Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
kbanny18

Default Bad Bass Luck - HELP!

Looking for some tips or strategies to stop the bad string of luck I've been having.

Fishing Moultonboro neck, primarily from the dock at the house but and I've had zero luck recently. Normally I would guess it was the location as it's shallow water and little cover near the house, but I've been seeing schools of good size LMB and one monster LMB patrolling the shore around me and visibly feeding on small bait right up into inches of water. I've thrown everything I have at these guys with no luck - plastic worms, soft and hard swim baits, spinners and top water. At times I've pulled lures right over their noses and haven't had even a bite.

I know these fish are feeding, why can't I get them eating whats at the end of my line?!?!

Appreciate any tips or insight.
kbanny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbanny18 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-20-2018), Sundancer320 (09-29-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Rich

I don't fish, but an 8 year old on our dock catches the small red eyed monsters (rock bass???) with a live earth worm, then leaves the small fish on his hook, and a few minutes later he catches something big!

I'd say try some natural bait! But then again, ask someone that knows how to fish, or some random 8 year old kid!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
kawishiwi

Default Keyed In...

With fish so keyed in on one plentiful live bait it can he hard to get their attention.
Ideas in no particular order...
> Fish EARLY morning, evenings, or in a good chop preferably with clouds. Fish bite better when they cant see you.
> Try lobbing a nightcrawler in front of them.
> Go for a reaction bite by pulling a lure about as fast as you can, you DON'T want them to get a good look. Spinner baits, lipless plug, 'Flat Rap' rapalas are good for this preferably as flashy as possible. Seems CRAZY...until you get bit.
>Try a 'Whopper Plopper' top water bait. Expensive but that one bait seems to enrage bass. Steady retrieve to get maximum 'plop'.
> Google 'wacky worm' & 'ned rig' if you dont know about them. I f you cant get them to go on a proper wacky worm you might be in trouble.

Oh and...fish your dock closely from shore before stepping onto it. Bass will wait in ambush under such cover but can spook with someone walking above.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanny18 View Post
Looking for some tips or strategies to stop the bad string of luck I've been having.

Fishing Moultonboro neck, primarily from the dock at the house but and I've had zero luck recently. Normally I would guess it was the location as it's shallow water and little cover near the house, but I've been seeing schools of good size LMB and one monster LMB patrolling the shore around me and visibly feeding on small bait right up into inches of water. I've thrown everything I have at these guys with no luck - plastic worms, soft and hard swim baits, spinners and top water. At times I've pulled lures right over their noses and haven't had even a bite.

I know these fish are feeding, why can't I get them eating whats at the end of my line?!?!

A big fat night crawler with a smooth, weighted hook so you dont hurt the fish. Early in the morning or late in the day.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
A big fat night crawler with a smooth, weighted hook so you dont hurt the fish. Early in the morning or late in the day.
Hurt the fish? Doesn’t anyone keep fish to consume anymore? I do.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
FlyfishTexas

Default Bass luck

Hello from Texas. I’m headed north for the week of Labor Day and checking the forums to see what’s new since last summer. Down here in Texas, when I can see bass in clear water but they won’t bite, I get out the fly rod and try to finesse ‘em. Usually works well and a bass on a fly rod can be a ton of fun. Good luck!
FlyfishTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
iw8surf

September small mouth I would throw a whopper plopper morning and evening, slow retrieve stopping every so often, they'll either hit it as it moves or right as you start reeling again. Texas rigged worms or flukes mid day while mixing it up between spinner baits or square bill crank baits just to cover ground because a lot of parts of the lake there is minimal cover. All else fails a wacky rigged worm.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
Top-Water

Default Gummy Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanny18 View Post

I love all these so called fishing expert tips. No one above has a clue, except Rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2CbXOuz-Rc

Gummy Worm vs. Senko Fish-Off!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1P36K7yrk

Swedish Fish for Giant Lake-Trout and Salmon

Sour Gummy Worms for Pickerel

All around top secret bait, Twizzlers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMCEYv20fE

If you get one this way, you better damm well have a video to prove it for all of us to see. ........ good luck kbanny18 welcome to the forum

Fishing from shore, You might need to get your baits into deeper water
The Kracken:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POA_QkcbNjE

Last edited by Top-Water; 08-23-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote