Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Just Sold

Question Just How Un-Observant Can You Be

When we returning to Fay's today about 2:30 with lots of traffic in the Glendale area. There was an MP outside the Glendale docks at the point with his blue lights on and the boat he had pulled over. Then in the heavy traffic that is normal in this area another boater comes along behind us going well above headway speed (white foam in his wake) and way less than 150' from the MP. The MP uses his horn and motions to the boater who has a look like what?, me?, what did I do? and you can guess the rest. That boater was there for quite a while.

This was not the only blatant 150' rule violation in that area today. One passed us just outside of the No Wake Zone marker with a noticible wake and less than 40' away. Unfortunately the MP needed many helpers if he was going to catch the violators in this area. He was obviously going after the ones he could but others made it past him as he was dealing with the violator talked about here.

What gets me is just how out right dumb and careless these boaters were even with an MP boat with blue lights on in front of them. Hello....what do you think he is there for???? Just to show off his pretty lights?

Stupid is as stupid does and it was confirmed today. Lots of Stupid out in Glendale today.

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
ApS

Arrow MPs Were Everywhere this Sunday!

It's rare-enough to see any MP boat out front of our place on weekends, but Sunday drew several MPs, with at least two "blue-flashing-light" episodes:

One stop was for "no current registration" on a pontoon boat anchored peacefully nearby.

Another MP chased down a bow-rider in the late afternoon, resulting in a very long stop—reason unknown. The voices exchanged were quiet and respectful.

ETA:

Learned that his Navlights were out on the bow...

Last Friday, a twin-outboard MP was seen towing a huge log alongside. The log was about 65-feet long, and reportedly made the long trip back to Gilford—using just one engine. Another twin-engine MP was seen docked at Wolfeboro Town docks Sunday, about 1-PM.

Sunday morning, an MP boat cruised by here appearing like any other standard white bowrider—but if you looked closely there it was!

Last edited by ApS; 07-12-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: No Bow Navlights
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
challmec

Great Post..
I have been out several times over the past week and have seen the same thing over and over .. Either people cant judge the distance or they are ignorant of the law..

We all really have to be careful out there not to get caught up with the inexperienced boaters and just hope that they don't injure anyone.. I have seen countless instances where boats going at a good rate of speed get way too close to either sailboats or kayaks and canoes and swamp them really bad...

it makes for some interesting days out on the water..
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
jrc

Just Sold, that boat is a long way from the NWZ. Don't forget that the NWZ only exists South-West of the big new marker.

Now obviously your boat, like all boats is a moving NWZ. So if he passed within 40' he must be traveling slower than 6 mph. It looks like he is traveling right around that speed. He is allowed to make headway speed in a NWZ even if he makes a wake. He may be cheating a little at 7 or 8 mph but I think your wrong to call him out as unobservant. There are must more agregious violators everyday.

My boat is very similar to that boat (that isn't me), plus I slip in Smith Cove, plus I kayak in that area all the time. My boat makes a wake similar to that at headway or maybe a little above.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Betcha can't beat this Captain Bonehead story

We live in Suissevale. Were out on our kayaks on Friday, July 1 late in the day, around 5pm. So we are paddling around, and this bonehead boater (driving about 23 foot bowrider) is towing FOUR kids (legal limit is 2 people) on a big yellow inflatable... not only that, but there are two kids with life jackets sitting on the BOW of the boat with their legs dangling over the front - while the boat is moving. God save me.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Just Sold, that boat is a long way from the NWZ. Don't forget that the NWZ only exists South-West of the big new marker.

Now obviously your boat, like all boats is a moving NWZ. So if he passed within 40' he must be traveling slower than 6 mph. It looks like he is traveling right around that speed. He is allowed to make headway speed in a NWZ even if he makes a wake. He may be cheating a little at 7 or 8 mph but I think your wrong to call him out as unobservant. There are must more agregious violators everyday.
He was not the one specifically called out as un-observant. The one who got pulled over by the MP was the obvious un-observant operator. The cruiser in this case was, in my opinion, exceeding the 150' No Wake/6 MPH rule as it related to my boat but I never said that operator was not observant...just violating a rule. I said 40' away but I really think it was closer to 30' and well above a minimum manuvering speed. He knew we were there and he could see the MP who was much farther out from shore and he went over 150' to the right as he passed the MP boat.

BTW I was there getting ready to take pictures of the "Great Escape."

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-11-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed photo references
Old 07-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
jrc

I guess I follow you, but it seemed like you lumped them together. That Rinker still seems borderline versus headway speed, hard to tell from a picture and you were there.

Hope you post the Great Escape pictures, if that's the boat I think it is.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
He was not the one specifically called out as un-observant.
"This cruiser came within 40' of us (while we were not underway) at above wake speed. Operator was talking with their guests. Wish I had my camera out quicker."

You posted that under the picture of the boat. It clearly implies that is the boat that came too close to you.

I am going to remove that picture from Photopost since the accusation it contains is apparently not accurate. Even if it was accurate this site is not intended to "call out", identify, accuse or embarrass private individuals, especially with pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Skip (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
[B]Even if it was accurate this site is not intended to "call out", identify, accuse or embarrass private individuals, especially with pictures.
With all due respect Don if the above statement by you is truly how you feel then why did you allow the character assassination of the president of SBONH on your site during the speed limit debates?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-12-2011), chipj29 (07-12-2011), Pineedles (07-11-2011), ronc4424 (07-12-2011), topwater (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
We live in Suissevale. Were out on our kayaks on Friday, July 1 late in the day, around 5pm. So we are paddling around, and this bonehead boater (driving about 23 foot bowrider) is towing FOUR kids (legal limit is 2 people) on a big yellow inflatable... not only that, but there are two kids with life jackets sitting on the BOW of the boat with their legs dangling over the front - while the boat is moving. God save me.
I suggest that Bowriders are the problem and should be legislated out of existance....followed by Kayaks and Canoes.

THEN... we will be SAFE. NB
Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
NHBUOY

Riding IN a bow rider can be a dangerous thing on the confused water the weekends bring, children sitting on the bow with legs dangling ANYTIME is child endangerment..really dumb and asking for a tragedy.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
With all due respect Don if the above statement by you is truly how you feel then why did you allow the character assassination of the president of SBONH on your site during the speed limit debates?
In his role as president of SBONH he is a public figure, not a private individual who was minding his own business with his family. There is a big difference. The only problem with the original post was the picture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Mink Islander (07-15-2011), Skip (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default With all due respect

Don, a private citizen who is violating boating laws and putting families in harms way needs to be addressed to the public.
Grandpa Redneck (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Skip

Default Good call Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Don, a private citizen who is violating boating laws and putting families in harms way needs to be addressed to the public.
So, are you saying that anonymous posters and pictures now substitute for a private citizen's right to a judge or a jury before being adjudicated and outed as a supposed criminal?

Nope, as usual Don is exactly correct in his judgement and actions.

It amazes me how a handful of regular posters here continue to do their damndest to poison this wonderful and mostly family friendly site.

Once again thank you Don for stepping in and being the adult in this thread. Thankfully you only have to use your webmaster rights on such limited occasions!
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Mink Islander (07-15-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
jrc

While I agree with the Webmaster that calling out a specific person is a bad idea. I think the boat in that picture was pretty anonymous, there are dozens of Rinker cruisers on the lake, and no numbers, names or faces were visible.

The positive aspect of the picture, is that it was serving as a discussion point on how much wake is too much.

I'm surprised by Skip use of "poison" in regards to this thread. Since Don moved all the issues, to this section, things seem to work pretty smooth. I can argue with people down here and still be family friendly on top.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-13-2011), DEJ (07-12-2011), ronc4424 (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
A private citizen who is violating boating laws and putting families in harms way needs to be reported to the Marine Patrol. There is no way to know if accusations against individuals posted on this forum are accurate or fair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Mink Islander (07-15-2011), Skip (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
4Fun

Quote:
A private citizen who is violating boating laws and putting families in harms way needs to be reported to the Marine Patrol. There is no way to know if accusations against individuals posted on this forum are accurate or fair.
Does anyone really think that guy in the Rinker was putting people in harms way? Even if he passed 10 ft by another boat it's maybe rude but certainly not unsafe. I don't think that was Just solds point...

I could have taken the EXACT same picture going in to Wolfeboro Sunday but the boat in question would have been a NHMP RIB going maybe 8-9MPH within 150ft. There was no danger then either just the frustration that if I was doing it I would be paying a ticket right now...

Let's use the laws to keep things safe not to nit pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
DEJ (07-12-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Apology

I apologize for my reaction to this Don. I'm just upset that there are folks on the lake that takes the enjoyment of the lake away from those who are truly law abiding. How come when BI calls the marine patrol on a GFBL in a no wake zone and the area is swarming with p-boats! I have posted elsewhere that my host and a number of his neighbors called the MP numerous times in numerous days to take care of a bunch of 'wild' PWC owners in Glidden Cove. They were traveling at a high rate of speed between the island and mainland, with young children swimming in the area! The p-boats were no where to be found!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
VtSteve

Quote:
Which is why those posters continued to do it

Everyone makes a mistake at some point, and most are pretty good-natured about it and correct or admit them.

I agree with many that the cruiser wasn't doing any real harm. But I also know how irritating it is to see so many infractions every single day, all summer long.

I think Over Reaction occurred in this thread, which went away as quickly as it started. Skip, was there really a reason for you to brown nose and use the term "poison"? I mean really? You, yourself have placed many Thanks under the poisonous posts of many thread trolls. Just sayin....
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Skip (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Skip

Thumbs up If the nose fits....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
...Skip, was there really a reason for you to brown nose...
Brown nose?

Actually I prefer the term "suck up", or "one of Don's little minions"...but brown nose will do. I'll wear that moniker proudly. Hey, I even have time to make that into a T-shirt I can proudly wear at the upcoming ForumFest!

Ya know, if I got the chance I'd even polish Don's shoes, but the darn guy only seems to wear sneakers. Oh well, maybe I'll just bring one of those Clorox pens or sponges to the FF and give them a good swipe if he happens to get any grass stains or stumbles into some dog poo!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-13-2011), Mink Islander (07-15-2011), RamJet (07-16-2011), VtSteve (07-13-2011), webmaster (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #21
NHBUOY

Exclamation

I'll skip commenting on the brown-nose/poison/picture thing, and cut to the chase regarding my observations of my days on the water last week:
> "most" don't know, or care, who is stand-on & give-way.
> it is way quieter out there.
> mid-week boating is less stressful and restrictive than week-ends.
> what is the rush to a NWZ all about.
> why the rude attitudes and questionable course changes.
My 22 yo son and I spent time out there in a number of different boats this week and, if you'ld like, I will expand, and explain my findings with examples we both discussed and observed. I think you will find it quite "entertaining" and informative. Just ask.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
VtSteve

Default Fair Enough Skip

No harm no foul.

Have you tried the Magic Erasers?

All in fun man, all in fun.