Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Captain Boneheads are everywhere

On Sunday, 7/21 around 3:30pm: heading north just past Buzzell Cove in Moultonborough Bay, and moving into the marked channel near lighted buoy #14: We were overtaken (duh: WE had the right of way) by not less than 3 boneheads-in boats, and on Seadoos - one boat and one Seadoo (with woman and child) were less than 50 feet from our boat. I really am continually stunned by the stupidity and arrogance of the boaters on the lake. Honk your horn at them and these idiots wave, no less. Give me a break.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
jetskier

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
On Sunday, 7/21 around 3:30pm: heading north just past Buzzell Cove in Moultonborough Bay, and moving into the marked channel near lighted buoy #14: We were overtaken (duh: WE had the right of way) by not less than 3 boneheads-in boats, and on Seadoos - one boat and one Seadoo (with woman and child) were less than 50 feet from our boat. I really am continually stunned by the stupidity and arrogance of the boaters on the lake. Honk your horn at them and these idiots wave, no less. Give me a break.
We have noticed this too. It seems much worse than in previous years. On July 4th we expected to see a fatality as a boat was backing into the swimming area at the Margate (about 3' from swimmers). They were not put off by my shouting warnings. There is a real widespread case of stupidity out there.

Jetskier
Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Although I do not condone breaking the 150 foot rule, I think the channel between Buzzell and Suissevale is OKAY within a respectable manner. Kind of hard to define, but as we know that is not a no-wake zone (nor do I ever think it should be). I have overtaken boats in that channel (likely within 150 feet), however have done so respectfully. I usually wait until we hit Ambrose cove where it widens up and go wide. Marine Patrol used to be notorious for hanging out in that channel knowing it was not a no-wake zone but pulling people over anyway. I still notice them in there frequently, however, they're a lot more considerate and it appears they're just monitoring the traffic now.

Yesterday, around the same time I came in through there and got gas at Ambrose Cove. On the voyage back to Suissevale I didn't go much more than a no-wake speed as my crew was just enjoying the day hanging out on the boat. I was overtaken by three boats and two jet skis (within 150ft, likely well within 100 feet) but I didn't take offense as I hugged the red markers to try and give them plenty of space. There was no oncoming traffic heading out to Moultonboro Bay so I felt they were well within their rights and not causing me an issue as I would have just slowed them up.

Needless to say, there's been PLENTY of times where I do not agree, but in some cases I think it is appropriate/okay. Unfortunately, the area you speak about it happens extremely frequently.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
XCR-700

I have to agree with Shreddy, saw a few people well within the 150' limit this weekend, but they were well behaved and in control and I saw no threat to anyone.

I am more concerned about reckless driving than being 50' from another moving boat.

Just take a trip through the mouth on the Merrimack river and you will know fear, and we don't even want to talk about 150' spacing, that will NEVER happen there,,,
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Woodsy

Just an FYI.... you can LEGALLY pass (overtake) another boat in a NWZ or marked channel.... it just depends on HOW you go about it.

I like the 150' rule, and I kind of think it as a guideline so as not to get too upset with those ignorant of that particular rule. There are NO other states with a 150" rule in regards to boat on boat operation. The rule is there to prevent collisions, and while collisions still happen, I think that rule helps. I don't get upset if someone comes too close to me, as long as I see them, and I can quickly discern their intended path so I can doo my part avoid any possibility of a collision.

I agree with XCR-700 - take your boat out on the ocean and see what CRAZY really is!

Woodsy
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
AB_Monterey

Would this be a good place to give a big shout out to the genius who, after I offered to walk his boat off the crowded sandbar in West Alton yesterday, insisted that he was fine and then proceeded to slice my anchor line with his prop and then keep on going even though he knew he had done it?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
Would this be a good place to give a big shout out to the genius who, after I offered to walk his boat off the crowded sandbar in West Alton yesterday, insisted that he was fine and then proceeded to slice my anchor line with his prop and then keep on going even though he knew he had done it?
There were a couple of boats really struggling to get out of there yesterday afternoon, and a few were doing some really odd things. There were some really big boats there!

