Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
dippasan

Default Another 150' tale

I'd like to thank the ignorant boater that provided an excellent visual reference to my 3 son's (who are relatively inexperienced but licensed boaters) about the 150' rule.

We traveled through the Weirs channel into Paugus Bay on Sunday. It was very busy but that's kind of what makes it fun to go through. We turned around deep in Paugus bay to come back through the channel. I was still several hundred yards away from the "no wake" buoy and slowed to headway because there were boats parked south of the Naswa with swimmers and people just enjoying the moving boat show. Everyone was lined up single file preparing to go through.
A boat then went by me on full plane (with his wife and kids aboard) and cut in front of me in the line of traffic creating some really awesome waves for everyone. This 4$$hole was no more than 40-50 feet away from me and the traffic coming the other way. He then proceeded to navigate almost dead center down the channel. Absolutely clueless!!! I guess he figured that he wasn't up to the "no wake" buoy yet so he'd just keep it on plane completely oblivious to the fact that the 150 rule applies to other boats. All 3 of my son's used some nice sentence enhancers to describe his boating skills. Boaters coming the other way were shaking their heads.

Thanks to him my sons now have a vivid mental image of what the 150' rule means and how it applies.
jetlag100 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default New law

I though the new law was suppose to make the lake safe?

I guess not. The boneheads are still out there while the more experienced and considerate boaters move elsewhere.

About 6 pm Friday night, a small bowrider with more floats than people actually plane from Paugus Bay right up to to Pier IV condo. WOW! That was bold! The boat was so close to mine that we can feel the spray. The only reason why they slow down is the traffic in front of them.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
jetlag100

Had a similar situation heading to Moultonborough Bay. There's that 6 buoy channel, that even though it's not a no wake channel, had the guy pass us. Crazy! The channel is really, just wide enough for one lane in each direction, never mind passing. Really? Just shook my head and slowed to a crawl. Watch out for the other guy, was what I was taught! Feeling your angst.......
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
JDeere

Quote:
The boneheads are still out there while the more experienced and considerate boaters move elsewhere.
That is new one! Wow, only the experienced and considerate boaters have left the big lake. Golly, where did they all go? I want to move there too.
Bottom line is there will ALWAYS be rude boaters one simply must learn to be defensive in boating as we are when we drive our cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-29-2012)