Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Yet More Bonehead Captains

Honestly. This happened Saturday 7/16 around 4:30 in Lee's Mills and then in the area going south from LM into Moultonboro Bay. Fellow driving a SeaDoo (think he may live in Lee's Mills), pulling an inflatable with 3 young girls-there were NO SPOTTERS. When he had stopped in the middle of the bay (before Moultonboro Bay), we pulled alongside and my hubby said "Hey, do you know that you are breaking several laws?" And the guy and the kids sneered at us and said "Huh?-what?" Whereupon we reeled off the rules of towing: can only two 2 individuals must have a spotter for each person being towed. I took a picture of him, just have to figure out how to get it outta my camera. We later saw a Marine Patrol Boat going up toward Lee's Mills, so hopefully, the MPs can get this guy on the right course, cause he wasn't interested in listening to us.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Honestly. This happened Saturday 7/16 around 4:30 in Lee's Mills and then in the area going south from LM into Moultonboro Bay. Fellow driving a SeaDoo (think he may live in Lee's Mills), pulling an inflatable with 3 young girls-there were NO SPOTTERS. When he had stopped in the middle of the bay (before Moultonboro Bay), we pulled alongside and my hubby said "Hey, do you know that you are breaking several laws?" And the guy and the kids sneered at us and said "Huh?-what?" Whereupon we reeled off the rules of towing: can only two 2 individuals must have a spotter for each person being towed. I took a picture of him, just have to figure out how to get it outta my camera. We later saw a Marine Patrol Boat going up toward Lee's Mills, so hopefully, the MPs can get this guy on the right course, cause he wasn't interested in listening to us.
I believe on a 3 seater jet ski you can only tow 1 person as you need 1 spotter on the machine and a spot to carry the person being towed.

The other day I saw 2 people on a 3 person ski towing 2 people in one tube. They were leaving from the big boat house in Smith Cove, withing sight of MP headquarters!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I believe on a 3 seater jet ski you can only tow 1 person as you need 1 spotter on the machine and a spot to carry the person being towed.
You would be correct in this thought, so far as I know. You have to have a spot in/on the vessel, for each person behind it.

Donnamatrix,

next time get The bow numbers and call it into the Marine Patrol.... The might not be able to catch them in the act. However with your report they may just pull them over for a safety inspection and talked to them about what you reported.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
jrc

Ok going to the limit on this, can you have three people on the PWC. One driver and two facing backwards as spotters, and then have two people tubing?

I heard no, because you have to have a place for the tubers on the tow boat, but I can't find any law or rule.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Fellow driving a SeaDoo pulling an inflatable with 3 young girls-there were NO SPOTTERS.
Ignorant adult (presumably) placing three young girls in serious danger. I would like to THANK YOU for taking the time to attempt to educate the adult and to assist those young girls.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default they are everywhere,especially on the roads

Yesterday I was tooling up the bypass on my bike following a line of cars. As usual several tailgaters in the pack were riding bumpers.
As we approached the 35mph sign the Connecticut driver crosses the double solid line and passes the car in front of him. We were already driving at 55 in the 35 zone.
What’s more baffling is he immediately was behind the guy in front of the one he just passed so he got no where.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

The other day I saw 2 people on a 3 person ski towing 2 people in one tube. They were leaving from the big boat house in Smith Cove, withing sight of MP headquarters!
Your Yamaha is working great and the kids are finally getting to ride on a jet ski. I avoided buying one for 18 years because of the noise but they talked me into it last year.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
gravy boat

Default Boneheads

A wise man once said, "you can't fix stupid."
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #9
ApS

Red face Those Awkward PWC Regulations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Ok going to the limit on this, can you have three people on the PWC. One driver and two facing backwards as spotters, and then have two people tubing?

I heard no, because you have to have a place for the tubers on the tow boat, but I can't find any law or rule.
It would follow logically, that five on a PWC would exceed the typical PWC's stated capacity.

(But would not necessarily be ticketed when two are on the tube, and not on the PWC).
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
It would follow logically, that five on a PWC would exceed the typical PWC's stated capacity.

(But would not necessarily be ticketed when two are on the tube, and not on the PWC).
Back in the old days I used to tow a tube behind my 300cc stand up Jetski. The police would come down to the launch and say "Looks like fun"

Never really had to look back because if the person fell off I would pick up about 10MPH instantly.