Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
sail30

Default more money then brains

My wife and I were anchored in timber bay this weekend and we lay out a 5:1 scope to anchor for the better part of the day and there is 3 formulas anchored near us with nearly a 1:1 scope aka anchor Line is vertical, now I get that I've been sailing for 22 years and not everyone is an experienced boater, but seriously if you want to anchor your boat and strut around like your awesome because you have money atleast know how to properly man the rig that you have. Basic boasting 101 is know how to Properly use a freakin anchor
Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
BlackcatBoater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail30 View Post
My wife and I were anchored in timber bay this weekend and we lay out a 5:1 scope to anchor for the better part of the day and there is 3 formulas anchored near us with nearly a 1:1 scope aka anchor Line is vertical, now I get that I've been sailing for 22 years and not everyone is an experienced boater, but seriously if you want to anchor your boat and strut around like your awesome because you have money atleast know how to properly man the rig that you have. Basic boasting 101 is know how to Properly use a freakin anchor

Now I realize that I'm pretty new to the forum myself- but if I'm going to badmouth anybody- I'd be sure to use good grammar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackcatBoater For This Useful Post:
JDeere (07-27-2013), Sue Doe-Nym (07-29-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
sail30

Wow that's the reply I get. You do realize this is a forum not an english paper. Ok I get in my rant I made a few mistakes but seriously it's not like I am saying yo what ↑ G. Get off your high horse. All I'm saying is if you are going to buy a30, 40, 50, or 60k plus boat take a course and do a little freaking home work before you make yourself look like an idiot because you don't even know how handle it. Besides I'm sending this from a smart phone so please forgive me if I take a few short cuts in my grammar.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
JDeere

Default hmmmm

Wondering who is looking like the idiot?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
BlackcatBoater (07-27-2013), NHBUOY (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
pcmc

Quote:
Besides I'm sending this from a smart phone so please forgive me if I take a few short cuts in my grammar.
Sheesh, sent from a smart phone... No excuses. Now, sent from a dumb phone... Well then maybe we all could let it slide.

Totally kidding with everyone !

I am a current 2nd summer boater, so I am very new to this. From reading the forums here l have found the people of Winni watch for rule breakers very closely. Last summer we had a friend join us who is a boater with a license. He would enjoy small CT lakes, rivers, and the L. I. Sound. When he took the wheel of our boat and I repeatedly told him to give more room between boats, explaining the 150' rule, he could only respond in disbelief saying, "Really, no one is able to do that all of the time." My only point here is pointing out that it seems most boaters that learn on smaller lakes might not have conditions that allow 150' so they make do. As with the anchoring, maybe the other boaters, mentioned above, have never been in situation to anchor properly where they normally enjoy boating. As long as they don't loose the boat, it must be anchored right.

For a disclaimer : I too am writing from my smart phone. Any mistakes found are to brought up with my phone, don't bother me, I already know I make mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
BlackcatBoater

Smile

By no means am I an English teacher- but just because somebody owns Formula boats does not mean that they have gobs of money and are showing off. I can understand if their boats broke loose and slammed into yours there is a beef somewhere. If they have an expensive boat it does not mean that the are showing off or think they are better than you. Give me a couple minutes with them, and I will teach them proper anchor procedures!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
If they didn't drag the anchor, they had enough scope. I have such oversize ground tackle on my boat (22 lb Delta plow with 15 feet of chain on a 25 foot boat) that if there's light wind, I can use 1:1 scope. I'm a firm believer in having a "storm anchor" as an everyday anchor.

Also, if there is a large amount of chain on the rope/chain rode, there's little wind, and the water is shallow, one can have a 5:1 scope that appears to be 1:1 from the surface because all the chain may be laying on the bottom horizontally.

Last edited by Dave R; 07-28-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Realized I made an error in describing 1:1 scope
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Seadoo

Quote:
We were there yesterday afternoon as well and know the 3 boats you mention. 1:1 scope at Timber Island is plenty. Have you ever seen how many rocks there are for catching a good anchor? Also most Formulas have 150ft of chain so naturally the anchor CHAIN is going to look vertical.