Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Above And Beyond Safe Boating Requirements??

With the recent and many accidents that have occurred thus far this year, I thought it might be a good idea and a good topic to discuss what you do as a boater that goes above and beyond what the law requires to ensure the safety of your crew, vessel and those boating around you. I'll start it off...

We have had many different family and friends this year visiting our camp and as soon as they get on my boat they all get a quick "safety briefing". Basically the briefing consist of offering PFD's to anyone who wants one, where the PFD's and fire extinguishers are located and what to do in case of an emergency.

I also inform everyone that they are to remain seated and hands stay inside the boat during docking and un-docking. I ask that they do not help me in any way with docking the boat unless I specifically ask them to. I usually repeat that last one twice since everyone always tries to reach out and grab the dock post when I don't want them to! (God I hate that!!) I now use my extended dock pole to whack people when they try to help without me asking!! (just kidding)

There are a few other things I do, but figured this was enough to get the ball rolling.

Let's not keep it specifically on boating and navigation but also include water skiing, tubing, diving or any activity involving a boat and the water.

Let's have some fun with this and give everyone ideas on how to have safe fun on our wonderful lake.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 08-04-2010 at 02:51 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-04-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Ryan

I own a jet ski. I know there is a common perception amongst boaters that everybody that is piloting a jet ski is just out there to speed around, jump wakes and drive like an idiot.

I'm just the opposite. While I occasionally enjoy hot dogging when it is safe and prudent, I try and be as responsible as if I were piloting a boat.

I have guests and family that will ask to take a ride. With all of the rules on the lake, I only have one rule for riding the ski - you need to have a boating certificate.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
boat_guy64

Default Safety

Our boat is rated for 12 people. We have 16 life jackets split in the front and back of the boat.

I have a 100 foot line tied to my throwable cushion. If I ever had to throw it and missed, I'd get another chance and I could also pull a very tired person to the boat.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Kracken

Would adding second battery, a second blower and a second bilge pump qualify?
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
ishoot308

Default Most Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Absolutely!! Both of those items help ensure the safety of your vessel and crew. That second battery may have just enough power to get you back to port some day if your alternator dies...

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Blue Thunder

Default Fire Extinguisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
With the recent and many accidents that have occurred thus far this year, I thought it might be a good idea and a good topic to discuss what you do as a boater that goes above and beyond what the law requires to ensure the safety of your crew, vessel and those boating around you. I'll start it off...

We have had many different family and friends this year visiting our camp and as soon as they get on my boat they all get a quick "safety briefing". Basically the briefing consist of offering PFD's to anyone who wants one, where the PFD's and fire extinguishers are located and what to do in case of an emergency.

I also inform everyone that they are to remain seated and hands stay inside the boat during docking and un-docking. I ask that they do not help me in any way with docking the boat unless I specifically ask them to. I usually repeat that last one twice since everyone always tries to reach out and grab the dock post when I don't want them to! (God I hate that!! ) I now use my extended dock pole to whack people when they try to help without me asking!! (just kidding)

There are a few other things I do, but figured this was enough to get the ball rolling.

Let's not keep it specifically on boating and navigation but also include water skiing, tubing, diving or any activity involving a boat and the water.

Let's have some fun with this and give everyone ideas on how to have safe fun on our wonderful lake.

Dan
I vote for "get a real fire extinguisher". Most boats only come with the typical 1 lb extinguisher. Get a second one at least 2 1/2 lbs in size. You'd be amazed at how little fire a small extinguisher will put out. I had first hand experience with this last week when a friends ignition switch failed and the starter would not disengage. A fire in the engine compartment ensued and it was getting very ugly for a few minutes. The small 1 lb extinguisher didn't even begin to do the job and was empty in what seemed like seconds. Given the fuel load and fiberglass it could've been much worse. Cutting the main battery cable did the trick.

BT
Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Batteries

Quote:
I am a huge fan of second batteries with a switch. I like a starting battery and a deep cycle personally. We run out in the AM with the switch on "both" and then switch to the deep cycle marine battery for floating with the radio on, pumping floats, etc. I know that we always have the starting battery fully charged.

Great thread Dan!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
John A. Birdsall

Default safety items

As a boat operator for 54 years I have a policy of putting all life preservers in the lake for a floatation test. As a child with the 11' boat puddy tat we had the cushions type preservers (legal at that time) Well, fooling around out there we threw a preserver at a swimmer, and the preserver went to the bottom. Thus you might have a preserver but it might not float. We also had beer can size fire extinguisher, again legal at that time. they get banged around and the release tube breaks. oops now what. If a 1 lb dosen't work all that long imagine what they last must only be a half lb.

