Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you for or against rafting?
Should be allowed anywhere 378 36.49%
Should NOT be allowed anywhere 116 11.20%
Only in designated areas 542 52.32%
Voters: 1036. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
KTO

Default Are you for or against rafting?

Are you for or against rafting on the lake?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
Cal

Should be off limits in some places. Some people are liable to try to raft up in Weirs Channel
Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

KTO, you forgot the – it doesn’t affect me/I don’t care about this issue option.
I suspect there are quite a few here on the forum that would fall into this category.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-14-2011), Jonas Pilot (04-19-2012)
Old 02-07-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
ApS

KTO:

Your poll lists two choices that are essentially the same (the last two).

RG:

I don't think a "It doesn't affect me/I don't care" is necessary.

However, I think a Designated Rafting Zone (DRZ) should be established off Rattlesnake Island.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
RG:
I don't think a "It doesn't affect me/I don't care" is necessary.
I suppose you are correct, those people just wouldn't vote.
On the other hand you could argue that it is good to know how many people it doesn’t affect.
Quote:
However, I think a Designated Rafting Zone (DRZ) should be established off Rattlesnake Island.
Acres, you are such a hoot!
Good luck to anyone trying to raft on The Broads! If smashing into the rocks doesn't get you, the big waves will.
Though we don’t get rafters, we get hordes of fisherman, which doesn’t bother me in the least.
It's a right of passage and means that spring has arrived. Besides, it is more likely that I would annoy them!
It can be a bit of a challenge getting into the dock at times, but so far everyone has been more than respectful.
Well, except for that incident last summer when someone left that lure on our dock. I seriously doubt it was an experienced person who left it behind.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
GWC...

Unhappy Poll complaint...

RadioButtons are not appropriate for this poll - limit choice to one.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
Dave R

I don't raft up with anyone but I think it's absurd that it's illegal to do so in certain areas. Whose business is it if If I wish to tie my boat to another boat? I mean, really
Old 02-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I must say that we will go out to the broads side of Rattlesnake to have a picnic supper and watch the world go by, and are surprised by the number of fishing boats and others doing the same thing we are doing. If someone wanted to tie to us and join us, all the more power to them. but RG is right, can't always sit out there.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #9
KTO

Quote:
Your poll lists two choices that are essentially the same (the last two).
I noticed that! I was actually originally intending to have them be flip flop (Certain areas of the lake ARE off limits, and for the other MOST of the lake is off limits)

I think also that rafting can get to carried away sometimes, when people (Now I am not blaming anyone or saying I hate rafters) throw their trash out the side, bother wildlife in a cruel way (even if it's technically legal), or if they were to get into the way of another boater, such as rafting in a fairly "tight" zone, and sometimes and blasting music to the extreme (especially innaproppriate music!). I believe that those people are mainly the cause for rafting problems. Rafting should be stopped because of those people mentioned. I'm not saying I hate rafters in General, but mainly that I dislike rafters who over abuse their power, and I think it is they who ruin it for the rest of the rafters out there who want a fairly peaceful rafting experience.

If I have said anything that others think perfectly fine, please let me know!

Last edited by KTO; 02-07-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
Cal

KTO,
So what you're saying is the few should ruin it for the many??? Those few who pay loud obnoxious music and toss trash over the side can still do that if they are anchored alone , they don't need to raft to do that. Next step ban anchoring???? Just curious.
I do find listening to others music hard to swallow sometimes myself. Particularly if I can't here my own radio
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
KTO

Ya Cal, I suppose what you are saying is true. . . that's quite tough. . .

Perhaps if rafting wasn't allowed, there would be less reason to play music so loud (there wouldn't be any body to play it to) or show off in front of your friends by tossin' the beer back over your shoulder. I don't know.

I did say that those select few ruin it for everyone else, and I did mean that. Marine Patrol can't watch every spot on the lake at one time, therefore, to stop all of these problems, maybe rafting should be discontinued, or maybe in certain select areas. . . just a thought. . .
Old 02-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Default The few and the many

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO
I noticed that! I was actually originally intending to have them be flip flop (Certain areas of the lake ARE off limits, and for the other MOST of the lake is off limits)

I think also that rafting can get to carried away sometimes, when people (Now I am not blaming anyone or saying I hate rafters) throw their trash out the side, bother wildlife in a cruel way (even if it's technically legal), or if they were to get into the way of another boater, such as rafting in a fairly "tight" zone, and sometimes and blasting music to the extreme (especially innaproppriate music!). I believe that those people are mainly the cause for rafting problems. Rafting should be stopped because of those people mentioned. I'm not saying I hate rafters in General, but mainly that I dislike rafters who over abuse their power, and I think it is they who ruin it for the rest of the rafters out there who want a fairly peaceful rafting experience.

If I have said anything that others think perfectly fine, please let me know!

Can I let you know if I think you've said something un-fine ? (I've bolded the above) It appears that while I was off-line formulating a response Cal addressed the point that I take exception to. I hope it doesn't appear that I'm piling on.

While I agree there are the few who who "abuse their power" I don't agree that the solution is a lake-wide ban on rafting. If your neighbor has loud party, or even a long history of loud parties, I wouldn't petition the town to ban all gatherings of more than X people. If the local town basketball court was attracting a "bad" crowd I wouldn't ask the town to close it. I would ask the town to better police the activity in question when the abuse occurs. This does take more effort and patience but we adopt the approach of always letting the few ruin it for the many, pretty soon we'll be left with the ability to do nothing. Moreover there's a moral aspect to this ... punishing the good guys along with the bad guys ... just doesn't seem right to me, at least not until all other options have been exhausted.

I believe the bill has stalled but I'm sure it'll come back. What I don't quite understand is why it's necessary. It would appear the present system has a good set of checks and balances in it. If there's enough abuse in a spot then the property owners can petition for a NRZ and achieve the same result as the bill. This should incentivize the rafters to curb the excesses yet it sets up a barrier, though surmountable, to stop a single "ornery" property owner from a hair trigger response. Have the granting authorities effectively rejected all NRZ petitions causing people to seek another redress ? Or is it a case of someone "important" petitioning for a NRZ and getting rejected ?? One of the sponsoring reps cited the usual concerns and was quoted as saying he didn't want to "move the problem from 1 spot to another", hence the need for lake-wide ban. He seemed to think that eventually all the shore would be developed and become NRZs anyway so why not make it happen now. I think his reasoning and the bill is just too encompassing and discriminating against those who aren't part of the problem.

I'm not part of the big rafting group, when I anchor it's usually alone and looking for a quite, empty (! ha !) spot on the lake. We might tie up with another boat or 2 and break out the Magma. I can understand both the property owner and boater POVs but I think there just isn't enough need for this bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO
I did say that those select few ruin it for everyone else, and I did mean that. Marine Patrol can't watch every spot on the lake at one time, therefore, to stop all of these problems, maybe rafting should be discontinued, or maybe in certain select areas. . . just a thought. . .
I would say that there are times when I cruise past the sandbar in W. Alton, already a NRZ, and see boats clogging the channel to WAM. If the MP can't keep up with the existing NRZs, then I don't think making the whole lake a NRZ is going to help. I wonder if more enforcement when and where it's needed would help.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
ApS

Arrow Rafting Considerations

Folks forget that rafting is "new" to Winnipesaukee.

Since the state provides boat ramps, they also should buy or create (by dumping sand on the ice) a big shallow sandy island -- or two -- somewhere. Maybe off Bear Island? Rattlesnake Island?

Actually, the lake has gotten so rough on weekends that people don't raft in front of my place any longer. (Some of my family members, remembering that rafting wasn't practiced years ago, also went to embarrassing excesses to shoo them away. So I have much less of a gripe than others may have here).

My chief complaint was "hooking" my water intake by the rafters' anchors. (They can't move it now though)!

That said, I enjoy most the south end view of the Ossipee Mountains -- not the south end view of rafters.

How about that sandy island, New Hampshire?

Last edited by ApS; 02-09-2005 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Thread moved. Relevant sentences removed.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
PROPELLER

Default Mee-n-Mac

I agree with what you posted. However, I am not happy with the present law chapter 270:44 (not the new LSR although I am against that too) because it allows any one to petition for a NRZ & could lead to the whole lake becoming a NRZ. Each time a new area becomes a NRZ the rafters will move to another area where it is not banned & that stresses that new area even more & makes property owners in that area more angry & then they petition for a NRZ, it just keeps snowballing.

I think it would be better to make the entire lake rafting friendly except in those areas where for instance Loons nest (and even that is not the whole summer, Loons are done nesting by the end of June I think) or any other area where its clear it presents a hazard like Weirs channel or it can be shown its not environmentally sound etc. That way they are spread out more & property owners in the areas where rafting is allowed do not bear the full burden of all the rafters while others do not where they were able to get a NRZ passed.

Although many of the undeveloped areas on the lake are slowly disappearing, many of the rafters do use those areas that are left for rafting so they are not blocking access
Old 02-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
KTO

Propeller, you bring up a great point. If many areas were accesible to rafters, it may be less crowded. I just have a bit of an irrelavent thought though, that maybe people just like the location (is it enclosed, is there a sandbar or beach?) and would stick to their original spots. I suppose overcrowdedness could be a small problem too. The cove next to Farrar point is commonly filled with 20-60 boats on a regular summer day. And of course there are many others, like Blackey Cove, that just get taken over. I could see the toughness in the decisions!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #16
Silver Duck

Angry

I have two thoughts to contribute to this discussion. The first is that I didn't like it the first time I encountered a teacher who was so dog lazy that he punished an entire class rather than be bothered to find and punish the specific guilty parties, and I like it even less now that I'm old enough to recognize it for the injustice it is!

There are already laws against public drunkenness, disturbing the peace, littering, public lewdness, and tresspass. The MP or even local town police need to put the effort into catching and penalizing the guilty parties. Punishing the entire boating community for the misconduct of a few members is the lazy way out and is utterly unacceptable!

The excuse that offenders will see an MP boat coming and clean up their act is also unacceptable; the concept of un-marked police cars has been around for a very long time and would work just as well on the lake as it does on land!

My second thought is that people who build or buy lakefront homes in areas that are heavily used as anchorages should have used due diligence and been aware of that use before building or buying! If they didn't, and don't like boats anchored or rafted in front of their property, tough luck! If they were aware, and figured to roust the boaters once they moved in, even tougher luck!

End of Rant!

Silver Duck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver Duck For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-10-2011), Winni P (11-27-2009)
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #17
Silver Duck

APS

Not that I think that the state would ever want to spring for the cost, or be able to get the requisite permits if they did, but what about filling in the Witches as a location for your sandy island?

The Witches would provide a nice solid rock foundation, the water there is not too deep , it's already a high traffic area, and sand instead of rocks would provide a safety improvement into the bargain!

By the way, I like your new signature line!

Silver Duck
Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #18
upthesaukee

M-n-M -- Interesting you mention West Alton sand bar. We keep our boat at West Alton Marina, and while it can be very crowded on the Sand bar, east or south side of channel, and can be just as crowded on the other side, the one thing I have not seen in the two years we have had our boat at WAM are rafters blocking the channel. Are a few loud???? are a few inconsiderate by nearly running over your anchor line to get to "their" spot???? Do I enjoy being in the middle of all that???? That's a yes, yes, and a no. So, like you, I go elsewhere (the beauty of a four step ladder - swim up, climb in, life is good) and it doesn't have to be shallow.

Silver Duck --- We have called the type mentality you refer to as elementary school mentality...one kid is bad so let's all put our heads down. It has become a management style with companies as well, so it's no wonder that it is making its way into government thinking.

Education, Education, Courtesy, and Enforcement!!! sure could go a long way towards happier boating and enjoyment of the lake.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 AM   #19
ApS

Default Not bad...

Not bad...atoll -- I mean, at all.

It could be crescent-shaped against the worst wave action (or circular, with an opening).

Still, that location would require more rock-fill as a basis to put progressively finer rock and gravel before the sand was finally put in.

The funds could come from any new developer's Environmental Impact "fees". (Fees like those collected in other states with rapidly growing populations.)

Now...where could New Hampshire acquire rock, I'm wondering?

Last edited by ApS; 02-09-2005 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Fees
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #20
PROPELLER

Default Rafting

Excellent posts by Silver Duck & Upthesaukee. However, as I mentioned before, the problem is that in theory the entire lake could become no rafting (except big open bays & the broads) under current law.

Maybe boaters that believe this is wrong should try to get together & find our own sponsors to write a bill that will repeal the current law that allows someone to petition for a NRZ & even take back current NRZ'S. Personally, I would even be willing to support a limit on how many boats can raft (say 5 or 6) if the current NRZ'S are repealed & the power of the safety commissioner to designate new NRZ'S by petition is eliminated. Something is better than nothing & it spreads the rafting around more evenly. As they say, a good compromise is when no one is entirely happy.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #21
Commodore

Angry Rafting, NIMBY

Rafting is fine as long as it's Not In My Back Yard or waterfront. We have heard that before. Restricted rafting will not reduce boat and anchoring congestion in those areas.

I like to anchor and I also enjoy rafting up with friends. The NRZs (No Rafting Zones) are still crowded anchorages with or without rafts. Boaters are still allowed to raft no more than 2 boats in NRZs and some ignore or are unaware of those rules.

My attention is drawn to loud illegal rafting in NRZs. Most always one or more offshore style boats are involved with the raft. That's the obnoxious group with the loudest music and people. Again it is a small percent of the offshore boats that become highly visible and that adds to the perceived bad reputation of such boats on the lake .

As a boater I wish that the MP would enforce the no rafting rules more diligently. They should also make the specific anchoring and rafting rules for those NRZs more available to the boating public. How far can you anchor from the shore and other boats and rafts? The rules are different for different areas of Winnipesaukee.

The Poll questions are slightly confusing. I am in favor of rafting. I can live with the current situation with a few specified NRZs that allow 2 boats to raft. I am not in favor of designated rafting areas. Right now, with the exception of channels, bridges, and a few obvious places, the whole lake is a designated rafting area.

The bottom line is respect and courtesy. How do we get that accomplished?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #22
PROPELLER

Default Commodore

Yes, you are correct about the NRZ'S still being crowded such as Braun Bay & the West Alton Sand Bar. Those places will always be crowded because they are shallow & sandy. However, in other areas where boaters raft, I think these areas would thin out some if boaters had more options.

You have also hit on another theme I believe & that is that banning rafting from the entire lake will not solve any of the problems that rafting ban supporters are complaining about. Like noise, partying, littering etc. (which I believe is very over exaggerated based on my rafting experience) And as you said, it will not eliminate boaters from anchoring. Boaters will still anchor in front of peoples property only they will be ancored separately, not tied together.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #23
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
Rafting is fine as long as it's Not In My Back Yard or waterfront. We have heard that before. Restricted rafting will not reduce boat and anchoring congestion in those areas. >>SNIP<<
It's not NIMBY.

It's in our front yard.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #24
KonaChick

Maybe they should restrict the number of boats let into Winni..less boats would certainly mean less rafting
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #25
Mee-n-Mac

Question Where to raft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
I agree with what you posted. However, I am not happy with the present law chapter 270:44 (not the new LSR although I am against that too) because it allows any one to petition for a NRZ & could lead to the whole lake becoming a NRZ. Each time a new area becomes a NRZ the rafters will move to another area where it is not banned & that stresses that new area even more & makes property owners in that area more angry & then they petition for a NRZ, it just keeps snowballing.
This is what one of the sponsoring reps believe and uses to justify a lakewide NRZ. I'm less convinced that that'll happen. Not every place on the lake is desirable, or even suitable, for anchoring let alone a "big" raft up. Also I thought it took a min of 25 signatures for a petition to get considered. Short of some real aggrevation I don't think it's automatic to get the people to sign up. Your point below is really a good one and something to further explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
I think it would be better to make the entire lake rafting friendly except in those areas where for instance Loons nest (and even that is not the whole summer, Loons are done nesting by the end of June I think) or any other area where its clear it presents a hazard like Weirs channel or it can be shown its not environmentally sound etc. That way they are spread out more & property owners in the areas where rafting is allowed do not bear the full burden of all the rafters while others do not where they were able to get a NRZ passed.

I'm not sure that people would spread out enough if more places were rafting friendly though I like the idea because more space and less boats is what I usually am looking for while on the hook. But people who want to raft-up are looking for others to join with. I'm guessing a single raft of 5-10 noisy boaters will be reason enough for some to complain. More or larger rafts become immaterial to the question because at some size and/or noise level it's already hit the trip point. What do you have in mind when you say "rafting friendly" and how would it mitigate the problems that that concern people ?

But what can be done ? Could we find a place to have large rafts, perhaps even loud and bauchus parties w/o bothering the neighbors ? Silver Duck had some fun filling in the Witches but I wonder if something, someplace(s) less daunting could be found*. (any suggestions anyone) Would the more boisterous rafters voluntarily segregate themselves to these DRZs if they would be left alone to do their thing ? In retrospect we boaters should have learned from the various conservation groups. We should have organized and bought islands or shoreline and preserved them for rafting.

*lets have some more fun with this idea. Would you really need to fill in the Witches ? What if you had mooring balls for boats to tie to, along with some floating docks to make an atoll near the rocks ? I think the wave action would likely be too much most of the time but could this idea (or some derivative) be done in some other "remote" location. How about the quadrangle off Patrician Shores, Sands of Brookhurst & Farrar Pt. ?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #26
Mee-n-Mac

Default Channel to WAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
M-n-M -- Interesting you mention West Alton sand bar. We keep our boat at West Alton Marina, and while it can be very crowded on the Sand bar, east or south side of channel, and can be just as crowded on the other side, the one thing I have not seen in the two years we have had our boat at WAM are rafters blocking the channel. Are a few loud???? are a few inconsiderate by nearly running over your anchor line to get to "their" spot???? Do I enjoy being in the middle of all that???? That's a yes, yes, and a no. So, like you, I go elsewhere (the beauty of a four step ladder - swim up, climb in, life is good) and it doesn't have to be shallow.
I should have been more specific when I said "clogging" I guess. To be fair I don't recall a time where I've seen a boat in the channel but I have seen them, on a couple of occasions, right next to the channel markers with anchor lines trailing into the channel. I wouldn't have pushed the limit quite so far myself.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #27
PROPELLER

Default Limiting boats?

Konachick, how would you limit the number of boats allowed on the lake? Would you close public & private (pay) launches? Would you eliminate already existing slips at the various marinas? Would you somehow take away some property owners privilege of having a boat on the lake? I'm not sure how this would all work.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #28
PROPELLER

Default Mee n Mac

Rafting friendly means rafting would be allowed all over the lake, no restricted areas so it would not be concentrated in a few areas. However, a restriction of say 5 boats would be allowed. As far as how this will help with the problems that some have complained about, it will spread boaters who raft around so there is not so much congestion in a few areas. As far as other problems like noise, litter etc. First, I do not believe these problems exist especially to the extent that some claim. I believe its very over exaggerated because they don't like rafting & are looking for any excuse to ban or at least control it. Secondly, if there are people who are noisy, litter or commit any of the other things rafting ban supporters claim, banning rafting will not stop it. Boaters anchored separately will commit these same offences. Thats another reason why I think the supporters of the ban just don't like rafting, they are justing using these alleged problems to support their cause.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #29
Fargo

Default Boat traffic

Do you remember in the early 70's when you could only get gas for your car on even or odd days depending what your registration number was? I think the day will come when you will only be able to use your boat on even or odd days depending on the registration number. We do some casual boating in Florida, depending on the day, month and time of day can determine how fast you can drive, anchor and how large your wake can be. Gets confusing real fast. You need a calendar on board. Could happen on Winni. Hope not.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #30
Rattlesnake Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo
I think the day will come when you will only be able to use your boat on even or odd days depending on the registration number. We do some casual boating in Florida, depending on the day, month and time of day can determine how fast you can drive, anchor and how large your wake can be. Gets confusing real fast. You need a calendar on board. Could happen on Winni. Hope not.
I hope us island folk would be exempt!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #31
KonaChick

Oh wow Propeller you've really kind of stretched your imagination here! I don't supppose you could close all public/private boat launches but in theory you could allow only a certain number of boats in the water from these launches on any given day. (this issue has been discussed on the forum before actually) I can't imagine telling marina's to get rid of existing boat slips however in theory i guess some sort of legislation could be passed that allows only a certain number of dry docks per marina. Lastly I can't imagine ever telling private lakefront owners they can't have the priviledge of having a boat, although we do have a certain amount of dock space pertaining to the amount of frontage we have so I guess that part is already legislated. Mmmmmmmmmm.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:59 PM   #32
Mee-n-Mac

Talking R.o.a.r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Could we find a place to have large rafts, perhaps even loud and bauchus parties w/o bothering the neighbors ? Silver Duck had some fun filling in the Witches but I wonder if something, someplace(s) less daunting could be found*. (any suggestions anyone) Would the more boisterous rafters voluntarily segregate themselves to these DRZs if they would be left alone to do their thing ? In retrospect we boaters should have learned from the various conservation groups. We should have organized and bought islands or shoreline and preserved them for rafting.

*lets have some more fun with this idea. Would you really need to fill in the Witches ? What if you had mooring balls for boats to tie to, along with some floating docks to make an atoll near the rocks ? I think the wave action would likely be too much most of the time but could this idea (or some derivative) be done in some other "remote" location. How about the quadrangle off Patrician Shores, Sands of Brookhurst & Farrar Pt. ?
I suggest we form a rafters political action committee, ROAR. It'll push to get the state to install mooring balls in places on the lake now labelled un-navigatable. Detailed charts of all the rocks in each DRZ along with a few new key buoys would be installed and few key rock demolished. Members of ROAR would get preferential treatment for mooring positions and pay a small yearly fee to maintain the facilities. Rafts of any size would be permitted, stereo's allowed to, ... well ..., roar. We start with the above "quad" and also push for the area west & north of the Graveyard (Bizer Buoy anyone?).

R.O.A.R. = Rafting Over A lot of Rocks (hmmm, how about Rafting Over Anonymous Rocks ?)
Old 02-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #33
upthesaukee

Default PAC's

I don't know M-n-M... I think that will just generate a PAC or two from another side of the this whole situation. There would be a group that would call themselves RATS (Rafters Against These Statutes). And the third group that comes to mind is the group that wants to ban rafting altogether (they may be out there already under a different name) and they would call themselves BRAT (Ban Rafting All Together).
Old 02-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #34
KTO

Maybe some common sense would destroy the whole issue. . .
Old 02-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #35
ApS

Angry Our "Visitors" speak out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO
<> "...I believe that those people are mainly the cause for rafting problems. Rafting should be stopped because of those people mentioned. I'm not saying I hate rafters in General, but mainly that I dislike rafters who over abuse their power, and I think it is they who ruin it for the rest of the rafters out there who want a fairly peaceful rafting experience.
Speaking about abusing Power, here's what the GFBL Marine Mafia is saying about Winnipesaukee's rafting problems.

Quote:
"What are they doing to stop the PR ..are they organized ?"
AND...

Quote:
"Unless it was about the [lake]water at the Naswa, that is kinda gnarly down that way, but with 200 people cocked and too lazy to walk to the can, what do you expect?"
(You can't make this stuff up. PM me, and I'll give you the URL -- direct).
ApS
Old 02-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #36
PROPELLER

Its not a stretch of my imagination Konachick. I was simply trying to determine how your idea could be implemented. There are 3 ways to gain access to the lake: Launching a boat for the day at a ramp, obtaining a slip or dry dock or owning water front property.

You presented the idea without explaining HOW to cut down the number of boats using the lake. Actually, if this idea was ever used, Fargo's system probably is the most fair & would work best. It would create some problems for island owners though.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #37
frank m.

Quote:
the GFBL Marine Mafia

what is the GFBL Marine Mafia?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:31 AM   #38
glennsteely

Default That one got me too....

Just so I know I am on the same page......RAFTING = tying anchored boats together to form sort of an island, on which to picnic, party ect.?

We used to do that at every fireworks show.

and.....what is this mafia?????
Old 02-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #39
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Ssssh KTO, you'll ruin the "fun"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO
Maybe some common sense would destroy the whole issue. . .
Egads man what are trying to do, upset the whole apple cart ? Actually I don't ever see much resolution to the larger issue as you've got 2 competing legitimate interests here and the lake doesn't lend itself to a 1 rule fits all situations. The extreme positions on either side (no boats off my shoreline and party harder dude) won't ever see eye to eye so I guess the existing regs (because they represent a form of compromise) will stay in place, perhaps with some additional noise enforement. The proposed reg (lakewide NRZ) will fail, and continue to fail in the near term, because there will be enough places and times where it isn't applicable and because it doesn't do anything more than the existing, status quo, RSA.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #40
KonaChick

If Tony Soprano tries to raft The Stugots off my dock with some of his "made" friends I suppose the only thing I could do would be to whip up some of my best gravy and climb aboard and join the party. YOU try telling Tony he has to move it along and raft somewhere else!!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #41
ApS

Default Perhaps the "Dark Side" of lobbying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank m.
what is the GFBL Marine Mafia?
"GFBL" is BoatUS' name for Go Fast Be Loud.

The "Marine Mafia" is the premiere (you should pardon the expression) GFBL Forum. A nickname. Nasty place...makes you want to take a shower after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminem :)
Actually I don't ever see much resolution to the larger issue as you've got 2 competing legitimate interests here and the lake doesn't lend itself to a 1 rule fits all situations.
A few sandy islands would be acceptable -- say, at Middle Ground Shoals.

But I see something behind the scenes -- much bigger and sinister -- than a few lakefront dwellers "driving" this initiative.

...and I think some others see it too.

Last edited by ApS; 02-16-2005 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I'm in enough trouble...
Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #42
windham17

I am not sure why this is such a complex issue. I boat and love the lake. I also raft from time to time. Just one persons view, but why not let rafting be allowed up to 3 boats and then perhaps a few more in designated areas. Rafting with a few boats makes for a great time. When you get 10+ boats together it becomes a nuisance. Not to say you cant have clusters of rafters, but do it in designated areas that doesnt impeed others on the lake. This shouldnt be that complicated...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #43
CL 240 LS

Default Braun Bay Rafting

Betsey Patten of Moultonborough BOS is planning to file bill to ban rafting in Braun Bay.

http://www.moultonborough.org/Pages/...11-19-2009.pdf
Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #44
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Unhappy Not surprise

It's been going on for quite a while.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #45
littlebear

ugh I hate rafting, all I see all summer is people in huge yachts rafting on the harbor in long island. I've even had people try to do it outside my house.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #46
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebear View Post
ugh I hate rafting, all I see all summer is people in huge yachts rafting on the harbor in long island. I've even had people try to do it outside my house.
Oh boy, you opened yourself up for some criticism now. I'll start. Everybody has the right to raft even in front of YOUR house. A little discretion of course but please.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #47
lawn psycho

Quote:
It's a lake. Boats use the lake. Boats have anchors. The lake is State property. The people using the lake are not there simply to try and rain on your parade but to enjoy the lake. If all they are doing is anchoring and enjoying the day then you should not be getting upset IMO.

My recommendation is find a way to live with it or if it grinds on you that much than find another house.

I for one am watching everytime these no-rafting petitions come up and can assure you that they won't be met without opposition. In the past they seemed to slip under the radar. No more.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #48
mhtimber

This is a timeless topic, it will always be with us and it will become more of an issue as demand continues to outstrip available supply. The biggest challenge we face is too much pressure on a very finite resource.

I like the model you see on the coast and in Canada, at least on Lake Memphramagog, on the Quebec side of the lake. On Memphramagog the town, or Fed govt., makes public moorings available on a first come / first serve basis and you can even stay overnight (not sure of the limit on # of days but there is one, a few days). They also ban anchoring and they enforce it. This enables them to plan and balance between the needs of boaters and land owners. Having experienced this first hand for a summer I really enjoyed it; especially being able to stay out overnight on the lake without fear of being rousted by marine patrol, fined, and sent packing at O-dark-thirty. It's the same model on the coast, many towns have public day moorings, first come / first serve, that you can also overnight on; there are designated anchoring areas and many other areas where anchoring is specifically prohibited. NH should look at adopting similar models for inland lakes.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #49
littlebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Oh boy, you opened yourself up for some criticism now. I'll start. Everybody has the right to raft even in front of YOUR house. A little discretion of course but please.
I'm talking about two feet from shore in front of my house, that's a little excessive.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #50
Jonas Pilot

It's still public water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #51
NH_boater

I am against ALL no rafting zones and they limit where folks can anchor and enjoy public water. I know swimmers can go right up to shore anytime but it is wrong to eliminate specific areas of the lake from the public that owns it. This is especially true for families with younger children who could enjoy shallower water on the sand bars.

I also do not agree with sporadic enforcement, from none to strict from day to day.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #52
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I'm talking about two feet from shore in front of my house, that's a little excessive.
You didn't say that in your post,you simply mentioned people TRY TO DO IT outside your house.If you read my post I said a little discretion of course.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #53
MikeF-NH

I think you can see this topic pretty evenly split between those who own lake front property and those who do not. As a "trailer boater", I see many lakes in NH where the owers associations have taken significant steps to limit access to the water body they live on despite the State assuring us that these are public resources.

As long as we continue to view Winni as a public resource, it should be completely open for all legal public uses as long as safety and ordinances are adhered to. MP should police this with that in mind... The view from my side of the subject is "if you build on a lake, you should expect John Q public in your front yard (off your shoreline). If John Q is disturbing the peace, littering or breaking other laws, MP should deal with that just as they would if someone was breaking a law on the street in front of your house. It's amazing how diffucult it is for non-shorefront owners to get our families swimming on public waters in this state unless we anchor off shore (not a great option for young families). Each shore front owner should remember that this is not "your lake" it's the State's lake and you own to the shoreline and nothing more. The fish under your dock are not your fish and the water between your dock and your raft is not your water.

I think things are already restrictive enough on NHs public waters without yet another law restricting use of this resource that targets "non-lakefront owners". I think this is a healthy topic and agree that if I owned property on the lake, I wouldn't be excited about 20 boats floating off my beach but as long as they are not disturbing the peace, climbing up on my beach or breaking other laws, I would respect their rights and understand that this is part of what I purchased (if I bought land at the end of an airport, I would expect noisy planes flying over).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (07-15-2011), Grandpa Redneck (07-14-2011), gtagrip (07-19-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #54
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I think you can see this topic pretty evenly split between those who own lake front property and those who do not. As a "trailer boater", I see many lakes in NH where the owers associations have taken significant steps to limit access to the water body they live on despite the State assuring us that these are public resources.

As long as we continue to view Winni as a public resource, it should be completely open for all legal public uses as long as safety and ordinances are adhered to. MP should police this with that in mind... The view from my side of the subject is "if you build on a lake, you should expect John Q public in your front yard (off your shoreline). If John Q is disturbing the peace, littering or breaking other laws, MP should deal with that just as they would if someone was breaking a law on the street in front of your house. It's amazing how diffucult it is for non-shorefront owners to get our families swimming on public waters in this state unless we anchor off shore (not a great option for young families). Each shore front owner should remember that this is not "your lake" it's the State's lake and you own to the shoreline and nothing more. The fish under your dock are not your fish and the water between your dock and your raft is not your water.

I think things are already restrictive enough on NHs public waters without yet another law restricting use of this resource that targets "non-lakefront owners". I think this is a healthy topic and agree that if I owned property on the lake, I wouldn't be excited about 20 boats floating off my beach but as long as they are not disturbing the peace, climbing up on my beach or breaking other laws, I would respect their rights and understand that this is part of what I purchased (if I bought land at the end of an airport, I would expect noisy planes flying over).
Hi Mike
WHile I fully agree with you about the lake status, some restraint should be practiced and maybe even inforced with regards to anchoring up right in front of someone's property instead of being right up on them, but that is just me, as for rafting see no reason why it has to be banned, I do not like to raft myself just because of the amount of free board I have on my boat does not really allow for it, but I would not mind doing it with friends in sand bar areas or the like if we could match up without hurting each other's boat. One reason being is that there are public/town beaches available for those that do not have lakefront property so it is open to everyone

I dunno maybe a 150foot buffer or something when it is private lake front property or something, I do not have the answer, but as far as rafting these is no reason for it not to happen if people wish to do it
Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #55
VtSteve

Default Way to Necropost

But it picked up like it never ended, so no foul.

This is a topic similar to towns that have a lot of on street parking. Many people get irritated when others park right in front of their house, on the street. It's a funny topic as well.

There are many that would love to have a law on Winnipesaukee that no boat can have an anchor on board (except their own boats)

The funny part is when you listen to people that have these NIMBY attitudes towards their own spaces, but can in an act absolutely horrible manner when they're in someone else's backyard. You know the ones. Always complaining about someone or somebody, whether it be an occasional party, maybe two boats anchored, whatever. When they go on vacation or visiting, they'll be the obnoxious ones hooting and hollering, probably after hours when people are trying to sleep. I'll bet at least ten people smiled at that thought? Be honest, you know one don't you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (07-18-2011), Winnisquamguy (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #56
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I think you can see this topic pretty evenly split between those who own lake front property and those who do not.
I do not think the split is as clean as some may think. I am a lake front property owner and I believe there should not be NRZ's. I would support a limit of 3 or 4 boats to a raft, lake-wide, to avoid navigation congestion but I do not think there should be restrictions for 'small' rafts and I do not support any 'no anchoring zones' keeping craft 150ft or any other distance from shore. I believe the lake is public property for public use, not the privileged use of land owners (myself included).

I have not seen any long rafts, more than 3 boats. I have seen them on other lakes and they can be an impressive obstacle.

I would support stronger enforcement for trespassing on private land, dogs relieving themselves on private land, littering, excessive noise or inappropriate behavior such as public nudity or public intoxication. All of which are already covered by existing laws or statues.

I bought my lake front land with full awareness that I am buying property in front of a 'state park' and all the fun that comes with it. I believe that all land owners bought the same way, but some would now like to quarantine their corner for their private use. Don't like the lake activity, you are perfectly free to move.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-19-2011), Grandpa Redneck (07-19-2011), tis (07-19-2011), winnisummergal (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #57
SIKSUKR

Coming from a non lakefront owner and one who trailers to Winni, I would never raft right in front of any lakefront home without a long distance from shore. No, I still don't raft unless there are no houses a good distance away. Saturday myself and my friends who do own on Paugus just rafted in the middle of the Broads unanchored. Love it out there!
AC2717 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #58
4Fun

Default reason for no rafting in East Cove

OK, here is a true story no one will believe.

We were anchored in East cove 2 weeks ago minding our own business about 100 yard from shore. 3 young adult guys and a girl came down to the beach at the back of the cove. There is no visible house but there is a swim raft anchored.

One of the guys proceeded to get naked and change in to his bathing suit in front of the 4-5 boats in the cove. OK, not so bad but then he decided he had to go #2. Right on the beach with his business end facing the water.

I only mention this since it's a no rafting zone. Maybe they don't want rafting so they can crap on their beaches??