Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Pandemic affects on town meetings

With so much time on my hands to think.... I am wondering what will happen at this year’s town meetings, specifically the Moultonborough one that was postponed until April, and will likely be in May or June, maybe later. The interesting twist to this saga, which includes two articles regarding a community center and recreation center; the total expenditure if both were to pass is just shy of TEN MILLION DOLLARS! Now....here’s where it gets interesting. The meeting was postponed initially because of the Coronavirus because seniors were afraid to go out to large gatherings and there was a lot of pressure to postpone the meeting. The proponents of the huge expenditure for the rec. center were really excited at the prospect of having that article pass, which it might have without the senior population there to vote against it. Meeting delayed=no passage of either article. Now.....in today’s climate....with uncertainty, this dreadful pandemic, loss of jobs for many and resulting financial worries....will the climate change so that this huge financial burden might be lifted from the taxpayers? We’ll have to wait and see. Stay tuned.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:15 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Talking ...... a triple hit; smack-splash-whack!

As many in Moultonborough know, the Town of Meredith has its' Meredith Community Center that was built in 2006. Meredith and Moultonborough share their pickelball programs with Meredith & Moultonborough hitting indoor p-ball at the Meredith Community center gym from October through May, and then switching to the Moultonborough outdoor courts for June through September.

It costs the player/participants about $35/two month session, and always gets filled up with 24 players/session.

What the north side of the lakes region doesn't have is any indoor swimming pool, indoor ice arena, or indoor tennis courts.

Here's praying the old town team in M-boro will step up to the plate, come to town meeting, and smack out a triple hit! A triple hitter Moultonborough community center that includes four indoor tennis courts, a huge indoor swim pool, and a huge indoor ice arena ...... a triple winner ....... smack - splash - whack ..... definitely a big huge winner that will hit the spot ...... big-time ...... smack - splash - whack! ......

With the recent earthquake happening in the stock market, everyone's savings may be a wee bit down and out ...... so's the best way to fuh-get-about your money worries is to build that new Moultonborough community center and go smack - splash - wack! ....
Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Snowbirds can vote

While hard to know which way the votes will go, many snowbird residents will have returned and be able to vote in a town meeting for the first time. That, along with the new economic climate may make a difference.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
AC2717

I spoke to Laconia in hopes to hear about my abatement that I dropped off back in January. Not to my surprise it was not reviewed yet. I was told they canceled the April Meeting for board of assesors and do have a May meeting on the books for end of May but that as well could be canceled. I also know that as of now appeal results and second appeals have hard dates.

It got me thinking,
I was wondering why they couldn't use zoom or something to have their meetings and reviews, like the rest of us are doing, or conduct business from a distance one room end to the other.

Not saying this from a personal, get my appeal done, but just in general was wondering how govt officials in local towns are operating to keep business going. Marine Patrol and other groups are still conducting modified business
Old 04-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I spoke to Laconia in hopes to hear about my abatement that I dropped off back in January. Not to my surprise it was not reviewed yet. I was told they canceled the April Meeting for board of assesors and do have a May meeting on the books for end of May but that as well could be canceled. I also know that as of now appeal results and second appeals have hard dates.

It got me thinking,
I was wondering why they couldn't use zoom or something to have their meetings and reviews, like the rest of us are doing, or conduct business from a distance one room end to the other.

Not saying this from a personal, get my appeal done, but just in general was wondering how govt officials in local towns are operating to keep business going. Marine Patrol and other groups are still conducting modified business
I can't speak to government officials or all states, but MA and NH teachers are very much using remote connections to both meet with colleagues/administrators and students. It's brutal sometimes—like virtually herding cats—but we think it's essential to provide routine, continuity, and connection.

I would think government officials could do the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
TheProfessor

SB-2
and
Mail Ballots.

Problem solved.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
With so much time on my hands to think.... I am wondering what will happen at this year’s town meetings, specifically the Moultonborough one that was postponed until April, and will likely be in May or June, maybe later. The interesting twist to this saga, which includes two articles regarding a community center and recreation center; the total expenditure if both were to pass is just shy of TEN MILLION DOLLARS! Now....here’s where it gets interesting. The meeting was postponed initially because of the Coronavirus because seniors were afraid to go out to large gatherings and there was a lot of pressure to postpone the meeting. The proponents of the huge expenditure for the rec. center were really excited at the prospect of having that article pass, which it might have without the senior population there to vote against it. Meeting delayed=no passage of either article. Now.....in today’s climate....with uncertainty, this dreadful pandemic, loss of jobs for many and resulting financial worries....will the climate change so that this huge financial burden might be lifted from the taxpayers? We’ll have to wait and see. Stay tuned.
Considering this is NOT a dire need for the town, this should be tabled until such time as some normalcy can be restored and the process can move forward in a conventional way.

If there is an emergency that needs to be addressed that's an entirely different story.

Of course if there is some way the few that are hell bent to make this happen are given the chance to ram this through I'm sure they will. Don't underestimate the financial irresponsibility or better put ineptitude of a few who have no concept of the current state of affairs. This lasts long enough it's a given foreclosures will be on the rise, and that means less property tax revenues coming in.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Considering this is NOT a dire need for the town, this should be tabled until such time as some normalcy can be restored and the process can move forward in a conventional way.

If there is an emergency that needs to be addressed that's an entirely different story.

Of course if there is some way the few that are hell bent to make this happen are given the chance to ram this through I'm sure they will. Don't underestimate the financial irresponsibility or better put ineptitude of a few who have no concept of the current state of affairs. This lasts long enough it's a given foreclosures will be on the rise, and that means less property tax revenues coming in.
I completely agree with you. There are a number of questions to be raised: for one, is it possible to table a warrant article? Not sure if this is possible. This whole recreation center topic has torn the town apart over the years. The ones pushing so hard for it are not the ones who will bear the brunt of the costs to build and maintain an expensive facility.Their attitude has been to stick it to the waterfront residents and non-resident, non-voting property owners. Never mind that the school population has dwindled from over 700 to approximately 480 over the years. I guess it remains to be seen how reasonable people will be regarding essential vs. non-essential expenditures, given the current pandemic and economic uncertainties. Stay tuned.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

Banks always pay the taxes on foreclosed properties to protect their position. No loss of revenue to the town. If the taxes aren't paid and property is sold at auction, the ton gets the taxes from the new buyer, probably with interest.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
I completely agree with you. There are a number of questions to be raised: for one, is it possible to table a warrant article? Not sure if this is possible. This whole recreation center topic has torn the town apart over the years. The ones pushing so hard for it are not the ones who will bear the brunt of the costs to build and maintain an expensive facility.Their attitude has been to stick it to the waterfront residents and non-resident, non-voting property owners. Never mind that the school population has dwindled from over 700 to approximately 480 over the years. I guess it remains to be seen how reasonable people will be regarding essential vs. non-essential expenditures, given the current pandemic and economic uncertainties. Stay tuned.
I'm not by any means an expert on this stuff but I did do a little quick reading in regards to warrant articles and one thing that is not clearly defined is whether or not there is a specific time frame which a vote needs to be had. In other words can or could the town theoretically "continue" it as they see fit, leave it on the agenda. I find it hard to believe there are not ways to "tie up" or delay these if there is a desire to do so.

They make this stuff so overly cumbersome, ambiguous and needlessly complicated it's a wonder anything gets done. That said this is not unprecedented Hooksett postponed the last planning board public hearing due to this virus.

Think the town would be facing a lawsuit if they tried to have a public meeting in today's environment where many would not show up or have something online where there is no guarantee that everyone who wanted to attend, speak up or vote has the technology available to do so.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
ApS

Arrow Crisis + Waste

Quote:
"Never let a good crisis go to waste ".
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have an issue before the Laconia Planning Board on Tuesday night. They have already informed me by email that they will not allow more than 10 people in the room at a time, including board members and staff. They are going to send an additional email about the schedule and how they hope to accomplish this.

It will make it difficult for things like asking if there are any neighbors to the project that wish to speak or someone that wants to go before the board with engineers and attorneys. It should be interesting.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Side note on the rec. center

I happened to be speaking with someone who is very involved in town government, and the graduating class at Moultonborough Academy is 48 this year (last year’s was 22), but next year’s will revert to a low number again. This begs the question yet again: “why do we need a $6.7 million facility for so few people, with declining school enrollment and population in general?” I have yet to hear a compelling answer. Can someone please enlighten us?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #14
Wifi-1

Someone wants to name the center after themselves.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #15
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Oh, puhleeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Someone wants to name the center after themselves.
Now that would be about as revolting as the dollar expenditure!