Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Donzi Minx
Senior Member
 
Donzi Minx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melrose, Mass.
Posts: 164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 139 Times in 41 Posts
Smile A week at the lake

I just returned from a week's vacation at the lake. Having been a long time devotee of the West Alton location of my late Uncle's property, I can genuinely
appreciate the major differences in locations on the lake. The rental property that I stayed at on Black Point Road in Moultonborough was just a wonderful experience. So serenely quiet at the North end of the lake compared to the Smith's point area. One night at dusk bride and I observed three deer galivanting from across the street into the woods behind the property. I need to sell my North Suburban home location soon so that I can live out my final days in the area of New England that I so cherish!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,167
Thanks: 1,457
Thanked 919 Times in 572 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I just returned from a week's vacation at the lake. Having been a long time devotee of the West Alton location of my late Uncle's property, I can genuinely
appreciate the major differences in locations on the lake. The rental property that I stayed at on Black Point Road in Moultonborough was just a wonderful experience. So serenely quiet at the North end of the lake compared to the Smith's point area. One night at dusk bride and I observed three deer galivanting from across the street into the woods behind the property. I need to sell my North Suburban home location soon so that I can live out my final days in the area of New England that I so cherish!
You should have no problem selling in Melrose, that towns real estate is on fire.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 391
Thanked 474 Times in 231 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I just returned from a week's vacation at the lake. Having been a long time devotee of the West Alton location of my late Uncle's property, I can genuinely
appreciate the major differences in locations on the lake. The rental property that I stayed at on Black Point Road in Moultonborough was just a wonderful experience. So serenely quiet at the North end of the lake compared to the Smith's point area. One night at dusk bride and I observed three deer galivanting from across the street into the woods behind the property. I need to sell my North Suburban home location soon so that I can live out my final days in the area of New England that I so cherish!
I've been here since early April. Shortly after I arrived I had three deer come down to my beach for, what I thought was going to be a sip of water...Nope they went into the lake and swam to Stonedam Island, about 1/2 mile away. Experience of past tourist seasons and crowded summer on the mainland, must have motivated them to "summer on the island"...And I have a fox that visits every night. And a bear sometimes. I have a video of the bear but when I try to upload it, I get an "invalid file" message.

Oh...And I've caught 19 mice. All outside, but they get into my truck and eat the air filter. I've replaced two filters in two weeks at $27 each. I feed the mice to the fox. I've got videos of that also.

And a Momma duck and her (originally nine, now eight) ducklings spend most of the day in my yard. I've read they will eat all the ticks they can find, so I'm encouraging them...For now...While I await "The unintended consequences"...They always occur.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-23-2021), trfour (06-19-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
YOLO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I just returned from a week's vacation at the lake. Having been a long time devotee of the West Alton location of my late Uncle's property, I can genuinely
appreciate the major differences in locations on the lake. The rental property that I stayed at on Black Point Road in Moultonborough was just a wonderful experience. So serenely quiet at the North end of the lake compared to the Smith's point area. One night at dusk bride and I observed three deer galivanting from across the street into the woods behind the property. I need to sell my North Suburban home location soon so that I can live out my final days in the area of New England that I so cherish!
I hope you are able to find a suitable and affordable (to you) home up here. So little on the market. I was lucky to find what I did in October and seek to move here permanently like you when my kids head off to college. The rat race down south is just not my idea of quality of life.
YOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
bman60
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 22
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default A week at the lake

Good for you. We waited too long to buy a lake getaway. The prices are now out of our reach. Probably just rent a place for a week here n there. Even the rentals for a week are expensive. For the same money we could go to Aruba all inclusive and guarantee good weather!Hold on i just saw two more condo listings with the price doubled in three years.I missed the boat for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by bman60; 06-25-2021 at 11:15 AM.
bman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
Juiced06GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 137
Thanks: 7
Thanked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I love the north part of the lake. We rented in Alton this year as the place we stayed in and loved last year couldn't handle the additional family coming with us this year. I am a little bummed since we won't have the long scenic boat rides to get everywhere this year. I put over 30 hours on the boat in 7 days last summer just running all over the lake during our vacation! I love that the graveyard keeps most people out of the north side of the lake haha!
Juiced06GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 894
Thanks: 497
Thanked 324 Times in 191 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
I love the north part of the lake. We rented in Alton this year as the place we stayed in and loved last year couldn't handle the additional family coming with us this year. I am a little bummed since we won't have the long scenic boat rides to get everywhere this year. I put over 30 hours on the boat in 7 days last summer just running all over the lake during our vacation! I love that the graveyard keeps most people out of the north side of the lake haha!
I think you have it backwards, far fewer challenges boating on the south side of the lake and you can easily cover more miles of water per day. On an average boating day we will leave Paugas Bay, hit Meredith, then down to Wolfeboro, on to Alton Bay and maybe pit stop at the West Alton sandbar on the return trip to Lakeport.

When the traffic is modest and the wind speed low, you can cover tons of miles in a day on the south side of the lake.

Now if you want to build your piloting skills, then you definitely want to boat on the north side of the lake. It will test your map and marker reading skills.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #8
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,415
Thanks: 1,075
Thanked 1,428 Times in 855 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
I love the north part of the lake. We rented in Alton this year as the place we stayed in and loved last year couldn't handle the additional family coming with us this year. I am a little bummed since we won't have the long scenic boat rides to get everywhere this year. I put over 30 hours on the boat in 7 days last summer just running all over the lake during our vacation! I love that the graveyard keeps most people out of the north side of the lake haha!
Yup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #9
Juiced06GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 137
Thanks: 7
Thanked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Default

You don't head north of the grave yard much do you? Its a different lake up there, not so much about the miles covered, its time exploring! A sunset cruise up through Greens Basin and Lee's Mills is tough to match anywhere else on the lake aside from maybe the quick cruise through Sally's Gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I think you have it backwards, far fewer challenges boating on the south side of the lake and you can easily cover more miles of water per day. On an average boating day we will leave Paugas Bay, hit Meredith, then down to Wolfeboro, on to Alton Bay and maybe pit stop at the West Alton sandbar on the return trip to Lakeport.

When the traffic is modest and the wind speed low, you can cover tons of miles in a day on the south side of the lake.

Now if you want to build your piloting skills, then you definitely want to boat on the north side of the lake. It will test your map and marker reading skills.
Juiced06GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.73341 seconds