Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #101
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
But they had the right to be there, correct?
Yes, like I said in my post.....
Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #102
NH_boater

I have a right to tread water, alone in the middle of Wolfeboro bay on a busy 4th of July, does not make it smart to do so. I could easily end up dead, right or not.

Laws cannot prevent all stupid behavior or decisions. Legal activity may not be smart or safe activity. Personal decisions and accountability still come in to play.

I personally would not float around in a kayak at a fireworks show in the middle Wolfeboro Bay. I would think it was a good way to invite trouble. If someone else thought it was a good idea, well this is their decision. I guess they can except the results. Of course, they might attempt a law suit.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #103
HellRaZoR004

I think it was 3-kayaks in Wolfeboro during the private fireworks display. Thanks to the gentleman that announced on CH16 that they were there with very dim headlamps.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #104
ApS

Arrow Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I have a right to tread water, alone in the middle of Wolfeboro bay on a busy 4th of July, does not make it smart to do so. I could easily end up dead, right or not.

Laws cannot prevent all stupid behavior or decisions. Legal activity may not be smart or safe activity. Personal decisions and accountability still come in to play.

I personally would not float around in a kayak at a fireworks show in the middle Wolfeboro Bay. I would think it was a good way to invite trouble. If someone else thought it was a good idea, well this is their decision. I guess they can except the results. Of course, they might attempt a law suit.
Treading water alone in the middle of Wolfeboro Bay could be the result of accident, misadventure, collision, capsize, or ejection—especially on a 4th of July. "Legal" need not apply—because it could cost you in Civil Court.

Assume nothing—maintain a proper watch—night or day.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #105
tc_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Treading water alone in the middle of Wolfeboro Bay could be the result of accident, misadventure, collision, capsize, or ejection—especially on a 4th of July. "Legal" need not apply—because it could cost you in Civil Court.

Yeah, I suppose that is a good rule to live by - but back to the point it would really be very selfish for someone to make a conscience decision that very much increases the chance of putting someone else in such a potentially tragic and life-ruining scenario - even if they did not happen to care all that much for their own well being.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #106
NH_boater

Quote:

The point you may have missed is that it would not be smart (although legal) to do it intentionally. The captain who hits you may be at fault in civil or criminal court, but still.....

Of course, every captain needs to always keep an active lookout.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #107
ApS

Exclamation Legal—Not Smart—But There It Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
The point you may have missed is that it would not be smart (although legal) to do it intentionally. The captain who hits you may be at fault in civil or criminal court, but still.....Of course, every captain needs to always keep an active lookout.
Monday, just 300' from my dock, five new renters swam out about 600', and paddled around. (First picture).

About ten minutes later, four had headed to shore, leaving just "Mom". (Extreme right in second picture).

When "Mom" returned to shore, a lone Donzi came by and just stared down at the woman who'd been in his path just seconds earlier.
(Third picture).

Yes, swimmers are hard to see, even in calm waters—in broad daylight.

Attached Images

Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #108
SIKSUKR

I'm amazed at how stupid people are.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #109
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I have to agree. I always cringe when I see people swimming out in the middle. You just cannot see them.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #110
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Same thing happened to me Wednesday morning when I was coming in to the Glenadale docks to go to work. Two swimmers swimming from Belknap point to Varney point. Luckily I have good eyesight and spotted them in plenty of time to slow down, my wife who was with never saw them. They had black wetsuits on and blue caps. Very hard to see!

Dan
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #111
Rusty

I'm glad that I'm not a neighbor of Aps. Posting images (and video tapes) on local forums of your neighbors (or their renters) activities whether legal or illegal is somewhat disturbing.
Maybe your neighbor who rents their home should post a sign that says: "Warning, you may be video taped of your activities and they could be posted on the internet".
Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #112
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I'm amazed at how stupid people are.
Not me, not anymore.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #113
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Posting images (and video tapes) on local forums of your neighbors (or their renters) activities whether legal or illegal is somewhat disturbing
I agree and have removed pictures like this in the past when the people or boat were clearly identifiable. In this case the swimmers are just dots and no one can tell who they are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-23-2014), ITD (08-22-2014), Rusty (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #114
Dave R

I was surprised by a pair of swimmers more than 1/4 mile away from shore on a choppy and cloudy day a few years ago in Alton Bay. They were incredibly hard to see. Since then, I have learned to keep a sharp lookout dead ahead for stuff low in the water; I don't want to be the guy that runs over a swimmer, stupid or not. That habit paid of handsomely last week when I was dodging all kinds of flotsam on the Hudson River. That's a river that you could never safely navigate at speed, at night. Saw some really big stuff floating on it.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #115
Webbsatwinni

APS, what is the point of this post? That people swim in the lake, or that people own Donzi's and that make of boat is bad?

Quote:
Monday, just 300' from my dock, five new renters swam out about 600', and paddled around. (First picture).

About ten minutes later, four had headed to shore, leaving just "Mom". (Extreme right in second picture).

When "Mom" returned to shore, a lone Donzi came by and just stared down at the woman who'd been in his path just seconds earlier.
(Third picture).

Yes, swimmers are hard to see, even in calm waters—in broad daylight.

The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #116
ApS

Question Baseball Caps on Backwards...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
It may not make sense to be out in rough, busy waters in a canoe....but they still have the right of way. There are many canoeists on the lake, and kayakers too. Look at all the YMCA camps and groups that send out the campers in droves in all sorts of conditions. It is up to the power boat driver to keep a diligent look-out. The driver of the powerboat is totally the one at fault.
At the time Camp Wyanoke closed in 1975, they had perhaps two dozen canoes. The Camp had keen insight into boating—several directors of maintenance/waterfront/aquatics—even to being overprotective. Each canoe was regularly painted dark green.

What has happened since 1975 to make canoes hard to see?

Last edited by ApS; 08-24-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: correction-needed to double the number of canoes
Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #117
Rusty

Quote:
What has happened since 1975 to make canoes hard to see?
In your case I would say old age.
brk-lnt (08-25-2014), ITD (08-25-2014), Ryan (08-27-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #118
Orion

Default Too funny

Quote:
In your case I would say old age.
Best comeback I've seen in a while.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #119
ApS

Question "Can't See Kayaks"? Vision Test Next?

Sorry, I don't know (member) Rusty. I'll just have to forgive his inexperience in boating matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Sorry for quoting prior law, so towing 6 kids with only two observers is now legal?

So that must make it safe? Sorry but not with my grandchildren.
From my observations from the dock—and from my boats—I agree that towing six kids is a moving hazard. New Hampshire should revert to the original RSA, before we have still another NH law named after the victim(s).

Frequently, one kid will be thrown off in a turn, that kid's tube-partner may fall-off 50 feet later. A third kid will roll off to be picked up with the other two, and still others will stay behind the towing boat. By the time the turn is made, there are kids strung out over 300-500 feet—what's the observer to do?

Even with the 150-foot rule—and in the relative expanse of Lake Winnipesaukee—there are too many other boaters unable to grasp the need of watching for such tiny "hazards".

Isn't it scary that canoes are included in objects boaters "can't see"?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #120
ghfromaltonbay

Default That's the problem

Quote:
From my observations from the dock—and from my boats—I agree that towing six kids is a moving hazard. New Hampshire should revert to the original RSA, before we have still another NH law named after the victim(s).

Frequently, one kid will be thrown off in a turn, that kid's tube-partner may fall-off 50 feet later. A third kid will roll off to be picked up with the other two, and still others will stay behind the towing boat. By the time the turn is made, there are kids strung out over 300-500 feet—what's the observer to do?
The scenario you cite is exactly what I observed with the guy towing 5 kids who looked like pre-teens and younger. When a few flew off they wound up scattered across the bay in front of Sandy Point. It took the driver some time to go back and pick up 3 or 4 kids who were more than 150 feet apart. If anyone was coming around Sandy Point they would not have had a lot of time to react to seeing small heads bobbing in the drink. It seems the driver preferred being out in the middle of the channel rather than staying closer to the western shore where the traffic is much lighter. Must be related to the slalom skier down this way who always likes to drop her ski near the mouth of Sandy Point cove instead of near the western shoreline.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #121
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
T It seems the driver preferred being out in the middle of the channel rather than staying closer to the western shore where the traffic is much lighter.
That is another whole problem. I have seen some real bad boating over the summer. I have stopped getting mad when someone does something dumb, just not worth the aggravation (like the 28' Formula that plowed by me in the graveyard Sunday- I was at no wake at the narrowest point!)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #122
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is another whole problem. I have seen some real bad boating over the summer. I have stopped getting mad when someone does something dumb, just not worth the aggravation (like the 28' Formula that plowed by me in the graveyard Sunday- I was at no wake at the narrowest point!)
Can't see you not getting mad Vita. Mellowing a bit are ya?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #123
Orion

Default Yep, same here

Quote:
I had the exact same thing happen to me there two weeks ago. I slowed to the required no-wake speed in my 18' open-bow fishing boat while some clown in a ~25'-er plowed past me at max wake speed, nearly swamping my boat. He hit all three points: stupid, illegal, and inconsiderate.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #124
VitaBene

Quote:
Can't see you not getting mad Vita. Mellowing a bit are ya?
Yep, a little I still have a low tolerance for BS though.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #125
depasseg

Quote:
The scenario you cite is exactly what I observed with the guy towing 5 kids who looked like pre-teens and younger. When a few flew off they wound up scattered across the bay in front of Sandy Point. It took the driver some time to go back and pick up 3 or 4 kids who were more than 150 feet apart. If anyone was coming around Sandy Point they would not have had a lot of time to react to seeing small heads bobbing in the drink. It seems the driver preferred being out in the middle of the channel rather than staying closer to the western shore where the traffic is much lighter. Must be related to the slalom skier down this way who always likes to drop her ski near the mouth of Sandy Point cove instead of near the western shoreline.
How would more spotters or less tubers affect the inattentive driver coming at them? We've already determined anyone is allowed to be in the water, why does it matter if you get there from a tube, boat, or shore? If we are going to change a law, we first have to figure out the problem we need to solve.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #126
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
How would more spotters or less tubers affect the inattentive driver coming at them? We've already determined anyone is allowed to be in the water, why does it matter if you get there from a tube, boat, or shore? If we are going to change a law, we first have to figure out the problem we need to solve.
Agreed- the onus is on the boat operator (where it belongs). Swimmers are like pedestrians in a crosswalk- they have the right of way, but should take actions and make decisions to make sure they can still cross safely. Being right sometimes means being dead.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #127
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
If there was nothing within 150' of you, why were you going so slowly?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #128
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
If there was nothing within 150' of you, why were you going so slowly?
It is impossible to run through the graveyard above no wake speed if another boat is passing you coming from the other direction.

The Formula was within 10-15' when it passed (plowed) on my port side. Had the operator planned and throttled back some, he could have stayed on plane/waited until I was through before he even entered (there is plenty of visibility there- I can usually adjust my speed to allow an oncoming vessel time to make it through).

On another note, I saw the MP having a field day in Moultonborough this weekend with 150' rule violations. They were all over the channel in the Ambrose Cove/ Suissevale area.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #129
tis

We came back from Moultonboro yesterday and about 15 boats (which seemed to be all together) went flying past us about 20 feet from us. We were going slow so got rocked. Wonder if they eventually got stopped. They seemed to have no clue.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #130
Dave R

Quote:

On another note, I saw the MP having a field day in Moultonborough this weekend with 150' rule violations. They were all over the channel in the Ambrose Cove/ Suissevale area.
I hate it when they, or any other boat operators, position themselves near the center of the "channel", basically forcing people to slow to headway speed for no real reason. There is plenty of room for boats to pass on-plane there, if they stay near the edge of the "channel".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #131
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
It is impossible to run through the graveyard above no wake speed if another boat is passing you coming from the other direction.

The Formula was within 10-15' when it passed (plowed) on my port side. Had the operator planned and throttled back some, he could have stayed on plane/waited until I was through before he even entered (there is plenty of visibility there- I can usually adjust my speed to allow an oncoming vessel time to make it through).

Thanks for the clarification, I mistakenly thought that you had been passed by someone going the same direction that you were.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #132
Chaselady

Quote:

Isn't easier to just go between Melvin and Chase, rather than the Graveyard?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #133
tis

I agree with you Chaselady, it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #134
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I like going through the Graveyard, but only if there are no other boats between Alton Bay and Lee's Mill. Otherwise, I go around by Chase Is.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
VitaBene (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #135
VitaBene

Thumbs up

Quote:
I do sometimes. This time I thought I had it timed right, and after that other thread about the rocks...

We had a great weekend boating, saw a lot of MP sat and sun but only one monday from lees mill to Meredith and back. It got real quiet on the lake later in the day. So much that we idled in from Moultonborough Bay to Ambrose Cove and only were passed twice!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #136
Orion

Default Why?

Quote:
It's one of the best-marked channels on the Lake, and the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Just stay between the black and red and you'll be perfectly fine and significantly cut the time and gas used to otherwise detour around Melvin.

Of course, you could get real daring and shortcut via the route west of Pistol and Spectacle.......but I wouldn't recommend it. I've personally witnessed two boats wreck their drives going the wrong way through there.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #137
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
It's one of the best-marked channels on the Lake, and the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Just stay between the black and red and you'll be perfectly fine and significantly cut the time and gas used to otherwise detour around Melvin.

Of course, you could get real daring and shortcut via the route west of Pistol and Spectacle.......but I wouldn't recommend it. I've personally witnessed two boats wreck their drives going the wrong way through there.

The Pistol Island route is fun to take although probably slower over all. It just doesent look like you should go between FL81 and Pistol especially with the Red just west of it.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #138
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
The Pistol Island route is fun to take although probably slower over all. It just doesent look like you should go between FL81 and Pistol especially with the Red just west of it.
I take that route often. The only issue I've ever had was the first time when I did not realize that the black tops and red tops swap sides (relative to the boat) on either side of pistol. I had a spare prop on board and fixed the damaged prop myself when I got home.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #139
bigtuna

Quote:
The Marine Patrol has been much less visible in Alton Bay this summer compared to past years. The week after July 4th we hardly saw the Marine Patrol and there was plenty for them to do. One boater was out every afternoon towing 5 kids with a beige ski boat, 3 on a Big Mabel and 2 on either side on red zip sleds. They spent almost 2 hours each afternoon going from the Mt. Washington dock past Sandy Point, and many of us on shore kept saying "Where is the Marine Patrol?". He had 2 "observers" with him in the boat. Don't know if this clown is still in the area. There are several underage (14 and 15) kids using their parents' jet skis as well. These kids are small for their age, and yet the Marine Patrol never seems to be around when they are buzzing around Sandy Point on the weekends.
Thats because law enforcement typically intervenes after a crime has been committed. The fact is Marine patrol is usually bored to tears and pulling someone over creates a diversion to the tedious nature of there job.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #140
RLW

Smile

bigtuna, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining and joining in with your comments. Hope to see a lot more of you here on the forum.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #141
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
I do sometimes. This time I thought I had it timed right, and after that other thread about the rocks...

We had a great weekend boating, saw a lot of MP sat and sun but only one monday from lees mill to Meredith and back. It got real quiet on the lake later in the day. So much that we idled in from Moultonborough Bay to Ambrose Cove and only were passed twice!
Hi! Can you tell me approximately how long it took you to get from Lee's Mills to Meredith and the approximate speed you traveled? I'm debating on keeping my pontoon in Hanson Cove or Long Island and one of the deciding factors is length of time to the main lake. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Evinrude63 (06-17-2022)
Old 09-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #142
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hi! Can you tell me approximately how long it took you to get from Lee's Mills to Meredith and the approximate speed you traveled? I'm debating on keeping my pontoon in Hanson Cove or Long Island and one of the deciding factors is length of time to the main lake. Thanks!
I know the Crests are nice boats, I am guessing 24 or so mph? If so, Long Island if you want to run b to Meredith or Wolfeboro. We boat out of Moultonborough Bay and near Hanson. I would also be happy to stay in that area andventure out on good days to far points. It is a tough choice!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #143
topwater

When there were no speed limits, I went from the last no-wake in Lee's to Meredith Docks in 19 minutes. Yes, just a slight ripple, late in the season and I know all the markers by heart. No boat traffic and this was done on a stop watch.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #144
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It took us 45 minutes to get from Hanson's Cove to Center Harbor. Conditions were fairly calm, but the sun may have slowed us down a bit as we headed toward Center Harbor.