Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
jpjm

Default sand bars

any sandbars around Melvin village marina or a place to anchor and get out in the water with the little ones
jpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
anticd70

The only 2 sandbars that I know of are Braun Bay and Smalls Cove. However of the sand bars I've only been to Braun Bay. If you go during the week to Braun Bay with the kids you wont have any issues. The weekends get busy there but in my opinion still not a bad place to be with kids.

I sail out of Melvin Village every year and its not as far as you think from Braun Bay and the kids will like going under the bridge by Trexlers Marina.
anticd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

If you're new to navigating, have a small engine, or need to drop the bimini to get under the Long Island Bridge, getting to Braun Bay will take a while. You might check out Ragged Island (east side is tricky to get in, but is real nice and protected, or you could dock and walk to shallows--also has an outhouse). You might also check out the small sandbar before going under LI bridge. Finally, there are public beaches around--such as 19 Mile Bay's--that you could anchor outside of and swim into. Godspeed!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
jpjm

Default sand bars

thanks for all the info Very helpful enjoy your weekend and be safe
Old 06-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
fatlazyless

There's a sand bar, or a large shallow area with a sandy bottom just to the north of Leavitt Beach in Meredith, close to Center Harbor, that extends up to the community boat docks at Patrician Shores. It is about two-four feet deep with a number of submerged rocks, but is mostly sandy.

It's a pretty good spot for kayak fishing, especially fly fishing, because Leavitt Beach has a separate dirt road to the water for unloading kayaks. It's a small dirt road that goes from the back of the parking lot down to the water's edge. Along the shoreline there, immediately north of Leavitt Beach, it's an undeveloped wooded, treed conservation land with large trees, and a brook running through the treed conservation land there probably helps to feed the local fishies.....especially after a big rain.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
66WINN

Stopped going there because of the duck itch
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
jpjm

Default sand bars

I'm in Melvin village and like to know where the sand bars are close to here any help would be thankful
Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjm View Post
I'm in Melvin village and like to know where the sand bars are close to here any help would be thankful
Braun Bay would be the closest to you. Gets pretty crowded on weekends, but it's a very nice sand bar.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
belawinn

Depends on what sort of experience you are looking for. I also recommend Patrician shores across from black cat island on approach to Center Harbor. Smaller but more tame. Get there by 10

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
belawinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
thinkxingu

I answered in your other sandbar post, but one other I've not seen mentioned is W. Alton behind Rattlesnake. It's a ride across the Broads, though, compared to the other ones I mentioned.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjm View Post
any sandbars around Melvin village marina or a place to anchor and get out in the water with the little ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticd70 View Post
The only 2 sandbars that I know of are Braun Bay and Smalls Cove. ...
I am not a sandbar aficionado. I don't know what makes a sandbar good or bad unless it's so shallow as to damage one's propellor.

In addition to Braun Bay and Small's Cove (a.k.a. West Alton), I've seen people sandbarring in Paugus Bay, just south of The Margate. There's also a very small one near Hornet's Nest Point. I've never heard anyone mention any others.

Is there something wrong with the huge sandbar right in front of Melvin Village? I know that the water is so shallow that MVM had the entrance dredged a few years ago. Yet, I've never seen anyone sandbarring there. In places, the water is only about two feet deep. I also believe the area south and west of Black Island (Moultonborough) is mostly sand, but I haven't been in that area for several years.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
I am not a sandbar aficionado. I don't know what makes a sandbar good or bad unless it's so shallow as to damage one's propellor.

In addition to Braun Bay and Small's Cove (a.k.a. West Alton), I've seen people sandbarring in Paugus Bay, just south of The Margate. There's also a very small one near Hornet's Nest Point. I've never heard anyone mention any others.

Is there something wrong with the huge sandbar right in front of Melvin Village? I know that the water is so shallow that MVM had the entrance dredged a few years ago. Yet, I've never seen anyone sandbarring there. In places, the water is only about two feet deep. I also believe the area south and west of Black Island (Moultonborough) is mostly sand, but I haven't been in that area for several years.
Good question on MVM--I'm always wondering that myself. Anyone know?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
FlyingScot

Quote:
Is there something wrong with the huge sandbar right in front of Melvin Village?
Lots of chop from boat traffic, tricky navigation. Just not an inviting place for a dip.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #14
Phantom

Quote:
I am not a sandbar aficionado. I don't know what makes a sandbar good or bad

I've never heard anyone mention any others.
There are actually a number of "other" spots ..... but (as with us) you will not ever hear them mentioned here for fear that they become over run...... and you find that the next time you pull up - there is a "raft" of 32 footers that have taken over the cherished spot on ya. Patrician Shores aka Farrar Point is prime example !

The smart ones keep the quiet hideaways to themselves ... to KEEP them as quiet hideaways !

Old 08-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
jpjm

Default sand bars

a little hint and thanks to all for the info