Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
streetertina

Default Thurston's Marine

Has anyone heard what is up with Thurston's there are no cobalt boats there outside or in the showroom. Are they closing?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I thought I had seen the lit up sign saying something about new owners? Maybe I am just imagining it though as I am usually paying attention to that weird intersection......
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

I just had my boat serviced at Thurston's and there was no mention of anything out of the ordinary. I certainly hope things stay as is as. Thurston's is a real professional place who's servicing is second to none.

Dan
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
AC2717

Nothing going on there, same owners
There is a back order on New Cobalts, Cobalts slowed production down due to economy and Thurstons was selling over all their inventory put a order in and was back ordered. They are thriving over there,

By the way, I am a very satisfied customer who interacts with them on a weekly basis (not for repairs lol) just because they are great people
JDeere (07-14-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Rentals

Not a great fan of Thurston's. Capt Bonehead rents his boats from there. Many have complained to the staff about it. They are still doing it!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Not a great fan of Thurston's. Capt Bonehead rents his boats from there. Many have complained to the staff about it. They are still doing it!
Now that's what I call painting everyone with the same broad brush! People can rent boats for 1/2 day, 1 day, or multiple days. They also rent slips when they are available. And Thurston's follows the law when renting to customers (licenses, safety, equipment, maps, instructions, inspections before each rental). I doubt that anyone goes to the counter and says "I'm Capt Bonehead, and I'm going to break all the rules, but give me a boat anyway" -- and if they did say that, I doubt Thurston's would rent to them.

Full disclosure -- I have never had a business deal with Thurston's, although I have been known -- in the past -- to rent boats and slips from others around the lake. Spending my money. Having a good time. And not intentionally disrupting the life of the permament residents, or causing anyone any heartburn as a result of my temporary status as a vacationer.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Before we owned a boat we were frequent renters. We followed the rules and were perhaps overly cautious due to our inexperience and fear of the unknown. Achieving the rank of the Capitan requires more a lack of concern and judgment than a lack of ownership or experience. That being said, certainly combining both can make for a terrificly bad combination and a Captain deserving of a salute.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
ishoot308

Default ???

Quote:
That's a poor excuse for disliking a marina. Can you name one boat rental marina that hasn't rented to "Captain Bone head"... I don't think there is a question on the temporary boating exam that say's "check here if your Capt. Bone Head"...

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-20-2010 at 08:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
robmac

IMHO,I have done business with the Thurston family going back to early 90s. I have always found them to be honest,friendly and above all responsible in all of their business practices. You can't blame a business for being in business when they are both vocal and vigilant about safe boating on the lake if someone who does rent from them or another facility with all the needed info breaks a rule they shouldn't be held solely accountable.Wasn't that the purpose of a boating certificate? Alot of marinas rent and once their customer leaves the dock you can only pray your instinct they will operate safely will prevail. I am not related nor do I have any affiliation with them, just another great family trying to make a living on the lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Temp Certificate

I have a bigger issue with the loophole that allows for those "temporary" boating certificates.

I have a feeling that some people get one every year. It is part of many of the rental yards' advertising that they offer temp certificates.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I have a bigger issue with the loophole that allows for those "temporary" boating certificates.

I have a feeling that some people get one every year. It is part of many of the rental yards' advertising that they offer temp certificates.
Vita;

I believe they are only good for 3 days, but not certain.

Dan
Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Vita;

I believe they are only good for 3 days, but not certain.

Dan
They are good for 14 days.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
NoRegrets

There is a shortage of boats created by the cut back on manufacturing for the past 3 years. I wonder if this isn't the reason for your observation. i know Irwins board and on hand inventory is the smallest that I have seen in the 10 years I have been at the lake.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
They are good for 14 days.
Thanks G.B.G. I stand corrected.

Dan
Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Floor Planning

One of the reasons that marinas all over the country (Winnipesaukee included) have cut back on new inventory is the high cost of floor planning. That is the interest paid on inventory until it sells. Any dealer that does not pay cash for new product must finance it through the manufacturer or large commercial finance companies like G.E Capital.
Because sales numbers are currently much lower than in many previous years the additional cost to have that brand new boat in your showroom for 12 to 18 months has a significant impact on the bottom line of any marina. That carrying cost is the primary reason why many boat, automobile and R.V dealers are reducing their inventory.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
Misty Blue

Default Funny Thurston's story...

A few years ago I was doing a job at Thurston's and a rental came in with only 1/2 of it's out drive. 'Lower unit sheared off at the water pump.

The wife was furious at having to pay for the damage, around seven hundred bucks, which seemed reasonable to me.

As her husband was trying to find a rock to hide under the wife claimed that it was not their fault because the "litle dashes on the "map" that you gave us that shows which side of the "posts" to go on were not out there"!

You can't make this stuff up!

Misty Blue.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #17
Winni P

Default Not all renters are Capt Boneheads...

Quote:

Please don't ASSUME that we are Capt Boneheads when you see us in our rental boat from Thurstons. I have been at the lake evey summer since the 1970s with my parents and their boat. I grew up helping my dad navigate Winni. Then dad sold the boat. Now that I am married with my own family, it just hasn't made financial sense for us to purchase a boat, so we rent every year. Believe me, the 1st year of renting was a difficult one to our egos but it was far better than not being on Winni at all...
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
RailroadJoe

Not sure if this should appear here, but I thought too good to not post it somewhere.

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly, rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn), and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife,Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-12-2010), Lucky1 (07-19-2010), NoRegrets (07-12-2010), nvtngtxpyr (07-14-2010), Ropetow (07-14-2010), Sue Doe-Nym (07-14-2010), XCR-700 (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Default Guess I am a bit Hasty

I'm not calling all renters Boneheads. I've just seen too many renters, especially the jetskiers around the Weirs area being a bit too bold for my taste. I also rent on Havasu and Lake Norman.

What bothers me, as stated on another thread on this site, is the attitude of a certain Thurston Marine employee or owner? I was nearly clipped by a pontoon rental leaving the marina one weekend. I approached a very heavy set man up in the showroom wearing a Thurston Marine polo. Ask if he is the manager and he said yes. I told him what happened ouside and he sort of chuckled, thought it was funny. I don't think it is funny. he says there is nothing he can do.

I strongly feel, renters should take the full safety course. I think the temporary safety certificate is a joke.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
jrc

My most recent encounter with a rented boat was mid-week. As I approached the northern end of the channel between Mark and Timber a boat well ahead of me went to the shore side of the black markers there. I was too far away to warn them. They stopped suddenly after noticing the rocks. Turned left towards deeper water and the crossed the channel to the shore side of the red marker! By now I was close so I gave them five blasts of the horn. They proceeded to deeper water.

Last edited by jrc; 07-13-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: bad memory
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
dpg

I strongly feel, renters should take the full safety course. I think the temporary safety certificate is a joke.

It'll never happen, to much $$ involved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-12-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #22
WakeboardMom

If you go to the Cobalt website, and then click on "dealer locator," you get directed to East Coast Flightcraft. I think it's possible that Thurstons is no longer a Cobalt dealer.

Edit to say that I tried again and Thurston did pop up.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #23
VtSteve

I think you're being way to hard on the renters per se BH. I'm sure many are relatively new to boating, I don't know. But to suggest that the full course would improve their skills? I see what happens everyday on the roadways, so I remain unconvinced.

Besides, there are people on the water with years of experience, some with one year, some with many, that simply are not good at driving boats. Many of these folks presumably have taken the full course, so.....

So BH, what's the cost of boat rentals out at Havasu and Lake Norman?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I think you're being way to hard on the renters per se BH. I'm sure many are relatively new to boating, I don't know. But to suggest that the full course would improve their skills? I see what happens everyday on the roadways, so I remain unconvinced.

Besides, there are people on the water with years of experience, some with one year, some with many, that simply are not good at driving boats. Many of these folks presumably have taken the full course, so.....

So BH, what's the cost of boat rentals out at Havasu and Lake Norman?
Steve,

I understand your point but allowing someone to boat on Winni without some training (which is what studying for the certificate was for me) is criminal. See Misty Blue's post above for the reason I feel this way.

All of the compliant boaters had to take it, why should renting a boat allow one to skip this learning opportunity.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #25
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Do you really think it's fair to chastise a dealer for providing rentals? Has anyone ever considered that by doing so helps keep the doors open and provides a very important revenue stream for them? Geeze folks lighten up a bit, at least the place is open, employing people and helping in drawing tourist dollars into the area. All good things especially the way things are today!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
Jmo77011

Default ?

Quote:
I'm not calling all renters Boneheads. I've just seen too many renters, especially the jetskiers around the Weirs area being a bit too bold for my taste. I also rent on Havasu and Lake Norman.

What bothers me, as stated on another thread on this site, is the attitude of a certain Thurston Marine employee or owner? I was nearly clipped by a pontoon rental leaving the marina one weekend. I approached a very heavy set man up in the showroom wearing a Thurston Marine polo. Ask if he is the manager and he said yes. I told him what happened ouside and he sort of chuckled, thought it was funny. I don't think it is funny. he says there is nothing he can do.

I can understand that you felt upset, but what exactly were you hoping would happen? What could the manager have done?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #27
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Steve,

I understand your point but allowing someone to boat on Winni without some training (which is what studying for the certificate was for me) is criminal. See Misty Blue's post above for the reason I feel this way.

All of the compliant boaters had to take it, why should renting a boat allow one to skip this learning opportunity.
Yeah, nice story. But in real life, many people that live on the lake and boat aren't that much brighter. Really. I've witnessed people with ten years experience that couldn't tell a wave from a ham sandwich. People are waaaaay too serious about the "boater education".
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #28
Mee-n-Mac

Wink I don't get it

Quote:
Yeah, nice story. But in real life, many people that live on the lake and boat aren't that much brighter. Really. I've witnessed people with ten years experience that couldn't tell a wave from a ham sandwich. People are waaaaay too serious about the "boater education".
Shirley you jest.

not

Both are "dishes" but I can tell the difference.

I could write a book (OK, mebbe a short story) about the boating wrongs on Winni (and I suspect most other places) but it really comes down to the nut behind the wheel seems looser these days than 30 years ago ... and that's true on the roads as well. Most people just want to do enough to get by and not expend the energy req'd to "master" anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-13-2010), DRH (07-14-2010), VitaBene (07-13-2010), VtSteve (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #29
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Kinda funny you should bring that up. I came across a Thurston's renter just yesterday. I was pulling into the Center Harbor docks to go to the hardware store. I was about half way between the 150' marker and the dock and I hear an outboard motor rev'd way up. I looked up and saw a boat full of people trying to dock on one of the side docks. He kept shifting between forward and reverse and each time he'd gun it instead of just putting in gear. Whenever he went into reverse he did it with such gusto that water would pour over the transom. There was a guy in the bow trying to grab for a post when he shot backwards again, almost sending him into the drink. There was a boat in the adjacent slip that I thought sure he would smash into on his next attempt. Cautiously, I approached (with the safety of a dock between us) and suggested that it might be easier to dock in the front slip instead where there were no other boats. I also offered my advice to try it more slowly. He agreed that maybe he was trying to go too fast. I had docked and tied up just as he was now attempting to dock on the outside slip. This time he got about 5' away then cut the engine and let it drift in. Before I could offer a hand the guy on the bow jumped out with a line in his hand and was able to bring them in. Fun stuff.

I wouldn't know if Thurstan's is any different with their rental policy than anybody else but I would think they would all make sure that their boats are being operated by somebody who at least has a clue as to how to do so.
BroadHopper (07-13-2010), Lucky1 (07-19-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #30
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Kinda funny you should bring that up. I came across a Thurston's renter just yesterday. I was pulling into the Center Harbor docks to go to the hardware store. I was about half way between the 150' marker and the dock and I hear an outboard motor rev'd way up. I looked up and saw a boat full of people trying to dock on one of the side docks. He kept shifting between forward and reverse and each time he'd gun it instead of just putting in gear. Whenever he went into reverse he did it with such gusto that water would pour over the transom. There was a guy in the bow trying to grab for a post when he shot backwards again, almost sending him into the drink. There was a boat in the adjacent slip that I thought sure he would smash into on his next attempt. Cautiously, I approached (with the safety of a dock between us) and suggested that it might be easier to dock in the front slip instead where there were no other boats. I also offered my advice to try it more slowly. He agreed that maybe he was trying to go too fast. I had docked and tied up just as he was now attempting to dock on the outside slip. This time he got about 5' away then cut the engine and let it drift in. Before I could offer a hand the guy on the bow jumped out with a line in his hand and was able to bring them in. Fun stuff.

I wouldn't know if Thurstan's is any different with their rental policy than anybody else but I would think they would all make sure that their boats are being operated by somebody who at least has a clue as to how to do so.
All the places that rent are about the same. I do not think that Thurston's is any worse or any better than any of the others. Bottom line is they have invested in boats to rent, and if they do not rent these boats, they lose money.

As far as boat service goes, Thurston's is top quality in my opinion. But, this is not the issue here.

The hard part for me to rationalize is that when the "unspeakable law" was being debated/supported, many of these rental marinas supported the "unspeakable law" in the interest of safety. WHAT CRAP in my opinion. If they cared one bit about safety, they would take the renters out and see if they could safely operate a boat. If they did that, in many cases, the only rational assessment would be the potential renter had no experience and should not be on the lake.

I believe that some portion of the renters are very safe operators and well experienced boaters. These boaters are not the issue at all. Their boating conduct is appropriate and they are welcomed into the safe boating community.

That said, I have seen way too many of the rental boats from all the renting marinas out there creating unsafe conditions for me to conclude these rental marinas care one bit about safety. It is the profit from these renters that drive their decisions about renting. Business is business, do not let boating safety get in the way of profit. But, they all become hypocrites when it comes to supporting laws about boating safety. They opt to support new laws that have nothing to do about boating safety, and they do it in the interest of boating safety. Go figure!!

Think of the highways. What if Hertz and Avis where allowed to rent cars to people with no driving experience if these people passed a 20 question multiple choice questionere, and could retake the same questionere if they failed the first time, or the second or third time? How safe would our roads be if this was the case? Not safe at all in my opinion. However, in a more complex vehicle operational environment, boating on our lake, just pass the test and get on out there. Be cool and have fun!?

Life is very strange at times in my opinion.

R2B
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-14-2010), BroadHopper (07-14-2010), Ryan (07-14-2010), VitaBene (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #31
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
All the places that rent are about the same. I do not think that Thurston's is any worse or any better than any of the others. Bottom line is they have invested in boats to rent, and if they do not rent these boats, they lose money.

As far as boat service goes, Thurston's is top quality in my opinion. But, this is not the issue here.

The hard part for me to rationalize is that when the "unspeakable law" was being debated/supported, many of these rental marinas supported the "unspeakable law" in the interest of safety. WHAT CRAP in my opinion. If they cared one bit about safety, they would take the renters out and see if they could safely operate a boat. If they did that, in many cases, the only rational assessment would be the potential renter had no experience and should not be on the lake.

I believe that some portion of the renters are very safe operators and well experienced boaters. These boaters are not the issue at all. Their boating conduct is appropriate and they are welcomed into the safe boating community.

That said, I have seen way too many of the rental boats from all the renting marinas out there creating unsafe conditions for me to conclude these rental marinas care one bit about safety. It is the profit from these renters that drive their decisions about renting. Business is business, do not let boating safety get in the way of profit. But, they all become hypocrites when it comes to supporting laws about boating safety. They opt to support new laws that have nothing to do about boating safety, and they do it in the interest of boating safety. Go figure!!

Think of the highways. What if Hertz and Avis where allowed to rent cars to people with no driving experience if these people passed a 20 question multiple choice questionere, and could retake the same questionere if they failed the first time, or the second or third time? How safe would our roads be if this was the case? Not safe at all in my opinion. However, in a more complex vehicle operational environment, boating on our lake, just pass the test and get on out there. Be cool and have fun!?

Life is very strange at times in my opinion.

R2B
I am right on with this R2B
and trust me I am not one to stray from my opinions unless proven wrong, but I always seem to remember that we have all started out at one point or another and had to learn how to operate a boat.
Only difference is that those of that that are here as much as possible have had more practice either due to now owning a boat or renting multiple times

Come on now everyone stop being a boating Snob, as we have all been there at one point or another

by the way Thurston's Marina is one of the best out there and will probably will be there, as long as ownership does not change families, for years to come!
-which is what this thread was on to begin with
VtSteve (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #32
Happy Gourmand

Default I'm with you on this AC

Seems like a lot of folks are painting renters and those who rent boats with a pretty broad brush. I think we all need to be somewhat more tolerant and maybe even a little more helpful when we see what appears to be an inexperienced boater struggling to do something that seems easy for a more experienced boater.
I can think back on the many times that I have docked in a challenging crosswind as if my boat was on rails......I can also remember (although I try to forget) how many times I tried to do so in less challenging conditions when my boat didn't do anything I thought it should be doing and surely gave the impression to anybody watching that it was my first time out.
We've all been there.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #33
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default The big difference

Most of us who own and operate boats had the opportunity to learn from a friend or parent how to safely operate and dock a boat. They rode with us and coached us until we got it right.

The big difference with renters is that in most (not all) cases no one on the boat has any significant boating experience or Winnipesaukee specific experience. So when the renter makes mistakes there is no one aboard to offer direction or suggest corrections.

In many ways this works out to the detriment of safety on the lake but the boat rental companies are helped by that. Every time a renter brings a boat back it is inspected for damage and these rental boats are often damaged. The marina then bills the renter top dollar for the repairs, thereby increasing their profit. For the marinas, sending a cluless (Junior Captain Bonehead) operator out on the lake becomes a win-win situation.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #34
VtSteve

I agree. There are many, many times the "experienced" boaters on the waterways that really have limited skills. How many times have you seen a boat come into dock with someone throwing a line wildly to an attendant? We don't have hardly any rental boats over here, but plenty of boneheads. Most are just oblivious to what goes on around them.

Just going by the numbers, I'd have to say that inexperienced boaters on brand new boats outnumber renters by a very large number. Ditto for "experienced" boaters with limited skills in older boats. It's too bad that there isn't an on-water boat driving test for all new registrations. Piloting a boat on the water is quite different than the so-called boat tests taken in a classroom or online.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #35
WeirsBeachBoater

Default This might be just what the doctor ordered....

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...a=8&ajaxpipe=1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-19-2010), Resident 2B (07-14-2010), VtSteve (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #36
Resident 2B

WBB,

Interesting and good idea!!

Thanks!

R2B
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #37
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post

The hard part for me to rationalize is that when the "unspeakable law" was being debated/supported, many of these rental marinas supported the "unspeakable law" in the interest of safety. WHAT CRAP in my opinion.

But, they all become hypocrites when it comes to supporting laws about boating safety. They opt to support new laws that have nothing to do about boating safety, and they do it in the interest of boating safety. Go figure!!

R2B

I have read Jeff Thurston's testimony which was read at the senate/house hearing. To say the "unspeakable law" is all about safety is a serious oversimplification that has been used over and over by those opposed to said law. Safety is just one facet of why this law was passed.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #38
VtSteve

I can only imagine SOTD

At any rate, I wasn't aware of this.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meredi...5104656?v=wall

Great idea. Hopefully the prices aren't too limiting.

I think it should be mandatory in some way shape or form, as it is for automobiles.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #39
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Seems like a lot of folks are painting renters and those who rent boats with a pretty broad brush. I think we all need to be somewhat more tolerant and maybe even a little more helpful when we see what appears to be an inexperienced boater struggling to do something that seems easy for a more experienced boater.
I can think back on the many times that I have docked in a challenging crosswind as if my boat was on rails......I can also remember (although I try to forget) how many times I tried to do so in less challenging conditions when my boat didn't do anything I thought it should be doing and surely gave the impression to anybody watching that it was my first time out.
We've all been there.
I would absolutely agree that we should lend a hand if we can. I am more than happy to help out, either with advice or to grab a line. But I have to admit that I do paint them with a broad brush as well. Any time I see a rental on the open water, no matter what marina they are from, I do assume they are clueless and make a point of staying clear of them. I will always give them the right of way no matter which direction they are headed because I assume they have no idea. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #40
BroadHopper

Default So

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I have read Jeff Thurston's testimony which was read at the senate/house hearing. To say the "unspeakable law" is all about safety is a serious oversimplification that has been used over and over by those opposed to said law. Safety is just one facet of why this law was passed.
If Jeff Thurston is interested in safety, then he shouldn't be renting boats to folks without the proper safety certificate. I strongly feel he was for this unspeakable law to divert the attention from his renting to boneheads.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #41
AC2717

And what about the others, Meredith, Anchor, and the like across the lake
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #42
Pontoon Goon

Default Cheap Summertime entertainment

It's better than going the movies. Funny, sad, suspenseful, dramatic, on the edge of your seat entertainment. Any good weather Saturday about 4:00pm
pickup a bag of popcorn and pull behind Donna Jeans and the show starts as the rentals are all returning at the same time while also dealing with channel traffic. 90% of the damage on these returning boats are done within fifty feet of the marina. Coming in from the lake there is often congestion and renters are forced to Paugus Bay to turn around. On the return they panic because they now have to cut in between heavy traffic to get to the dock. Most cut in too early coming along the small island on the left. Fatal error, they don't call it the Granite State for nothin.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
It's better than going the movies. Funny, sad, suspenseful, dramatic, on the edge of your seat entertainment. Any good weather Saturday about 4:00pm
pickup a bag of popcorn and pull behind Donna Jeans and the show starts as the rentals are all returning at the same time while also dealing with channel traffic. 90% of the damage on these returning boats are done within fifty feet of the marina. Coming in from the lake there is often congestion and renters are forced to Paugus Bay to turn around. On the return they panic because they now have to cut in between heavy traffic to get to the dock. Most cut in too early coming along the small island on the left. Fatal error, they don't call it the Granite State for nothin.
I'll bet that's quite a show! That can be a tough place to turn into if you are not used to it, especially to a renter who is really not 100% familiar with the boat!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #44
Belmont Resident

Default getting there

Can't even begin to tell you how many times my wife and I have seen rental boats on the rocks trying to getting out of there.
Ya gotta feel bad for the poor people who just want to enjoy a little fun and end up taking out a prop before they even leave the place. The ones who do escape have no idea what they are doing half the time. They are expected to learn in 10 minutes what we learned over many years of boating.
That is why rental boats should not be allowed on this lake.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #45
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Can't even begin to tell you how many times my wife and I have seen rental boats on the rocks trying to getting out of there.
Ya gotta feel bad for the poor people who just want to enjoy a little fun and end up taking out a prop before they even leave the place. The ones who do escape have no idea what they are doing half the time. They are expected to learn in 10 minutes what we learned over many years of boating.
That is why rental boats should not be allowed on this lake.
I think that's a bit harsh. Just think, if APS had his way, there would be conoes and kayaks all over the lake at night, with No Lights And if they got into trouble with another boat, it's the other boat's fault.

Not a very big picture some people paint here. Trust me, most of the boneheads are in their own boats, not rentals. Simple law of numbers.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #46
Winnipesaukee

Default Umm...back on topic...

I spoke to Jeff Thurston and he told me that they had a fantastic week (that hot, 95+ degree week) and sold all but one Cobalt they had in stock. He seemed quite happy.

He explained it to me in depth, but I didn't catch all of it. I guess Cobalt can't produce enough boats to keep up with demand because they're having trouble getting enough raw materials.

And they prioritize their orders based on who they're for. If a dealer has a customer order a boat, they get placed in the front of the line, but if Thurston's just wanted to order boats to put on the floor, Cobalt would build and deliver "when they get to it."
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #47
streetertina

Default Thurston's no longer a Cobalt dealer

The signs are coming down at the marina. I have heard Cobalt is switching there line to Goodhue and Hawkins in Wolfeboro. I did look on the Cobalt dealer locator and Thurson's is no longer listed, but Goodhue and Hawkins is.

Last edited by streetertina; 07-18-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #48
Lakepilot

We own a Cobalt and that's great news.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #49
VtSteve

Cobalt has far less people working than they did a couple of years ago, same as most every boat maker. Some boat brands cut production entirely last year. Cobalt is a pricey boat, and has pretty limited production even in good years. Perhaps Thurstons wasn't the best match for Cobalt?

Dealers are under immense stress with floorplan rates being ridiculously high, boat prices rising at a time when the economy is still soft, and makers unable to produce a fraction of what they used to. This will not change for quite some time IMO. Limited quantities, higher prices, more "real" loans.

Back to normal IMO.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #50
paugusbay

Just heard over the weekend they lost their Cobalt dealership.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #51
AC2717

Just spoke with the Marina,
did not disclose with them that I would post something so I will just confirm that they and Cobalt decided to part ways due to contract negoiations and
what VT steve has just posted: "Dealers are under immense stress with floorplan rates being ridiculously high, boat prices rising at a time when the economy is still soft, and makers unable to produce a fraction of what they used to."
Something to the tune of Cobalt wanting them to sell at least twice as many boats next year as this year
Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #52
Tank151

Default Cobalt and Goodhue Hawkins

Goodhue Hawkins is now listed as a distributor of Cobalt Boats.

Premier Marine Group - Goodhue & Hawkins
244 Sewall Road
PO Box 853
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire 03894
Phone (603) 569-2371
Fax (603) 569-3728
General Magement steve@goodhueandhawkins.com
Sales brian@goodhueandhawkins.com
Service dan@goodhueandhawkins.com
goodhueandhawkins.com

Tank
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #53
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
I spoke to Jeff Thurston and he told me that they had a fantastic week (that hot, 95+ degree week) and sold all but one Cobalt they had in stock. He seemed quite happy.

He explained it to me in depth, but I didn't catch all of it. I guess Cobalt can't produce enough boats to keep up with demand because they're having trouble getting enough raw materials.

And they prioritize their orders based on who they're for. If a dealer has a customer order a boat, they get placed in the front of the line, but if Thurston's just wanted to order boats to put on the floor, Cobalt would build and deliver "when they get to it."
Manufacturers have gone through a real pounding. They now have to gear up for the 2011 model year, and generate enough boats to fill dealer demand for this summer/fall, not usually a great selling season. Cobalt never produced that many boats to begin with, not a high volume maker. Most makers have backlog dealer demand, and they like it that way. It keeps prices high, payrolls steady, overhead low, and keeps good dealers in business.

Thurstons already went through their 2010 blowout, and have to gauge for this coming boat show season. So think of a line that would fit that particular dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-20-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #54
VitaBene

Default Lot of Cobalts

Quote:
Manufacturers have gone through a real pounding. They now have to gear up for the 2011 model year, and generate enough boats to fill dealer demand for this summer/fall, not usually a great selling season. Cobalt never produced that many boats to begin with, not a high volume maker. Most makers have backlog dealer demand, and they like it that way. It keeps prices high, payrolls steady, overhead low, and keeps good dealers in business.

Thurstons already went through their 2010 blowout, and have to gauge for this coming boat show season. So think of a line that would fit that particular dealer.
Is Cobalt not as popular on other parts of the country or lakes? Just curious because I see a lot of Cobalts on Winni.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #55
ishoot308

Why would another marina on Winni have better luck selling Cobalts??... Thurstons has a very busy location, good sales people and great service after the sale. Boat sales are down everywhere not just in the Weirs! Goodhue and Hawkins Navy Yard is also a great marina with good service, but I just don't see how they are going to sell any more boats than Thurston's did...

Dan
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #56
AC2717

Quote:
Why would another marina on Winni have better luck selling Cobalts??... Thurstons has a very busy location, good sales people and great service after the sale. Boat sales are down everywhere not just in the Weirs! Goodhue and Hawkins Navy Yard is also a great marina with good service, but I just don't see how they are going to sell any more boats than Thurston's did...

Dan
Could look at it this way and could be as plain and simple as this but I doubt it
Wolfoboro area is not the cheap side of the lake??
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #57
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Could look at it this way and could be as plain and simple as this but I doubt it
Wolfoboro area is not the cheap side of the lake??
Yes, but in this economy it's the more wealthy that are selling off their extra homes and toys. Most of their money is tied up in investment purchases in real estate or the market. Lord knows both of those have taken a big hit over the past couple years!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #58
TomC

Default tie-in with eastcoast flightcraft

Quote:

Dan
G&H : cobalt, fountain, malibu (and ebbtide and tahoe for now?)
ECFC: cobalt, fountain, malibu

I bought my Cobalt at ECFC in Massachusetts and when I needed "on-lake" warranty service, they sent me to G&H (Thurstons was "not enthusiastic" about helping me which I understand since I didn't buy the boat there - i would have if they could have matched ECFC's price). There is some association between the two.. maybe co-ownership or maybe just informal, but there is some relationship there.

If G&H/ECFC is seen as a single dealer by the manufacturer, maybe they'll move enough boats between the two locations to satisfy the volume CObalt is looking for. My friends and I have bought 4-5 Cobalts and ECFC's prices were much lower - like 10-20%
Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #59
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

While I see Tom's point about something between ECFC and G&H... There is also just the fact that sometime business plans just don't align. My guess is that Cobalt wanted some changes and Thurston's wasn't willing to go along with them. Changes could be anything from, stop selling these other boat brands... to if you are going to be a dealer you are going to do X Y and Z... and if Y doesn't suit you, then we will find someone else to sell our boats.
Other times it is just as simple as, we want to let someone else try to sell our boats good bye.

Things have been Changing at Thurston's and while I am sure they will continue to be a thriving Marina... We just have to wait and see what they bring in Next.
ishoot308 (07-20-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #60
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow And on that note

Quote:
... Dealers are under immense stress with floorplan rates being ridiculously high, ...
It's prolly why Shep Browns has departed it's Gilford Store, though it's still on their website. Isn't it a home furniture place now ?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #61
GTO

Default this just in.....

Quote:
Just spoke with the Marina,
did not disclose with them that I would post something so I will just confirm that they and Cobalt decided to part ways due to contract negoiations and
what VT steve has just posted: "Dealers are under immense stress with floorplan rates being ridiculously high, boat prices rising at a time when the economy is still soft, and makers unable to produce a fraction of what they used to."
Something to the tune of Cobalt wanting them to sell at least twice as many boats next year as this year

I just heard from a very reliable source that the owner of East Coast Flightcraft on Rte 104 will be an official Cobalt dealer, but he is looking for a new location around the lake
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #62
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I just heard from a very reliable source that the owner of East Coast Flightcraft on Rte 104 will be an official Cobalt dealer, but he is looking for a new location around the lake
See post#59 above?

and this on the Cobalt site

http://www.cobaltboats.com/v11/your_...3246&group=pmg

Last edited by VtSteve; 07-31-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add link
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #63
sea_n_ski

Default Thurstons was too expensive

When I brought my deal with ECFC for my Cobalt to Thurstons they couldn't come within $20K of it (including trade). I couldn't understand why anyone would buy a Cobalt from them at that price difference. My bet was they just couldn't move enough boats. Danny probably sells more Cobalts on the Lake from his Middleton, MA location then Thurston did in the Wiers. I know a number of people who opted to go down to MA for their Cobalt. They also sell them up in ME as well. Their service is expensive, but they provide quality work. They will do really well on the lake. I personally am glad they are finally here.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #64
Resident 2B

Two plus years ago, I decided I needed a bigger boat. I narrowed it down to a Cobalt 282 or a Sea Ray 270 SLX. I started shopping around and got a great price from ECFC on the Cobalt, $18,000 less than the price from Thurston's, a place that I had been storing and servicing my ex-boat with for several years over the winter. I tried to work with Thurston's because of the excellent relationship I had with them, but they would not lower their price at all.

I did not want to get into a situation where I purchased a Cobalt from ECFC and needed service on the lake from Thurston's, so I ended up buying the Sea-Ray and I have been very happy with it, so far. However, I really wanted the Cobalt. I could walk to Thurston's in 5 minutes, so I wanted to buy from them.

With that experience, I can understand why Thruston's is no longer in the Cobalt business. I beileve they do excellent service work, but they lost me as a customer.

R2B
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #65
VtSteve

Some dealers have such a good, diverse business, they don't rely as much on top margin for their boat sales. Being right on the lake has it's advantages as well. But one of the hallmarks of any good dealer is service. If a dealer for any make of car or boat is tough to deal with because you bought elsewhere, they're not a good dealer IMO. As with cars, I'd rather have a happy service customer than none at all.

It appears some have the perception that Thurstons is not good to deal with unless you bought new from them.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #66
robmac

I have purchases two new boats from Thurstons in the past. I can say ( being in the auto business ) I am not the easiest when it comes down to the bottom line price. In my dealings with Jeff I found them to be both fair and upfront. Service was both prompt and efficient,all in all very satisfied. I no longer slip my boat there simply because I wanted to get out of dealing with the channel. I should mention I am not related or affiliated with them other than being a satisfied customer for many years. When shopping you should keep in mind that different dealers have varied costs ie,what the per square ft costs are for their facility which will change what you pay as well as floorplan for in stock inventory.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #67
winni4ever

Default Marine update in general at all marinas

After just being layed off from a local marinal on the west side of the lake, I probably have some answers that may answer a lot of people's questions , startle some folks and maybe do a little more looking before buying a new boat on the lake in the next year.
To start, Thurston's probably has one of the best reputations on the lake for sales and service. In my brief encounters in passing thru the years, they do a very credible job. Much to their credit and not known by all, they were honored ny Cobalt Boats in 2009 for having the highest CSI score in the region, the US and the entire worldwide dealer network. The highest honor anyone could receive. In case anyone did not know, the family that owned Cobalt boats for 40 years sold off over 50% of the company to a private equity firm, Rosewood Equity back in 2008. Anyboby in this economy knows that equity firms are in a position to take over companies, seat members on the board, pump up the number of boats produced and flip the company with inflated sales figures. Cobalt's national sales manager, no name given, is walking into 20 + yr Cobalt dealers and telling them that they have to buy an outrageous amount of inventory...more than they had ever sold in 20 years... in this economy....and if they didn't like it , see ya later. Thurstons look to have taken the smart route and said see ya.

As for East Coast Flightcraft, they are NOT a marina on the lake with full marina services and a tax bill to pay for waterfront property. They operate out of a steel building landlocked in Middleton Mass and an old wooden building in Meredith not even on the water. No wonder his prices are cheaper..no services to offer. For years, they have been launching boats that they sell at Googhue and Hawkins in wolfeboro even though they are NOT supposed to sell out of their territory. Now comes the good part, Goodhue and Hawkins is now listed as the Cobalt dealer as they were snookered into a deal with ECFC to sell off his inventory if ECFC was allowed to use their facilities.
It gets better, in 2007, ECFC became a Formula boat dealer for Massachusetts called Boats of Boston , renting space from Danversport Yacht Club in danvers Mass...again no taxes or real estate to own. They have been selling Formula's the same way using Goodhue Hawkins as a lauch ramp... great service.
Now, to no one's surprise, Lakeport Landing is NO LONGER a FORMULA dealer on the lake any longer. Formula Boats has been calling local marinas looking for a new dealer..... And it goes on, Monterey boats is calling marinas looking for a new dealer. What happened to Shep Brown's /?? And now Channel Marine has lost Crownline boats right after they come out of bankruptcy and Crownline is moving to Winnisquam Marine. What happen to four Winns that they sell?

And as of last weekend, as much as I hate RUMORS,Irwin Marine is about to announce something big..!!!! Could it be they are buying Lakeport?? One could only speculate. Wouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

My only reason for this post is to advice the general public to beware of all these boat builders and the games they re playing with all the local Marinas
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winni4ever For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-13-2010), Resident 2B (08-13-2010), VitaBene (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #68
ishoot308

winni4ever;

Eye opening to say the least! You have definitely have an inside track on the situation and bring up some very valid points. I appreciate you sharing the info.

Dan
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #69
gf2020

I wouldn't read too much in to Winnipesaukee area dealers changing their boat product lines. With all of the upheaval in the boating industry in the past three years, we will continue to see a general consolidation of brands and dealers in the near term.

At any rate, I suspect the vast majority of boats in the area were actually purchased elsewhere and brought to the lake. Heck, I actually purchased my boat from a Winnipesaukee dealer but I keep it in Boston Harbor.

As for dealers like East Coast Flightcraft being located inland with no on-water presence, that is a pretty common business model. Russo Marine in Medford, MA, is not on the water but that does not prevent them from selling a lot of Sea Ray and Boston Whaler boats. Likewise for New England Correct Craft in Rochester, NH, for their product lines, or numerous other boat dealers across the region.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #70
VtSteve

The boat makers, particularly the "new" owners of bankrupt brands, have definitely taken a different approach this year. The dealers are probably in about the worst positions possible in decades. If you don't have big bucks and capital, it will be a rough road indeed.

It's especially surprising that Cobalt would now require a large inventory, being a relatively small builder. My dealer won awards for CSI and was a top 100 dealer as well. Worst dealer experience in my life, and many others share the same feeling, as does the manufacturer

Floor plan costs are sky high now, with limited competition. Capital is key. Boat makers are holding all the cards now, and want maximum profit on bare bones costs. Dealers don't have much choice or say. Customers will have fewer choices as to good service and brand availability, not to mention model choice.

These things go in cycles, and this was a particularly bad one.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #71
Lakeport Landing Marina

Definition of rumor - A statement or opinion widely disseminated and alleged to be true though its veracity is unconfirmed.

After reading these posts and several others, we are amazed at how quickly negative hearsay can spread. Forums were originally established to be the modern equivalent of a traditional bulletin board and not a venue for gossip, individual’s opinions or someone’s soap box. It’s a shame how some people in society abuse, misunderstand and misconstrue the meaning behind our first amendment.

So it’s been a few days and the Purchase and Sale Agreement from Irwin Marine to buy Lakeport Landing never showed up. We waited patiently and thought perhaps they changed their minds…or wait…may be it was just a rumor??? At this point I think it’s safe to say Irwin’s “big announcement” may have been their annual tent sale…Surprised???

To anyone who may be curious enough to ask or obtuse enough to believe the “rumors,” let us confirm from the original source that Lakeport Landing Marina is here to stay. We have worked too hard for too long to give up now and our employees and customers mean far too much to us to let these types of rants go unnoticed. We appreciate the continued support of everyone who has worked with us and for us and look forward to many more years of continued service.

To our fellow marina owners on Lake Winnipesaukee who we have known and cared about for many years, we hope that you are having a prosperous and rewarding summer and look forward to seeing you soon.

Thank you,
Lakeport Landing Marina

Last edited by Lakeport Landing Marina; 08-17-2010 at 08:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lakeport Landing Marina For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-26-2010), PC31 (08-22-2010), Resident 2B (08-26-2010), rockythedog (08-20-2010), Seaplane Pilot (08-18-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #72
sunsationdave

From what i hear from formula. Lakeport is no longer a formula dealer parts/repair only. formula is looking for another dealer on the lake.I would like to see shep browns/ thurstons/ silver sands get the formula line or irwin
mabye goodhue/hawkins/ecfc will get it . we will find out soon
Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #73
VtSteve

Good to know you're still going strong Lakeport. My family did business with you, let's just say, decades ago

The Thurston's "rumor" was apparently true. Someone with one post only started a rumor about Lakeport no longer being a Formula dealer. I take that to be Untrue? Obviously, you squashed the Irwin buying Lakeport rumor.

Maybe your fellow marina owners can come here and squash whatever other rumors need to be squashed in that single post.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #74
sunsationdave

Default lakeport no longer formula dealer

Talked to a formula rep today. Lakeport will no longer be selling new formula boats. parts/service only. formula is looking for a new marina on winni to sell formula boats . We will all know soon who it will be . I want to order a new
350fx
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #75
robmac

Thanks LLM,didn't think a successful and profitable business would sell during these financial times. Just didn't make any sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
Lakeport Landing Marina (08-18-2010), PC31 (08-22-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #76
BroadHopper

Default Llm

I have dealt with LLM since the 60's. It does not surprise me that certain SL supporters will start rumors and give 'speed merchants' a bad name.

Here to LLM. I hope they will be around for another 50 years!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #77
BroadHopper

Default Thurston's rentals

Tonight just before 8 PM. A Thurston's Marine rental bowrider cruised right by me as I was heading into the Weirs Channel. The boat at above wake speed traveled down the channel to the marina. Circled around outside the marina cutting off another boat in the channel. Looks like he was supposed to return by eight and didn't make it?

Just because he was late does not give him permission to violate the laws of the State of NH.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #78
Formula

Default here to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeport Landing Marina View Post
Definition of rumor - A statement or opinion widely disseminated and alleged to be true though its veracity is unconfirmed.

After reading these posts and several others, we are amazed at how quickly negative hearsay can spread. Forums were originally established to be the modern equivalent of a traditional bulletin board and not a venue for gossip, individual’s opinions or someone’s soap box. It’s a shame how some people in society abuse, misunderstand and misconstrue the meaning behind our first amendment.

So it’s been a few days and the Purchase and Sale Agreement from Irwin Marine to buy Lakeport Landing never showed up. We waited patiently and thought perhaps they changed their minds…or wait…may be it was just a rumor??? At this point I think it’s safe to say Irwin’s “big announcement” may have been their annual tent sale…Surprised???

To anyone who may be curious enough to ask or obtuse enough to believe the “rumors,” let us confirm from the original source that Lakeport Landing Marina is here to stay. We have worked too hard for too long to give up now and our employees and customers mean far too much to us to let these types of rants go unnoticed. We appreciate the continued support of everyone who has worked with us and for us and look forward to many more years of continued service.

To our fellow marina owners on Lake Winnipesaukee who we have known and cared about for many years, we hope that you are having a prosperous and rewarding summer and look forward to seeing you soon.

Thank you,
Lakeport Landing Marina
I am glad that you are here to stay on the lake. Are you still the manufacturers rep for formula? I have looked on line with formula and the nearest dealer is in NY??
Please confrim that you are still formula's number one dealer
Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #79
AC2717

Quote:
Tonight just before 8 PM. A Thurston's Marine rental bowrider cruised right by me as I was heading into the Weirs Channel. The boat at above wake speed traveled down the channel to the marina. Circled around outside the marina cutting off another boat in the channel. Looks like he was supposed to return by eight and didn't make it?

Just because he was late does not give him permission to violate the laws of the State of NH.
Hi BH,
Not bashing you in anyway, but you cannot and I do not think you are, blame the dealership for this person's actions on the lake, i think it was stated before, that this would be like blaming enterprise or Avis or a car rental place for the actions of what their renters are doing, much like them, the boat dealership takes on a huge risk, liability wise, property wise, and obviously name wise, when renting a boat

Now LLM, please tell us that it is not so and the rumor is false about the Formula Franchise
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #80
BroadHopper

Quote:
Hi BH,
Not bashing you in anyway, but you cannot and I do not think you are, blame the dealership for this person's actions on the lake, i think it was stated before, that this would be like blaming enterprise or Avis or a car rental place for the actions of what their renters are doing, much like them, the boat dealership takes on a huge risk, liability wise, property wise, and obviously name wise, when renting a boat
I agree. My point is, Boat Renters should take the full boater's safety course, not grant a temporary one. Does Hertz or Avis grant temporary license to those who rent thier vehicles?????

Why does Brad Thurston thinks it is funny whenever he hears a story about his renters???
OCDACTIVE (08-27-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #81
VtSteve

Quote:
I agree. My point is, Boat Renters should take the full boater's safety course, not grant a temporary one. Does Hertz or Avis grant temporary license to those who rent thier vehicles?????

Why does Brad Thurston thinks it is funny whenever he hears a story about his renters???
I would imagine because he's laughed at some of their boating behavior and it provides entertainment (and $$$) for him. This is the same business that wanted to calm the lake down because it was hurting his rental business?

Personally, I think that the advent of available rentals the last several years is a great thing. However, in the interest of safety for the entire lake, it might be time to think about banning the rentals of boats on the lake.

That may sound harsh, but many people live in fear of the renters, and for good reason. I think it's time to shut down the business for the good of the entire lake.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #82
AC2717

While this might be a good idea, and I stress might, and i would like stats and factual data to support this, much like everythign else, I do not think it is a good think to further cut a source of income from local business at this time

Not that I am protecting the renters, but people that have a full boating course under their wings, as well as multiple years of boating expereince are often doing the same things

Saw plenty of it last weekend behing govenors with boats speeding up to pass boats in front of them and as much as waiting to come off plan inbetween the sand bar adn the bridge just to beat others under the bridge.

Besides who is to stop someone from renting a boat somewhere else is bringing it up to the lake

In this case i take it upon my self to be cautious around rental boats, infact having the boat with the advertising on it makes it easier to point them out and stay away, it is that simple, actually makes it easier then the person with their own boats that does the same stuff

Also probably the reason that it is a discussion hear, because the boat is visabily identifiable makes it an easy target, take the ads of the boat, bet you would have a hard time figuring who is who
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #83
VtSteve

Quote:
While this might be a good idea, and I stress might, and i would like stats and factual data to support this, much like everythign else, I do not think it is a good think to further cut a source of income from local business at this time
We will give this new law the same time to review the data during the trial period as always. This is a something that has to be done, enough is enough, and the new bill has thousands of supporters.

I think the local businesses will thrive once people are not afraid to venture out on the lake again.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #84
AC2717

Quote:
We will give this new law the same time to review the data during the trial period as always. This is a something that has to be done, enough is enough, and the new bill has thousands of supporters.

I think the local businesses will thrive once people are not afraid to venture out on the lake again.
That should be found and looked into before passed into law, once into law good luck on a repeal. Things should be measured twice and cut once
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #85
brk-lnt

Quote:
However, in the interest of safety for the entire lake, it might be time to think about banning the rentals of boats on the lake.
I think that is kind of extreme and short-sighted. Just get rid of the "day pass" try-as-much-as-you-like boaters exam. The problem isn't with rental boats, pre-se, it's with people who have no business operating them.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #86
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I think that is kind of extreme and short-sighted. Just get rid of the "day pass" try-as-much-as-you-like boaters exam. The problem isn't with rental boats, pre-se, it's with people who have no business operating them.
Well we certainly have no control over who rents what, and many that have passed the full exam are just as dangerous. We could have supported a NWZ-only law for the rental boats, but one of the posts earlier in this thread shows just how dangerous these rental cowboys really are in NW zones. Just trying to save lives here.

Just imagine a dozen rental boats leaving the Weirs at roughly the same time. That's acres and acres of dangerous water for the recreating public to deal with.