Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Ropetow

Default Ice Airport?

Anyone know if the Alton Bay Ice Airport will be operating this year? I think Ossipee Valley Aviation used to have a lot to do with it, and their web site (along with flyaltonbay.com) is down. I know OVA pulled out as the fixed base operator at Skyhaven in Rochester, but I didn't think they went out of business. If so, how will this affect Alton Bay?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Unhappy Probably not open this year

I talked with a person associated with O. V. A. last year, and was told they probably would not be involved with the airport any longer for several reasons.

Setting up, getting approvals, and maintaining it was time consuming, with no monetary reward...simply a labor of love.

Weather being not cooperative over the past few years.

Ice fishing inside the airport safety zones established around the perimeter of the airport area (Alton Bay Runway was as much an airport as Laconia, as far as safety zones are concerned.)

Snowmobiles running up and down the runway, or crossing the runway, especially when there was standing water on runway surface, which caused damage to the surface, and when it froze, was then a hazard to planes landing.

Cars parked and people standing too close to runway.

It is too bad, because the aircraft landing and taking off drew people down to the bay and provided some increase benefit to the businesses in the bay. The fly-in by AANH in conjuction with the winter carnival on President's day weekend made for a great day on the bay.

Call it burnout, call it frustration, apply whatever term you want, but unfortunately it appears that it just isn't worth it anymore.

Thanks OVA for all you did in the past.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Blue Thunder

Default The runway is there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
Anyone know if the Alton Bay Ice Airport will be operating this year? I think Ossipee Valley Aviation used to have a lot to do with it, and their web site (along with flyaltonbay.com) is down. I know OVA pulled out as the fixed base operator at Skyhaven in Rochester, but I didn't think they went out of business. If so, how will this affect Alton Bay?

Checking the Alton Bay Cam this morning, it looks like the runway is plowed on the Bay.

BT
Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Checking the Alton Bay Cam this morning, it looks like the runway is plowed on the Bay.BT
Yes it does -- see picture.
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Default Not by OVA

I spoke with one of the members of the Alton Business Association (ABA), who are one of the co-sponsors of the Winter Carnival.

It was one (or more) of their members who plowed. They have been talking with the FAA about the airport, and they need a "manager".

I can not tell from the picture or by driving by the end of the bay if they have the safe zones from the taxiway to the runway and from the runway to the parking area. It also looks like the end of the runway is farther away from the bandstand than usual, which puts it closer to the boat houses which have bubblers going and usually have a fair amount of open water in front.

I hope they get someone out from the FAA to make sure that all safe zones are present, and then I hope that those with whom the airport shares the ice will respect those zones and keep off the runways, taxiways, and parking areas.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
ladyslipper

Default I second that!!

"I hope they get someone out from the FAA to make sure that all safe zones are present, and then I hope that those with whom the airport shares the ice will respect those zones and keep off the runways, taxiways, and parking areas."

very well said, "UPTHESAUKEE"
ladyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Justenuff

Default Plowing on Alton Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Checking the Alton Bay Cam this morning, it looks like the runway is plowed on the Bay.

BT
I went through Alton Bay on Monday and saw that the plows were working on the ice. My father in law said it was probably for ice racing, but it looked like a runway to me!
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
dbahn

New poster here, a pilot Googling "Alton Bay ice runway".

Looks like the ice runway is officially open, thanks to the efforts of one of your local enthusiasts, Paul Rochelle. There was an email sent out from the Bureau of Aeronautics. (I edited the link to make it work.)

Quote:
"We have good news! The Alton Bay Ice Runway is now open, as of
last Friday (1/23) . We had strong interest from the local business
owners on the need to have the ice runway open. The new airport
manager is Paul Rochelle. He is a local business owner near the bay.

We recommend that all pilots check the NOTAMS before landing on the
runway. The NOTAMs provide additional contact information for
conditions at the airport. The link is below:

https://www.notams.jcs.mil/ (enter airport as "KB18")

Could you please provide this information to the pilots through your
associated organizations.
Thanks

Trish

Tricia L. Schoeneck Lambert
Aeronautics Administrator
Bureau of Aeronautics
603-271-1674 "
A group of us (pilots) on a discussion board are very excited that Paul (and I presume some friends) have taken on the task of plowing and maintaining the runway. I flew in there in my Piper Cub last year and was looking forward to doing it again when it closed for the season. A group of us is already planning to meet there this Sunday for breakfast, weather permitting.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who is involved in this. We are very appreciative and are anxious to support the effort any way we can. I called Tricia Lambert yesterday and thanked her for anything she has done to support it. Looking forward to dropping in this weekend, probably in the Cub...

Dave Bahnson

Last edited by dbahn; 01-28-2009 at 08:21 AM.
dbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
trfour

Thumbs up Best News I've Heared All Winter

Thank you dbahn, business will be picking up at the Alton Webcams! I have many friends around the world that have been waiting for this great news!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Steve Di.

