Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Hubbard

Default Sally's Gut

Wow, I saw something twice this weekend that blew me away. Boats anchored in FRONT of the highly -trafficed- on- a- weekend Sally's Gut (Meredith side), with people (kids) swimming off the boat. That's basically the mouth of a channel. Which got me thinking, besides being pretty dangerous, wouldn't that be some kind of illegal from the MP's point of view?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
Wow, I saw something twice this weekend that blew me away. Boats anchored in FRONT of the highly -trafficed- on- a- weekend Sally's Gut (Meredith side), with people (kids) swimming off the boat. That's basically the mouth of a channel. Which got me thinking, besides being pretty dangerous, wouldn't that be some kind of illegal from the MP's point of view?
Nothing illegal about it. Anchor away where ever you want my friend. People anchor in some weird spots but... You know what they say... There's an a$$ for every seat'!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
Knomad

It is illegal in NH to:

Place an obstruction in the water that is dangerous to others’ navigation or anchor a vessel in the traveled portion of a river or channel that will prevent or interfere with any other vessel passing through the same area.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
I don't find that dangerous at all. I know the area well and there is plenty of room for boats to travel in and out of the gut and if necessary go around any anchored boats or people swimming at headway speed. People who own camps in Sally's Gut swim all the time while boats traverse through...I see no difference.

Dan
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
jrc

The south west end of Sally's gut is pretty wide open, can you really block the channel with a boat? I doubt if you could accuse a boat of blocking navigation unless they anchored right in the narrowest spot at the east end.

People anchor and swim near narrow channels all time, just slow down and watch for swimmers. The one that scares me the most is the Weirs channel. Kids swimming behind Donna Jean's or in those cabins, always seem oh so close. But they have as much right to swim as I do to boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
barsully (11-28-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
NHBUOY

H, I too, have noticed Cummings Cove side HAS been much busier this summer for some reason. No particular vehicle either. I have witnessed more than a couple of "brain fade" moments. Hopefully they learned something in the process tho...