Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
OCDACTIVE

Default National Boating Safety Awareness Week

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire

“To promote safety through education and legislation that works”

http://www.SBONH.ORG

This week, May 21–27 is National Safe Boating week!

Get a Vessel Safety Check as part of your springtime boat checklist.

For Immediate Release:

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire is urging boaters everywhere to remember a key component of getting your boat ready for the upcoming boating season. Get a FREE Vessel Safety Check!

This week is National Safe Boating week, the week set aside to highlight the safety equipment on your boat as you get it ready for the summer season.

Make the Vessel Safety Check offered by the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron part of your preparation!

The trained members of the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron will go over the safety equipment on your boat with you, pointing out things that you might not have thought of that could be problematic if an emergency arises.

The Vessel Safety Check takes about a half hour depending on the size of your boat, but it is a half hour that could save you from grief later in the season.

For your FREE Vessel Safety Check contact the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron through their website, http://www.LRSPS.org or email a Vessel Examiner at vsc@lrsps.org.

If your boat is not in the Lakes Region yet but you would still like a Vessel Safety Check you can locate a nearby Vessel Examiner with either the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary at http://www.safetyseal.net

National Safe Boating week has its roots here in New England . It was first established in June of 1952 when a Coast Guard Auxiliary flotilla in Amesbury , Massachusetts launched it as a way to offer free checks of safety equipment to boaters. In 1958, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a resolution declaring the first National Safe Boating Week.

Join Safe Boaters of New Hampshire (www.sbonh.org) and get a Vessel Safety Check. It could be the most important time you spend on your boat this year.
BroadHopper (05-23-2011), ishoot308 (05-23-2011), MAXUM (05-23-2011), NHBUOY (05-23-2011), Ryan (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Why Here?

Curious as to why such a helpful post to ALL boaters regarding National Boating safety Awareness Week would be placed in the "issues" folder??...
Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
ApS

Smile There's a Right Way...and a Wrong Way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Why Here?
The O.P. starts off with an agenda.

Go to the Boating Forum to see how it's done with a minimum of agenda—by Maxum.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
NHBUOY

..MAXUM thanked OCD..btw...AND...it's a smart move putting it here...it gets WAY more "play" here...ANYTHING that is for the safety of the Lake, and will help those poor, hapless souls who are ignorant of the safety issues particular to boating on such a dangerous lake, well, I'm all for it...aren't YOU.?.....agenda.?..whose.?.not mine...I salute you forked tongue devils, tho......
Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Safe Boaters of New Hampshire

http://www.SBONH.ORG

For Immediate Release:

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire is urging boaters everywhere to remember a key component of getting your boat ready for the upcoming boating season. Get a FREE Vessel Safety Check!

This week is National Safe Boating week, the week set aside to highlight the safety equipment on your boat as you get it ready for the summer season.

Make the Vessel Safety Check offered by the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron part of your preparation!

The trained members of the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron will go over the safety equipment on your boat with you, pointing out things that you might not have thought of that could be problematic if an emergency arises.

The Vessel Safety Check takes about a half hour depending on the size of your boat, but it is a half hour that could save you from grief later in the season.

For your FREE Vessel Safety Check contact the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron through their website, http://www.LRSPS.org or email a Vessel Examiner at vsc@lrsps.org.

If your boat is not in the Lakes Region yet but you would still like a Vessel Safety Check you can locate a nearby Vessel Examiner with either the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary at http://www.safetyseal.net

National Safe Boating week has its roots here in New England . It was first established in June of 1952 when a Coast Guard Auxiliary flotilla in Amesbury , Massachusetts launched it as a way to offer free checks of safety equipment to boaters. In 1958, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a resolution declaring the first National Safe Boating Week.

Join Safe Boaters of New Hampshire (www.sbonh.org) and get a Vessel Safety Check. It could be the most important time you spend on your boat this year.
I have never seen a more self-serving post than this one.

Acres per Second is correct when he stated: "There's a Right Way...and a Wrong Way..."
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Roll Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I have never seen a more self-serving post than this one.

Acres per Second is correct when he stated: "There's a Right Way...and a Wrong Way..."
What is self serving?? You get a double roll-eye for that ridiculous post.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-23-2011), Grandpa Redneck (05-23-2011), Ryan (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
What is self serving?? You get a double roll-eye for that ridiculous post.
This post is written in a way that it looks like a news release that pertains to the SBONH, and the fact of the matter it has nothing to do with them.

“For Immediate Release: Contact: Scott Verdonck” ??????

Why would anyone want to contact “Scott Verdonck” about getting a “FREE Vessel Safety Check” by the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron?

I’m sorry but if that isn’t self-serving or wanting to get attention for something that they aren’t participating in then I don’t know what is!

Forum member Maxum did the right thing in his post by stating: “Vessel Safety Checks…For those interested here is the schedule posted on line from the Lakes Region Power Squadron.” Nothing self-serving there.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
VitaBene

Quote:
This post is written in a way that it looks like a news release that pertains to the SBONH, and the fact of the matter it has nothing to do with them.

Why would anyone want to contact “Scott Verdonck” about getting a “FREE Vessel Safety Check” by the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron?

I’m sorry but if that isn’t self-serving or wanting to get attention for something that they aren’t participating in then I don’t know what is!

Forum member Maxum did the right thing in his post by stating: “Vessel Safety Checks…For those interested here is the schedule posted on line from the Lakes Region Power Squadron.” Nothing self-serving there.

Scott also volunteers his time as a member of the LRSPS.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Way to go SBONH

Quote:

I don't see any SL supporters volunteering their time for safety?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
eillac@dow

Not sure why this has to turn into an argument/heated discussion (in my view)....OCD posted Safety Vessel check dates...what's so wrong with that. I kind of think it is a good thing. My opinion ....leave it be. Some people WILL benefit from it.

Enjoy the season...it has been a long time coming.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
NHBUOY

...prolly did it just ta pizz rusty off...it worked......funny BonOfaSitch...
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I don't see any SL supporters volunteering their time for safety?
I'll volunteer my time the same way that The SBONH did.

From the Home of Rusty

For Immediate Release:

Rusty of New Hampshire is urging boaters everywhere to remember a key component of getting your boat ready for the upcoming boating season. Get a FREE Vessel Safety Check!

Join Rusty of New Hampshire and get a Vessel Safety Check. It could be the most important time you spend on your boat this year.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
VitaBene

Quote:

From the Home of Rusty

For Immediate Release:

Rusty of New Hampshire is urging boaters everywhere to remember a key component of getting your boat ready for the upcoming boating season. Get a FREE Vessel Safety Check!

Join Rusty of New Hampshire and get a Vessel Safety Check. It could be the most important time you spend on your boat this year.
Thank you.

Now go post it somewhere that it can be seen by people who did not read it here already.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (05-23-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
jmen24

Quote:

From the Home of Rusty

For Immediate Release:

Really??? What an ass! Take some of your free time and go through the process to become certified to PERFORM Vessel Safety Checks. Then you can do something for your fellow boaters instead of spewing your rhetoric on this and the other forum. It must kill you to tone down your posts in this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Chimi (05-29-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Default Betting Man

I will make a bet that there are more Speed Limit supporters vessels that can't pass the Safety Check than Speed Limit proponents.

As I stated in a previous post, I met a loud mouth Supporter at george's diner in Meredith that only had a throw away vest on his boat. Nothing more.

I proudly display a recent VSC and a NHMP safety sticker on my vessel!
Chimi (05-29-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #16
ApS

Question No Experienced Inspectors? No, Thank You...

Quote:
I will make a bet that there are more Speed Limit supporters vessels that can't pass the Safety Check than Speed Limit proponents.
Somebody should have already disagreed with you, but supporters and proponents are the same people... ...but going-along with what you had intended :

What value is a Safety-Check, when the "inspectors" include so few who are expert in sailing craft and paddle-craft? What would they say about a 35-pound kayak?

Quote:
"You can't put that on the lake—I don't care what it's constructed of".
If you have those self-proclaimed experts, at which station would they be found?

I'll also make a bet that no inspectors include themselves among subscribers to the many periodicals available in sailing craft and paddle-craft:

1) construction,

2) design,

3) proper use,

4) equipment,

5) component stress,

6) and safety.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
VitaBene

Default Time OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Somebody should have already disagreed with you, but supporters and proponents are the same people... ...but going-along with what you had intended :

What value is a Safety-Check, when the "inspectors" include so few who are expert in sailing craft and paddle-craft? What would they say about a 35-pound kayak?

