Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
CrownRay

Default Are people really that stupid?

So, coming into the Weirs area yesterday in the Governor's Island "no wake" area. There are two MP boats...one assisting a boat, the other keeping watch. I slow down way out, creeping by them. There's a jet ski that just bombs right through the "no wake" area. Did not even slow down or take a second look. Of course, the MP boat keeping watch chased them down. It was a woman with her young son.

Good thing we all have those licenses, huh?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
AC2717

yes, yes they are
Old 09-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
caloway

Default must have been a full moon.

I got passed immediately after Governors bridge by a boat doing 2-3x wake weaving it's way between a paddleboarder and me.

Yesterday was very confusing. It was like all of the New Yorkers were out for the weekend.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default New Yorkers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
I got passed immediately after Governors bridge by a boat doing 2-3x wake weaving it's way between a paddleboarder and me.

Yesterday was very confusing. It was like all of the New Yorkers were out for the weekend.
I am sorry but I have been a long time poster and a 12 year part time resident and avid boater and I take ofense to your comments about New Yorkers. Myself and my family has been boating here and home for decades and know and understand the rules and regs in both types of water bodies.

You should limit your comments to knuckleheads not to geographic areas. I have seen poor boating skills from everywhere on the lake including NH and Mass residents.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
NickNH (09-29-2014), pjard (09-29-2014), Tired of Waiting (09-30-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Weirs Channel

Well, there are folks going way too slow for a change. Quite the opposite of the Governor's Island and Long Island bridge no wake zone. I really think channels and passages should be designated headway speed and zones as No Wake to avoid confusing folks from out of town.

Anybody witness Captain Pontoon with his dock lights on again coming through the Weirs Channel about 8pm last night? Enough is enough!

All in all it was a great weekend. Despite the number of boats, it appeared civil with very few bonehead moves. I did notice unusual MP presence this weekend. At the sandbars, public docks, and channels. You would think this will be the case in season.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 09-29-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
donnamatrix

Default Weekend Boneheads

Well, great weather for the weekend, but the Captain Boneheads were really out on Sunday 9/28. We were going north to Lee's Mills, coming out (jut out, really) of the channel/no wake zone: there was a pontoon boat going south slowly to the left of the channel and two kayaks on the right. A large pontoon boat with a woman driving it comes barreling south, goes between the pontoon boat and our 24' FourWinns - I screamed at them... they had no clue at all. What boneheads. I hope they read this post.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
jetlag100

I had a repeat performance going thru the Graveyard on Saturday. Passing us , within 20 ft or so, waving as then went by, and then, realizing that they were on the wrong side of the buoy at the Whortleberry end ...Karma it is! Boat is tucked away until next season...already counting the days!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Altonbayicefishingfool

Talking

Years back I worked at a local marina doing rentals.... I was asked once "where are the brakes"

Another person asked "when does the tide go out"

Yup, I'm glad these people are navigating our lovely lake!
The Following User Says Thank You to Altonbayicefishingfool For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (10-01-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Dad sold the C * C

Default Loon? what Loon?

The answer is YES, they can be that stupid, or clueless.

While we were eating dinner on our deck we watched a boat going WOT heading for two Loons. We could not believe it when the boat didn’t turn, they went right between them, both birds dove and yes they did come back up. The boat slowed down after they went over the loons, lotta good that did them. I really don’t think the driver saw them but they are big, and it wasn’t dark yet..

I’m on Winnisquam and did not recognize the boat. Fortunately both birds seemed OK