Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
nhlover54

Default no wake zone petition

"270:12 Operating Restrictions. –
I. The commissioner of safety shall, after receiving a petition signed by 25 or more residents or property owners of each affected town or towns in which a lake, pond or river is located and after notice and hearing, at which it appears that the public interest requires, adopt rules governing the maximum horsepower of boat engines and outboard motors or prescribe maximum speed limits for the operation of such boats or outboard motors applicable to or upon all or any portion of the public waters of this state."

there are some people trying to impose a no wake zone in Morrison cove and some of the petitioners DO NOT own land IN Morrison cove. how is it that possible?? just because you live in a town (not even on the lake) you can attempt to impose restrictions on others?? (who DO live on the lake and in the cove and are opposed to the nwz) this is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure don't think folks who live in alton or laconia should have a say in what goes on in "our" cove....and as soon as the nwz is implemented then here come all the RUDE, OBNOXIOUS rafters who (OMIT: think they can) hang out all day in the cove, completely taking it over, blocking easy access to my dock/beach....then disposing of any litter/trash/ personal items, use the lake as their toilet (where else are they relieving themselves when they are anchored ALL DAY) then my neighbors and I spend the next few days picking up their trash......what a nightmare!!!!!!

Last edited by nhlover54; 07-11-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: poor choice of words, i apologize!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Just Sold

A similar situation occured at the Barber Pole. This should give you some perspective of how this can happen and passed or defeated as it was for the Barber Pole No Wake Zone Petition. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ht=barber+pole
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlover54 View Post
rafters who think they can hang out all day in the cove
Well, legally, they can.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
jrc

"Your" cove belongs to me a rafter and citizens of Alton and Laconia along with you, if you are a NH citizen. I still agree that the commission of safety should consider the need for a NWZ based on the local conditions.

You could tone down the rafter bashing, most of us have toilets on our boats, inspected by the NH DES and none of us wants trash in our lake.

I doubt rafters are behind a petition for a NWZ in Morrison Cove, more likely a resident upset about boat wakes. Most rafters are nervous about zones because of No Rafting Zones.

271:20 State Water Jurisdiction; Published List of Public Waters; Rulemaking. –
I. All natural bodies of fresh water situated entirely in the state having an area of 10 acres or more are state-owned public waters, and are held in trust by the state for public use; and no corporation or individual shall have or exercise in any such body of water any rights or privileges not common to all citizens of this state; provided, however, the state retains its existing jurisdiction over those bodies of water located on the borders of the state over which it has exercised such jurisdiction.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlover54 View Post
"270:12 Operating Restrictions. –
I. The commissioner of safety shall, after receiving a petition signed by 25 or more residents or property owners of each affected town or towns in which a lake, pond or river is located and after notice and hearing, at which it appears that the public interest requires, adopt rules governing the maximum horsepower of boat engines and outboard motors or prescribe maximum speed limits for the operation of such boats or outboard motors applicable to or upon all or any portion of the public waters of this state."

there are some people trying to impose a no wake zone in Morrison cove and some of the petitioners DO NOT own land IN Morrison cove. how is it that possible?? just because you live in a town (not even on the lake) you can attempt to impose restrictions on others?? (who DO live on the lake and in the cove and are opposed to the nwz) this is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure don't think folks who live in alton or laconia should have a say in what goes on in "our" cove....and as soon as the nwz is implemented then here come all the RUDE, OBNOXIOUS rafters who think they can hang out all day in the cove, completely taking it over, blocking easy access to my dock/beach....then disposing of any litter/trash/ personal items, use the lake as their toilet (where else are they relieving themselves when they are anchored ALL DAY) then my neighbors and I spend the next few days picking up their trash......what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like there's a nice sandbar near the entrance, on the west side. How deep is it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
hilltopper (07-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
nhlover54

Default nwz in morrison cove

thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier post. I am sorry for some wording in my post and thus corrected it. I certainly realize everyone can utilize all areas of the lake....just very frustrating when folks who live elsewhere try to make changes that will not effect them (directly) or their property....and to jrc....i'm sorry for blasting "rafters" but my experience has been a totally negative one here in the cove...picking up their trash....not being able to navigate very easily due to the small size of the cove, large underwater boulders and the extra boats anchored in the cove...just my opinion.

and, although I am a newer member on this forum, my family has owned property on the lake since the early 1900s.....
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
jrc

I agree with your frustration regarding people forcing a NWZ where the locals don't want it. Fight it, you can win.

