Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
love the lake

Default Meredith Traffic

Last night (July 4) around 10:30 PM, traffic in Meredith was backed up for miles. Is this the usual pattern on July 4 or was it because of fireworks ending around that time in Meredith and Center Harbor?
love the lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 AM   #2
wifi

It was primarily the fireworks, tho Meredith can be a sewer traffic wise, especially around any of the traffic lights, particularly weekends.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
noreast

Did you find your answer in lost and found?
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

You need to learn the back roads....lots of ways around the traffic
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
You need to learn the back roads....lots of ways around the traffic
Sam, shhhhhhh! Then everyone will know!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Sam, shhhhhhh! Then everyone will know!
Winona-Waukewan-College-Rt 25B to Rt 25 in Center Harbor-Moultonborough

The Meredith bypass; traveling east on Rt 104 in Meredith, take a left just beyond the Flightcraft boat store onto Winona Rd at the intersection with stoplights ....... maybe two miles to a right onto Waukewan Rd .....continue maybe three miles to Rt 25/US 3 ......heading north on 25/3 ... almost immediately bear right onto College Rd .....continue maybe one mile to Rt 25B ...... take a right onto Rt 25B and continue maybe three miles to stop light intersection on Rt 25 close to Heath's Hardware and the Center Harbor-Moultonborough town line.

This totally avoids the Meredith-Lake Winnipesaukee, big intersection, traffic snarl and is a very nice, quiet, out in the country, very low traffic route through the back roads of Meredith and Center Harbor that travels close to beautiful Lake Waukewan, and the very scenic Waukewan golf course.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
rick35

We come in on Waukewan Street when theres traffic on 104 and a likely stand still at the light near McDonalds. You may hit some traffic near Bootleggers but its never been as bad as coming down the hill past the docks. You could turn left at Sunshine and Pa's and go out to College Road to Center Harbor if you didnt want to take the scenic route out Winona Road.

We used College Road earlier this week and theres a great view from the top of the hill. And you pass by the old Belknap College on 25B (Dane Rd).
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
jeffk

Default Warning

Since 25B was repaved last year and you no longer shake out a filling on the bumps, the temptation to speed has become irresistable to many. There is a high police presence on the road. Stick to the speed limit!
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Meredith AK

Default New traffic pattern in Meredith April 9

Signs all over the Route 3/25 intersection in Meredith announcing a new traffic pattern beginning April 9th. New lights going in and you will no longer be able to take a left turn onto Route 3 from the right lane on Route 25 south.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post
Signs all over the Route 3/25 intersection in Meredith announcing a new traffic pattern beginning April 9th. New lights going in and you will no longer be able to take a left turn onto Route 3 from the right lane on Route 25 south.
That seams like it would back up the traffic on 25 even more than it already is or it will force more cars to go straight through the town center. I wonder if that's their intention?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
tummyman

Interesting. Another solution to a bad situation designed by traffic engineers who probably never drive the route. This change, if it is as described, will eliminate the blending of two lanes to one RT3. But traffic on RT25 will now probably be backed up for miles a lot of the time. More incentive to take RT25B in Center Harbor and avoid the Meredith mess. Until there is a real bypass constructed around this terrible intersection, nothing will ever improve.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #12
Newbiesaukee

It MIGHT be a little safer as not everyone does well with the two lanes turning left and then merging; but overall, I agree it will aggravate the traffic problem.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
It MIGHT be a little safer as not everyone does well with the two lanes turning left and then merging; but overall, I agree it will aggravate the traffic problem.
This.

After making the left turn the lanes merge almost instantly so there is not much benefit to two left lanes. One thing that would help a ton would be a pedestrian bridge crossing rt 3 somewhere around the docks area.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

That is going to make traveling south on 25 especially in season and holidays a disaster and could also back up traffic on Main Street for people trying to take a shortcut. I do not see the reasoning as long as people follow the lines in the road two left turn lanes should not be a safety issue.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
jbolty

The traffic can either back up on 25 or can back up when the lanes merge. Too many people have no clue how to merge and add in trailer towing as well as having to stop right after the turn for pedestrians and I think the double left makes it all slower in the long run. The lanes become one only a few car lengths after the turn.
Attached Images

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
The Real BigGuy

With the way it is now the traffic merges but continues to flow. With the new pattern, move all the cars in the right lane to the left & it pushes traffic much further back towards the high school. Traffic going straight on 25 or taking a right at the intersection get caught in that traffic until they reach Pleasant St.

I agree it makes no sense unless they are trying to 1) force traffic thru the center of town or, 2) force cars out of Meredith all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The traffic can either back up on 25 or can back up when the lanes merge. Too many people have no clue how to merge and add in trailer towing as well as having to stop right after the turn for pedestrians and I think the double left makes it all slower in the long run. The lanes become one only a few car lengths after the turn.
Yes it is only a few lengths but it does flow. There are many more people making the left than going straight. It will be a nightmare especially in the summer, pond hockey and fishing derby. Also it will be enough of a bother to people like myself to the point I will absolutely avoid the area in busy times. Meaning i will not go to wine'ing butcher, flurries Moulton Farms ect because lake time is too precious to spend time sitting in traffic.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #18
ARV

Default What about 3 north?

So, does anyone know why the signs are up on route 3 north advertising a new traffic pattern? The one left lane from 25 to 3 doesn’t affect the northbound traffic at all!
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #19
tummyman

Fake news !
Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV View Post
So, does anyone know why the signs are up on route 3 north advertising a new traffic pattern? The one left lane from 25 to 3 doesn’t affect the northbound traffic at all!

Because once you leave you have to return. Lol

Old 04-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Us locals know all the shortcuts........I drive from Meredith Center to Moultonborough and back every day in the summer .....no problems at all : )
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #22
bruinsfan

I thought they were making TWO left turn lanes from 25 to 3 South and continuing the turn lane to accommodate the extra turning vehicles. To accomplish this, they will take away one the the northbound lanes on 3, where they currently have two that eventually merge near the AnaLee store.

So, northbound on Rte 3 at 25, you will have a left turn, straight, & Right turn lane. (currently, there are two lanes that go north).
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #23
tummyman

Everyone read the front page of the Laconia Daily Sun for Friday...tomorrow. It spells it out clearly. I think the recent original posting might have had it incorrect. Bruins fan...you have it correct !!!

Last edited by tummyman; 04-05-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Reference a prior posting
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #24
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
I thought they were making TWO left turn lanes from 25 to 3 South and continuing the turn lane to accommodate the extra turning vehicles. To accomplish this, they will take away one the the northbound lanes on 3, where they currently have two that eventually merge near the AnaLee store.

So, northbound on Rte 3 at 25, you will have a left turn, straight, & Right turn lane. (currently, there are two lanes that go north).

Now that makes much more sense. Thank you

Old 04-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #25
Shrimpbrain

Don't worry. The Company that owns the Town on the lake will make sure they benefit somehow. Maybe it will direct all the traffic to the New liquor store downtown, or maybe to the new Condo's they will be building over the old hardware store. But rest assured it will look good.
Shrimpbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #26
Outdoorsman

Default Construction Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post

Is this a temporary traffic pattern due to construction? I have been seeing signs all over the state with "new traffic pattern" that is directly related to construction.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #27
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpbrain View Post
Don't worry. The Company that owns the Town on the lake will make sure they benefit somehow. Maybe it will direct all the traffic to the New liquor store downtown, or maybe to the new Condo's they will be building over the old hardware store. But rest assured it will look good.
I have no ploblem with the company that owns everything around there. They have put Meredith back on the map and I think they have done it in very complimentary way. Progress brings traffic so it's up to the town to manage this properly. That's one of the main reasons I bought a house in the town of Meredith, because there is always something going on down town that brings people to the area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #28
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I have no ploblem with the company that owns everything around there. They have put Meredith back on the map and I think they have done it in very complimentary way. Progress brings traffic so it's up to the town to manage this properly. That's one of the main reasons I bought a house in the town of Meredith, because there is always something going on down town that brings people to the area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Absolutely! I usually do not like development, but Meredith has benefitted tremendously. A big thumbs up for the very thoughtful investor!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #29
fatlazyless

Up till about 1985, the parking lot area for the Mill Falls hotel and retail stores was occupied by two very basic factory buildings, constructed with cinder blocks, which made asbestos shingles for the vertical exteriors of residential homes. Their construction was similar to the nearby closed laundromat which will soon be demolished and re-constructed to a town parking lot to replace the existing 'Aubuchon' town parking lot.

The town is moving the parking lot across the road, except for an easement for parking vehicles with boat trailers on what's left of the old parking lot, after demolition of the single story 'Aubuchon' building, and new construction on the old parking lot?

Is hard to believe? Is like a chess game.

Google 'Amatex Corp, Meredith NH' to look at the asbestos shingle factory located in the Mill Falls parking lot area from approximately 1950's-1980's. Talk about making a change in the neighborhood ...... like, wow!

On the exact location in Meredith where asbestos shingles were once made, now it's www.cozycabinrustics.com high quality, comfy wood furniture, furnishings, and Nordic hot tubs ...... with zero sales tax ..... so, take home a hot tub, back to Rhode Island, today!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-09-2018 at 01:28 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
C-Bass

Looks like its going to be a real cluster down there.. I will be making every effort to stay away from that place this summer. If my guess is right, one lane each way.. good luck

https://www.nh.gov/dot/media/nr2018/...s-meredith.htm
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #31
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass View Post
Looks like its going to be a real cluster down there.. I will be making every effort to stay away from that place this summer. If my guess is right, one lane each way.. good luck

https://www.nh.gov/dot/media/nr2018/...s-meredith.htm
No need to stay away this summer. From the link you posted...

Normal traffic patterns will be resumed by June 9, 2018. The project will then be suspended for the summer months, resuming on September 4, 2018.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #32
C-Bass

Ah, didn't notice that.. That's smart, I've come down there in the summer from M-Boro on a Sunday for lunch. I've seen the traffic is backed up to Moulton farm sometimes. I couldn't imagine it with that partial bridge closure..
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote