Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Default Samoset

My daughter is thinking about buying a condo at Samoset. Anyone out there have any info, good or bad, about this complex?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Biggd

Wow, nothing? Not sure if that's good or bad.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Wow, nothing? Not sure if that's good or bad.

I don't know anything about the association now, but i know when it was built, it was built by a quality builder unlike a lot of condos that were thrown together. I think it was finished in the mid 80s.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

The grounds are beautiful and kept up! The only two issues I have ever heard are...

#1. Not enough dock space for everyone. Many have to use moorings.

#2. Many people who own are allowed to rent out so you may have different neighbors on a regular basis. This may have changed over the years not sure...

Dan
Biggd (06-07-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 04:54 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Samoset

Everything should be OK now, But the project had a tumultuous start.

There was a restriction on the original deed. The land was restricted to be used only for the purpose as a camp for Jewish boys, something to that order. It wasn't clear up until the developer started to sell the condos. The association had to hire a lawyer to clear the mess.

Then the problem of Gilford having only a PT inspector. The developer tried to build all the units at once, overwhelm the inspector and the town tried to shut the project down a few times. Not sure about the quality, but there were rumours of code violations.

There was a dry river bed that flows from Rte 11 down to the lake at the southern end of the property next to Terrace Hill. It was overlooked by the town? The developer filled it in and built units over it. One year there was a lot of snow coverage. As it melts the spring the water had no place to go. Washed out the units and the neighbors along Terrace Hill Road. The association had to put in a drain conduit to the lake and a holding pond as the conduit was too small. Big bucks!

Not sure if it will cause problems in the future, but the developer sure made a killing on a beautiful piece of property!
Biggd (06-08-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
Biggd

I found someone that owned there for 17 years and was on the association board so we are getting a complete assessment.👍

Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Bigstan

The drainage is on the extreme right side of the property looking to the lake from 11, if you don't live on that edge you would never see it. It doesn't look at all bad either way. I forgot it was there and saw it for the first time in a long time yesterday.

There are not enough docks - there cannot be, 100+ units and not enough frontage. There are enough docks + moorings. There are restrictions as to how long you can be at a dock before you have to spend a day at a mooring. Needed as to prevent you from leaving your boat at the dock for extended time when they you not present.

Demographics have changed, original owners are leaving for FL and many have sold over the last few years, bringing many new owners and children where for years there have been few. Never known anyone to rent, though I have seen a couple units toward the rt 11 side of the complex that have been on Air BnB. Used to be you could spend a winter and be one of three or four occupied units, now it looks like ~ 20-30 are full timers / locals.

So great place, not a lot of restrictions, great grounds, great view if you find a unit in the front 1/3 of the complex. The last half dozen units sold in about a day at or above asking (one exception, which then sold immediately once the price was dropped so as to be back in line). So bring cash and be ready to go if you want one, they go extremely fast.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-08-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
IslandRadio

I rented there a few years ago - needed overflow space for 7 more people. Some owners rent their units.

Have looked at units there... the problem I have is the layout and all the STAIRS within the units (or at least some units - may be all). Also, at least with the unit I saw, the "master" bedroom is really a loft (with of course steep stairs leading to it).

None of this is a problem if you're young. I was looking at possible retirement homes. All the stairs probably would have been a bad idea (all is fine now) as people get into their very late years.

Just some thoughts....
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:33 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wlidwood Village

Off Lexington Drive in Laconia. Although it is on Lake Winnisquam it is a much quieter setting. There are units that are only one floor. Perfect for the retiree.

There is a beach, tennis courts, mooring (limited), canoe/kayak/Sunfish racks.

Only a few minutes from Lakeport. I actually walk the WOW trail to my boat in Lakeport. Units are on demand. Many already have dibs.