If your preservers are ripped at all, be safe and buy a new one. I don't think using duct tape on them is all that good.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I think first and foremost... having an inventory of everything you need done at the beginning of the season is paramount, along with ensuring it's in good working order not just for now but the entire season. For me if it looks questionable it gets replaced. I always carry enough PFDs for the max load of people plus one extra. My fire extinguisher is located within quick and easy reach of me at the helm, so too is my throwable and lake chart. This I think is really important too, I keep my boat clutter free, and insist that all passengers put all their stuff in a bag and keep it there so the bags can then be placed in areas where they can be stacked up neatly and out of the way. I always have in mind if anything ever were to happen I don't want to be digging through piles of clothes, shoes, towels, masks, snorkels, fins, noodles, floats or any other junk that may be on board. Plus these objects can become projectiles or distracting while underway.This admittedly is a challenge with kids on board, but they quickly learn who the captain is.

Rope, can never have enough of that on board either for anchoring or towing. Finally since I have a bowrider, I always carry my bow cover in the event the lake gets really rough and I have to deal with large chop, the bow is emptied out and the cover goes on. All it takes is stuffing one wave with an open bow and your goose is cooked.

Always carry some basic tools on board, extra oil, two anchors, and most times my VHF 2 meter HT as a backup to the cell phone, couple of flashlights and a wooden paddle and a really good suggestion gleaned from my boat inspection this year, I added a small first aid kit.

I have mentioned this in other postings... when pulling either a skier or tube I display a bright orange safety flag.

I NEVER EVER allow anyone near or on the back of the boat if they are in or getting out of the water and the engine is running.

When headed out early season... I always have at least a couple changes of good warm clothing with me.

Finally I never let the gas tank get below 1/3 of a tank before I'm looking to fill it up.

I find most of this to be common sense things to have, and I've always been of the opinion you're far better off having gone a little overboard with this stuff than getting into a pickle and not having what you need.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
stingray60 (08-08-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Ropetow

Quote:

I also inform everyone that they are to remain seated and hands stay inside the boat during docking and un-docking. I ask that they do not help me in any way with docking the boat unless I specifically ask them to. I usually repeat that last one twice since everyone always tries to reach out and grab the dock post when I don't want them to! (God I hate that!!) I now use my extended dock pole to whack people when they try to help without me asking!! (just kidding)

Dan
Great list! I tend to do what you do plus some minor stuff. For boating newbies I spend a few minutes on how to put on a PFD, how to board and exit the boat when anchored for swimming (saw a guy dive off the bow and surface with the anchor line on top of his shoulders...could've been wrapped around his neck!), how to use a fire extinguisher, and where the trash should be stowed. I also show them were the throwable PFDs are stowed, where the first aid (and other safety gear) kit is, and, above all, where the emergency phone (and VHF radio) contact info is.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default High end performance boats

Quote:
My Formula came this way as standard equipment. Formula even has a halogen fire suppression system in the engine room.

Performance boats are the safest boats around.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Default where to begin

Well with a boat named OCD what do you expect? LOL.

Well just from what is carried on board outside that of the items required by law lets see:

a 100 foot 1/2 inch nylon Tow line

a second anchor

both anchors have over 200 feet of line and chain on each.

4 quarts of oil / funnel

3 quarts of gear lube

Impellar with full water pump assembly

Complete tool 200 piece tool kit

My speciality tool bag, with weird things - examples: right angeled screwdrivers, hammer, zip ties, emergency sealant, sealing tape, pipe fittings, extra gas tank cover etc.

In addition to the 10 orange life jackets, 3 lifeline racing jackets, 2 racing inflatable jackets

has a built in horn but also a bell (required) air horn and whistle

VHF hand held radio

Both Seatow and Boat US membership cards

Replacment engine belts

Extra prop

Torque wrench

2x4 to wedge to replace prop

200 feet of black and red electrical wire

Jumper Cables

Emergency Jump start power domb

Emergency Medical kit

Signal Flares

Enough sun screen to keep Casper safe...

That should be good for now......

Anyone want to get started on cleaning supplies and other supplies not in the boat?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Jidge

Default Fueling up

I'm not sure if this is a usual for everyone but I unload all passengers while fueling. I only say this because the past couple of times I refueled and also just watching in general I noticed boats refueling with all passengers onboard. I learned it in the Boaters safety class and think its a good rule. I also keep the blower running. I'm pretty new on the lake (two seasons) but I hope I don't get lazy with experience. I'm sure after many fuel ups without incident, some may think nothing will ever happen. I'm not taking the chance.
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
I'm not sure if this is a usual for everyone but I unload all passengers while fueling. I only say this because the past couple of times I refueled and also just watching in general I noticed boats refueling with all passengers onboard. I learned it in the Boaters safety class and think its a good rule. I also keep the blower running. I'm pretty new on the lake (two seasons) but I hope I don't get lazy with experience. I'm sure after many fuel ups without incident, some may think nothing will ever happen. I'm not taking the chance.
Unloading passengers is correct.

Running blowers DURING fueling is not correct (according to most sources). You risk sucking vapors into the engine space.

You turn off the blowers during fueling, then run them for four minutes after fueling to remove any fuel vapors. This is before starting your engines.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
jeffatsquam

Default Where to start 2

The captain of my boat has not had any alcohol that day, seems to eliminate the majority of the problems.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
200 feet of black and red electrical wire
What the heck for?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #17
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
What the heck for?
surprisingly it actually came in handy in VA. (not for me) but a friend of mine's trim stopped working half way on a 90 mile run. They found it was a fault somewhere in the wiring. There was not way to fix it at the time so they used my wire to bypass the switch. Whenever they needed to lower the drives the would touch the wires.

You never know what you will need electrical wire for.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #18
Skip

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
...I also keep the blower running...

Blowers? Don't need no stinkin' blowers!

Name:  blower.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  104.8 KB
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
SAUGUS BOATER (08-07-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
NoRegrets

We have a complete first aid kit. We have only used it twice in 10 years but it was great to have the right size qauze, butterfly bandages, ointment, smelling salt, and rubber gloves available when one person fell off the swimplatform and sliced their leg (shin) to the bone on the prop and a small boy that got a tear from a fish hook on the head from his brother.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #20
Kamper

I carry 3 fire-extinguishers instead of one. I don't keep any of them next to my gas tanks because if they catch fire it may be too hot to get an extiguisher. One is under my seat, another under the "co-pilot" and a 3rd in the bow because I have a good place to hang it there.

Also a reasonable set of tools. Some extra wire, PVC tape, a few exra screws and a spare fuel filter.

If you don't like to pack a cooler for every little jaunt, you may want to stash away few small bottles of water. They can be a great comfort item if it takes longer for a slip to open at the Weirs and the kids start fidgetting. That means one les thing to distract you and that increases your safety factor.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #21
chipj29

I carry a first aid kit, extra rope and a tow rope. Can't carry too much extra stuff on the PWC. I don't carry extra PFD's, but I don't allow anyone to ride without one.

If my PWC catches fire, there is no way I would be able to get the fire extinguisher out in time, as it is stored in the front storage compartment. My only goal would be to get myself and passengers as far away as quickly as possible.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #22
Happy Gourmand

Default Right of way..

Rule # 1 ...You NEVER EVER have the right of way
Rule # 2... When in doubt, see Rule # 1

When I'm on the boat, I want to relax and enjoy. I don't recall an instance where I HAD to be somewhere bad enough that I wanted to get into a pi$$ing contest with another boater over the right of way with the potential result of ruining a perfect day.

I've been on the lake for coming up on 12 years. I adopted this rule about 7 or 8 years ago and have not had a bad experience with another boater since.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Defensive Driving and Safety certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Rule # 1 ...You NEVER EVER have the right of way
Rule # 2... When in doubt, see Rule # 1
Great rule! With the amount of boneheads seen on the lake lately. It is a paramount rule. Another rule is to maintain a 360 degree lookout.

Last night someone actually pass me between the two bouys off Eagle Island and Spindle Point! Scared the jeebies out of me when I saw him in the corner of my eye!

I strongly suggest taking the Power Squadron course as well as the NH Safety course. While some of it deals with the coastal rules, many valuable tips of operating safety can be had.

Dealers should be held responsible for selling a boat to someone without proper training. I.E. the new owner should have a boater's certificate and proper training as to the basic running of his/her new boat.

As for rentals. Do car rental company rents to unlicensed drivers? I would vote to do away with temporary certificates and allow rentals to those who have a valid boater's certificate from their home state.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #24
Just Sold

Great Thread - thanks ishoot308 for starting it.

Having learned from experience which included a $60 ticket I now keep plenty of spare bulbs for my navigation lights.

I also have have a First Aid Kit, 2 tool kits, 1 anchor, Fire Extinguisher mounted on the front of the passenger seat base (will be adding another), whistle hanging on the dash in case the electric horn fails, large sponge and bucket, throwable cushion, 100' of rope for either the throwable cushion or anchor, paddle, boat hook, 4 docking lines at 15' ea, 2 charts of Winni, towels in case someone gets wet. 2 life jackets for occupants plus and standard orange as a spare. (I only take 2 people on board due to the boats size) If I am out at night I bring a flashlight along. Most items are stored under the seats or in a net bag under the bow but all very accessable.

I always instruct my 1st time passengers on where the safety items are located and what to do or not to do when underway or docking. I prefer to place life jackets for passengers to the outboard side of their seat for easy access and if they want they can always wear them.

All this in a 14' closed bow boat. If the boat was larger I would have even more items but space is at a premium.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #25
NoRegrets

Default night glare

I enjoy night boating and installed a PERKO Light Glare Shield to my main white light mast.
Before I installed this device light would illuminate the bow and effect my night vision. This shield is adjustable on the pole to just eliminate the glare.

Here is a link to this inexpensive device that I found to be priceless:

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Perko-P...92DP0BLK-Perko
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #26
ishoot308

Default Thanks!!

Wow, what a great response and wonderful ideas!! I am already going to put a couple of them into service on my boat!

Thank you all for sharing!

Let's keep it going!!

Dan
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #27
Woodsy

My Donzi 26Zx is pretty well equipped!

1. 4 Fire Extinguishers (1 Automatic Halon, 2 Handheld 5lb extinguishers and 1 silly white one I never took off the boat)

2. 13 lifejackets.... 10 in the 2 USCG kits and 3 ski type vests

3. 2 throwable Life Preservers

4. Tool kit with Duct Tape..... (you can fix almost anything with duct tape)

5. 2 US issue MP whistles - a short sharp burst at 110db gets anyones attention

6. 2 anchors

7. 2 GPS units

8. Spare bulbs for nav lights & extra oils for engine & drive

9. Well stocked First Aid kit

10. 2 batteries with safety switch

11.. Enough SPF 50 to keep my irish redheaded gf pale!

As you can see I am BIG on redundancy.... all those years designing widgets for Uncle Sam!

On the downside.... I still need to get a bell (silly because I have whistles) and some new flares! Mine have expired!

Woodsy
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Good thread Dan with many good ideas.

About 3 years ago, following the example of our neighbors in common, we bought inflatable PFDs like what the MP use and we wear them whenever under way. They are light weight and very unobtrusive. You almost forget you have them on but all you have to is pull that yellow handle and you are ready for the water.

We know that a boat can go under very fast so in a mishap we can be calling 911 rather than dealing with getting a PFD on. If we have passengers we can focus on helping them especially if it is the grandchildren. It is pretty hard to help others if you are going under yourself.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow What would Red Green bring

Lots of good ideas mentioned so far. Let me add a common one that I've yet to hear. Fuses, spare fuses. Also a flashlight for everyone onboard if you're out at night. Should people have to go into the water at night, they'll want to be found. And if you're out at night have 2 spotlights, ideally one with it's own battery in case you can't depend on the boat's system.

Also a gas siphon. It might be easier to get a few gallons from a willing helper than to go for portable tank ... or a tow.

And duct tape. Of course.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #30
Dave R

Great thread. Lots of great stuff mentioned so far. I have a comprehensive selection of spare parts, emergency gear, "MacGyver materials" and tools on board all the time. Much of my stuff has already been covered, so I'll just list things I have not seen yet:

spare mercruiser blue cooling system drain plug
1 5/8" expandable rubber "freeze plug"
assortment of hose clamps
new fuel filter and a bottle of gasoline to prime it with
mercruiser service manuals for my engine and my drive
Fluke 87 DVM
canvas snap parts kit and a tool to install them
spare manual bilge pump
bare SS wire
huge assortrment of SS screws, nuts, washers etc.
3M 4200
JB weld
zip ties
small torch
sealing heat shrink crimp connectors

throw rope (with bean bag weight attached)
2 boat hooks (you really need two to go through locks)
Chapmans

Xacto knife (for use as a scalpel) in my first aid kit.

