Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
winnitru

Default Do you know my house?

Long timers tell us that years ago our house on Winnipesaukee was in a coffee commercial. Most people say it was Maxwell House and that it was from the 1970's. But I've also heard it was Folgers and it was the 80's.

The family that sold us the house sold it reluctantly and have left the area so getting information from them is a non starter.

So far I have be unable to get any concrete information. Can anyone on this forum give me any details? Or give me any suggestions on how to have a more productive search? I would love to have a copy of the commercial, if indeed it was this house!

Thanks!
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
KayakinKid

What part of the house was shown? Interior or exterior? Any specifics on what decor to look for?

Check out youtube.com, and put 70's Maxwell coffee commercials or 80's Folger's commercials in the search box. If you know what you're looking for, you just might see it.

Does your house have a large stairway just inside the front door? If so, check out the 80's Folger Christmas Commercial.

If you still have the previous owner's full names, I may be able to track them down for you. I've found far more with far less information.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

If it is on Tuftonboro Neck and has the porch almost on the water, it was Maxwell House coffee. I think it was more like the 80s but I lose track of time. If that is the house, it was owned by Dr Scholl. It has been remodeled in recent years. The commercial was the only time I ever ran to the tv to watch. I loved it! My Dad worked for Dr. Scholl when he was a kid.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-31-2011), winnitru (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
ITD

There are many old Maxwell house comercials on youtube......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
winnitru

Yes! That is our house. We remodeled the house when we bought it in 2001.
We tried very hard to keep the charm and integrity of the turn of the century fish camp while making it livable for our family.

I have never heard of the the Dr. Scholl connection, is that the Dr. Scholl of foot care fame or someone of the same name? I thought the family that sold us the place had it since the 50's.

I have done an exhaustive internet and youtube search... to no avail. Any other ideas?
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Letter to Maxwell House marketing Dept?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
tis

Yes, it was the Dr Scholl of footwear fame. That is the house I was always TOLD was their's I have no proof other than that though. I would never have called that house a fish camp. I always thought it was beautiful.

I might add, the two children of Dr Scholl came to visit my Mom a couple of years before she died which was almost 5 years ago now. They are both doctors. (They are probably retired by now too.)
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
tis

I will be interested if you find out if your house WAS the Scholl house. I know they had a place there, just not sure if it was YOUR house.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
lvfreeordie

Hi, you purchased the house from my family. We owned that one and the one next door which was sold shortly after. The house was in the family for generations and was never a fishing camp but was initially built as an inn and was so when my great grandfather bought it. It was green with white trim and as on the water as it gets in Wingate Cove. Dr. Scholl never owned the house and I have no recollection of someone by that name living in Wingate. We knew just about everyone in the cove. The commericial was of Maxwell House Coffee where a woman walked out onto the porch to enjoy her early morning coffee. It was filmed in the middle of the afternoon but they used lighting and fog machines to make it look like early morning. Maxwell also paid the neighbors behind you to keep their dog quiet for the day. I believe it was filmed in the 80's (I can't entirely remember when). We built the second house in 1989 and I belive the commericial was filmed before then. I haven't been able to find a clip of the commericial. If I do, I will forward to you.
lvfreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lvfreeordie For This Useful Post:
gslpro (04-24-2013), Senter Cove Guy (04-23-2013), winnitru (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfreeordie View Post
Hi, you purchased the house from my family. We owned that one and the one next door which was sold shortly after. The house was in the family for generations and was never a fishing camp but was initially built as an inn and was so when my great grandfather bought it. It was green with white trim and as on the water as it gets in Wingate Cove. Dr. Scholl never owned the house and I have no recollection of someone by that name living in Wingate. We knew just about everyone in the cove. The commericial was of Maxwell House Coffee where a woman walked out onto the porch to enjoy her early morning coffee. It was filmed in the middle of the afternoon but they used lighting and fog machines to make it look like early morning. Maxwell also paid the neighbors behind you to keep their dog quiet for the day. I believe it was filmed in the 80's (I can't entirely remember when). We built the second house in 1989 and I belive the commericial was filmed before then. I haven't been able to find a clip of the commericial. If I do, I will forward to you.
When did you live there? My father worked for Dr. Scholl probably in the late 30s, early 40s.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfreeordie View Post
Welcome lvfreeordie! You will be properly greeted by RLW soon, I am sure. I find it amazing that you just joined the forum this month and saw this thread and made your first post today. Were you lurking for some time, and this thread caught your fancy and you decided to respond, or did someone tip you off to it? Anyway, welcome I'm sure you will be a good source of info for other topics as your family spent many generations on the lake.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
lvfreeordie

@tis my great grandfather bought the place in the early 40's. I'm not sure who he purchased it from. At the time it was three lots, one on each side with 500+ feet of frontage. Eventually one lot was sold to the neighbors and the other was built on in 1989. We had the house until it was sold in 2001. I've always thought it was the best spot on the lake although I might be a little partial . Broke my heart to see it go... however I am pleased it went to the people who own it today. Very nice people.

@Pineedles Thanks for the warm welcome. I was browsing around the other day and one search led to another and so on until eventually and accidently I stumbled upon this thread. I was happy to help. I noticed the original post was years ago but thought it was worthwhile to comment. It's about time I registered anyway.
lvfreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
tis

I wish my father was still alive so I could get more details. I do know he would not have been working there in the 40s. My parent's were married in 42. He worked there as a kid, so I don't know how old it was but it would be way before 42. I wish you could find out who your parent's purchased it from. My father always said he worked for Dr. Scholl and it was that house (maybe he didn't remember the right house) and the daugher and son of Dr. Scholl visited my Mom about 8 years ago.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Guy

I know my wife can often find the chain of ownership on NH Deeds. It can be pretty entertaining to see the selling prices a 100 years ago. The data base is pretty flexible.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote