Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
OCDACTIVE

Default SBONH stands behind change of age requirements for boating certificate

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire
“To promote safety through education and legislation that works”
http://www.SBONH.ORG

Safe Boaters of NH backs a change to the mandatory boating certificate law.

Representative Chris Christensen and the Marine Patrol seek to close a loophole.

For Immediate Release:

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire applauds the efforts of the New Hampshire Marine Patrol and Rep. Chris Christensen as they seek to make NH waterways even safer.

A loophole in the current mandatory boating certificate law grants the right of very young children to operate motorized vessels without a safe boating certificate, while the child’s parent can not operate that same boat without a certificate.

As Rep. Christensen says “Under current law a 2 year old can operate a boat independently if it is less than 25 horse power.” Safe Boaters of New Hampshire feels this is an obvious oversight in the law that needs to be addressed.

Rep. Christensen is seeking to close this loophole at the request of the NH Marine Patrol by ensuring that no one under 12 years old can operate any motorized vessel without a certified supervising adult on board. The bill also allows children 12 to 15 to obtain a Safe Boating Certificate in order to operate a boat limited to 25 horsepower or less.

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire wholeheartedly endorses this bill.
BroadHopper (11-22-2010), CTYankee (11-27-2010), Dave R (11-23-2010), DEJ (11-23-2010), hazelnut (11-23-2010), Hezman (11-23-2010), MAXUM (12-01-2010), Ryan (11-26-2010), VtSteve (11-22-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
ApS

Thumbs down 2-year-olds At The Helm...???

SBONH also wholeheartedly endorses this bill.

(Those of us at the new organization, Scared Boaters Of New Hampshire ©)

Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
VtSteve

Better reading comprehension will make you feel safer APS

Quote:
As Rep. Christensen says “Under current law a 2 year old can operate a boat independently if it is less than 25 horse power.” Safe Boaters of New Hampshire feels this is an obvious oversight in the law that needs to be addressed.

Rep. Christensen is seeking to close this loophole at the request of the NH Marine Patrol by ensuring that no one under 12 years old can operate any motorized vessel without a certified supervising adult on board. The bill also allows children 12 to 15 to obtain a Safe Boating Certificate in order to operate a boat limited to 25 horsepower or less.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
A loophole in the current mandatory boating certificate law grants the right of very young children to operate motorized vessels without a safe boating certificate, while the child’s parent can not operate that same boat without a certificate.

Where in “the current mandatory boating certificate law” does it say “the child’s parent can not operate that same boat without a certificate”?

The current law states: “A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less does not require the operator to have a Safe Boater Education Certificate.”

Therefore that allows everyone regardless of age (that means parents of a two year old) to operate “A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less” without a safe boating certificate.

What am I missing here???
Old 11-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
VtSteve

Let's see if I find this loophole:

Quote:
Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Who May Operate a Vessel

A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less does not require the operator to have a Safe Boater Education Certificate.

A “ski craft” (motorized vessel less than 13 feet long that is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person) may be operated only by persons who are 16 years old or older and who have a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate.

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.
A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate.
A Safe Boater Education Certificate may be obtained by persons 16 years of age or older only and must be carried on board.
So, let's say my 8 year-old wants to take out a boat that has a 20 HP outboard on it. It's not a ski-craft by definition. So there is nothing legally stopping him from doing that, right?

I operated a 12' 5HP boat when I was around 9 or 10 years old. Perhaps that "was" the intention of the law?

I don't have the actual law in front of me. But it would appear that Anyone could operate the boat I used as an example regardless of age? It seems that everyone from newborn babies on up can operate anything but a Ski Craft with less than 26 hp.

An unintended loophole I guess.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Seaplane Pilot

Here's a different way of looking at the "loophole":

1) Boat has power over 25hp

2) Adult captain (with boater certificate) on board

3) Adult friend of captain, along with his 2 year old son, also on board.

4) The way the rules are currently written: 2 year old can legally take the helm, adult can not take the helm since he has no boater certificate.

I think this loophole needs to be changed.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
VtSteve

Good point! How many loopholes can be in one silly little law? Just think, Lawyers worked on these

Thanks for the additional loophole, read it four times and still didn't get it.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Here's a different way of looking at the "loophole":

1) Boat has power over 25hp

2) Adult captain (with boater certificate) on board

3) Adult friend of captain, along with his 2 year old son, also on board.

4) The way the rules are currently written: 2 year old can legally take the helm, adult can not take the helm since he has no boater certificate.

I think this loophole needs to be changed.
Thank you Seaplane Pilot....now I get it.

I guess I thought that they were saying a 2 year old could operate a motorized vessel alone and a parent couldn't.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
VtSteve

Nope, NH is the Live Free or die state. So both 2 year-olds and adults can both operate 25 hp and under boats with no certificate

Frankly, I've see kids (not 2 years old), that are much more proficient than a great deal of adults. Start them off in a dinghy and let them learn quick.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Bear Islander

Are 11 year olds causing accidents or violating the boating regulations at a higher rate than older people? If they are I am unaware of it. If they are not then why are 11 year olds having their privilege to operate power boats taken away?

Why is the example given that or a 2 year old operating a 25HP boat? Why not have the example given be an 11 year old.

What about an 11 year old operating a trolling motor under 1 HP. That will now be illegal.

Obviously everyone that can legally operate a power boat should be allowed to take a safe boater course. That has been an idiotic loophole is the law. But why take boating privileges away from 10 and 11 year olds? Apples and oranges!

Talk about nanny state, this sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-26-2010), fatlazyless (11-30-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are 11 year olds causing accidents or violating the boating regulations at a higher rate than older people? If they are I am unaware of it. If they are not then why are 11 year olds having their privilege to operate power boats taken away?

Why is the example given that or a 2 year old operating a 25HP boat? Why not have the example given be an 11 year old.

What about an 11 year old operating a trolling motor under 1 HP. That will now be illegal.

Obviously everyone that can legally operate a power boat should be allowed to take a safe boater course. That has been an idiotic loophole is the law. But why take boating privileges away from 10 and 11 year olds? Apples and oranges!

Talk about nanny state, this sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
No to be argumentative for the sake of it BI. But the very same has been said many, many times about the original SL bill passed. Many, many accidents were caused by boats doing less than 30 mph, including the two most talked-about accidents on the lake. People are well aware of the circumstance involved in those cases, but they were not addressed properly.

The current law's loophole is a bit silly. How many adults that don't have boating certificates caused accidents in boats having 25 hp or less? Me thinks you're looking for silliness here, and not acknowledging how silly the current law is written. There are many, many examples you could have brought up, why throw that one out?

Just sayin.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
...... Frankly, I've see kids (not 2 years old), that are much more proficient than a great deal of adults. Start them off in a dinghy and let them learn quick.
I have to agree whth you on that one. Here is one experience that surprised me. Many years ago I worked on marine radios and worked on boats in every marina in RI. At one boatyard I was surprised to see the young son (aprox 11 years old) of the owner of the marina get into a yard skiff and start the engine (about a 25 hp outboard). My first thought was "what is that kid doing in that boat". Well, I watched him motor out to a mooring, pick up a boat from the mooring and deposit it at the gas dock with more skill that I ever saw from a lot of "adults". A little later I was talking to his dad, the marina owner, and he said his son has handled boats since he was 8 years old. His son had spent many many hours under the watchfull eye of his father learning how to handle boats before being allowed to handle one on his own. Dad did say son was limited to a 16 foot skiff and outboard .... for now.

Granted, this is a not common occurrence but is something to consider.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
ApS

Question We Need More Lawyers...

Quote:
Are 11 year olds causing accidents or violating the boating regulations at a higher rate than older people?...Talk about nanny state, this sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
Maybe you didn't see the NHMP message—that "this loophole needed closing."

(I didn't see it either, but apparently somebody did).

Quote:
Many, many accidents were caused by boats doing less than 30 mph, including the two most talked-about accidents on the lake...The current law's loophole is a bit silly.
So were the loopholes that let those two "walk" from the most-serious charges brought against them.

(Those two especially.)

But the NHMP still announced our safest season among many seasons, and it was largely thanks to the (SL) effort to keep "the usual suspects" away from Lake Winnipesaukee's peaceful boaters.

Somehow—and in any way—that excellent record needs changing???

Will the skillful manipulations of FAX-machines overturn Lake Winnipesaukee's next safest season?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
RANGER CANOE CO

Default Well.........

My 8yr old took the on-line test and scored a 95%, before she got the "keys" 3 yr ago.......... Its "all" about the Skipper, IMHO But, I think 2 yrs is kinda young, unless they can change there own Diaper . I think everybody "Scans" now FYI.

Last edited by RANGER CANOE CO; 11-29-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Bear Islander

The anti-speed-limit people have been complaining for years about their boating privileges being limited. So now they are supporting the effort to remove operator privileges from a HUGE portion of the public?

They have argued that there is insufficient data to support a speed limit. Is there ANY data to support taking away these operator privileges? If there is any negative data I would love to see it, and might re-evaluate my position.

It is already illegal to allow a 2 year old to operate a power boat solo. It's called child endangerment.

My son will be 12 next summer so this legislation will not effect him. But he has been operating our 15 HP boat since he was 8 and operating it alone since he was 10.

8 or 10 might be a reasonable limit but not 12! Or set a 5 HP limit from 8 to 12. Something like that may make sense but not this legislation.

When you live on an island boats are your ONLY form of travel. This legislation would be unfairly restrictive to island children.

Image below of soon may be illegal operation of battery powered boat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bear Islander; 11-27-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: per request changed "leading the effort" to "supporting the effort"
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

But the NHMP still announced our safest season among many seasons, and it was largely thanks to the (SL) effort to keep "the usual suspects" away from Lake Winnipesaukee's peaceful boaters.

Somehow—and in any way—that excellent record needs changing???
Yet another example from a member of the pro SL rat pack going off the deep end again, ranting about how safe the lake was this summer solely due to the SL, but once again showing NO PROOF of their claims. They ignore the fact that this country is in a historic recession, that tourism averywhere is at levels not seen in decades, and that the NHMP Boater Certificate program has gained traction every year since inception. They ignore events like the Donzi Poker run, NASWA's Peter Makris Poker Run, and the Lakeport Landing Poker Run.

Facts never were your strong point anyway, I guess why should you start now.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
The Following User Says Thank You to Yankee For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (11-27-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
The anti-speed-limit people have been complaining for years about their boating privileges being limited. So now they are supporting the effort to remove operator privileges from a HUGE portion of the public?

They have argued that there is insufficient data to support a speed limit. Is there ANY data to support taking away these operator privileges? If there is any negative data I would love to see it, and might re-evaluate my position.

It is already illegal to allow a 2 year old to operate a power boat solo. It's called child endangerment.

My son will be 12 next summer so this legislation will not effect him. But he has been operating our 15 HP boat since he was 8 and operating it alone since he was 10.

8 or 10 might be a reasonable limit but not 12! Or set a 5 HP limit from 8 to 12. Something like that may make sense but not this legislation.

When you live on an island boats are your ONLY form of travel. This legislation would be unfairly restrictive to island children.

Same approach WINFABS took - tarket everyone, just because of a few morons. (Said morons being in all types of boats, not just performance boats.) You are correct...the shotgun approach is no way to address problems.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
VtSteve

Quote:

So BI, now you want safety data to prove something?

Look, Skip gave you credit for being an adult. Now act like one, and call the MP or call Rep. Chris Christensen and tell them there's something else they should consider.

It was a silly loophole that hadn't been brought up before. Better yet, suggest it here or "over there", instead of whining.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Bear Islander

Quote:
So BI, now you want safety data to prove something?

Look, Skip gave you credit for being an adult. Now act like one, and call the MP or call Rep. Chris Christensen and tell them there's something else they should consider.

It was a silly loophole that hadn't been brought up before. Better yet, suggest it here or "over there", instead of whining.
I have already contacted the Marine Patrol requesting data on under 12 year old operators. I have also received and sent several PMs, emails and phone calls on the subject. I guess I kind of stirred up a hornets nest.

There was plenty of data and testimony to support a speed limit. We can argue forever about whether or not it was sufficient. So far I am unaware of ANY data that supports setting an operator minimum at 12 years old. If the Marine Patrol has data that makes a case for this legislation, then that is a different story.

All opinions to the contrary, I like to keep an open mind.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
ApS

Cool No "Deep End" to Fall From...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Yet another example from a member of the pro SL rat pack going off the deep end again, ranting about how safe the lake was this summer solely due to the SL, but once again showing NO PROOF of their claims. They ignore the fact that this country is in a historic recession, that tourism averywhere is at levels not seen in decades, and that the NHMP Boater Certificate program has gained traction every year since inception. They ignore events like the Donzi Poker run, NASWA's Peter Makris Poker Run, and the Lakeport Landing Poker Run.

Facts never were your strong point anyway, I guess why should you start now.
1) Speaking of facts, would you kindly quote a source that shows how "The Great Recession" affected Winnipesaukee's 2010 microscopic collision statistics?

(I quoted Director Barrett of the NHMP, who should know "Winnipesaukee's Ultimate Safe Season" when he sees it.)

2) From the perspective of my front porch, I saw only slackening of NHMP presence. How did they manage to write 20 speeding tickets?

Moreover, my neighboring McMansions were rented completely through July and August and were even rented-out—in May and June—on weekends!

3) The Boater Certificate program was grievously flawed, but got "tweaked" recently at great expense, indicating just how superficial that program (and NJ's—and CT's) originally was.

4) Thank you, SBONH-NHRBA, for not killing anyone during the Poker Run.

How about a SBONH-NHRBA "Smoke on The Waters Memorial Poker Run" to memorialize the five killed in that Poker Run!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
VtSteve

Quote:
I have already contacted the Marine Patrol requesting data on under 12 year old operators. I have also received and sent several PMs, emails and phone calls on the subject. I guess I kind of stirred up a hornets nest.

There was plenty of data and testimony to support a speed limit. We can argue forever about whether or not it was sufficient. So far I am unaware of ANY data that supports setting an operator minimum at 12 years old. If the Marine Patrol has data that makes a case for this legislation, then that is a different story.

All opinions to the contrary, I like to keep an open mind.
I hadn't thought of the age thing until you brought it up BI, I was just focused on the loophole which was pretty silly. I'll keep an open mind on the age and HP thing, I have no real opinion yet. I think it was simply overlooked.

I think the Marine Patrol should have listened to more people, and also, given their opinions more frequently. I do, however, understand why the MP doesn't want to get too public in their opinions, because everything's so political nowadays.

Good to hear from you again. Really, it is.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
APS, I need your help here, while I am sure some comments related to a safe season have been and will be made. I am curious as to where the NHMP gave all the credit to the SL... Further more I can't believe the NHMP gave the credit solely to the Speed limit. Please let us know where you are pulling this information from. Allow people to fully read what you have read so that they can make a decision based solely on the actually press release, and not on someone interpretation of the press release.
Yankee (11-29-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #23
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
APS, I need your help here, while I am sure some comments related to a safe season have been and will be made. I am curious as to where the NHMP gave all the credit to the SL... Further more I can't believe the NHMP gave the credit solely to the Speed limit. Please let us know where you are pulling this information from. Allow people to fully read what you have read so that they can make a decision based solely on the actually press release, and not on someone interpretation of the press release.
Allow me to tell you from where APS is "pulling this information". (also happens to be the symbol for a certain political party. What a coincidence!)
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #24
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
ApS might have Sleep Deprivation....look at the time he usually posts his "interpretations".
Maybe he is having a dream about a certain subject and he thinks it is the real thing. I've done that before but I try not to go online and post it on forums.

I will say he is entertaining at times.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
jrc

I have to agree with Bear Islander on this one, there is no real reason for this change, I've seen plenty of 10 year old pilot small outboards safely. We already have laws that cover the extreme cases and there is no evidence of need.

As to APS, maybe his posts are in the middle of the day where he posts. He had a name with a middle east flavor before, maybe he posts from there. 4:30AM in NH is 11:30AM in Cairo or Jerusalem.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #26
ApS

Cool Nope...Can't be the Speeding Tickets Making Things Safer...

Quote:
If SBONH-NHRBA persists in "standing behind" this new law, perhaps they will issue a press-release of an "Emergency Clause" for the new regulation. You know, "For Safety".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
As to APS, maybe his posts are in the middle of the day where he posts. He had a name with a middle east flavor before, maybe he posts from there. 4:30AM in NH is 11:30AM in Cairo or Jerusalem.

1) That name, at that time, was emphatically SW Asian: It has now spread to 40+ locations—in Virginia. "Opening awareness" was the purpose in selecting that name.

2) With the present user-name, I'd hoped that the Acres-per-Second expression could introduce the complex equation that fast boats "use up" more of Lake Winnipesaukee's surface for themselves than peaceful boaters.

(Especially when side by side by side by side—when "not racing". ).

3) However, after very careful analysis, Pineneedles has uncovered that Yosemite Sam and ApS are ("is") the same person:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
Is Yosemite Sam and Acres Per Second the same person? I find it strange that Y.S. has thanked APS several times and it doesn't fit his profile.
So I must set my alarm for the middle of the morning to unhinge that discovery upon every occasion I post as Yosemite Sam.

Quote:
Bear Islander and I frequently get this same "putting words in my mouth" treatment.

The Director did not express a SL opinion in his 2010 statement—which addressed "Winnipesaukee's Safest Season in Many Years". (My quote).

However, in reluctant agreement, VitaBene stated of the 2009 season, "the lake was saner". The price of gasoline may be the reason the 2008 season appeared unusually quiet, but much less-so, the two seasons of the official speed limits—2009/2010.

Will SBONH-NHRBA—perhaps—credit the NHMP's issuance of 20+ speeding tickets?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
AllAbourdon

So what do I tell my 10 year old nephew when he wants to take out the rowboat with the 3hp Johnson OB?

And mind you, this particular boat is on Highland Lake in Andover, NH which is about 210 acres and has 2 markers on the whole lake.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default C'mon APS- Parsi strikes again!!

Quote:

However, in reluctant agreement, VitaBene stated of the 2009 season, "the lake was saner". The price of gasoline may be the reason the 2008 season appeared unusually quiet, but much less-so, the two seasons of the official speed limits—2009/2010.
In typical APS fashion and using your famous Parsi you jump to conclusions. I would not call my statement "reluctant". A year and a few months later, I have to say I still agree with myself! Here is my post from 8/2009 in its entirety:

"Elchase, there is no question that the lake is saner this year. Unfortunately, a great many, myself included, believe that the real reason is the poor economy. We have all seen many boats that have never even been uncovered for the season- the owners just decided to leave them winterized. I think when the economy improves, we will see a return of most of the craziness.

I do disagree with your point about last summer- gas on the lake was pushing or exceeded $5/gallon, virtually everyone became more thrifty and boated less- I believe there was even a poll regarding it.

Many of us who are percieved as anti-speed limit don't even own or want to own boats that can break it (I almost got lapped by a pontoon boat a few weeks ago!). Most of us own and use canoes and sailboats (Lazer in our case). When not sailing, my 14 year old son and his 11 year old sister can often be found in his 12 foot skiff with an 8 horse Merc patrolling the Greens Basin end of the lake. I have a vested interest in keeping the lake as safe as possible.

The real us versus them needs to become the safe boater versus the bonehead boater, not slow versus fast. The answer is to rid the lake of bad boaters. There is no way that many boaters on the lake studied for and passed their boating certificate course. Even though my son is not old enough to take his safety course, I had him study and pass the practice test prior to allowing him to boat alone.

I was sincere in my comment about sharing the lake- I want to do so with good boaters, slow and fast. I want to eradicate bad boaters, slow and fast.

I apologize if I misread your original post and hope you enjoy the fabulous weather we are supposed to have today."
Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

To all the nay sayers.... REALLY!?! You can't be serious....

I'm curious as to why there is such an outcry over this. The whole point of the boater education course is to educate people of ALL ages. I fail to understand why being educated is a bad thing? I'm trying to distill what possible harmful affects the boater education class may have and at the moment I see no down side at all. Matter of fact I see a whole lot of benefit from this as most kids probably don't fully comprehend the responsibilty of operating a boat no matter the size or HP. They may not also know the basic rules of the road or understand what manditory equipment they should have on board when out on the water.

No I see this as a few people getting thier panties in a bunch all because SBONH happens to endorse the idea and has nothing to do with the public benefit that could result.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #30
AllAbourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I think that this makes sense - allows children 12 to 15 to obtain a Safe Boating Certificate in order to operate a boat limited to 25 horsepower or less.

But I can't see how this would work. - no one under 12 years old can operate any motorized vessel without a certified supervising adult on board

As a kid I was always running around the lake in a rowboat with a small motor on it. I knew I had to have the proper safety gear on board, whoever registers the vessel and gives permission for a kid to use the boat should be responsible for this part of the education in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #31
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
To all the nay sayers.... REALLY!?! You can't be serious....

I'm curious as to why there is such an outcry over this. The whole point of the boater education course is to educate people of ALL ages. I fail to understand why being educated is a bad thing? I'm trying to distill what possible harmful affects the boater education class may have and at the moment I see no down side at all. Matter of fact I see a whole lot of benefit from this as most kids probably don't fully comprehend the responsibilty of operating a boat no matter the size or HP. They may not also know the basic rules of the road or understand what manditory equipment they should have on board when out on the water.

No I see this as a few people getting thier panties in a bunch all because SBONH happens to endorse the idea and has nothing to do with the public benefit that could result.
I don't think you understanding what is going on. Nobody is arguing against the boater education part of this bill. I think that everybody should be able to take the course and receive a certificate.

This legislation would also take the privilege of operating a boat away from everyone under the age of 12.

And this not only applies to Winni but all over New Hampshire.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #32
hazelnut

I'm so torn on this one. I do love the idea of kids that turn 12 having to take the boating certificate test though. I think it would give the kids a sense of accomplishment and it would start them off understanding that boating is something to be taken seriously. As a father of twin 7 year old boys I would look forward to the day when they would take and pass that test to be able to graduate to a larger hp boat (25HP).

To allow a 8 year old to captain a boat with a 25hp in some instances would be downright crazy!

Why couldn't a different classification be created? Like under 10hp could be completely removed from this discussion. Meaning 10.5HP-25HP you need to be certified. Under 10HP could be unregulated. I only say this because I had a 14 foot aluminum skiff with a 25hp that I was nervous to let some adults drive, never mind a 10 year old. I never in a million years would have let an uneducated child or adult pilot that boat. It was so fast for its relative size.

So why not an under 10hp exemption written into the language?

FYI - I am throwing out random HP numbers. My thought would be anything that couldn't get on plane could be unregulated. Not sure how the language of the bill would look but I'm just bringing up food for thought.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #33
AllAbourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I'm so torn on this one. I do love the idea of kids that turn 12 having to take the boating certificate test though. I think it would give the kids a sense of accomplishment and it would start them off understanding that boating is something to be taken seriously. As a father of twin 7 year old boys I would look forward to the day when they would take and pass that test to be able to graduate to a larger hp boat (25HP).

To allow a 8 year old to captain a boat with a 25hp in some instances would be downright crazy!

Why couldn't a different classification be created? Like under 10hp could be completely removed from this discussion. Meaning 10.5-25HP you need to be certified. Under 10 could be unregulated. I only say this because I had a 14 foot aluminum skiff with a 25hp that I was nervous to let some adults drive, never mind a 10 year old. I never in a million years would have let an uneducated child or adult pilot that boat. It was so fast for its relative size.

So why not an under 10hp exemption written into the language?
This is more accurate to what I would expect to see written in this law. At the same time, i wouldnt want an 8 year old kid to try taking his rowboat out into the broads on a busy saturday. Growing up on a very small lake and moving to a lake like Winni is night and day.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #34
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbourdon View Post
i wouldnt want an 8 year old kid to try taking his rowboat out into the broads on a busy saturday.
Isn't that a parents responsibility to ensure that does not happen??...

I'm not so sure I like the idea of dumping the parents responsibilty on the State of NH...

Dan
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #35
AllAbourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Isn't that a parents responsibility to ensure that does not happen??...

I'm not so sure I like the idea of dumping the parents responsibilty on the State of NH...

Dan
I agree with you completely. Also, if the kids got a 5hp motor or is rowing it by hand does it make much of a difference? Either one can be unsafe without the right education.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
MAXUM

Quote:
This legislation would also take the privilege of operating a boat away from everyone under the age of 12.

And this not only applies to Winni but all over New Hampshire.
Without a certified adult onboard, and only for motorized vessels. Look at the overall maturity level of say the average 12< year old today. Better yet let me put it to you this way, as a parent myself there is no way I would ever let my kid go out on the lake unsupervised or without an expereinced boater period. Why you may ask, because I feel it's my responsibility to ensure not only my kid's well being, but the general public as well no matter how much I think my kid may know what they are doing. What scares me is the parent that thinks this is OK to do, bringing into question thier own lack of prudent judgement which inherently will be reflected in thier children's lackthereof. Is a law necessary to "fix" this, well that I can't answer. If it is in fact a problem that needs to be addressed legislativly fine, but only as a last resort. I'm simply stating that I don't find this idea offensive at face value. What I do find offensive is that people are to stupid to police themselves so laws like this end up being proposed and sometimes adopted or being opposed to an idea not on the merits, but who's idea it is.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #37
AllAbourdon

It is important to note that as BI mentioned, this is all over NH, not just on Winnipesaukee.

