Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Webbsatwinni

Default Observation

We had a few friends and family up at the lake last week and weekend and took many rides all over to show them the lake (and they all loved the lake).

Was it me or were there many more performance boats out and about as compared to the last few years? It was good to see (gearhead, guilty as charged) performance boats out around the lake. I have missed seeing that in the past few years and didn't know if I was just in the right places at the right time or if anyone else noticed the same thing. Either way it made my week!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
cillovely

I love seeing them too. The place we rented the past two years we were across from an older couple who had a nice boat, not too crazy but you could tell it had some HP. We would wait and wait and wait for them to take it out just to hear the motor. I think we got our wish once the whole week (both years).

This year we are in a different place, so I won't be seeing them, but I hope to see others out there in two weeks when we get up there.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Thunder Alley

aka Lakeport Landing use to have tons of performance boats. Today I see mostly day cruisers and quite a few PWCs. Same situation across the river at Paugus Bay Marina.

One of my favorites was sold and now appears in Sarasota FL. Another appears in Scituate Mass. A third the owner moved to Great Bay.

The NAZ on a typical weekend use to have a dozen or more performance boats docking. Today only one or two. They are out there but not as many.

What you will see is more cruisers and land yachts.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I think overall what you are seeing is not so much a gain in performance boats on the lake... As much as you are seeing more of the performance boats on the lake getting used.

Many boats left with the speed limit and economy impacts, over the last several years... Those that remained, where sitting idle more often then not, because of the sticker shock of gas.. This sticker shock of gas has worn off, and the economy is improving, hence the performance boats that remain are starting to head out on the lake more often....

Thats just my .03 cents
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
AC2717

beginning of this season, I saw the spinderman boat on the lake, the next weekend it was traveling south through the hooksett toll while I was heading North through it, I have not seen it on the lake since. Also Its berth in the Channel has had its door closed so I am not so sure it is up here anymore or if still same owners
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Default Performance boats maintenance

I notice a lot of performance boats are trailered to this area to have Diamond Shine do detailing. Silver Sands and Lakeport Landing have excellent reputation at having good performance mechanics. I've seen performance boats trailered to Lakeport Landing and Diamond Shine and I never see the boats on the big lake.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
NHskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
beginning of this season, I saw the spinderman boat on the lake, the next weekend it was traveling south through the hooksett toll while I was heading North through it, I have not seen it on the lake since. Also Its berth in the Channel has had its door closed so I am not so sure it is up here anymore or if still same owners
We saw the Spiderman boat pulling out of it's berth in the channel this evening.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Webbsatwinni

Well, let's hope there is a good showing for this weekends poker run!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Spidey was back on the lake all weekend.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
AC2717

that is good to hear, he has a good attraction for the lake!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
ThePlut

Default New boaters

I can't say that I've noticed more performance boats, but I've only been up a few times.

What I have noticed is what must be a ton of new boaters. I saw several boats on the wrong side of markers near Eagle, saw one guy cruise right through the rocky area near Farrar point last weekend, and I've seen at least a dozen people on plane well before reaching the no wake zone markers leaving and entering Meredith bay.

Well beyond anything I've ever seen, and it's a small sample given how little time I've been up...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Webbsatwinni

Default I couldn't help myself, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut View Post
What I have noticed is what must be a ton of new boaters. I saw several boats on the wrong side of markers near Eagle, saw one guy cruise right through the rocky area near Farrar point last weekend, and I've seen at least a dozen people on plane well before reaching the no wake zone markers leaving and entering Meredith bay.

Well beyond anything I've ever seen, and it's a small sample given how little time I've been up...
That was a focus of some to make the lake safer by backing new laws and regulations. I have seen the same thing and needed to speed up to avoid them. That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Again, sorry
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
That was a focus of some to make the lake safer by backing new laws and regulations. I have seen the same thing and needed to speed up to avoid them. That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Again, sorry
For the sake of safety is a smoke screen, the real intent is to turn the lake into 'golden pond'.

All the seasoned skippers left, the unseasoned skippers have taken over. I only boat on weekdays when most of them are gone.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
For the sake of safety is a smoke screen, the real intent is to turn the lake into 'golden pond'.

All the seasoned skippers left, the unseasoned skippers have taken over. I only boat on weekdays when most of them are gone.
Agreed, just not sure if there is an awareness or care to the new issue created.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut View Post
I can't say that I've noticed more performance boats, but I've only been up a few times.

I have seen the same things.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
aka Lakeport Landing use to have tons of performance boats. Today I see mostly day cruisers and quite a few PWCs. Same situation across the river at Paugus Bay Marina.

One of my favorites was sold and now appears in Sarasota FL. Another appears in Scituate Mass. A third the owner moved to Great Bay.

The NAZ on a typical weekend use to have a dozen or more performance boats docking. Today only one or two. They are out there but not as many.

What you will see is more cruisers and land yachts.
All true and,unfortunately,those that left the lake took their money with them.
Money that used to support stores,restaurants and hotels.
The lack of these seasoned operators has not made the lake safer because they have been replaced by people who,in many cases,are not familiar with the lake and it's rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
LakeSnake

So a few years later the net result of passing the speed limit and boat licence laws is that the lake is actually less safe! Seasoned performace boaters gone to more accomodating places, replaced by todays new boaters that apparently are not aware of the licence requirement (not that it matters realistically) or the boating laws/ regulations in general.
Not to start another debate. But my 2 cents says we should have just enforced the existing laws and we may actually have come out ahead of the game instead of two steps back. All IMHO.
Seaplane Pilot (07-18-2013), VitaBene (07-18-2013)