Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
pjard

Default Skijigger thoughts

I have a $140 less in my wallet thanks to Dan! I bought a Skijigger yesterday but don't have it yet. Anyone using one of these without a mast? If you haven't seen it go to Cut2spec.com. I would really appreciate any all comments....how many colors of lead core can it handle? What are the best release clips for this unit? Anything at all....
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Paul,

You definitely don't need a mast for the ski jigger nor do you want one. You can simply use a line that ties to the side of your boat on a cleat or some form of reel if you want. You do not need any height that a mast would give as you have no clips to slide down.

My friend Glen Leathers uses an "offshore" style release on his and so do I. The beauty of the ski jigger is your getting your line away from the boat much like a planer board/boat and your also getting the jigging action. The best part is when you catch a fish on it, you don't have to reel the thing in and take it off like the planer board you bought. The only thing you will have on the line is the fish.

There is a little learning curve to it but it's really pretty simple and extremely effective!!

Edited to add....I have used 6 colors of lead without issue. Micro lead works the best as it has much less drag.

Dan
Old 04-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
pjard

Ah-hah, I get it. The line clip is attached to the Skijigger. Doh! Somehow I missed that. So after a fish hits it I will have to retrieve it to reset. I get it now. Once again thanks for all your help. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks Dan!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Ah-hah, I get it. The line clip is attached to the Skijigger. Doh! Somehow I missed that. So after a fish hits it I will have to retrieve it to reset. I get it now. Once again thanks for all your help. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks Dan!
Yes, and you simply pull the line in by hand or use an old 1/2 rod and reel or you clamp a reel spool on the rail of your toon which is probably your best bet.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-25-2016 at 08:24 AM.
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Pineedles

Boy, every time you guys start talking about these things like skijiggers and planner boards, etc. I feel like an idiot. I cant even master a baitcast reel without creating a mess of tangled line. I've got to either stick with my maple pole with a couple yards of yarn, and a safety pin on the end, or give up.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Boy, every time you guys start talking about these things like skijiggers and planner boards, etc. I feel like an idiot. I cant even master a baitcast reel without creating a mess of tangled line. I've got to either stick with my maple pole with a couple yards of yarn, and a safety pin on the end, or give up.

Don't feel bad about that. A bait caster takes solid thumb control, my dad who like you will birds nest a bait caster beyond economical repair will out fish me 7 out of 7 days a week however i'll toss a bait caster 75 yards while he's catching bass 10 feet from where we are. Even took me a season or two to get comfortable with a bait caster.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
dt5150

try this with your bait caster.. with your lure of choice, press the button so the reel is in free spool while keeping your thumb on the spool. lift your thumb and allow the lure to fall. if it's fast, tighten the magnetic control and spool tension knob until the lure falls at a slow pace. the goal is to have to lure fall, but not too fast. if it's too slow, just do the opposite. you'll need to make adjustments as you switch between lighter and heavier lures. this will go a long way in preventing backlashes. spool speed control/setting is key.

when casting, "feather" your thumb on the spool to keep it under control. then, once the lure hits the water, stop the spool with your thumb and turn the handle. this all take practice, but it'll be well worth it.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-25-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
dt5150

as for skijiggers, saw this on craigslist..

http://nh.craigslist.org/spo/5536406250.html
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Pineedles

So let me get this straight. The line that comes from the down rigger attaches to the downjigger's dorsal fin, and the line with the hook attaches to the caudal fin area?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
as for skijiggers, saw this on craigslist..

http://nh.craigslist.org/spo/5536406250.html
I think that may be an older version of cut2specs G2 Jigger. I have a G2 Jigger and it also works well. The only thing is Pjard does not have downriggers so the ski Jigger is his only option...

Dan
Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
hilltopper

Default Yikes

Note to self...if you're going to do a Google image search on "skijigger" DO NOT include a space between "ski" and "jigger".
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Note to self...if you're going to do a Google image search on "skijigger" DO NOT include a space between "ski" and "jigger".
Thanks for peaking my curiosity! that is nasty whatever it is!!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
Bob G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I have been using one for 2 years now. I consider it one of my main weapons. I attach it to the base of a RAM tube (used for the rod) with about 25' of planer board line. At the end of the day I just wrap up prop line and clip release to propeller, then just coil planer line and store it under gunwale. I use the release that comes with it, but you can change it out very easily (but why would you want to?).
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob G For This Useful Post:
pjard (04-29-2016)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
I have been using one for 2 years now. I consider it one of my main weapons. I attach it to the base of a RAM tube (used for the rod) with about 25' of planer board line. At the end of the day I just wrap up prop line and clip release to propeller, then just coil planer line and store it under gunwale. I use the release that comes with it, but you can change it out very easily (but why would you want to?).
What the heck is a ram tube? I understand it’s for storing away the SkiJigger but never heard of a RAM tube...
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
Hillcountry

Never mind...looked it up!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote