Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
jetskier

Post Unbelievable

Hi all,

I took the boat out today and I have to admit that this is the worst boating behavior that I have ever seen (boats and PWCs). I don't know if there is a bad case of stupidity, or what...a few of my favorites:
  • The cruiser that came past at full throttle about 75 feet away....towing a small child on a float-able...maybe they were actually using him for bait.
  • The boat that was was backing into a beach area full of children and (when I yelled at them) a passenger told me that they were not even drinking YET! Really your driving is going to improve when you drink, huh?
  • The family swimming in the boating channel in Sally's gut. Let's see small children in the water and large boats with props...what can go wrong with that?

To steal a quote, "let's be careful out there".

Jetskier
Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default They were all out today

I have to agree, I was with my 2 Grandsons (11 and 4) swimming off my anchored boat at the sandbar in Pagus Bay. Some idiot in a 23 ft boat came within 3 feet of the kids who where arms length from the transom of my boat. A yell from me just brought swearing and a 1 finger salute. Just what I wanted with the kids there. I don't get it, how can people be that stupid and out of it?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
hig

The idiots were out in full force this weekend :rolleyes:
Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Kamper

Makes me glad I got a submarine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (07-17-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post
The idiots were out in full force this weekend :rolleyes:
And the weekend doesn't start until tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Default One of my favorites lately

Weds, I am out on a twin engine cruiser. Coming back down the channel towards Paugus. I am at IDLE. Absolutley no wake behind me. However, the dam is open pretty good, and there is definitely a current. So I am moving along at a pretty good clip due to circumstances beyond my control. Lady in Pontoon coming up channel, obviously against the current, barely moving because she doesn't know enough that she can give it a little more throttle and still not have a wake.... Yells to me. SLOW DOWN. My passengers look at me, and LOL. Then I point out, the line of boats this lady is holding up....
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
wifi

Default Sign of the times

People are so concerned with critiquing what everyone else is doing, they don't mind their own affairs.....
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Chaselady

It doesn't have to be a holiday, or a week-end apparently. A large cruiser (over 30 ft?) came into the NWZ by our house today. They cut in front of a sunfish full of young campers, not even by 30 ft. They proceeded past at much greater than headway speed, throwing a large wake, and then went on the wrong side of the spar buoys, over the rocks. I wonder if this idiot had any idea how lucky he was that the water is high.
If I was a parent of one of the campers and saw this, I would be horrified.
Ther is a God, however. The MP happened to be right behind them, and pulled them over.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
... The MP happened to be right behind them, and pulled them over.
(Education) happens!

I spoke with some one I know that recently bought a used boat. She didn't know a proctored class and test were required. I guess now that it's not a hot-topic the general public has less awareness of what our sport requires. Too bad more places that sell marine supplies don't put up public service displays to raise general awareness of the basic legal requirements.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Huge agreement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
(Education) happens!

I spoke with some one I know that recently bought a used boat. She didn't know a proctored class and test were required. I guess now that it's not a hot-topic the general public has less awareness of what our sport requires. Too bad more places that sell marine supplies don't put up public service displays to raise general awareness of the basic legal requirements.
A defunct boater's association was big on getting the word out, posting no wake signs and providing 150' bouys just outside of public docks so boaters will know just how far 150' is. Unfortunately the 'safety nazis' do not see the need for education.

Ever been to Lake George? It's been a while but at the time every launch ramp post the major rules and regulations of the lake. It also continues to the public docks and marinas along the lake, almost George Orwellian.
Kamper (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
magicrobotmonkey

On Lake George you're also required to get a special badge on top of the normal boat registration just to go on the lake. That's probably how they pay for all the educational signage and marine patrol.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Chaselady

Does Connecticut reciprocate with NH boat registrations?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Woodsy

Chaselady...

Boat registrations are like car registrations.... you can go anywhere in the US with them.... that being said, you have to obey all local laws and regulations. Not sure about CT, but if you want to boat on Lake George you have to buy a "Park Sticker" and register with LGPC for the duration of your stay. There is no 150' rule (boat to boat) and that can be a little unsettling for some.

CT requires CT residents to have a safe boaters cert, and they have reprocity with NH. They do not require out of state residents to have a SBC. If you are operating a PWC the rules are somewhat different. To operate a personal watercraft in Connecticut you must obtain a Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation, regardless of residency. There is no 150' rule in CT.

Woodsy
Chaselady (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Kamper

Boat registration reciprocity is not unrestricted. I believe NH allows you to operate an out of state boat for up to 30 days without registering it in NH. This period is not an interstate standard. For instance, Florida allows 90 days.

If you behave yourself you could probably get away with a full season on NH waters without having to get a 2nd registration. I know that I have observed a few Mass boats tied up to docks all season. Of course, it's possible they have the paper work on board and just don't bother to install another set of numbers.

And that's all I think I know about that...

Good luck and enjoy your visit!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
donnamatrix

Default Bad Boaters

Broadhopper- it is the Lakes Region Power & Sail Squadron that put out the buoys marking the 150 foot distance... not Safe Boaters of NH -which I believe is now defunct. The LRSPS also does free boat safety inspections throughout the lakes region on weekends, to ensure boaters have the correct safety equipment. They also conduct the safe boating classes in locations that include Laconia & Moultonboro libraries, the Suissevale Clubhouse, Southdown Clubhouse, etc., The cost is cheap: only covers the study materials.

We saw a pontoon boat on 7/15 in Meredith that was so overloaded-at least 8 adults, and 6 children who had NO LIFE PRESERVERS ON. What a bunch of dolts. We always see folks doing stupid things, not paying attention, drinking, etc., etc. It is the main reason we do not use our boat after dark in summer. People these days just seem to be rude and have a sense of entitlement.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Default Nhrba

I was referring to the NH Recretional Boaters Association, who assist the LRSPS in more ways than one. I still have an NHRBA sticker on my boat that states the basic difference out laws have from other states.

Last night on my sunset cruise, a Thurston rental pontoon overloaded and WOT right through the Eagle Island NWZ, followed by a 30' cruiser also at speed. There was a MP boat sitting off the Mt Washongton marker in front of the Weirs, either he didn't see it or ............................

Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Broadhopper- it is the Lakes Region Power & Sail Squadron that put out the buoys marking the 150 foot distance... not Safe Boaters of NH -which I believe is now defunct. The LRSPS also does free boat safety inspections throughout the lakes region on weekends, to ensure boaters have the correct safety equipment. They also conduct the safe boating classes in locations that include Laconia & Moultonboro libraries, the Suissevale Clubhouse, Southdown Clubhouse, etc., The cost is cheap: only covers the study materials.

We saw a pontoon boat on 7/15 in Meredith that was so overloaded-at least 8 adults, and 6 children who had NO LIFE PRESERVERS ON. What a bunch of dolts. We always see folks doing stupid things, not paying attention, drinking, etc., etc. It is the main reason we do not use our boat after dark in summer. People these days just seem to be rude and have a sense of entitlement.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Dave R

I have never seen such rampant NWZ violations on Winnipesaukee before this year. I was tied up at Meredith for a bit yesterday and my boat was rocking like it was at Weirs Beach; boats were routinely going by at max plow speed. Dit they move the no wake zone (but not the markers) there recently?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
jrc

Regarding Meredith, I think the no wake buoy closest to Church Landing is missing. For that reason or just general disregard for the rules many are coming a lot closer to the docks before completely slowing. That zone starts way further out than people think, especially on the west side.

Two weeks ago, on a Monday, I saw several boats pulling skiers and tubes turning well within the no wake zone. I actually used fenders when I left my boat docked.

When the MP are away...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
HellRaZoR004

I made the comment a few weeks back that it looked like one of the NW buoys was missing as you come into Meredith. Last summer I recall seeing one that was much further out near the center of the harbor. Now I only see ones closer to the shore.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Broadhopper- it is the Lakes Region Power & Sail Squadron that put out the buoys marking the 150 foot distance... .
Not sure about that...I watched the Marine Patrol Work Barge put out the 150 ft marker in Alton Bay, and they used a laser rangefinder like those used by golfers to determine the distance. Also happened to be down in the bay when they took it out at the end of the season. Maybe LRP&S assisted the MP in other areas.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
NH_boater

Crazy incidents this year. Amazing ignorance and ambivalence, especially at the sandbars.

1. Record number of one-anchor-Andy's, usually swinging wildly in the middle of the bar. I love the ones who walk/swim away while their boats swing around.
2. Three times I had other boats drop anchor right across my anchor line without a care. I had one boat drop anchor across my 20' anchor chain and then pull it tight until it sets. Only problem was they were setting on my chain rode not the bar bottom. Again, no checking or fixing, just hook into someone else's rode and begin their day. This happen to be a very windy day and I was worried that they would dislodge my main tackle and leave me to drift into other leeward boats.
3. I have one small fishing boat drop anchor right across my main tackle, completely locking me in, and then stroll away leaving their boat and lines blocking my exit as they wandered around the bar. I called out to them when they dropped in, as I was preparing to leave but they just kept walking away. I am choosing to assume that they did not hear me.
4. One cool customer drops his too small anchor in the muck off the bar, virtually strain down with no scope to speak of and strong winds. Then they all jumped off to swim around. The wind quickly pulled their one bad anchor set and the boat started to drift. Luckily they noticed just as the boat was drifting and they quickly swam to it to catch their boat adrift.
5. Also loved the pontooner who flies in where there was little space, right behind our swim platform and drops his two anchors straight down. Then proceeded to drift into another boat, four times before they accepted help to set them properly.
6. When the wind is blowing laterally and all the boats anchor in bow windward, it is amazing when other come in and anchor beam windward crossing multiple anchor lines in the process. It makes it very difficult for those departing. Didn't they notice that everyone else is pointed in one direction?
7. It also amazes me the lack of consideration when negotiating around other anchor lines. Boats powering into, and also drifting into other lines causes tension for the otherwise fun-loving boaters.
8. It also is funny when folks arrive late on a hot day when the bar is 'full', only to squeeze in to get a good spot right in the middle. Thank good Marine Patrol has not been enforcing the 150' from shore and 25' to other boats or disagreements would likely increase (West Alton). If you want a great spot, get there early or respect those that did.

I am quick to help folks out especially if they are obviously new but this has been borderline ridiculous. This is the worst year in the last decade, in my opinion for newbies, the ignorant and the ambivalent. I am sure the considerate boaters to clueless boaters is 5:1, 10:1 or more, but the clueless can really make an entrance and unsettle others very quickly.

I am having fun and will continue to do so, despite the actions of others. I just have to shake my head sometimes. Off the box.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
Happy Gourmand

Yup, a LOT of obviously new boaters. I can't believe the number of boats that I've seen cut between the black markers on the northern side of Eagle Island. I'm sure I've seen at least a dozen this year already and I cringe every time..I guess it's a good thing the lake is still relatively high.
We were all new boaters once, and like the newbies out there now, I'm sure we all made our share of mistakes, it just seems like there are more of them this year.
All we can do is be patient, help where we can, and try our best to not let any newbie or any other perhaps unknowing inconsiderate boater ruin our time out there.
I try to enjoy all me precious moments on the water.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

Hi Donnamatrix, I just want to chime in to correct a false assumption: SBONH is absolutely not defunct. Bob Flannery has recently taken over as President and currently setting next years agenda. We have been active in Concord, most recently trying to get a provision in the budget to make sure the Navigation and Safety fund is strictly a dedicated fund and cannot be raided every time there is a budget deficit. Unfortunately those in control of the legislature do not like having their hands tied by dedicated funds... We will continue to work on that however along with other initiatives. You are correct that SBONH does not put in the 150 markers. I am a member of the LRSPS and I am not 100% sure that we are responsible for those either. I will check and get back to you. As far as Safe Boaters of New Hampshire we have been working behind the scenes on many projects and will have exciting news following the next elections! Stay tuned it will be very interesting!!!
Seaplane Pilot (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
LSBA Joker

Default Meredith Bay

Agree with craziness in Meredith this year. But, not sure all are newbies. Tonight I was outbound moving under 6kts and approx 100 yds from the line when a couple of (umm) more mature folks passed me within 50ft happily plowing along. Looking at me, they didn't show an ounce of concern. another in a long list of Captain Boneheads!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #25
NH_boater

When I stated 'newbies', I was referring to experience, not age, but you raise a good point that some of these folks may be quite experienced and simply not care about being law abiding or considerate.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
Crazy incidents this year. ...

5. Also loved the pontooner who flies in where there was little space, right behind our swim platform and drops his two anchors straight down. Then proceeded to drift into another boat, four times before they accepted help to set them properly...
Try this...

Hi there fellow boater! Just so you know... I have real good insurance so if you bang up my boat they'll fix it real nice. I know this for a fact because it's happened once already. Unfortunately the guy who hit me had to sell his boat to pay the claim when they subrogated him.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
Wolfeboro_Baja

Did anyone else see this article in the Sunday Concord Monitor?

On patrol; Cruising Lake Winnipesaukee with the long arm of the law

In the online edition, it's titled "One Man's Plan: A night on Winnipesaukee with the Marine Patrol". Sadly, it's almost humorous to read the article but it does bring up almost everything we complain about here regarding the ignorance and/or out-and-out disregard by some boaters for the boating laws on Winnipesaukee.
KeepItSimple (07-22-2013), NHBUOY (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Dave's a good guy. Good article.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Wolfeboro_Baja

My wife thought it amusing that the MP officer in the article is named Dave Jones (I wonder if anyone ever called him Davey? )! Also, when we took the boating safety course when we bought our first boat back in 1999, our instructor's name was Art Stern! Go figure!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
NHBUOY

He was the cute one in "The Monkees".
Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
Wolfeboro_Baja

That Davy would be the dead one. Too bad, he was only 66.

