Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Just Sold

Thumbs down Capt'n Bonehead One Up'd

Could not believe our eyes when we were returning to our boat at the town docks in Alton Bay yesterday afternoon. Lots of people sitting on the docks.
There was a Thundercraft Cruiser attempting to dock and the operator was not able to get the boat into the dock slip. Not even close to a normal docking attempt. Lots of yelling from others on board to those on the boat who were grabbbig at the dock posts and trying to hold on to them. They ended up across the stern of a large newer unoccupied black & white boat and hit it pretty hard. It took them quite a while to finally get into the slip and everyone on the docks was looking in amazment at this whole event. One woman from the boat even yelled out " Hey everybody: Glad you liked the show". The people from the Thundercraft boat did not seem to concerned that they were the center of attention or that they had hit another boat. After docking they went the wrong way to get to the stairs and were laughing before realizing they had gone the wrong way. They made no attempt that I saw to leave a note on the boat they hit or look for any damage to either boat. We were all just so appalled at what had just happened...everyone of the docks obviously were as well. There was more comments made by someone from the boat and at that point my wife did write down the bow #'s of both boats.
As we were out past Sandy Point the MP came screaming down the bay toward Alton. Wondered if it was for this incident.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
OCDACTIVE

Just so everyone knows: please do not confuse "thundercraft" with my Active Thunder.. Completely different types of boats and from the sound of it completely different types of drivers. No way would I ever risk scratching my boat in this manner .

But in all seriousness this is terrible and truely shows how some captains need to learn how to maneuver their vessel's before piloting them into a crowded dock. The attitude of the crew also is astounding.

I had a Capt'n bonehead cut me off this weekend. It is nothing in comparison to this story but the irony is too funny not to mention.

I was heading out of Winter Harbor. A smaller blue Formula was a bit ahead of me on my starboard. We were both on straight courses heading out into the Broads. With no clear reason and not even looking the boat turns hard left heading toward Wolfeboro / Alton direction. I back off and cut right. All of my passengers were shaking their heads in disbelief. We then catch the name of the boat on the side: "Wake Up"

Found it too ironic not to share.

But that is why you have to stay alert in any circumstance when on the water.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Goes to show, OC....gotta be on your toes out there. Had the same thing happen this summer with a guy pulling a tube with two kids on it....did a 360 in front of me at 35mph. Did the same as you...had to go hard to starboard to miss them. The capt was watching the tube and not looking.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Saturday Night

There was a small cruiser loaded with family fishing halfway between the no wake bouy and Channel Marine! While an older man was fishing, there were kids running around on top of the bow cabin and two ladies trying to dip their feet in the water. The boat was obviously overloaded, drifting and the sun was about to set. No nav or anchor light. I jot down the bow number that began with MS and report it.

Sunday an anchor marine rental was cruising down the Winnipesakee River toward the dam at a speed much greater than no wake! he circled around and zipped through the railroad crossing forcing a much bigger boat to travel in reverse! They boneheads are still out there!

All in all I had a great weekend.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Could not believe our eyes when we were returning to our boat at the town docks in Alton Bay yesterday afternoon. Lots of people sitting on the docks.
There was a Thundercraft Cruiser attempting to dock and the operator was not able to get the boat into the dock slip. Not even close to a normal docking attempt. Lots of yelling from others on board to those on the boat who were grabbbig at the dock posts and trying to hold on to them. They ended up across the stern of a large newer unoccupied black & white boat and hit it pretty hard. It took them quite a while to finally get into the slip and everyone on the docks was looking in amazment at this whole event. One woman from the boat even yelled out " Hey everybody: Glad you liked the show". The people from the Thundercraft boat did not seem to concerned that they were the center of attention or that they had hit another boat. After docking they went the wrong way to get to the stairs and were laughing before realizing they had gone the wrong way. They made no attempt that I saw to leave a note on the boat they hit or look for any damage to either boat. We were all just so appalled at what had just happened...everyone of the docks obviously were as well. There was more comments made by someone from the boat and at that point my wife did write down the bow #'s of both boats.
As we were out past Sandy Point the MP came screaming down the bay toward Alton. Wondered if it was for this incident.
We had just come back from getting an ice cream and we saw the MP at the Alton docks around 4:00 PM and they were talking to some people on the dock and filling out a report.

What a rotten way to end the season,,,
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Wolfeboro_Baja

Just Sold, if you didn't call the MP earlier and report the incident, I hope you call them now and offer your eyewitness account in light of XCR's post. I've done that before when it involved a car scraping another car while they were backing out of a parking spot. Three months later I received a phone call from a grateful owner thanking me for reporting it. It had saved them a LOT of hassle and money getting the insurance to cover the repairs.

Boneheads are ALWAYS in season!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfeboro_Baja For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Just Sold, if you didn't call the MP earlier and report the incident, I hope you call them now and offer your eyewitness account in light of XCR's post. I've done that before when it involved a car scraping another car while they were backing out of a parking spot. Three months later I received a phone call from a grateful owner thanking me for reporting it. It had saved them a LOT of hassle and money getting the insurance to cover the repairs.

Boneheads are ALWAYS in season!!
Oh what smart thinking!

Sometimes we forget something as simple as that,,,

Hopefully the MP will get all the info they need.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
dayvsea

Been in boats since the 60's and the lack of Seamanship I see appalls me..I think if people had grown up in, and been schooled in a boating family the skills would be handed down and tried and true. I think these days it's just checkbook and Raybans and off we go..CG course in a high school somewhere with No practical exam.. It's a wonder more people aren't hurt...
Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvsea View Post
Been in boats since the 60's and the lack of Seamanship I see appalls me..I think if people had grown up in, and been schooled in a boating family the skills would be handed down and tried and true. I think these days it's just checkbook and Raybans and off we go..CG course in a high school somewhere with No practical exam.. It's a wonder more people aren't hurt...
Well yep this is pretty much the problem, and its not just about a checkbook... it is about someones ability to get a loan. Back when most of us got into boating, you didn't take a loan out, you paid for the boat out right. Not now, now you finance for 12 - 15 years, or better yet by a cruiser and take out a mortgage... It has become way to easy to get a boat... and their are a lot of boaters that are first timers.

Now onto the docking subject.... to many people are really awful at this maneuver .... people really need to learn that practice practice practice is how to get better.... When I was learning to operate the boat, and we found ample unoccupied dock public dock space... my father would have me pull in and out several time, from several directions... it really taught me how to handle a boat....even now, I go to Center Harbor almost every weekend... I always come into the docks differently... some time I even back in... to keep the skills tuned....

I don't care if there is ever a practical on the water exam to get the right to boat... however what I do care about, is how people come into this hobby.... experienced boaters need to do a better job mentoring new boaters... And new boaters need to start realizing what a privilege it is to own a boat.....