If you have those self-proclaimed experts, at which station would they be found?

I'll also make a bet that no inspectors include themselves among subscribers to the many periodicals available in sailing craft and paddle-craft:

1) construction,

2) design,

3) proper use,

4) equipment,

5) component stress,

6) and safety.
Why are you so negative? The USPS and LRSPS are great organizations full of volunteers who spend countless hours trying to make boating safer. Because you don't like some member(s) you take potshots? That is like saying that, because someone is a Democrat, you can't like them.

I bet you are wrong- what is the wager?

The LRSPS instructors and Vessel Examiners are well versed in sailboat and paddle craft safety requirements (SUBS in USPS language for sport utility boats). Hours of the VE class are spent teaching potential examiners what is required and, in this case, what is not required of a SUB.

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc.html
A sailboat's lighting and safety requirements are rarely different than a powerboats, except for position of lighting. Paddle craft are generally only looked at from a safety equipment perspective.

Each member of the Power Squadron receives a monthly magazine which keeps us well informed, but most of us also study other resources, such as Chapmans.

Let go of your anger, your act is getting tired here and abroad.

Again, about that wager...

By the way, I asked you on another forum to join and assist the LRSPS with their mission. You pooh-poohed me and declined. Volunteer organizations are nothing without their volunteers. So, I ask again, will you join us and pass on your wisdom and knowledge?

Last edited by VitaBene; 05-31-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added the by the way
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-01-2011), chipj29 (06-01-2011), ishoot308 (06-01-2011), NHBUOY (06-01-2011), Ryan (06-01-2011), Skip (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #18
Skip

Thumbs up By the way, thank you ViteBene!

Thanks for reminding us of the great things the volunteers at LRPS/USPS do for us boaters.

But more importantly thank you for the time that you not only devote to this particular cause, but also to all the work you do in the "other" season supporting the great sport of snowmobiling!

I only wish there were more folks like you that could find the gumption to push themselves away from the keyboard and go out in the community and make the positive contributions that make the Lakes Region the beautiful place that it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (06-08-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Quote:

Thanks for correcting me. At least you know what I am talking about.

I guess having a certificate in Wild Water kayaking does not make me qualified to kayak lake Winnipesaukee. If that what your saying, I don't see your drift. The Maine Guides up at the Forks would love to kick butts if you think they are not qualified to teach canoeing and kayaking.

Get your vessel check and have a great summer everyone!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
ApS

Question So, Why NOT Safety-Inspect The Driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Why are you so negative? The USPS and LRSPS are great organizations full of volunteers who spend countless hours trying to make boating safer. Because you don't like some member(s) you take potshots? That is like saying that, because someone is a Democrat, you can't like them.

I bet you are wrong- what is the wager?

The LRSPS instructors and Vessel Examiners are well versed in sailboat and paddle craft safety requirements (SUBS in USPS language for sport utility boats). Hours of the VE class are spent teaching potential examiners what is required and, in this case, what is not required of a SUB.

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc.html
A sailboat's lighting and safety requirements are rarely different than a powerboats, except for position of lighting. Paddle craft are generally only looked at from a safety equipment perspective.

Each member of the Power Squadron receives a monthly magazine which keeps us well informed, but most of us also study other resources, such as Chapmans.

Let go of your anger, your act is getting tired here and abroad.

Again, about that wager...

By the way, I asked you on another forum to join and assist the LRSPS with their mission. You pooh-poohed me and declined. Volunteer organizations are nothing without their volunteers. So, I ask again, will you join us and pass on your wisdom and knowledge?
It's not about negativity, wisdom, knowledge, or anger, it's about irony and cynicism regarding what is being called "Safety".

Two boats who would have passed your "safety inspection"—with flying colors—did create the biggest headlines on Lake Winnipesaukee—in three decades!

So I find my cynical-self—ironically—agreeing with those who have asserted in the past, that:

Quote:
"It's not the boat, it's the driver!"
Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Default Strongly suggest

Quote:
It's not about negativity, wisdom, knowledge, or anger, it's about irony and cynicism regarding what is being called "Safety".

Two boats who would have passed your "safety inspection"—with flying colors—did create the biggest headlines on Lake Winnipesaukee—in three decades!