Actually, we were thinking more marine related, i.e., Davey Jones locker!
NHBUOY (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 AM   #32
ApS

Cool Needed before—Needed now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Yup, a LOT of obviously new boaters. I can't believe the number of boats that I've seen cut between the black markers on the northern side of Eagle Island. I'm sure I've seen at least a dozen this year already and I cringe every time..I guess it's a good thing the lake is still relatively high.
We were all new boaters once, and like the newbies out there now, I'm sure we all made our share of mistakes, it just seems like there are more of them this year. All we can do is be patient, help where we can, and try our best to not let any newbie or any other perhaps unknowing inconsiderate boater ruin our time out there.
I try to enjoy all my precious moments on the water.
As to complaints about New Hampshire's "newbie boaters":

Weather forecasting has improved over the decade, so that boaters from neighboring states can just "drop in". Gloomy weather can be expected to concentrate all boaters into sunny weekends—not just "newbie" boaters.

Our worst July weather in a decade has some blame for concentrating boaters onto Lake Winnipesaukee: our tenants were here for ten days in July, and went home without their customary sunburns.

NH has reciprocity regarding licensure—some "exams" are better than others. The first states with such "exams"—CT and NJ—were forced to tighten their requirements recently.

This season, I've seen it too—so unless a NH "Safety" club can initiate some form of educational methodology, it's just something we'll have to live with.

WRT to NH_boater,

When weather concentrates "newbie" boaters at sandbars, why is legislation proposed to double the number of boats rafting together, and to reduce spacing between the rafts?

I propose again a requirement that all childrens' sizes of PFDs be embossed on the back with NH's unique regulations. For those future boaters, each child will be exposed to the RSAs. Newbie skippers in those dreaded bow-rider rentals will be unable to overlook NH's RSAs posted directly in front of them.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #33
NH_boater

I am not sure as to what legislation you are referring but my feelings are this.

First, if the legislation is passed, follow the rules, I.e.; no rafting zones distance to shore and 25' to other boats.

Second, I do not support the speed limit. It was an answer to a problem that did not exist and did nothing to make our waters safer.

I do not support no rafting zones. I do not believe that a select 25 people should be able to significantly affect the use of public waterways for hundreds or thousands of people. I also maintain that this usually backfires for landowners wanting a NRZ. General boaters and new-comers see NRZ's and think that it must be a good place to anchor so they go there to try it out. I tell people that ask me for a good sandbar or anchorage spot to go to the NRZ's first. I think that we should all do this.

I so not support most of the NWZ's on the lake. Again, I think they backfire for those who wanted them. Now you have slowing and accelerating boats with their LARGER wake to deal with, not to mention boats taking minutes instead of seconds to pass. The accelerating boats are probably louder than passing ones anyway.

I do think that safe passage is a good law /policy.

I may not support the SL, NRZ's and most NWZ's but I obey them and expect others to do the same.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
This season, I've seen it too—so unless a NH "Safety" club can initiate some form of educational methodology, it's just something we'll have to live with.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #35
BroadHopper

Default Good point APS!

Why don't you encourage your troop to initiate a NH safety course and provide PFD instructions in NH. Instead of sitting on their rocking chairs with phone in their hands and call in any performance boats that cross their sights.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #36
paintitredinHC

Default *Almost* Humorous

The rules are established to ensure safety of ourselves and other people who use the public waters. With that being said, I cannot deny that I have bent the rules from time to time. Can you honestly say that you have never bent the rules? Have you rolled through a stop sign, or stayed under 65mph on Rt. 93 on your way up to the lake? Have you ever used two short blasts on your horn as you were overtaking a boat on your starboard side? Please.

My point is; there is a difference between egregious violations of the law, and a small infraction. A boater under the influence and a jet ski jumping the wake of the mount are completely different. (By the way, the mounts’ wake isn’t that large). It appears even Officer Dave is aware of the difference. The author of this article inarticulately and inaccurately depicts the lake as lawless, and a lone MP officer is unable to maintain order on this Wild West lake. I’d happily spend additional tax dollars ensuring better boater education, than fund additional officers.

Furthermore, I take issue with the authors lack of due diligence. Last time I checked, Spindle Point is not anywhere near 3 Mile Island. Also, it’s Hermit Cove, not Hermit’s. This author is the epitome of everything wrong with today’s media. What ever happened to unbiased reporting? The author clearly had a preconceived notion of what he wanted to write, and he forced stories to match that agenda. He did so at the risk of defamation towards largely law abiding, (and loon conscious) HIGH tax paying citizens. The same people he is asking to fund the topic of his agenda. Mr. O’Shea, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Did anyone else see this article in the Sunday Concord Monitor?

On patrol; Cruising Lake Winnipesaukee with the long arm of the law

In the online edition, it's titled "One Man's Plan: A night on Winnipesaukee with the Marine Patrol". Sadly, it's almost humorous to read the article but it does bring up almost everything we complain about here regarding the ignorance and/or out-and-out disregard by some boaters for the boating laws on Winnipesaukee.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paintitredinHC For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-06-2013), ishoot308 (09-05-2013), Orion (09-07-2013)