Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Winnipesaukee Transportation Co.

Hi All,

Just found this site and it is most interesting and informative.

I am looking for information regarding the Winnipesaukee Transportation Co. The company owned and operated the Governor Endicott. Charles W. Tyler was manager and treasurer of the company and had also been one of its organizers. It was located on Union Avenue at Black Brook until 1918 (where Fitzgerald Motorsports is today). Charles Tyler owned the land and sold the property to William Rudzinski in 1918, at which time the Laconia-Lakeport Ice Co. was established. The deed mentions the sale included land only and that a certain marine railway belonging to the Winnipesaukee Transportation Co. was not included in the sale. The company would have a year to remove it from the property. It apparently was never completely removed as part of it, at least remained there until the mid to late 1940’s. It consisted of a building with two large doors facing Paugus Bay and there were tracks extending out into the lake. Apparently it was used to launch boats of some kind. I have been told it may have been used for the Gov. Endicott.

Does anyone know whether this was where the Gov. Endicott was brought in winter for maintenance and overhaul? Charles Tyler died in 1932 and his obituary states that he was an enthusiastic boatman and had among the first, if not the first, naphtha launches on Winnisquam.

Thank you.

Chickie
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Governor Endicott

Welcome to the forum Chickie!

Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee, by Paul Blaisdell, has this photo from 1923 that shows the Governor Endicott in for repairs at Lakeport near the end of her lake career. There are a couple other stories about her in this book along with reference of Winnipesaukee Transportation Co. When I have more time, perhaps I can look into this further for you.

A quick forum search came up with a couple forum threads you may be interested in.

Excerpt from Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee and Other Historical Stuff

Governor Endicott Question

Let us know if you find more before we do. Good luck!

Be sure to search PhotoPost too.

Farewell Old Mount Washington, by Edward H. Blackstone, has a couple of photos, which I could scan at a later time. Upon a quick reference, it confirms the Lake Winnipesaukee Transportation Company had their base of operations in Lakeport.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Weirs guy

Huh, I never realied how much the Governor Endicott looked like the Mount II.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Chickie

Many thanks for the information and photo of the Gov. Endicott in dry dock in Lakeport. As the date of the photo is 1923, it would have been taken after Winnipesaukee Transportation Co. sold its land at Black Brook to Rudzinski in 1918. They must have moved to another location in Lakeport after that time. I thought I read somewhere that the W.T.Co. sold the Governor Endicott in 1919. Is this correct?

I am in the process of putting together a bit of history on the Black Brook section of Lakeport and would like to learn more about how it fits into the picture of the properties I am researching. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. I will keep searching for information and will post anything I find out.

Thanks again,
Chickie
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Boardwalk Bluesboy

Default Photo Gallery of the Governor Endicott

Anyone interested in the Governor Endicott may want to take a look at a photo gallery of the steamship that I have put together on a webpage of the WeirsBeach.com website here:
http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ttcollage.html.

(There are also photo galleries on WeirsBeach.com for the Mount (old and new), Uncle Sam, Sophie C., and the Doris E. They are accessible from the Attractions webpage.)

Webmaster
WeirsBeach.com
Boardwalk Bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Chickie

Default Winnipesaukee Trans. Co.

What a wonderful collection of Gov Endicott photos/postcards. I was especially interested in the one showing the old Weirs Channel Bridge. I was talking to a gentlemen just recently, now in his 80's. He and his brother were two of the youths who jumped from the bridge onto the Mt. Washington to lower its level the day of the launching. He was explaining the construction of the bridge back then and how they were able to do it.

A very worthwhile and interesting site for those of us who are hooked on pursuing local history. Thanks so much for leading me to it.