Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
NH_boater

Default Incredibly irresponsible bonehead captain

I was returning to Alton Bay around 4pm this afternoon, into a flurry of boats pulling tubes skiers and boarders. As I am sure many know, Alton Bay can get very, very busy with circling tubers and boarders. As I approach the gazebo, I barely see a young kid bobbing alone in the water. No boat was circling back to pick him up. I wait a few seconds and still nothing. I quickly decide to go over to him in my boat to protect him from all the busy boats flying around. I was there long enough to have a conversation with the young boy. I ask which boat is his and he points to a boat out past Sandy Point. I sat with him until his boat returns. The returning boat is filled with apparently able-bodied observers, dragging a tube with another kid on it. One of the adults in the boat thanks me with a quick wave and I left wondering how this captain can leave a kid floating all alone in a very busy bay. Any one of the captains pulling a tuber or skier could have easily struck a lone kid floating in the bay, barely visible.

I was on the fence on speaking to this captain about his very poor judgment. I quickly decided that this bonehead is not likely to accept any advise regardless of how it might be presented.

I would love to see this incredibly irresponsible bonehead captain have his license pulled for a year to remind him of his responsibility he neglected with this very stupid move. This poor scared little boy could easily have been seriously hurt or killed while this captain drove off and around.

This was a very disturbing event for me.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
NHBUOY

If I was in your position, you can bet your butt I'd say something...
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
rockythedog

I've got one better, last Friday the renters next door to me decided to go scuba diving. The only problem it was 9:00 PM. They had a small red strobe attached to a tube but I lost sight when they were 250' off shore. If somebody hit the fools I'm sure the captain would be held responsible.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Baja Guy

You could call it in to the MP. Maybe if enough folks see this a kid's life will be saved.
Good for you to protect the floating child, you did well.