Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Audio Receiver Repair

Just hook up my '70's Marantz system after 9 years in storage. The 6G speakers sounds great! The 4240 Quad receiver has no output on the left side. I need someone competent enough to check it out and repair it. Does anyone know of a repair shop in the area?
I went to BestBuy in Concord and they told me its a waste of money. The internet tells me otherwise. It's a good solid receiver and it is getting scarce as more and more people are getting back to analog audio systems.

Anyone has any leads?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default Marantz

Broadhopper

In reply to your question on the Marantz unit.

My company sells and services Pro Audio gear (think night clubs, concert halls, House of Worship etc). We don't do any consumer gear ( please don't ask) but I have a couple of suggestionsthat may help you.

Marantz is now D&M Holdings (Denon & Marantz) in NJ 631 740 0330. That is the first place I would start. If they can't help you with service I would at least request a schematic/ service manual as this will help the person who does end up servicing the unit for you.

Another place to call if D&M can't help you would be Aztec Electronics in Watertown Ma. They do a lot of older gear there and may be able to help you.

One thing to keep in mind is that MANY of the older semiconductors and IC chips from 30+ years ago are no longer available. I've had customers with "vintage" very expensive units that they were in love with forced to throw them in the "pile" because a $2.00 IC isn't available amy more.
In my industry there is a certain Pro Audio Power amp with production in the 10's of thousands that are no longer repairable because Hitachi no longer makes the output transistors. You may have to consider this possibility.

Good luck with you repair, I hope I have helped with the info I've provided.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Check the fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Just hook up my '70's Marantz system after 9 years in storage. The 6G speakers sounds great! The 4240 Quad receiver has no output on the left side. I need someone competent enough to check it out and repair it. Does anyone know of a repair shop in the area?
I went to BestBuy in Concord and they told me its a waste of money. The internet tells me otherwise. It's a good solid receiver and it is getting scarce as more and more people are getting back to analog audio systems.

Anyone has any leads?
A quick Googling tells me you're not the only one with that problem. As was said above it may not be possible (or worth the $$s) to do if it's anything complicated. I didn't find a free schematic or service manual online but I did see mention of fuses in the forum below. Assuming you feel OK with a screwdriver you might as well open it up and do the simple check of the fuses. If it's not that, or an obvious broken wire, then you can decide to spend the $$s or not.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc...p/t-90261.html
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Orion

Default A place I've used...

The Service Bench in Norwood, MA has repaired a similar vintage Onkyo Receiver I had....

http://www.hometheaterconcepts.com/d....asp?NodeId=69
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
ApS

Cool Options good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
"...The 4240 Quad receiver has no output on the left side. I need someone competent enough to check it out and repair it. Does anyone know of a repair shop in the area...?"
It's looking like parts are more of the problem than a repair guy.

Out there somewhere is a 4240 Quad receiver being "thrown on the pile" right now. Why not put out an APB at Craigslist.com offering $25 for a replacement for your specific receiver?

Make it the "donor" unit—or just maybe—make yours the donor unit?

BTW: I found a set of Audio Dynamics 404 "Loud-Speakers" for 50˘ at a church sale. I wanted the walnut cabinets, but a friend in the sound business said: Whoa!

It turns out that they're very much in the range of speakers that I usually opt for.

'Think I'll keep 'em.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Thanks for all the input

Turns out D&M Holding has a repair depot that will be happy to repair my receiver. I have to trust my receiver to the parcel services. Not sure if I can put a dollar value on it when it seems priceless to me.

I just talked to someone who lives in Lakeport who repairs audio equipment. He would be happy to take a look. He says most parts are available on the internet form a 'parts express' website. It would be helpful if you have the schematics.

I notice that the NASWA beach bar uses a Marantz amplifier. From the look of the front panel, it looks '70 vintage. The daughters must be using Peter's old stereo!