I had a bit of trouble initially getting my anchors set, but like you had offered, I had someone lend a hand until we were locked down. I cant think of a time I ever needed any help before, but I was thankful for the assist yesterday. I dont think it would have ever gotten away from me, it was just nice to have someone lend a hand.

Hope you were able to recover the anchor,,, Having a line cut is not fun, but losing an anchor would be a bummer.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
pjard

I know that it's frustrating when we see knuckleheads out there. But complaining on this forum is useless. Lots of folks don't understand or even know about the 150' rule...lots don't understand the spar bouys or markers...many simply don't know how to navigate. However, in the end I think very few have any ill intentions. Hopefully those that need some education will get it and be better boaters, but guess what? There will be a new generation of knuckleheads right behind them. This forum is great for sharing best practices, questions about odd placed spar bouys, odd unmarked areas, etc....but complaining about the idiots is fruitless. Overall this is the best boating lake in New England and maybe beyond. It could be a whole lot worse.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Overall this is the best boating lake in New England and maybe beyond. It could be a whole lot worse.
Maybe off season, I use to love the lake a decade ago. I'd rather boat Wiinisquam on weekends during the season. Winnisquam is a must better lake.

The problem is that when there is a casualty, a certain group of people wants to public to believe speed is the issue. In reality it is a bonehead move. Leading the public to believe there is nothing wrong with the current law enforcement.
Webbsatwinni (07-23-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
I know that it's frustrating when we see knuckleheads out there. But complaining on this forum is useless. Lots of folks don't understand or even know about the 150' rule...lots don't understand the spar bouys or markers...many simply don't know how to navigate. However, in the end I think very few have any ill intentions. Hopefully those that need some education will get it and be better boaters, but guess what? There will be a new generation of knuckleheads right behind them. This forum is great for sharing best practices, questions about odd placed spar bouys, odd unmarked areas, etc....but complaining about the idiots is fruitless. Overall this is the best boating lake in New England and maybe beyond. It could be a whole lot worse.
Nothing wrong with a little venting,,,

I agree that most of the folks on the lake dont have ill intentions, in my opinion I think the few that cause problems are mostly just inexperienced and dont have a clue. Oh sure there are some who are overly aggressive and the ocassional person who doesnt gave a damn about anyone else and is totally self-absorbed, but most are not looking for a problem. When I see someone not exactly 150' away or not giving way when I think they should, I dont usually get too excited, I just do my best to avoid a problem and let them go their merry way,,,

Life is way too short to get worked up about every issue. Save the real anger and frustration for the big issues, and if a little venting here helps then have at it I say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-23-2013), LFOD (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
HomeWood

That is right in front of our house, donna. I used to attempt to abide by the 150' rule in this area of the lake, but I evetually noticed that I was really the only one trying. Now I keep a reasonable speed as the conditions allow, use common sense, and be extra cautious when overtaking a slower boat or when passing a boat going in the opposite direction. I've seen some very interesting boating scenarios throughout the years while sitting on the porch. I enjoy (in a manner of speaking) looking at the new scars on the rocks every summer on the west side of the black marker. We've also found many prop flukes and lower unit parts among the rocks.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Maybe off season, I use to love the lake a decade ago. I'd rather boat Wiinisquam on weekends during the season. Winnisquam is a must better lake.

The problem is that when there is a casualty, a certain group of people wants to public to believe speed is the issue. In reality it is a bonehead move. Leading the public to believe there is nothing wrong with the current law enforcement.
Hummm,,,

Apples to oranges,,,

Hard to say one is better than the other, they are just too different. Winnisquam is much more quiet and calmer water overall, but lacking all the destinations of Winnipesaukee. My wife and kids enjoy trips to Alton, Wolfeboro, Weirs, etc. And as many pit stops as we can fit into a day. Well leaving reasonable time for sandbar action!!!

But seriously, our day might include a morning pit stop in Wolfeboro for cookies at the Yum Yum shop. Then maybe some tubing followed by sandwichs from home on the Weirs dock, or a slice of pizza or Harts Slush at on the boardwalk. Next some sandbar action somewhere and rounded out by an ice cream in Alton before packing up for the trip home and a burger at Sawyers. Now thats a GREAT day!!!

You cant do all that on Winnisquam,,, Not that Winnisquam doesnt offer a lot, they are just not equal in all respects.

Both good, but different.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Default I agree with XCR 700

Weekends are a horror show on Winnipesaukee. When I have a boat load of kids/grandkids I have more fun at the Winnisquam sandbar where we don't get harass by lake front owners and marine patrol. The water is a lot calmer for water sports. Fishing is great! Going to destinations such as Wolfeboro, Alton etc. is not the grandkids idea of a great time. I save that for the weekdays when my adult friends are here for boating.

Winnisquam has the best launch ramp I have ever seen on a fresh water lake. The marinas are super friendly and Winnisquam Marina has a fantastic ship store. There is even a convenience store with a dock! Perfect for the day tripper!

I am surprised of the number of Winnipesaukee folks on Lake Winnisquam on weekends. A number of us, I included, bought a trailer just to haul the boat to Winnisquam when we have a dock on Winnipesaukee.

I know of a few that has a boat on Winnpesaukee and PWCs on Winnisquam. I have been entertaining that thought as I have mooring rights on Winnisquam.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
There were a couple of boats really struggling to get out of there yesterday afternoon, and a few were doing some really odd things. There were some really big boats there!

I had a bit of trouble initially getting my anchors set, but like you had offered, I had someone lend a hand until we were locked down. I cant think of a time I ever needed any help before, but I was thankful for the assist yesterday. I dont think it would have ever gotten away from me, it was just nice to have someone lend a hand.

Hope you were able to recover the anchor,,, Having a line cut is not fun, but losing an anchor would be a bummer.
No issue. We grabbed both sides and tied them together and continued on with our day. I'm obviously not looking for anything other than an opportunity to vent here.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Default Saturday Afternoon

Saturday afternoon around 2PM two jetskis traveled way above no wake speed through the Governor's Island bridge no wake zone. They even maneuver between boats that were under the bridge! They head out toward Varney Point and apparently the MP was there and stop them. I don't know if they got stop because of the no wake incident or they were traveling at high speed within 20' of each other. Anyway, Hats off to the MP.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
jrc

If you mention that the 150' rule applies to two jet skis traveling together, they look at you like you have two heads. I'm sure two jet skis in open water less than 150' apart is not very dangerous but it is the rule.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-09-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
topwater

Quote:
Haven't you noticed??? IT IS GETTING WORSE....
Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Haven't you noticed??? IT IS GETTING WORSE....
We were passed, overtaken, within 150' 4 times today in and around the east end of the lake and Broads. Not even a look from any of the boat(s) as they passed.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
pjard

So as per my previous note, I'm not going to complain about the idiots but boy oh boy was today busy! ...and yes, the knuckleheads were out in force today. I think the 150' rule was busted on me today at least 5 times including the same jetski twice right off Anchor Marine....but I'm not complaining It could be worse. I think its going to be a CRAZY weekend.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
BroadHopper

And the jetski owners wonder why we call them 'lake lice'. Yesterday afternoon off east side of Governor's Island, a jetski actually thought it was cool to spray the boat while I am traveling at plane (30 mph). Of course he steered off to travel in the opposite direction so I did not get a chance to read the bow numbers. He traveled to other jetskiers. It must be a dare trick?

Also, on the way back from the NAZ at 10:30p there was a boat on Paugus Bay with just the anchor light on. I am assuming a stationary or paddle craft. Low and behold, the guy almost sideswipe me! It looks like one of those Seadoo crafts that you sit in. He was on plane with passengers. He appear to be zig zagging in the middle of the night!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
Little Bear

Default First place award

I witnessed the ultimate captain bonehead move yesterday. It was about 5:30pm, and there was a boat pulling a waterskier heading NE between Little Bear Island and Long Island, right at Flashing Light #10. There was a bonehead driving a bowrider following right behind the waterskier - probably about 200' behind the skier.

The skier fell right next to FL #10 - probably 50' from the light itself. The guy following the skier never slowed down, but rather just swerved to avoid the skier and went between the skier and the FL. The skier apparently didn't know the boat was near him or coming up on him, because he never looked around. I thought for sure the clown in the bowrider was going to decapitate the skier. Thankfully, nobody got hurt and the bonehead just kept on going. A short time later the boat that was pulling the skier came back to the skier.

