Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
winni83

Default Battery Power Chainsaw

After much frustration getting my gas chainsaw to run I am seriously considering a battery operated chainsaw. Any recommendations as to brand and bar length? It will be used mostly for small to medium sized trees. Not for anything huge or which would require the services of a professional.

John Mercier --- help!!

Thanks.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #2
John Mercier

Do you already have a battery platform that you are using for other tools?

If so, it is much cheaper and cost effective to stay in the same format than to start into another platform.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
winni83

John:

No I do not have a battery platform. The only battery operated tool I have is an older drill, so I suppose manufacturers which offer a good selection of other tools which would operate off the same platform would be good. I am in Moultonborough and always try to buy local.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
John Mercier

You would need to see what your local has available and they should match prices... that is pretty standard among dealers of all sizes now.

You can also ask if that brand has a chain saw that the bar length can be changed out.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #5
FlyingScot

My son has a DeWalt with Flexvolt battery. He says it's great for power, battery life, and ease of use.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
My son has a DeWalt with Flexvolt battery. He says it's great for power, battery life, and ease of use.
If that's the same Flexvolt battery that works in their power tools, I'd be all over it as a kit. They're circular saw is absurdly powerful—the only one to cut a length of 6x6 with a buried blade. Second place? My Metabo!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:21 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default DeWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I have one of these also and love it!

Dan
Old 07-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #8
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I have one of these also and love it!

Dan
I am looking for a DeWalt cordless chainsaw; I have an oscillating tool snd drill/driver with two chargers and three batteries between them so really only "need" the saw.

Curious as to recommendations for a saw to use to do light work on the island. I have a Husqvarna 455 for big stuff.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #9
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I am looking for a DeWalt cordless chainsaw; I have an oscillating tool snd drill/driver with two chargers and three batteries between them so really only "need" the saw.

Curious as to recommendations for a saw to use to do light work on the island. I have a Husqvarna 455 for big stuff.
I am guess the batteries and charger are 20v... so DCCS620B.
That is a tool only. $199
Old 07-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I am guess the batteries and charger are 20v... so DCCS620B.
That is a tool only. $199
Yes that is the one I have….but it’s only $161.00 at Amazon…

Great tool!

Dan
Old 07-22-2022, 10:26 PM   #11
John Mercier

A Flexvolt kit would run around $399 for the 18" bar chainsaw.

It is an excellent system... but does bear a premium.
You can run 20v tools with the 20v/60v FLEX battery, but not the other way around.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:59 AM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We have one and love it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:15 AM   #13
jeffk

I have the DeWalt 20 volt Max with brushless motors in several tools; drill/driver, impact wrench, and just got a string trimmer this year. What I am most impressed with, after the proper operation of each tool, is the length of time the battery lasts AND holds it's charge. I have done multiday projects with the drill/driver, drilling and driving screws, on ONE charge and STILL had 2 out of 3 bars left on the battery. Just sitting on the shelf, the battery holds 3 bars for over 6 months. With older rechargeable batteries, after sitting on the shelf for a couple months, I would have to charge the battery again before starting a job. That never happens with the DeWalt. I am considering a work light for power outages, a circular saw, maybe a hedge trimmer and chain saw, maybe a blower and a sander.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
If that's the same Flexvolt battery that works in their power tools, I'd be all over it as a kit. They're circular saw is absurdly powerful—the only one to cut a length of 6x6 with a buried blade. Second place? My Metabo!

Yes--same as their power tools. He has one smaller battery and one larger that he swaps across multiple tools
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:16 AM   #15
TheProfessor

Have the Ryobi One +. Battery tools. All use same battery.
Drill.
Hand held small grass cutter/trimmer.
Weedwacker.
Chain saw.

The battery chain saw is good for small jobs.

Also have gasoline chain saw. 15 year old Jonsered. Always starts. But bigger and heavier.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #16
fatlazyless

For $13.88, do yourself a favor, and go with the Fiskar's 7" folding pruning saw which is a hand saw, powered by your arm and hand.

It will saw through pine very quickly. For sawing through oak it takes more time and personal energy.

83.5% of all homeowner tree sawing tasks can easily be done using the Fiskars 7" folding pruning saw before a larger hand saw is needed.

All chainsaws are inherently DANGEROUS to use and you is much more safe with a hand powered saw, plus a new sharp 7" hand saw for $13.88 works very good.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #17
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Have the Ryobi One +. Battery tools. All use same battery.
Drill.
Hand held small grass cutter/trimmer.
Weedwacker.
Chain saw.

The battery chain saw is good for small jobs.

Also have gasoline chain saw. 15 year old Jonsered. Always starts. But bigger and heavier.
I have the same system... but it isn't local to Moultonborough.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Belletetes in Moultonborough sells a lot of DeWalt. I think Heath in Center Harbor does as well?

Old 07-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #19
Garcia

Quote:
Yes that is the one I have….but it’s only $161.00 at Amazon…

Great tool!

Dan
Thanks! That is the one that is sitting in my Amazon cart; all signs say it's time to pull the trigger and order it.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #20
John Mercier

If you decide on Amazon, just keep the receipt.

We generally can not get warranty service for a tool without a receipt... and no one locally will have a copy of the invoice in their computer history.

We'll need that if you have an issue.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:51 AM   #21
The Real BigGuy

My son-in-law has a Milwaukee. All his battery tools are also Milwaukee. He loves it

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #22
John Mercier

The only problem I have with Milwaukee - and yes, we sell them - is the lawn mower options that currently exist. It is priced a bit out of the range of the rest of them.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:35 AM   #23
SailinAway

Quote:
Yes that is the one I have….but it’s only $161.00 at Amazon
With Amazon purchases, makes sure the seller is an authorized retailer (= approved by the manufacturer) and the manufacturer will honor the warranty. EGO, for example, will not honor the warranty for unauthorized Amazon sellers. Much better to buy it from a local approved seller even if it costs a bit more. A local seller might also be able to help you with a warranty claim. Plus local sellers have the discretion to just give you a new tool rather than making you go through the warranty process. That might be more likely with a large retailer like Lowes that can afford that kind of generosity.

As John pointed out in another thread and alludes to above, if you're new to battery-powered tools you have to look ahead at your future needs and make sure the selected manufacturer has the tools you will need and they have good reviews. This takes a lot of research. With EGO I got as far as feeling confident about their lawnmowers, snowblowers, and string trimmers. I ran out of time to research their chainsaws etc.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #24
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
With Amazon purchases, makes sure the seller is an authorized retailer (= approved by the manufacturer) and the manufacturer will honor the warranty. EGO, for example, will not honor the warranty for unauthorized Amazon sellers. Much better to buy it from a local approved seller even if it costs a bit more. A local seller might also be able to help you with a warranty claim. Plus local sellers have the discretion to just give you a new tool rather than making you go through the warranty process. That might be more likely with a large retailer like Lowes that can afford that kind of generosity.

As John pointed out in another thread and alludes to above, if you're new to battery-powered tools you have to look ahead at your future needs and make sure the selected manufacturer has the tools you will need and they have good reviews. This takes a lot of research. With EGO I got as far as feeling confident about their lawnmowers, snowblowers, and string trimmers. I ran out of time to research their chainsaws etc.
It isn't a generosity. We turn the tool back in and get a full refund.
I just did this with one of these Dewalt chainsaws. Seems the trigger didn't always work... safety issue... so new saw.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #25
TheProfessor

Quote:
With Amazon purchases, makes sure the seller is an authorized retailer (= approved by the manufacturer) and the manufacturer will honor the warranty.
Here. Purchase as little as possible from Amazon. There are other options such as Home Depot. Has mostly free shipping (for me anyway).

Or best to purchase from local vendor. Such as local hardware store or local lumbar yard.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #26
John Mercier

Dewalt has even taken the time to put out a warning.
https://www.dewalt.com/support/shop-safe

That is why we need the original invoice... if it isn't purchased from us... Dewalt needs to know where it was purchased.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #27
SailinAway

Quote:
It isn't a generosity. We turn the tool back in and get a full refund.
I just did this with one of these Dewalt chainsaws. Seems the trigger didn't always work... safety issue... so new saw.
Do you do this even when the tool is past the warranty?
Old 07-23-2022, 06:33 PM   #28
John Mercier

We aren't the ones that actually honor the warranty... it is Dewalt.
I tagged and sent the customer's saw to the service center... they determined that it couldn't be safely entered back into duty... and sent back a new one.

Round trip is just how long UPS Ground takes.

Lowes would take your saw... transfer it to their service center... and then send an email to the store to replace with a new one.

Had the Dewalt service center bothered to call me... I might have been able to save the customer a couple days as I had one in stock.

He seemed a bit amazed that it came back so quick and they decided on a new saw.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #29
DougNH

I run the dewalt 60V, DCCS672 60V FLEXVOLT 18". Yes the batteries are expensive but they are 20V/60V so you can run them in other 20v dewalt tools which is my platform.
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #30
codeman671

I use the Husqvarna T536LIXP 36 volt top handle saw for light work and love it. I also have their trimmer, pole pruner and hand blower.

I have the Milwaukee trimmer and hand blower but don't like them as much.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #31
winni83

Thanks for the replies. I am going to look into the DeWalt 60 volt 18 inch chainsaw.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #32
SailinAway

Quote:
We aren't the ones that actually honor the warranty... it is Dewalt. I tagged and sent the customer's saw to the service center... they determined that it couldn't be safely entered back into duty... and sent back a new one. . . . Lowes would take your saw... transfer it to their service center... and then send an email to the store to replace with a new one.
What I was trying to say is that some larger retailers will replace a defective item even well past the warranty date without making you go through the warranty process. I've had that experience twice---with a Craftsman mower from Sears and a Toro leaf blower from Home Depot. Walked in with an aggravating problem and walked out with a new machine. I didn't even have a receipt in either case. Of course, you need to have a good reason and be able to make your case persuasively. The mower had a known defective motor that was replaced in the next model and the blower lasted 2 years at 5 hours per year.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #33
ishoot308

Default Agreed

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that some larger retailers will replace a defective item even well past the warranty date without making you go through the warranty process. I've had that experience twice---with a Craftsman mower from Sears and a Toro leaf blower from Home Depot. Walked in with an aggravating problem and walked out with a new machine. I didn't even have a receipt in either case. Of course, you need to have a good reason and be able to make your case persuasively. The mower had a known defective motor that was replaced in the next model and the blower lasted 2 years at 5 hours per year.
I agree! Amazon has replaced power tools for me and my company a number of times. Many times they don’t even want the broken tool back, they just ship out a new one!

Dan
Old 07-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #34
Beardude

I have Snapper 60 V tools, chain saw, blower and lawn mower. I'm impressed with them. Now Snapper offers 84 V. My recommendation is to get the most powerful tools available. Some of the lower voltage battery tools just don't cut it, especially the blowers.
Beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #35
John Mercier

Quote:
The Toro Leaf Blower should have had a three year limited warranty (I worked for HD in their garden department).

Craftsman was a unique situation... Sears did some odd things as they owned the brand, currently the way that Lowes owns the brand.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #36
John Mercier

Quote:
I agree! Amazon has replaced power tools for me and my company a number of times. Many times they don’t even want the broken tool back, they just ship out a new one!

Dan
I'm not completely sure that Amazon is an ASD for any of the major tool manufacturers... so taking a broken tool back would just cost them shipping and disposal fees. The only choice they would have is to ship a new tool if they felt that it fell within the implied warranty.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #37
ishoot308

Quote:
I'm not completely sure that Amazon is an ASD for any of the major tool manufacturers... so taking a broken tool back would just cost them shipping and disposal fees. The only choice they would have is to ship a new tool if they felt that it fell within the implied warranty.
Amazon is listed on Dewalt's web site as one of their authorized retailers and has been for a while...No issues at all buying Dewalt on Amazon

https://www.dewalt.com/find-retailer

Dan
Old 07-26-2022, 08:24 AM   #38
John Mercier

ASD is authorized Service... not Retailer.

They are different.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #39
Brewstream

I have a Dewalt 20v 12 in chainsaw. It is great for small job - cutting trees and limbs under 4 in in diameter. Need to keep the chain sharp. Helps to have an extra battery handy.
Brewstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #40
ishoot308

Quote:
ASD is authorized Service... not Retailer.

They are different.
Understood... but my point being...as an authorized retailer, ANY DeWalt tool purchased there can be repaired at any DeWalt Service center... Though it has been my experience to simply return the tool to Amazon for a full replacement. I have no idea what they do with them but assume send back to DeWalt who then resells them as a refurbished tool...

Dan
Old 07-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #41
John Mercier

They won't repair it without us getting the receipt.

So when ordering on Amazon, then bringing it local... it is why I suggested they keep the receipt.

It is an authorized retailer, so Dewalt will honor the warranty... but unlike in my local system... I can't look up a sales history for Amazon.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #42
fatlazyless

You all want to fuhgetabout using a hand powered, pruning saw ..... you know ..... a hand saw ...... you MOST definitely need a large chainsaw ..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=75iOaMW-pTE ..... and bigger is betterer! ....
Old 07-29-2022, 06:07 PM   #43
granitebox

Amazon doesn't ship receipts with product and hasn't for years. All receipts are available online for many years back so you can easily find the order/item you need a receipt for and print out the receipt.

IME many of the online sellers issue electronic receipts so saving receipts isn't really necessary unless you're buying bricks and mortar.
granitebox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:23 PM   #44
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
Amazon doesn't ship receipts with product and hasn't for years. All receipts are available online for many years back so you can easily find the order/item you need a receipt for and print out the receipt.

IME many of the online sellers issue electronic receipts so saving receipts isn't really necessary unless you're buying bricks and mortar.
We have the history built into our system.
The problem being... they show up without it then get mad.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #45
Meredith_Resident

We have a Ryobi and it works well. Just be sure to check the chain tension often.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #46
Garcia

Default Dewalt DCCS620B

I ended up getting a cordless Dewalt DCCS620B. It works great - which is also its downfall. Ii is so easy to use and so convenient it has become my go to saw. I bought this one with the 12" bar for small, quick jobs but more and more have found myself tackling bigger and longer jobs because it is so easy to grab and go. I quickly run out of battery, not because the battery life is too short, but because I find the saw so easy to grab and use I find myself turning small jobs into bigger ones.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #47
SailinAway

Quote:
I ended up getting a cordless Dewalt DCCS620B. It works great - which is also its downfall. Ii is so easy to use and so convenient it has become my go to saw. I bought this one with the 12" bar for small, quick jobs but more and more have found myself tackling bigger and longer jobs because it is so easy to grab and go. I quickly run out of battery, not because the battery life is too short, but because I find the saw so easy to grab and use I find myself turning small jobs into bigger ones.
Three questions:

(1) How come the 5 amp battery for your Dewalt chainsaw weighs 1.4 lbs and the Ego 5 amp battery weighs 4.9 lbs? I'm hesitating to get a battery string trimmer and chainsaw because of the weight of the Ego battery on a handheld tool.

(2) What's the largest log you could cut efficiently with your saw?

(3) How long does it run on one charge, and how long does it take to recharge?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #48
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
A friend of mine also has a battery operated chain saw. He said buying an extra battery pack solved any issues of a dying battery while working longer jobs. He always keeps the extra charged battery with him when working in the woods so he never has any issues.

The biggest advantage of the battery chain saw? Lack of excessive noise!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #49
John Mercier

Quote:
Three questions:

(1) How come the 5 amp battery for your Dewalt chainsaw weighs 1.4 lbs and the Ego 5 amp battery weighs 4.9 lbs? I'm hesitating to get a battery string trimmer and chainsaw because of the weight of the Ego battery on a handheld tool.

Thanks!
1) Voltage output is different.

2) Single cut probably about 3/4 of the bar length, but a log can be rolled and with enough strength and control... about double the length of the bar... but I have seen professional amaze me with even a 12" bar. My 70 year old grandfather used to drop trees and use it to log... but a lot more effort than a 16" bar.

3) Dewalt suggests charging the 5ah 20v overnight... but requires at least 8 hours at room temperature to reach what they deem full.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #50
SailinAway

Quote:
1) Voltage output is different.

2) Single cut probably about 3/4 of the bar length, but a log can be rolled and with enough strength and control... about double the length of the bar... but I have seen professional amaze me with even a 12" bar. My 70 year old grandfather used to drop trees and use it to log... but a lot more effort than a 16" bar.

3) Dewalt suggests charging the 5ah 20v overnight... but requires at least 8 hours at room temperature to reach what they deem full.
You may have answered this in a previous thread, but is the voltage related to the number of cells in the battery and is that what adds weight? Do you think 4.9 lbs is too heavy for a handheld tool?

Wow, 8 hours is long! My Ego batteries take about 20 to 40 minutes. By the time one lawnmower battery runs out the other one is ready to go.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:54 PM   #51
John Mercier

Yes.
Also EGO has the fastest recharge on the market.

It isn't considered as important to DeWalt in that they focus on the range of tools that can be used and their 20v/60v Flex system has a rapid charger (not quite as fast as the EGO)... but that tool comes with the standard charger unless bought as a ''bare'' tool.

He could upgrade to the Flex battery and charger that would work if his 20v is a MAX... but the same amount of power in that system would require roughly a battery with 1/3 of the amp-hrs for the same run time. DeWalt doesn't make the Flexvolt in anything less than a 6ah as far as I know.

The chainsaws are actually more about balance than weight. Most gas-powered saws designed for homeowners will weigh a significant amount and may vibrate more than a professional design to be used continuously all day after day. So even with a big battery... electrics are rather light in comparison and have far less vibration. But they are just as dangerous, so care must be taken during operation.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:25 PM   #52
Garcia

Thought I answered these questions but I guess I didn't submit:

Three questions:

I am not sure

I cut up a 20+" beech with ease

I am guessing I got 15 minutes, maybe a little less, out of a battery. The saw was running pretty constantly. By the time I moved, split, and stacked what I cut (maybe 2 hours - I wasn't in a rush) the battery was charged.

With hindsight it would have made more sense to use the Husqvarna gas saw, but I really liked the ease and feel of the Dewalt. Because I have a gas saw and a corded saw, I am not ready to invest in multiple battery packs quite yet and will simply choose the best tool I have for the job at hand.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (09-27-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:35 PM   #53
ishoot308

Quote:
Thought I answered these questions but I guess I didn't submit:

Three questions:

I am not sure

I cut up a 20+" beech with ease

I am guessing I got 15 minutes, maybe a little less, out of a battery. The saw was running pretty constantly. By the time I moved, split, and stacked what I cut (maybe 2 hours - I wasn't in a rush) the battery was charged.

With hindsight it would have made more sense to use the Husqvarna gas saw, but I really liked the ease and feel of the Dewalt. Because I have a gas saw and a corded saw, I am not ready to invest in multiple battery packs quite yet and will simply choose the best tool I have for the job at hand.

Thanks!
You could get one of Dewalts 60 volt 12 AH flex volt batteries which is what I did. That battery is expensive however and probably cost just as much as the saw but it does last a long time and the added weight is hardly noticeable when using the saw.

In my opinion Dewalts 20 volt max along with their 60V flex volt platform is the best on the market as far as battery tools go. My business has had excellent luck with them and all we use at this point and we use them 8 hours a day 5 days a week….

Dan
Garcia (09-27-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #54
codeman671

I love my Husqvarna 36 volt saw, hand blower, trimmer and pole saw.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #55
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Mark Richter sells the Commercial 82V Greenworks gear- they also have homeowner and Pro lines. Their big saw will hang with a 50CC Husqvarna and takes a 18" bar.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:45 PM   #56
John Mercier

DeWalt builds one with a 20" bar for the Flexvolt.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #57
mhtranger

Not sure if you made your choice but this guy does a great review and test of several. https://youtu.be/U1lDxUMCY-M
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:08 AM   #58
thinkxingu

Just a note that Belletettes in Moultonborough/Center Harbor is running a DeWalt cordless chainsaw sale. Get one while they last!

Old 10-15-2022, 06:30 AM   #59
John Mercier

I think that may be DeWalt themselves.
They do a lot of specials.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #60
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Just a note that Belletettes in Moultonborough/Center Harbor is running a DeWalt cordless chainsaw sale. Get one while they last!
Flyer for Oct 6-16: https://online.fliphtml5.com/xrspa/hium/

The store may have a separate sale.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #61
John Mercier

All the stores match each other for in-stock items of the same brand/quality.
Basically because other than the Big Boxes, we all buy from the same outlets.

It is when something is not in stock, but needs a special order that can be pricey.