Default Winterfest?

Are they still planning on holding a winterfest in Alton Bay this year? I have enjoyed coming up to visit the Winterfest and watch the activity at the Alton Bay Airport.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbahn View Post
New poster here, a pilot Googling "Alton Bay ice runway".

Looks like the ice runway is officially open, thanks to the efforts of one of your local enthusiasts, Paul Rochelle. There was an email sent out from the Bureau of Aeronautics. (I edited the link to make it work.)

A group of us (pilots) on a discussion board are very excited that Paul (and I presume some friends) have taken on the task of plowing and maintaining the runway. I flew in there in my Piper Cub last year and was looking forward to doing it again when it closed for the season. A group of us is already planning to meet there this Sunday for breakfast, weather permitting.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who is involved in this. We are very appreciative and are anxious to support the effort any way we can. I called Tricia Lambert yesterday and thanked her for anything she has done to support it. Looking forward to dropping in this weekend, probably in the Cub...

Dave Bahnson
Dave: I am a resident of Alton Bay and I also applaud the locals who wanted to see the airport open, both for the flying public and our businesses in the bay.

Since Ossipee Valley Aviation got out to the business, it looked for a while like the ice runway would be a thing of the past.

If you follow this link: http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...2009.01.22.pdf

you will see a picture of the guys plowing the runway.

and this link: http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...2009.01.29.pdf

a picture of a plane parked.

Just watch closely on your approach...power lines along side rte 11 with orange balls (right at the end of the bay), and of course watch for the snowmobiles, vehicles, and people in close proximity to the runway.

Keep the rubber side down, the shiny side up, may you find plenty of runway ahead of you and sky above you. See you in Alton Bay.

Dave C.

PS there will be a winter fest President's day weekend on the Sunday. Some events for most the of the day, but some only from 1-3 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Kevin C

Default Alton Bay Airport

Alton Bay Cam showed 3 planes parked on the ice in Alton Bay Monday mid-afternoon.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
Are they still planning on holding a winterfest in Alton Bay this year? I have enjoyed coming up to visit the Winterfest and watch the activity at the Alton Bay Airport.
From the Baysider 1/29/09
Quote:

ALTON
— The Alton Business Association (ABA), in association with the Parks and Recreation Department, has lined up a full slate of activities designed to beat back the winter blues during next month’s Winter arnival, scheduled for Sunday,Feb. 15. The day’s festivities will begin at 8 a.m., ith a pancake breakfast at the Alton Bay Community Center. Tickets for the breakfast are available in advance ($5 per person, children under two years of age free) by calling 875-6161 or 630-3675. Breakfast will be followed by sled demos, beginning at 10 a.m. and running until 3 p.m.; a 50/50 raffle from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (tickets $1 each or six for $5); and a bob-house decorating contest from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Helicopter rides ($30 per person) will begin at 11 a.m., along with sleigh rides ($5 per person, $15 for a family of four, or $20 for a family of five or more); a snowshoe obstacle course contest; and appearances by the Penguin and the Ice Princess. Ventriloquist Donna Marie will provide visitors with warmth and laughter during a special show at her Puppet Patter Plus boutique, llocated in the Shoppes on the Bay building, at 11:30 a.m. The afternoon will bring a tug-of-war contest at 12:30 p.m., followed by town-sponsored ice bowling and DJ music and a second 50/50 raffle at 1 p.m.; a town-sponsored scavenger hunt at 1:30 p.m.; and a “Crazy Hat” contest at
2 p.m. The carnival will culminate in the Great Alton Bay Bed Race at 3 p.m., preceded by the parade of racers at 2:45, with the awards ceremony following at 4 p.m. at the bandstand. Hot chili, french fries, hot dogs and hamburgers will be served throughout the day, along with both warm and cold drinks. Please note that all events and times are subject to change. Swing by the ABA tent the day of the carnival to register for events, purchase raffle tickets, and sign event waivers.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
Collybus

Adding on the dbahn's post:

There are several pilots and planes that are planning on flying in this Sunday morning. For me, this will be my first time visiting and operating on an ice runway, and I'm glad for the opportunity. Many thanks to Paul, Roger, Steve and Andrews Marine!
Collybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
TexASH Pilot

Default Thanks!!

Many thanks to everyone that had a hand in getting Alton Bay open this year.

I've flown into the ice runway at Alton Bay a few times, and it's always the highlight of an otherwise dreary Wintery flying season. It's really a unique experience and one of my favorite destinations in New England.

This Sunday, a group of very excited pilots will be visiting B18, some for the first time. We'd discussed the possibility of a fly-in event at B18 earlier in the year and were very disappointed to hear the news that Ossipee Valley Aviation had gone out of business and it looked like the ice runway was a thing of the past.

Again... thank you for opening the Alton Bay ice runway!! Your efforts are very much appreciated!
TexASH Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Moss Creek Media

When are you guys planning on flying in on sunday? I've been wanting to take some photos of the planes landing and taking off on the ice.

Will you be on skis or wheels?

Kirk
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
dbahn

I think the target time is 10:30 and the list of planes from our group seems to be up to about 6 or 7 so far, all on wheels except for maybe one on skis.

Last edited by dbahn; 01-29-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up

I have only watched the "Airport" in operation once but it is quite a sight to see. I wish I could be there to see it this year.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexASH Pilot View Post
Many thanks to everyone that had a hand in getting Alton Bay open this year.

If you do fly in, Brian at the corner store in Alton Bay can fill you in as to who was involved in getting the ice airport open this year.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
riverat

If any of you want a hot beverage, stop by the tan bobhouse closest to the plane parking area. I'll have a pot of hot water going.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #21
TexASH Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
If you do fly in, Brian at the corner store in Alton Bay can fill you in as to who was involved in getting the ice airport open this year.
Great... thanks for that! I'll be sure and stop in.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #22
dbahn

Does anyone know if there is autogas (non alcohol added) available within walking distance of the airport? I can use that in the Cub, although I can also just fly over to Laconia as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Collybus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Creek Media View Post
When are you guys planning on flying in on sunday? I've been wanting to take some photos of the planes landing and taking off on the ice.

Will you be on skis or wheels?

Kirk
I'll be coming in in little red and white plane....if you make my landing look good on video, I'll buy a copy!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
Slickcraft

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is autogas (non alcohol added) available within walking distance of the airport? I can use that in the Cub, although I can also just fly over to Laconia as well.
No, the Alton Village Store (about 1 mile walk) recently had to go over to 10% methanol.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
dbahn

Thanks. It'll probably be easier to fly to Laconia than walk a mile with a 5 gallon can anyway.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
Steveo

Default Where is no ethanol gas

Quote:
Thanks. It'll probably be easier to fly to Laconia than walk a mile with a 5 gallon can anyway.
I wasn't aware of any station that can still serve non ethanol gas. Are you saying the Laconia airport still does.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #27
dbahn

I would get aviation fuel (100 LL, i.e. 100 octane Low Lead) at the Laconia airport, which works fine but is a little more expensive. The Cub is certified to also run on auto fuel, but the ethanol causes some problems with some of the fuel components in the system, so it's best to avoid it.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #28
TexASH Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I wasn't aware of any station that can still serve non ethanol gas. Are you saying the Laconia airport still does.
There are three airports that I know of that sill serve 87 Octane unleaded auto gas with no ethanol.

Hampton, NH (7B3)
Minuteman/Stow, MA (6B6)
Plymouth, MA (PYM)
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #29
This'nThat

Default Airport is filling up

If you build it -- they will come. Sunday morning, 1 Feb. As of 11:30, 12 airplanes parked at the airport.
Attached Images

Last edited by This'nThat; 02-01-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Add another picture
Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
Moss Creek Media

Here are the panoramics I shot this morning out on the ice:

http://www.mosscreekmedia.com/post/F...Alton-Bay.aspx

Kirk
Old 02-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #31
TexASH Pilot

I just got back from the fly-in... nice to see pictures of our airplanes! I love the panoramic... that's awesome!

We had a great breakfast at the diner... that place really does do breakfast right!

We also stopped into the store, chatted with the folks (including Brian) a bit and dropped some cash into the "airport maintenance" bucket. If anyone else flies in, PLEASE support the plow drivers!

Again... we're very thankful the airport is open and appreciative of the efforts of all to open the runway this year.

This n That hit the nail on the head... if you build it, we will come!

We're looking forward to coming back over President's Day weekend for the festival, weather permitting.

Here's a video of my flight in case anyone's interested in seeing what it's like to fly in and out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTx0TrFADk
Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #32
TexASH Pilot

The cub seemed to be the big attraction. It's a beautiful airplane.

Here's the owner, Dave (dbahn) starting it up:

Old 02-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #33
This'nThat

Quote:
Here's a video of my flight in case anyone's interested in seeing what it's like to fly in and out:

Cool video. And don't forget -- don't do this.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #34
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Wow. But he managed to pull out of it. I'd say he did ok! Must have been kind of scary for a while.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #35
upthesaukee

Default Feedback for the crew

Quote:
I just got back from the fly-in... nice to see pictures of our airplanes! I love the panoramic... that's awesome!

We had a great breakfast at the diner... that place really does do breakfast right!

We also stopped into the store, chatted with the folks (including Brian) a bit and dropped some cash into the "airport maintenance" bucket. If anyone else flies in, PLEASE support the plow drivers!

Again... we're very thankful the airport is open and appreciative of the efforts of all to open the runway this year.

We're looking forward to coming back over President's Day weekend for the festival, weather permitting.

I hope you were able to give them some feedback on what can be done to improve the airport next year...You can appreciate what they did this year: fly by the seat of their pants. Any constructive criticism you pilots can give would I am sure, be appreciated, and I would be happy to print out the thread for Brian and the plow guys. They are really proud of what they have accomplished, and appreciate you guys flying in.

Dave

OOOOOPS: I forgot to say what a great video that is. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #36
TexASH Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I hope you were able to give them some feedback on what can be done to improve the airport next year...You can appreciate what they did this year: fly by the seat of their pants. Any constructive criticism you pilots can give would I am sure, be appreciated, and I would be happy to print out the thread for Brian and the plow guys. They are really proud of what they have accomplished, and appreciate you guys flying in.

Dave

OOOOOPS: I forgot to say what a great video that is. Thanks.
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the offer! Glad you liked the video too.

The runway is in GREAT shape. I think they did a great job. It's straight, nice and wide. There's enough snow left on the ice to allow for a small amount of braking action. The only thing I can think of that they could do better is maybe prepare a little more space for parking. On a busy weekend like the 15th could be... they're going to need all the space they can get. That's going to be tough to do this year... the snow they plowed to the edges is now rock hard... nothing's moving that stuff.

Would you mind sending me a mailing address for Brian? We dropped some $$ in the can at the store, but I've already had one pilot who didn't join us today ask where they could send those guys some money for their time and effort. You can send it via PM here or via email to andyrickard@yahoo.com.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #37
Steveo

Quote:

Nice video. I am curious, you landed (heading south) in the opposite direction of your takeoff (heading north). Did the winds shift, is wind direction not an issue?
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #38
dbahn

The wind did shift after most of us landed. I think if there was no wind at all, most people would prefer to land to the south and depart to the north. That way you are able to avoid a lot of extra taxiing, and you also avoid flying low over the town itself. The only downside is that in that situation you have planes flying towards each other if it's busy. That's perfectly legal, but best to avoid.

I would agree with Andy about the need for more parking, which is a good measure of the success of the venture as well, by the way. It was fine yesterday, but I can see some real congestion if you get good weather in 2 weeks.

As a pilot who's flown in twice, I can tell you that the fun is less the process of landing on ice and more that it's just a nice town with nice people. The nice little diner helps too.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
Blue Thunder

Default Looking for another venue?

Sounds like you guys had a great time. If you have any interest there will be a Fly-in on Sebago Lake in Maine, the weekend of the Sebago Lake Fishing Derby which is February 20-22.

The posted guidance is here: http://www.icefishingderby.com/2009_Fly-in_Guidance.pdf

The main website for the derby is here: www.icefishingderby.com

Blue Thunder
Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #40
Slickcraft

When I stopped at the corner store this morning, Brian the storekeep was talking to a pilot from Hampstead, NH who had just flown in with a student pilot making his 1st ice landing. Coincidentally my wife and I were in the ice on Saturday when the same pilot flew in with another student making an ice landing. I can imagine that an ice landing must be quite an experience for a student.

Brian was explaining how much coordination was required to get the runway open this year. And then there are the several folk with snowplows that created the actual runway, taxi run and parking; quite a bit of plowing.

As has been noted there is an airport maintenance bucket for contributions to pay for the gas used by the plow truck guys. So if you fly in, visit the store, consider the diner or the other near by eateries and fly home safe.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #41
upthesaukee

Default Emailed you

Quote:
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the offer! Glad you liked the video too.

Would you mind sending me a mailing address for Brian? We dropped some $$ in the can at the store, but I've already had one pilot who didn't join us today ask where they could send those guys some money for their time and effort. You can send it via PM here or via email to andyrickard@yahoo.com.
I sent you an email. Again, thanks to you and to dbahn for you fine support of the ice runway. Your suggestions will just make it better and better for this season and subsequent years as well.

Dave
Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #42
Moss Creek Media

Anyone know what was up with the flat tire on the green Cessna that was to the left of the J3 (in my panoramic)?

Kirk
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #43
Collybus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Creek Media View Post
Anyone know what was up with the flat tire on the green Cessna that was to the left of the J3 (in my panoramic)?

Kirk
Yup, that was Jonathan, one of our group from a pilot forum. Somewhere in the air between Concord and Alton Bay, he ran over a nail or something...

He got back okay, no property damage or fatalities. Someone on the lake went the extra mile for him and brought their air tank over to fill his tire. Another example of what great folks you are over there! We all had a terrific time and I'm looking forward to returning on the 15th.

About that Grumman pilot who missed the runway a little in that video above....we get no respect...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #44
Iceguy

Post Alton Bay Ice Airport

Hello. I'm Paul LaRochelle. Just joined the Forum. Thought it would be a good idea to be on this site, incase there were any questions concerning the ice runway. I am currently the new Alton Bay B18 Ice Airport runway manager. (FAA approved). I am not a pilot. I have been plowing the runway, with Steve and Roger assisting me. So grateful to have them. We are all thrilled with the enthusiam of all the pilots and local residents. Everyone in Alton loves to see the planes fly in at the Bay, as they tell Brian. When you check your NOTEMs, you will see my phone number, 603-875-3498.
And you will get the current conditions of the runway.
It was a great fly-in day on Sunday. I was on the ice most of the day, talking with alot of the pilots. To answer a question, one pilot, with the green plane, got a flat tire, so I went and got my air caddy tank, and the Pilot and I filled it with air. I hope we can keep up the tradition, and runway as in the past!
Any questions or comments, I will try to answer.[EMAIL="larbr@worldpath.net"]
Paul LaRochelle (Iceguy)
P.O. Box 390
Alton Bay, NH 03810
Iceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #45
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceguy View Post
Hello. I'm Paul LaRochelle. I am currently the new Alton Bay B18 Ice Airport runway manager. (FAA approved).
Thanks for stepping in, Paul. Nice job you and the others are doing. I'm sure the community really appreciates it -- more than they can show, even. I know I appreciate it -- and I'm not even there!

Don't be afraid to let us know what you need. There will be someone on this forum that can help, I'm sure.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #46
TexASH Pilot

Paul!! Welcome, and THANK YOU!!!

Being an airport manager is usually a thankless job... I hope we can do a good enough job changing that for you. You and the rest of the crew did a great job on the runway and those of us that flew in from all over New England (one as far away as Poughkeepsie, NY) on Sunday sincerely appreciate the effort.

I hope the weather's good on the 15th, our group is itching to fly up again!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #47
RI Swamp Yankee

To Iceguy, as a tourist who loves to see the planes and activities on the ice at Alton Bay, THANK YOU. You reinforce my belief that people in the North Country are a cut above the rest.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #48
upthesaukee

Default Thanks Paul

As an Alton Bay resident and loving to see the town and especially the bay being used as a family source of entertainment, the way you guys stepped up to the plate has been fantastic.

With the great input you will get from the pilots and your endeavors, the Alton Bay Ice Runway will continue to be a must go destination for years.

Now about trying to smooth out the waves for the seaplanes in the summer...

Great job and I'll see you in the bay or at Amilyn's. Thanks again for all you do.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #49
trfour

Default I Appreciate and Applaud Those Whom....

have worked to keep the winter Airport in Alton Up and Running! As a long time resident, watching those planes landing and taking off on the ice has always been a winter highlight for me!
Thank you all,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #50
riverat

Hi Paul, as the inhabitant of the tan bobhouse closest to the runway parking area with the American flag flying proudly I truly love sitting and watching the planes flying in and out. And seeing the joy on the faces of young and old looking up in amazement and saying "here comes another one!" Akso makes for great pastime when the fishing is slow.
I watch you guys plow for many hours day after day to maintain the runway, and it is great to see the recognition you are receiving for it. Thank you
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #51
rrr

Default curious

Just curious - where are you flying in from?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #52
upthesaukee

Default Airport Information

In case anyone would like further info on the airport, here is a link to the AirNav website that has some nice information about the airport.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/B18#notes

And in Iceman's first post, he mentions NOTAM's, which is an acronym for NOtice To AirMen (perhaps just a little sexist) (Gotta admit it reads better than NOTAW or NOTAP) . NOTAMs are notices about safety issues, general info that may not be found on charts, changes to info that are on charts, etc. Here is the link for the NOTAM's for Alton Bay B18 for this year:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/geo/geoQuery.html

Note: I got a certificate error from Microsoft when I first went to this link. I clicked on ok to continue and it took me to the page.

It seems that B18 is still the only FAA authorized ice runway in the country, and again Kudo's to Paul (Iceman) and his crew of volunteers for keeping it up.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #53
dbahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Just curious - where are you flying in from?
Our "group" flew in from several different locations, including Pougheepsi, NY, Rutland, VT, Norwood, MA, Nashua, NH and maybe one or two other locations. At least one pilot coming from Maine had to cancel because of snow squalls in the departure area.

That group only accounts for 5 or 6 airplanes, though. I'm not sure where the others were coming from.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #54
dbahn

Say, some of the pilots from the "Purpleboard" have offered airplane rides to Brian and the guys who are plowing the runway, if they are interested. We hope to have another group (mostly the same people as flew in Sunday so far) fly over for the Winter Carnival in 2 weeks, so weather permitting we'll touch bases before that.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #55
Iceguy

Default Alton Bay Airport

Hi Everyone!
Just wanted to say "thanks" for all your support. The picture of the tan bob house was great, with the American Flag waving proudly.
Off to plow the runway! (Unfortunately I had to close it this morning due to the snow.) Will re-open soon.
Ice Guy
Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #56
Collybus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceguy View Post
Hi Everyone!
Just wanted to say "thanks" for all your support. The picture of the tan bob house was great, with the American Flag waving proudly.
Off to plow the runway! (Unfortunately I had to close it this morning due to the snow.) Will re-open soon.
Ice Guy
Hey Paul...how about an insider's update? There's a lot of anticipation in the pilot community for the festival this Sunday!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #57
Iceguy

Default Alton Winter Carnival

Hello Collybus,
If you look at the "Baysiders" thread, you will see a list of all of the day's events. The storm date is February 21, 2009. Let's hope for good weather.
Now, in my opinion, pilots should come in early for breakfast, before it gets too busy. (Note for all pilots: from 2:45 - 3:15, the runway will be shut down for the Ice Bed Race only). The reason for this, is it is the only place to have the bed race, an Alton Bay tradition, put on by the Parks and Rec Dept. I will be posting this on Notems, so all pilots will be aware of this time. I will also have my hand held radio to communicate with any pilots. We hope to have a great day. See you on Sunday!
Paul (Iceguy).
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #58
TexASH Pilot

Really looking forward to coming this Sunday!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #59
RLW

It appears from the Alton web cam that they are out there plowing water off of the runway. Hopefully we get some cold weather before Saturday and Sunday so that the runway can be used and that the snowmobiles stay off of it so it doesn't get roughed up so planes can't land.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #60
RLW

Talking Hope the weather is good to the Alton activities

By the sounds of the weather forecasts that I have been hearing one will need to put water ski's on the beds and life jackets on the musher's. I hope that they are wrong and the temperatures do go down low enough to freeze all the warmer weather melting so that all the activities including the planned fly-in came be done.
It appears that the Forum freeze the water dance must begin and begin now.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #61
TexASH Pilot

Hey Paul,

When you get a chance, can you give us an update on the condition of the ice?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #62
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

What fun to hear from you Paul. We know each other. I love reading what you are doing. Let me say, I just hope you don't quit your day job!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #63
Seaplane Pilot

ALL TAKEOFFS & LNDGS MUST BE NORTH OF THE BANDSTAND. ALL TRAVEL SOUTH OF THE BANDSTAND MUST NOT EXCEED HEADWAY SPEED.

Found this statement on AIRNAV listing. Pretty funny if Marine Patrol is out there issuing tix to planes for exceeding headway speed in a no-wake zone!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #64
Iceguy

Default Update on Runway

Hi Everyone.
Had to close the runway down today because of standing water and slush. Did not want to make ruts in the runway ice when it freezes. Tonight and tomorrow should be colder, hopefully this will be good for the weekend.
Hope to see you all on the weekend!

Paul (Iceguy)
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #65
dbahn

Good move.

I'm kind of curious. How do you manage to keep the snowmobiles off the runway when it's wet like this?

Sunday is expected to be a gorgeous day - sunny with temps right at the freezing level and a few cold nights before that. We're keeping our fingers crossed...
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #66
TexASH Pilot

The weather's looking great! Looks like the only variable might be the runway conditions, but hopefully your decision to close (a wise one!) and a few cold nights will fix it right up.

Looking forward to another trip to B18!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #67
Iceguy

Default Snowmobiles

It's not easy. Only if we are at the bay or near the runway we can stop them. Fish & Game will stop the snowmobilers if they see them too. But for the most part they have been cooperative.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #68
upthesaukee

Default Lucky

Quote:
Good move.

I'm kind of curious. How do you manage to keep the snowmobiles off the runway when it's wet like this?

Iceguy and his crew have done a good job of getting the word out: Stay off the runway, and as he says, for the most part it has been good.

It would only take one idiot to run down the runway when it is starting to freeze, that would make the strip unsafe for you pilots.

As hard as the guys have worked, I hope temps down to 15 over night, and pretty cool temps during the day will salvage at least one more weekend.

Thanks to all you pilots for supporting their efforts, and the town of Alton.

Dave
Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #69
Iceguy

Default Update

Airport is open. Runway looks good but it will be slick. The parking area we have will take about 30 planes at a time however, we may be able to park a few out side of that area. Hope to see you all at the carnival. I will be on the ice if you should need assistance. I'll will be wearing a green vest.
Ice guy
Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #70
dbahn

Paul, do you have any advice for pilots who fly in and find the parking area full? Should they avoid landing there, or can they be pushed into an alternative area for parking?

Tomorrow may be a bit windy, but it sounds like Sunday will be a picture perfect February winter day. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for this event.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #71
Iceguy

Default Runway Update

Hello.
The runway will still be opened. However, the taxi way is shut down due to standing water on top of 2 feet of ice. We do not want anyone slipping into a snowbank. As it stands now, all flights will have to back taxi on the runway. As far as the parking area, at best 30 planes. I will be on the ice for any assistance. It may be possible to bring some planes into where I drive onto the parking area. This area is bumpy. It would be up to the pilots to park in this area. It was a shame that we had all the rain and warm temps this week. The ice is still safe.
Iceguy
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #72
TexASH Pilot

Thanks for the update, Paul.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow, and again, we really appreciate all the hard work.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #73
TexASH Pilot

We had a blast at Alton Bay today. The weather couldn't have been better, great food (Olde Bay Diner for Breakfast, Shibley's Drive In for Clam/Lobster rolls), airplanes, helicopters, snowmobiles, good people... what more can you ask for?

Considering Alton Bay is the only remaining FAA approved Ice Runway in the US, it's fantastic that Paul and his crew stepped up to keep it that way and very refreshing to see a community support an airport rather than try to close it down.

Here's a shot of the hardest working man at Alton Bay:

Hope you got a better meal than that frozen burger when you got home, Paul... you earned it!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #74
hazelnut

It really was amazing to see that today! What a great effort on behalf of that man. It was incredible to watch the planes taking off and landing today. Add the helicopter and the bed races and the sleigh ride and the..... etc. etc. It was a fun day indeed. My twin boys loved it. Here is a crude cell phone photo of a long shot of the airstrip plane parking with two planes ready for takeoff.
Attached Images

hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #75
This'nThat

Quote:
Here's a shot of the hardest working man at Alton Bay:

[ Hope you got a better meal than that frozen burger when you got home, Paul... you earned it!
I want to also salute the pilots and runway keepers (plowers), in addition to Paul. You pilots were the attraction, and you couldn't have done it unless the runway was kept in tip-top shape. As I said before, my only view was the webcam; but from what I saw, you thrilled all the kids there -- from 3 to 63! Thanks for your time and your enthusiasm. I'm like you -- it's good to see good people soaking up the fun today.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #76
Ropetow

Thank to you for everyone for making the Winter Carnival an amazingly fun afternoon. Special thanks to the crew that made the ice airport possible. It was truly a day to remember.

PS---The helicopter rides were a blast!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #77
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Pics from Alton Bay today

We were on our way through Alton and stopped to take a couple of quick pics.

Name:  Alton Bay  2-15-09 1.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  194.4 KB

Name:  Alton Bay  2-15-09 2.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  Alton Bay  2-15-09 3.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  98.7 KB
Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #78
TexASH Pilot

Some of the pilots that flew into Alton Bay (and have posted here... dbahn, Collybus, myself) also belong to a pilot-oriented forum called "The Purple Board for Pilots." This is where we all originall met and we use the forum to discuss aviation topics, shoot the bull, and plan fly outs to events such as our two trips this season to Alton Bay.

There's a great, albeit long, thread on our forum that shows the genesis of our planning of the event from the disappointment in the very beginning when we thought AB wouldn't open this year, to our excitement and appreciation when it did open. Some of you might find it interesting.

At Dave's (dbahn) suggestion, I've created a user account any of you can use to view the thread if you're interested. The latter pages contain discussion of our latest trip, including a whole bunch of our pictures and videos.

To view the thread, click here:

http://www.purpleboard.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9778

The user name you can use is: Alton Bay Guest
and the password is: guest

Any of you are more than welcome to join up, register and post.

Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #79
dbahn

Everyone who had anything to do with pulling this thing off should be commended. "Build it and they will come" worked for us as pilots, and we shouldn't be credited with anything except wanting to have a good time.

As I mentioned on our own (Purple) board, the whole thing just represents a slice of Americana that should be cherished. It's very refreshing to me to see a community event like this that also attracts outsiders like us, and to see everyone having such a good time.

(For anyone who wants to login in as "Alton Bay Guest" and enter password "guest" (rather than register) and just pick up on the posts and pictures for Winter Carnival weekend, you can just go directly to page 31 to start.)

Thanks again for all of the hard work.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #80
upthesaukee

Default Thanks for the link to the Purple board

and you guys are waaaaayyyyy too funny.

Nice to see other folks having a good time on their forum.

Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #81
TexASH Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
and you guys are waaaaayyyyy too funny.

Nice to see other folks having a good time on their forum.

Dave
Life's more fun when you don't take everything too seriously.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #82
chipj29

Default Next fly-in?

My 13 year old son is a HUGE aviation buff. He wants desperately to be a pilot, starting in the Air Force after HS. I would really like to take him up to Alton Bay to see a bunch of planes coming and going, I think he would get a kick out of it. Are there any dates planned this winter when there might be a bunch of you pilot guys meeting up?
Thanks
Chip
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #83
dbahn

I don't think we have plans to meet up at Alton Bay again this year, but next weekend is a similar event (said to have even more airplanes) at a Lake Sebago fishing derby. Here's some of the information.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #84
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Life's more fun when you don't take everything too seriously.
Amen brother amen. Life is way to short without lot's of fun.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #85
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't think we have plans to meet up at Alton Bay again this year, but next weekend is a similar event (said to have even more airplanes) at a Lake Sebago fishing derby. Here's some of the information.
That's to bad, but we sure enjoyed all of the company that you all gave use the last 2 big weekends and thank you for being so good to the public who had many questions and enjoyed the landings and take offs. We all look forward to next year when you all come back and also for those that weren't able to come on the big weekends and will be coming at any time during this season. Thanks again to you all.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #86
Iceguy

Default Alton Bay Winter Carnival 2009

Hello Everyone!

WOW!!!! What a day it was. This was probably the best turn out we ever had. The Alton Business Association with help from Parks and Rec really pulled it together. I had a blast talking with all of the Pilots, especially, dbahn,(Dave), Texash, and Collybus and Joel. We think there was approximately 700 people that attended the carnival, and I estimate, over the course of the day, about 70 planes flew in to the Bay. The pilots and all the planes have been the talk of the town. Thanks so much for all the pictures, and yes, Donna made me a good warm meal.
Paul
Old 02-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #87
trfour

Thumbs up "Supurb Job By All."

Hopefully all of the Photos, Videos and Pans will keep us revved up until next year!! I think that collectively we all willed the weather to cooperate and we will start the dancing for 2010 at an appropriate time!!

Thank you all again,
Terry

Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #88
Blue Thunder

Default Call ahead...

Quote:
You might want to drop an email to either of the guys on the fly-in guidance memo to find out if the event is still happening. Although the ice is thick enough, as of this Monday past, there was no runway of any kind set up on Jordan Bay. The ice surface is extremely rutted and rough and, in my opinion, not suitable for landing. There is 6-10 inches of snow forecasted for tonight as well. As much as we'd love to see it, I just don't want you guys to make an unnecessary trip.

Blue Thunder
Old 02-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #89
RLW

Talking Runway and other ice related activities

This writer has a favor to ask anyone in the Alton Bay area. I'm enjoying all the festivities mostly the plowing and the plane activity on the lake via the Prudential Spencer-Hughes web cam however it is starting to be hard to watch Paul do his thing with the pick'em up truck because of the icicles in front of the camera. Would one of you good Samaritans please go in and ask them to remove the darn things.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #90
Ropetow

What's worse: Icicles or spiders?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #91
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
What's worse: Icicles or spiders?
ICICLES as they are bigger and spides, one can see around them and they take up very little space.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #92
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
This writer has a favor to ask anyone in the Alton Bay area. I'm enjoying all the festivities mostly the plowing and the plane activity on the lake via the Prudential Spencer-Hughes web cam however it is starting to be hard to watch Paul do his thing with the pick'em up truck because of the icicles in front of the camera. Would one of you good Samaritans please go in and ask them to remove the darn things.
Thanks in advance.
I'll take care of them on my next visit; scheduled now for 15 May.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #93
RLW

Talking Don't think I can wait

This'nThat, I don't think I'll be able to wait that long as it is growing awful fast. Maybe I can get to the Bay today and check into it. Oh, how did I do with the picture below. I think I figured it all out thanks to you.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #94
RLW

Default Spencer-Hughes web cam

Need help again. We were able to get rid of the icicles nicely, but now they have turned the camera away from all the nice action and pointed it towards Harmony Park which there really isn't anything to look at this time of the year. Can someone stop in and request politely if they can change it back to the active location.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #95
EZ-Pass

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Need help again. We were able to get rid of the icicles nicely, but now they have turned the camera away from all the nice action and pointed it towards Harmony Park which there really isn't anything to look at this time of the year. Can someone stop in and request politely if they can change it back to the active location.
Eureka, Thank you RLW as the camera appears to be back to the right, well the active site.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #96
upthesaukee

Default Wind

Wind seems to be the culprit, as it seems that many times we have high winds coming down the bay, the camera seems to take a swing to the right and ends up giving a nice view of the beach.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #97
dbahn

Well, hot from the Purple Board, where everyone waited for weeks for Bob to finish his much anticpated Alton Bay Video, here it is:

http://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo...ad.php?t=11322

You don't need to register, but you can log in as "Alton Bay Guest" with password "guest".
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #98
Collybus

And with that build-up, let me say that it took weeks to make, not because I expected to create a high-quality production, but because creating a low-quality production taxed my abilities to the limit. I suggest not viewing it until mid-July, when you might overlook the quality just so you can see ice again...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #99
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Quote:
Well, hot from the Purple Board, where everyone waited for weeks for Bob to finish his much anticpated Alton Bay Video, here it is:

http://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo...ad.php?t=11322

You don't need to register, but you can log in as "Alton Bay Guest" with password "guest".
Wow thanks for posting the link.Now I'm going to Youtube and do an Alton Bay search and watch more.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #100
RLW

Thumbs up

By the looks of the lake, it appears that the winter activities have stop for another winter season. Oh well, another nice season is coming along with the little pesky bugs. Bye Air Port and all the great people that made it all possible this winter.
Attached Images