There's more, but I can't recall all of it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #31
ApS

Red face Scattered Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...And duct tape. Of course..."
1) Absolootely—although a demonstration of "gaffer's tape" showed me some super-great versatility. Anyone know where I can buy a roll of "gaffer's tape"?

2) Governments—worldwide—closed down Halon production: Halon hasn't been manufactured since 1994. Any recharging has to be done with recycled Halon or exhausting the present stock. (That said, the present stock is very generous, as the announcement of Halon-cessation resulted in a huge over-production of Halon).

3) After checking on the Coast Guard's long-delayed approval of inflatable life jackets, this site has interesting commentary and graphs:
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Fin...latablepfd.htm

Quote:
"...All our testers agreed. If they had to drift around in the water, waiting for rescue, they would want to be wearing the bulky but tried-and-true, inherently buoyant Type I life jacket..."
( It's a pfd file )

'Better read-up on those "manual" inflatables.

3) The presence of spare bulbs is a good idea—which prompts me to suggest that a small piece of fine "wet-or-dry" sandpaper should be included to erase any corrosion.

4) I still have a "beer-can" type extinguisher. Though handy, those were discontinued, as the vehicle was carbon-tetrachloride (which turned out to be very damaging to one's nervous system).

5) Any "dry-chemical" fire extinguisher that has ever been discharged (even a little) will eventually leak down; however, there may stilll be some value to a "leaked" fire extinguisher.

I'd previously written of putting out a friend—who'd been enveloped by a gasoline fire plus a Triumph GT-6 at a traffic signal—Lucas electrics. (No injuries resulted).

But that's not the way to experience putting out a serious fire. I suggest fully-exhausting a "slightly-used" dry-chemical extinguisher in a demonstration by youthful boaters—in the presence of experienced boaters.

(But not actually using a fire in the demonstration).

6) Kamper's suggestion of maintaining a distance between extinguisher and potential fire is a good one; however, my extinguisher is mounted at the gas tank (bow), as the fire is more likely at the outboard (stern).

Maybe I should mount a second extinguisher at the engine.

7) A selection of tapered wood plugs (available at West® stores) might have saved the Dive boat from sinking. (Jamming a plug into the puncture—with a rag around it—would've slowed the incoming water).

8) "Zip-ties" are usually labelled as "cable-ties". Though the vast majority are made of plastic, cable-ties are available in stainless steel!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #32
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Good thread Dan with many good ideas.

About 3 years ago, following the example of our neighbors in common, we bought inflatable PFDs like what the MP use and we wear them whenever under way. They are light weight and very unobtrusive. You almost forget you have them on but all you have to is pull that yellow handle and you are ready for the water.

We know that a boat can go under very fast so in a mishap we can be calling 911 rather than dealing with getting a PFD on. If we have passengers we can focus on helping them especially if it is the grandchildren. It is pretty hard to help others if you are going under yourself.
Excellent point that I bolded above.
I was thinking about this. I own a PWC so this doesn't really apply to me. But if I owned a boat, I would make sure that my passengers knew what to do in the event of an accident in which I became uncapacitated. In other words, we are cruising along and I hit a rock, and I get knocked out cold. The boat is taking on water, and the passengers need to get themselves to safety. Do they know where to find the PFDs? Do they know how to get help? Etc.

My point is...make sure you give your passengers an idea on what to do...just in case.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Great thread. Lots of great stuff mentioned so far. I have a comprehensive selection of spare parts, emergency gear, "MacGyver materials" and tools on board all the time. Much of my stuff has already been covered, so I'll just list things I have not seen yet:

spare mercruiser blue cooling system drain plug
1 5/8" expandable rubber "freeze plug"
assortment of hose clamps
new fuel filter and a bottle of gasoline to prime it with
mercruiser service manuals for my engine and my drive
Fluke 87 DVM
canvas snap parts kit and a tool to install them
spare manual bilge pump
bare SS wire
huge assortrment of SS screws, nuts, washers etc.
3M 4200
JB weld
zip ties
small torch
sealing heat shrink crimp connectors

throw rope (with bean bag weight attached)
2 boat hooks (you really need two to go through locks)
Chapmans

Xacto knife (for use as a scalpel) in my first aid kit.

There's more, but I can't recall all of it.
That's a great list, but, where is the nearest set of locks located? Perhaps it is the set in Boston at the Science Museum? I don't think we have one in the entire state. But you are right about needing 2 boat hooks to navigate through locks.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #34
Jonas Pilot

Default Gaffer's tape.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
robmac

Wow, someone else carries a spare blue merc. coolant drain plug I was told I was a little overboard for that one. Finally they can't talk about that one anymore.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #36
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
That's a great list, but, where is the nearest set of locks located? Perhaps it is the set in Boston at the Science Museum? I don't think we have one in the entire state. But you are right about needing 2 boat hooks to navigate through locks.
Songo River in Maine has one and there are several on the Champlain Canal.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #37
Yankee

I keep a spare drain plug in my tool kit. I'm not concerned about it coming loose and falling out. But I've made the mistake of not checking it ahead of time and getting to the boat launch only to find out that there's no drain plug installed.

I also have a manual bilge pump. Again, I learned from an experience with a leaky outdrive bellows that bilge pumps will only keep up as long as the batteries have juice, and when you need to get water out immediatley, one of these http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...Number=2845410 is the only way to go. They're inexpensive.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #38
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Great thread....... 100' line to a throw cushion is a new one to me after 30 years of boating....going to take care of that today.Thanks
Also,after reading this thread,I'm going to cancel my TowBoatUS membership and just call OCDACTIVE if I break down.......he's got everything.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (08-09-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #39
ApS

Default Rogue Gaffer Whistles, &tc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Thanks for that "gaffer tape" link.

The demonstration I saw was by a genuine Hollywood gaffer, who told me that there was only one place who could supply it—and that store was in New York City.

I see it costs 80¢ per foot.

Well, I think it's worth it. It's stronger than duct tape, and doesn't have the drawbacks: because it's a cloth product, it tears evenly, wraps around items smoothly, and releases cleanly without leaving any adhesive residues.

The Tornado® whistle I bought at a West® store, but the blast is so incredibly loud, I'd hesitate to ever use it again. (And have used it only once!) I keep that whistle—and registration—attached to my personal PFD. (The whistle is secured so that it can be used without detaching it). If I'm not actually wearing the PFD, I store it visibly—to keep the MPs "happy".

Nowadays, I don't boat after dark—but if I did, I'd also attach a $27 "automatic strobe light" to at least one of the PFDs:

Y'never know...there may be a "rogue-wave" out there—somewhere....
Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #40
stingray60

Default Night Boating

This is a great thread with lots of good suggestions and tips. Here's my two cents worth:

We go out on the water both day and night that usually includes several of the kids. Daytime is mostly cruisin' and tubin', while evenings and night-time can be a pleasant, easy cruise. The skipper always has good boat deck footwear and everyone aboard wears a PFD at night. Slow down (it's not a race); don't want to find it by hitting it. Don't have GPS, but I can read a chart, a compass and get my bearings. If the water gets rough everyone gets assigned seating and it's time to pay attention. All the kids know how to tie a bowline, half-hitch, and a clove hitch. The boat has six cleats and usually keep ample dockline attached to all of them. (You need it when you need it and not look for it.) Two batteries switchable, two anchors, tools, an extra stern light. Skipper has a whistle on a lanyard around his neck.

I've also learned (the hard way) to keep a minimag flashlight and GERBER tool attached to my belt. You need it when you need it and the Gerber provides small tools with a knife in one package. Same with the minimag -- you need light precisely when and where it's needed.

Other things I do have already been posted. I would like to add something on the subject of whistles, although it's not related to boating but the idea is the same. We often go hiking in the Lakes Region and White Mountains. Everyone in our family has a whistle (lanyard around your neck) in the woods. The kids know the rule -- it's a tool not a toy. Sit down if you get lost and blow the whistle ONCE. Let us find you. If you fall and/or get hurt blow the whistle THREE times. The whistle sound carries well through the woods. Can't shout out loud with cracked ribs.

Time to have safe and fun day.
stingray60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #41
ApS

Cool 'Sunny Days, Use...

Quote:
"...I thought it might be a good idea and a good topic to discuss what you do as a boater that goes above and beyond what the law requires to ensure the safety of your crew, vessel and those boating around you..."
Polaroids!

...use them 'bout every sunny day—scout them rocks...