I also agree with you feelings on people trashing the lake. In your shoes, I'd be tempted to gather up floating trash from the rafters and politely return it to them. I think they would get the hint, that people were watching.

As to navigation issues, you live on essentially a huge state park, you have to expect people to use it. Imagine if you had property on the Weirs channel.

For full disclosure, I rarely raft with other boats but I do anchor, sometimes for the whole day. Never tried Morrison's Cove.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Jconfarotta

I personally love Winni but the boat traffic and the distance just became to much of a hassle. I tried Narragansett at the end of last summer. The boat is now in the saltwater. I was shocked at how nice Narragansett is for boating. There is so much to do and so many places to take the boat. So far I have seen the boaters making far fewer boneheaded decisions. I do miss the freshwater and the country. I am amazed that everything else is more enjoyable in RI for boating. I don't believe that NH wants boats off the big lake. The loss of tax dollars would be devastating to the state and towns.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
4 for Boating

Default Updated Map

Where can you find an updated map that shows all of the no wake zones on the lake? Has anything recently been published?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Baja Guy

Morrison Cove would be a waste of effort for restrictions. It's too tiny for much of a raft up. I hope it's left just as it is.
There's no need for a no wake zone, if you actually follow the rules of navigation theres hardly a spot that's over 150' from anything. There is a big unmarked rock about 3 or 4 feet below the surface. And there is a shallow spot too. So I slow down anyway. It's mostly a no wake zone by default.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Scott's Yott

Just remember you too can petition to have the NWZ REMOVED with 25 signatures...fight fire with fire
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
WeirsBeachBoater

Just be glad and thankful that nowadays they have to notify abutters. The old trick was to get these passed in the winter while no one was watching!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-14-2013), Pineedles (07-14-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
COW ISL TIME

Default no wake zone

Hi NH lover I was highly involved with the Barber pole NWZ both the first time (when they tried to sneak it through with out any body knowing about it)and the second hearing. We were able to block it and get a new hearing that every body attended and overturned the law. there is now an Abbutters law (Thanks to S.B.O.N.H.)
That the petitioners have to notify all abbutters that this law would affect.
I would notify all the people in Morrison cove,get as many as you can and go to the hearing. Also you might want to check the names and addresses on the petition, of the 25 signatures for the Barber pole only 15 were confirmed residents,Good Luck I hope you succeed in your efforts
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to COW ISL TIME For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-16-2013), LIforrelaxin (07-23-2013), OCDACTIVE (07-16-2013), steve c (07-22-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
OCDACTIVE

Thank you Cow Isl. SBONH was proud to have taken part in blocking the NWZ in the Barbara's Pole. Whether the NWZ had merit or not ALL residents and land owners directly affected deserved to know what was happening in their own front yard.

The new abutters bill should prevent this from ever happening again.

The way the law is written however is a hearing will nor or should not even be granted until proof of notification has been sent by certified mail and submitted with the application for a hearing. It is no longer the responsibility of those who hear about a petition for a hearing, rather those making the petition to notify all those involved.

It will be interesting to see if the petitioners adhere to the law as it is written.

Please keep us notified.
Webbsatwinni (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Webbsatwinni

Default Wrong forum!

OCD, Shouldn't you be in a saltwater forum dealing with the tough sea barnacle issues?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
OCD, Shouldn't you be in a saltwater forum dealing with the tough sea barnacle issues?
LMAO! Thanks Buddy....

I just want to make sure you don't mess things up during my absence this year. I don't want to show up next summer and have everything gone to the birds..

Thanks for checking though. Hope you are enjoying the new boat!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Hi OCD. Nice to see you post again. Hope things are working out for you!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
songkrai

They did a no wake zone in two coves near me. No erosion issues in either.

As far as I am concerned it lowers the waterfront property value. Both were dead end coves - so no thru traffic.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post

As far as I am concerned it lowers the waterfront property value. Both were dead end coves - so no thru traffic.
You can go back to the original petition and see if the abbutters were notified by certified mail, if not you can ask for a hearing.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
Dave M

Default Info ?

Where would you go to get this information. Would it show the originator,etc.

Dave M
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post

This new abutters law did not go into effect until the end of last summer. If the NWZ's were petitioned and passed prior to that the certified mail notifications were not needed.

The Dept. is required to post any new hearing on it's web site at least 2 weeks prior to any hearing. If you see one you can call and ask if the abutters were notified by mail.

Keep us posted here for I'd be happy to make a call and check as well.
BroadHopper (07-23-2013), LIforrelaxin (07-23-2013)