Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
randalnh

Default Covering Hull Number

I am installing an extended swim platform on my boat and it will be a permanent installation. The lip of the swim platform will cover the stamped-in hull numbers in the upper right side of the transom. The location of the hull numbers makes it infeasible to cut a viewing port in the swim platform lip as the hull number and the platform edge are at the same spot.

Do I need to have the hull number inspected and certified by Marine Patrol or other regulatory body before permanently covering up?
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Bandrews7

I would do whatever you can to certify that it is there. If you ever sell the vessel you will need to be able to see the hull Id
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
Kamper

If the original numbers aren't visible for inspection, things will get awkward if they are ever checked. I expect the boat might be impounded and the swim platform removed to make the numbers visible. There might be a fine and quite probably you would be responsible for the costs and any damages.

You can expect to repeat this procedure when checked by any other jurisdiction. You will likely be told to not re-install the swim platform so it may not come to that!

It may not be 'practical' but if you really want that particular platform, get a mechanic to cut an inspection port in the right spot. The only other alternatives that I can see are to get a different boat or try another platform design.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
Dave R

I would just buy an 8mm metal stamp set on ebay and some color matched gelcoat from Spectrum Color, then melt the HIN into a part of the hull that is visible when the platform is installed, and gelcoat over it. Would take an hour or two to do. It may not even be illegal and the numbers will match the other HIN that's somewhere else in your boat.

Here are the legal requirements: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...se33.2.181_117 Nowhere in there does it say you can't add a third HIN and it does have an exception for the situation where an accessory prevents normal placement of the HIN.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Making a rubbing of the numbers can be helpful .....using a pencil and paper and some masking tape to hold the paper in place over the hull numbers while you rub out the rubbing.

For registering a 30-year old fiberglass sailboat, and providing hull identification at time of registration without having the boat present, the MP suggested I create a rubbing .... just like what's done with an old grave stone...and the MP looked up the 17-digit hull number in their computer info reference data-base to match up the sailboat with the hull number....and it worked out hunky-dory.....because it was a dory!

You just show up at the temporary MP-Hqtrs in Laconia, next to the county jail, and bring along your rubbing etching, pencil drawing paper for positive identification, and they will take it from there!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default You can get it straight from the horses' mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalnh View Post
I am installing an extended swim platform on my boat and it will be a permanent installation. The lip of the swim platform will cover the stamped-in hull numbers in the upper right side of the transom. The location of the hull numbers makes it infeasible to cut a viewing port in the swim platform lip as the hull number and the platform edge are at the same spot.

Do I need to have the hull number inspected and certified by Marine Patrol or other regulatory body before permanently covering up?
You could email the Marine Patrol at marinepatrol@dos.nh.gov and pose the question to them.

Or call them at (603) 293-2037
(877) 642-9700 (toll free

Might eliminate problems down the road
Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
codeman671

Sometimes the platform is formed with a dip in the area of the HID plate so that it is still visible when mounted. Do you actually have the platform in your possession? Is it a factory or 3rd party platform?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
randalnh

Default Hull Number

Thanks for the suggestions. My boat mechanic down the street cut an inspection port in the swim platform and the HIN is now visible! I guess I was a little concerned about cutting holes in a brand new swim platform, but he had the tools and skills to do it and it came out great.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Kamper

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. My boat mechanic ... had the tools and skills to do it and it came out great.
I'm glad it worked out.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
dippasan

Quote:

Just curious where you purchase the platform from. Did you get it from the manufacturer or from Swimplatforms.com?

I'd love to do the same thing on my boat.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
randalnh

I purchased from Swimplatforms.com. Main reason was that they had a template for my boat. The platform fits perfect - like it came from the factory. My experience with them was great as well.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
dippasan

Thanks.
Great to hear it fits so well. They have a template for my boat as well.
Did you install yet and if so how long did it take?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
randalnh

Installation is still "in-progress". Having to get the hull number view port cut into the platform cost me a day last weekend and this week has been to crappy to be able to use caulking or 3M 5200.

Overall, the job is challenging, but mostly from having to disassemble the back of the boat to be able to get into the voids where the platform bolts up. I am pretty handy and have the tools, so I am not worried about finishing up, but, be ready for anything - I had to drill out three screw heads in the seat supports because whomever touched them last (not me) stripped them. Stainless steel is pretty soft, so not too much trouble, but just a PITA when trying to get the job done. Also, the hull number issue was a surprise.

If you have help (definitely need one or two people to help) and are good with your hands, I say go for it. If not, get a marine mechanic (or two) to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to randalnh For This Useful Post:
dippasan (10-05-2015)