So I find my cynical-self—ironically—agreeing with those who have asserted in the past, that:
We do away with temporary certificates and certify paddlers that they are capable of paddling their crafts safely!

Oh The Horror!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
chipj29

Quote:

A vessel safety check is not going to prevent an accident from happening. Everyone here with an IQ over 10 knows that. The vessel safety check is designed to help the passengers of a boat in the event of an accident.

It doesn't always take a bad driver to get a boat and its passengers into trouble that might require the use of the necessary safety equipment that a vessel safety check would help with. There have been many many accidents on every body of water in the country (Yes, even on Lake Winni) where not having the necessary safety equipment put the passengers of the boat in great danger. It happens all the time.

APS, what is the harm in getting your vessel checked for safety?
APS, why are you so against an organization whose first name is "SAFE" promote safe behavior on NH waterways?
APS, why can't you just say that yes, it would be a good idea for EVERYONE to get their vessel checked for safety, regardless of type of watercraft?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #23
ApS

Smile Feeling Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Hopper View Post
We do away with temporary certificates and certify paddlers that they are capable of paddling their crafts safely!
1) Certification has little to do with common sense, and may build over-confidence on the water. We've seen the disappointment with mandatory licensure, where nobody fails the test.

2) There are very few boats with the sign, "Rental Boat". Am I the only person here who has ever rented a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
APS, what is the harm in getting your vessel checked for safety?
There is none and it makes everyone involved "feel good". It's nice that you have the time to schmooze —and maybe—impress lesser boaters than yourselves.

Quote:
APS, why are you so against an organization whose first name is "SAFE" promote safe behavior on NH waterways?
1) Because you could teach each boater one knot: especially one extremely valuable knot that could keep their boats secure in towing situations, as well as preventing a boat from drifting away into the night—or having their boats re-tied at public docks during the day.

I haven't seen that seamanship-knowledge displayed here by SBONH.anywhere.

2) I haven't seen SBONH "promote" anything but themselves—much less...behavior of others.

Quote:
APS, why can't you just say that yes, it would be a good idea for EVERYONE to get their vessel checked for safety, regardless of type of watercraft?
Inspections depend on the competency of the inspector. Is being a member of SBONH sufficient training to know what you are doing?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
BroadHopper

Quote:
Inspections depend on the competency of the inspector. Is being a member of SBONH sufficient training to know what you are doing?
Being APS sufficient training to know what you are doing?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #25
chipj29

Quote:
[B]
1) Because you could teach each boater one knot: especially one extremely valuable knot that could keep their boats secure in towing situations, as well as preventing a boat from drifting away into the night—or having their boats re-tied at public docks during the day.

I haven't seen that seamanship-knowledge displayed here by SBONH.anywhere.
So let me get this straight.
You are stating that knowledge of how to tie one knot, one "extremely valuable knot" is more important than a vessel safety check.

OK. if what I am saying is accurate, it is my opinion that you have completely lost your mind.

Last edited by chipj29; 06-07-2011 at 01:37 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chipj29 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-07-2011), NHBUOY (06-07-2011), Ryan (06-07-2011), Skip (06-07-2011), VitaBene (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...aps comes out of the hole, runs around the tree, then pops back into the hole...kinda like a kwazy wabbit...and a bowline......aps, resident hemp junky......and minister of random obfuscation......lol..
Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #27
ApS

Question If Ever There Were "Feel-Good Intentions"...

Quote:
Being APS sufficient training to know what you are doing?
I know my way around boats, but I wouldn't attempt a boat survey. OTOH, I can see when a fire extinguisher registers ¾-full.

Quote:
So let me get this straight.
You are stating that knowledge of how to tie one knot, one "extremely valuable knot" is more important than a vessel safety check. OK. if what I am saying is accurate, it is my opinion that you have completely lost your mind.
NHBUOY has just answered correctly: now I have greater confidence in NHBUOY than anyone else "doing 'inspections'".

"Inspections" are valued so greatly, yet the only visible and remaining "Safety Club" insists on kayakers PFDs all the time, but 20 passengers were cast into Winnipesaukee waters in recent seasons—from powerboats. How can "inspections" equate to adequate seamanship—and who is going to provide that—a "Safety Club" perhaps?