There are different safety risks depending on the body of water. That should be taken into consideration when a law like this goes into effect.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #38
jrc

Sorry APS, someone mentioned that you posted at odd hours, I post at odd hours when I travel, I remembered your affection for middle east training centers, so I put a guess together. I guess I was wrong?

In short, more training is always good, all boaters should be trained at somepoint. Restricting lake access to a class of people just because some of them are not mature enough to use it safety is a bad idea. Obviously parent need to be resposible for the children and be responsible if they make a mistake.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #39
VtSteve

It seems to be pretty standard everywhere, including those wonderful states with speed limits.

Massachusetts:
Who May Operate a Motorboat: The restrictions below apply to boats propelled by any type of motor, whether or not the motor is the principal source of propulsion.

Persons under 12 years of age may operate a motorboat on Massachusetts waters only if accompanied on board and directly supervised by a competent person 18 years of age or older.
Persons 12 through 15 years of age may operate a motorboat on Massachusetts waters only if they:
Have passed an approved boating education course or …
Are accompanied on board and directly supervised by a competent person 18 years of age or older.
Persons 16 years of age or older may operate a motorboat on Massachusetts waters without age restrictions.

Vermont

Age Restrictions:

Persons less than 16 years of age shall not operate a Personal Watercraft.

Persons less than 12 years of age are restricted to motorboats of 6 hp or less.

Anyone born after January 1, 1974 must successfully complete an approved boating safety course prior to operating any motorized vessel. This online Basic Boating Safety Course meets this requirement.

I personally prefer the 6 HP limit. My first little boat had a 5 hp outboard. It was still very powerful and fast for a boat
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Ryan (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #40
hazelnut

Quote:
Vermont

Age Restrictions:
Persons less than 12 years of age are restricted to motorboats of 6 hp or less.

This I like! I think the state should compromise on this point and allow an under 6hp rule to exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
AllAbourdon (12-02-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #41
Bear Islander

Hazelnut and VtSteve - At last we agree!

6 HP is ok by me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (12-01-2010), VtSteve (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #42
RANGER CANOE CO

Plus..... 1
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #43
VtSteve

First, since I haven't looked at outboards in many years, I think it's prudent to see what small outboards are sold now. I'd hate to pass a law that had a meaningless HP rating. Let's say under 10 hp for now.

The outboard guys can look it up.

Sounds like a deal
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #44
ApS

Question Little Kid + Aluminum Boat + Propeller = ???

Quote:
Hazelnut and VtSteve - At last we agree! 6 HP is ok by me.
With the right loading, 6-HP can send a boat to 26-MPH.

(But watch for a new SBONH Press Release anyway).
Old 12-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
MAXUM

I took a brief look at just about every manufacturer I could think of and all make several models in the 4-6 HP range, most are long shafts for use on the back of sailboats, the next jump is typically to 9.9 HP.

Honestly after reading the suggestion of capping this at 10HP it seems like a very reasonable compromise.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #46
VtSteve

Thanks for the lookup Maxum.

I'm sure, as Scott says, this may be a simple thing to change when they get it into that position. It's not the end of the world, amendments happen all the time. And, as Scott says, this was not an SBONH proposal, so the parties that did draft it are responsible for it.

This was one of the best, and most civil discussions of lake laws yet. It's nice to be around a group that has respect for one another isn't it?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #47
MAXUM

I agree, matter of fact a little disagreement fuels great debate. In discussing possible pending legislation like this having a few ideas thrown out on the table for everyone to weigh in on **in a responsible fashion** in theory should result in something that meets the stated objective without being to far over reaching. Trouble today is that there are to many who are not mature enough to leave the personal axe in the closet and be able to look at things objectively. For those that can't participate like that are well known and have lost any and all credibility.

All that said I hope that our newly elected leaders in Concord set thier priorities appropriately, our state faces some very serious problems least of them being amendments to current boating laws.