This is a true testament to the fact that the boater education course (and other "laws") are completely useless. About 2 hours before this, I took a jet ski ride over to Braun Bay, and witnessed Marine Patrol hassling some boats tied up near the shore. Yes, perhaps they were "breaking the law" but it seems to me that Marine Patrol resources would be better served enforcing more important (and potentially life saving) laws. They could hang out by East Cove and FL #10 on any given weekend day and empty their violation book in no time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I witnessed the ultimate captain bonehead move yesterday. It was about 5:30pm, and there was a boat pulling a waterskier heading NE between Little Bear Island and Long Island, right at Flashing Light #10. There was a bonehead driving a bowrider following right behind the waterskier - probably about 200' behind the skier.

The skier fell right next to FL #10 - probably 50' from the light itself. The guy following the skier never slowed down, but rather just swerved to avoid the skier and went between the skier and the FL. The skier apparently didn't know the boat was near him or coming up on him, because he never looked around. I thought for sure the clown in the bowrider was going to decapitate the skier. Thankfully, nobody got hurt and the bonehead just kept on going. A short time later the boat that was pulling the skier came back to the skier.

This is a true testament to the fact that the boater education course (and other "laws") are completely useless. About 2 hours before this, I took a jet ski ride over to Braun Bay, and witnessed Marine Patrol hassling some boats tied up near the shore. Yes, perhaps they were "breaking the law" but it seems to me that Marine Patrol resources would be better served enforcing more important (and potentially life saving) laws. They could hang out by East Cove and FL #10 on any given weekend day and empty their violation book in no time.
One could argue that water skiing in a narrow channel like that is pretty bone-headed too. There's not much room between FL10 and Long Island in that spot, especially if both boats are headed NE where it gets considerably narrower in a hurry.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
jrc

Don't forget that boats towing a skier have the right of way, just ask them. BTW I know this is not true but they all seem to believe it.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #24
NH_boater

Yesterday around 5pm in Alton Bay, extremely busy out there and here comes a 16 or 17 ft POS bow rider with a bunch of kids aboard, two of which are in the bow hanging way forward over the front of the bow. To make this potential death run even better, a boat is trailing right behind while the bonehead at the helm aimed for every wake he could find in front of sandy point. I was cringing on how close these kids were to be seriously or fatally injured. Boat is bouncing, kids are laughing and screaming and these kids are hanging over the bow bouncing all over the place.

This a$$clown has no business on the water and these kids came close to paying the price for this idiot's poor judgement.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
Misha888

Default Boneheads . . .

are the #1 reason our boat is still not in the water. We'll watch the chaos from the dock and plunk her in in a couple weeks. Some of the best boating is to be had Labor day ~~~>

Happy boating.
KPW (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Default 9 AM in front of the Weirs bridge.

Saturday a bass boat with what looks like a father and a young son actually floating smack in the middle of the channel! As I proceed to the right of his boat so that traffic can travel out on his left, he actually flag me to go left! He was fishing to the right of his boat. I this guy crazy or does he have the right to direct traffic into each other in the middle of a busy channel?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #27
Webbsatwinni

Quote:

Agreed! It's funny how those same groups that jumped all over accidents that they could spin to be sped related aren't doing they same to this weeks news.

http://www.wmur.com/news/powerboat-c...161274#!bnQdEQ

Accidents happen and happen to all ages, boat sizes, speeds and locations. It's too bad a few people amplify the ones that progress their agenda.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #28
Pineedles

It's the same response by legislators to mass killings at schools. Pass a feel good law that does nothing, declare you have addressed the problem, and move on to your next election.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #29
Bandrews7

Quote:
Saturday a bass boat with what looks like a father and a young son actually floating smack in the middle of the channel! As I proceed to the right of his boat so that traffic can travel out on his left, he actually flag me to go left! He was fishing to the right of his boat. I this guy crazy or does he have the right to direct traffic into each other in the middle of a busy channel?

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Three kids in bass boat. Drifting across channel to towards the Naz and casting left back towards channel. They were taking up all the navigable water. Had to sound the horn to get them to realize they needed to move. Not risking line in the drive. 40 cents in line can take out a drive seal real quick.