Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
mogulmamna

Default Dock question

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have a question about dock size and strength. I just purchased a 21' Cobalt (3850 lbs). We have an aluminum frame with wood planks dock that is 6'x30'. It's a seasonal crank up style dock. We are located in Moultonborough bay. While we plan to get a mooring, I am wondering if it will be secure at my dock for the time being. It could be several weeks before the mooring is in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
mogulmamna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
codeman671

If it is one of the watermark style crank ups that is more than sufficient. We are staying on six mile this week, with long exposure and have a bigger boat on a crank up dock with pipes instead of posts. No concerns.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
mogulmamna

Default Dock question

Thank you. Dock is actually 4' wide,not 6' but hopefully still strong enough.

mogulmamna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Do you know who built the Articulating Dock?

As stated by Codeman, a watermark dock would be more then strong enough, and so would one done by Center Harbor Dock and Pier. If you know who built it go to them directly. What I would suggest if the boat is going to sit at the dock for a while is to look into Mooring Whips, they help relieve stress on the dock and the boat. You may even find that with the whips you don't need to constantly put the boat out on the mooring....

I myself have a wooden dock with a 18' boat that weighs in at around 2800. With the whips, I leave the boat at the dock all the time. I am only considering a mooring in the next couple of years, because I could extend my season, do to water depth at my dock in the fall.

A neighbor has a 28' cruiser that he leaves on the dock with whips as well, and his boat is probably in the 7K-8K category....
Bayview Girl (06-26-2018)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Dave R

If you doubt the robustness of the dock, it is very easy and cheap to dramatically strengthen it with a pair of cables connected to the corner posts on the diagonal directly under the deck framing and tightened up with turn buckles. 1/4" is plenty strong enough. They can't be loose, but they don't need to be guitar string tight. That said, an extra set of diagonal cables between the deep end posts and some posts near the middle would probably be a good idea considering how skinny and long the dock is. Diagonal leg bracing under water is always a good idea too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Bayview Girl (06-26-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Dave M

Default Another thing to check

If it has galv pipes with foot bases instead of 4X6 post, that's a trait of Raise-A-Dock, another good dock company. I have one built by them. Another thing to check if the dock has cross pieces under the deck. It stiffens the dock. I have two of them since my dock is 33'X6'. I have a 20' boat tied directly to dock, nothing moves.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
DickR

My dock also is 6x30, aluminum frame crankup. The header bar was bolted to a huge pile of boulders at the shore end and the frame hung from it before ice-out a couple of years ago. The crew (Center Harbor Dock & Pier) delivered it by truck and trailer over the ice. They couldn't install the 4x6 legs because of the ice, so the frame was cranked up just a bit to await ice-out. In that position, I crawled out over the frame to the end, expecting some teetering. Boy, that frame barely moved at all. It's quite torsionally rigid.

I do have a pair of 8-ft whips for the boat, more for protection of the boat. I had the welder install a pair of mounting brackets for the whip bases, which bolt through the deck directly to the brackets. On summer weekends, when the boat wakes are unending, the boat pitches up and down vigorously, pulling on the whips, but the dock itself doesn't budge.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
Kayla (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
Bayview Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
My dock also is 6x30, aluminum frame crankup. The header bar was bolted to a huge pile of boulders at the shore end and the frame hung from it before ice-out a couple of years ago. The crew (Center Harbor Dock & Pier) delivered it by truck and trailer over the ice. They couldn't install the 4x6 legs because of the ice, so the frame was cranked up just a bit to await ice-out. In that position, I crawled out over the frame to the end, expecting some teetering. Boy, that frame barely moved at all. It's quite torsionally rigid.

I do have a pair of 8-ft whips for the boat, more for protection of the boat. I had the welder install a pair of mounting brackets for the whip bases, which bolt through the deck directly to the brackets. On summer weekends, when the boat wakes are unending, the boat pitches up and down vigorously, pulling on the whips, but the dock itself doesn't budge.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Bayview Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
Kayla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post

Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote