Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
donmac

Default Issue with local contractor - guidance sought

Hello all,

We’re transplanted NHerites who moved to the mid-atlantic a number of years ago for work and still have a small second home in the lakes region that we try to frequent as much as possible.

We’re having an issue with a local contractor and would like some thoughts on the situation and any suggestions on how we might proceed.

I have no desire at this point to share the person’s name because I am honestly still hoping he can finish the work and we can amiably wrap this thing up – but I’m starting to doubt that will ever happen.

Please note that since the deposit was provided, almost all conversations have occurred via email. The person prefers to rely exclusively on email for communication. I honestly do not have a problem with that if my emails were responded to within a day or so, but that is usually not the case.

Here’s the history:

7/10/16 - Provided a $6,000 deposit on vinyl siding/insulation/door work to start on 7/25

7/29/16 - Told via email he will start on 8/8 (not a problem for us)

8/8/16 - Told via email the siding is in

8/9/16 - Told via email he will start on 8/15 (not a problem for us)

8/19/16 - Told via email he will start on 8/22 (not a problem for us)

8/23/16 - Told via email he will start on 8/25-6

8/29/16 - Told via email he has removed the old insulation

9/11/16 - Told via email he will start siding on 9/19 (frustration has started)

9/23/16 - Told via email he will be on project full-time now

9/28/16 - Told via email the house is half wrapped with vapor barrier

10/7/16 - Told via email that the new insulation install is finished and all work will be done in 2 weeks

11/4/16 - After weeks of no updates, I insisted on a call rather than email, we spoke, apologies were made for lack of progress, and I was told that he was now on it full time now will be done by 11/24 (Thanksgiving). We agreed to change our family Thanksgiving plans and drive 8hrs to NH to meet in NH on 11/25 or 26 for final review and payment

11/23/16 - He confirmed via email to meet with us on the afternoon of 11/26

11/24/16 - Rather than spending Thanksgiving with our family, we drove 8hrs to NH to see progress and meet with the contractor. There was no siding on site other than a few starter strips installed, and a few loose on the deck.

11/26/16 - The contractor did not show for afternoon meeting as planned.

11/27/16 - We have decided stay one more day in NH to try to meet again. This means I need to take Monday off of work to drive 8hrs home.

He just told me he may not be able to meet with me today.

I feel like we have given him more than enough leeway on this and we’re starting to wonder if this work will ever actually be completed.

The fact that we gave up our Thanksgiving plans to drive to NH just to meet with him and he blew us off twice feels like the last straw.

Thoughts?

-don