Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Severe T-Storm Watch #698

The SPC has issued severe thunderstorm watch #698 until 8 p.m. for all of New Hampshire, all of Vermont, western Maine, and all of central and upstate NY.

Severe thunderstorms are different from other thunderstorms by having hail and/or wind capable of damage. This is in addition to the other hazards that thunderstorms produce.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
phoenix

we got a micro burst that was as severe as i have seen in moultonboro this summer
Old 07-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Wicked nasty

We could see the wall of wind coming down the lake. It hit like a brick wall, knocking over plants on the porch and bending all the trees along the lake. Within minutes, there was spray (not rain) being pulled off the lake, and traveling horizontally at least 10 feet off the water. The waves were intense - we estimated three feet swells. Up on our roof, rain water was running to the bottom of the roof then being blown straight up in the air. Several times, we backed away from the porch in fear. Three years ago, a similar storm had a microburst in it and dropped a 75' tree on our house so we're still a bit skiddish. The blow lasted about five minutes, then the thunderstorms came. One of the top three fronts I've seen in 17 years on the lake and it hit with little warning. Usually, the whole day feels like its going to storm. Not this time.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Orion

Default Anyone caught on the lake?

It truly was wicked nasty......can anyone report an experience on the water?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
snowbird

Default Microburst

Same here on Gilford's outer islands. Horizontal rain for about 5 minutes but rain gauges measured only 0.2". Up to 4' waves over the dock. Many limbs down. I guestimate wind at 50/60 mph. Reminded us of an even worse event about ten years ago when I helped guide a foundering small [15'] boat with 2 adults and 2 children aboard into the safety of our boathouse. That one lasted twice as long and the kids were scared to death, crying hysterically because of all the lightning, which was absent this time. No doubt they would have ended up on the rocks otherwise. Visibility was less than 100 yards in that one, with waves about 5'. Not so bad this time. And we had some warning thanks to the radar accessed via this website.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
C Tucker

Default Storm damage

I was not at the lake to witness the storm but there were three trees down on the road in to Black Cat. Power was out and we had a large oak limb come down on a truck (smashed cab roof, window and other damage). We also had the flagpole snap (I had not taken down the flags.) Deck furniture had all blown off. It must have been wild.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
phoenix

one of our canopes was ripped off our boat dock with that first gust
Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Default Wall cloud ?

This storm was the first to freak me out in a long time. An initial cell passed to the south of the lake around 430 pm. Then I noticed the radar showing an area of severe thunderstorms intensifying as they approached from Grafton Cty. The cell heading for the lake appeared to be rotating.

The At 5 pm the sky toward Center Harbor got BLACK. It was still calm and just distant rumbling when the lights went out. That was when I got the sense that this would definitely have some element of severe in it.

About 5 minutes after the lights went out, the clouds approached at great speed, and the lake went from calm to 3-foot waves (with increasing period) in about 15 seconds. Then everything went calm again. That was when I noticed the spacecraft appearance of the cloud's leading edge. From that came what appeared to be a funnel. It clearly was not a rain shaft, but it did not rotate so I couldn't feel right about reporting a funnel and potentially causing needless alarm. It split into 3 or 4 "funnels" and as it passed to the south of the station, the wind very suddenly gusted to 43 mph from the north, taking down 3" dia. oak limbs, and the pine limbs all doubled back on themselves. We lost a few small pine branches but the limbs held. Then, the wind died, shifted to NW at 20, died again, and went in erratic spurts decreasing as the rain increased.

There was only .40" of rain with it.

I later met up with a friend who works in Wolfeboro and was approaching Alton on her way home, and she asked if I had seen the funnel. I showed her my pic of it (coming soon here... computer issues.) She said it was exactly what she had seen, except she says she saw the multi-funnels spinning around each other without touching down.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
2Blackdogs

This tree went through a lot of storms until yesterday.

Near the corner of Tuftonboro's Middle Road and Ledge Hill Road.
Attached Images

2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
gravy boat

Default Weekend Storms

On Friday afternoonmy brother was covering his boat and saw what he believes were "fingers" reaching down from som black, boiling clouds ... he was on the lake near the Owl's Nest, looking toward Ames Farm. Prior to the "fingers" descending, he thought the boiling clouds were exhibiting a circulation. He also said he saw what he believes was a water spout -- not a powerful one -- but a definite water spout. He has seen several in FLA so knows what they look like. By the time he moored the boat, covered it and got to shore the swells were over 3 feet and the wind was blowing hard. He got to the cabin to see that our umbrella, anchored by a VERY heavy cast iron base, was blown across the desk (base and all) and slammed into the grill, snapped off the grill handle and snapping the umbrella in half. This was a very heavy umbrella thickness-wise, so the force with which it hit the grill must have been pretty intense.

Shortly thereafter a tornado warning was issued for Stafford County -- maybe the same cell?

We were out at the lake yesterday and didn't see anything exceptional -- cells passed to the north and to the south of us, so we were spared.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
EricP

Channel 9 had a view from their camera at the Inn at Bay Point looking down Meredith Bay. They showed what might have been a funnel cloud. It was off in the distance and hard to pinpoint exactly where it was, my guess is past Spindle Point, maybe near Stonedam Island or just beyond, but really hard to tell.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Formula260SS

Default Weather

Broads Side Rattlesnake, just as I finished tying the boat to the dock it hit like a wall of bricks. Instant 60mph wind, spray up an over the breakwater like I've never seen, 4ft whitecaps and trees bending over. 10mins into it a Family in a 17' bowrider (with bow cover on) came by our cottage and thankfully made it to our neighbors dock. How they made it without sinking I have no idea

Nastiest storm I have ever seen out there
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Sammy

Default Friday afternoon storm

This front came through around 5pm.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Orion

Default Eery!

Wow, great shot, Sammy. Shure looks like funnel potential.

CLA, never did get your pic loaded?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
Pineedles

Default Amazing Picture

I've been through a microburst in Center Harbor before and would not want to go through another. Boats swept out of the water onto shore, trees down, utter blackness outside with the winds howling. The clouds in Sammy's picture look like they are within 50' of the shoreline, can't really tell. Whatever, it looks scary.

CLA, what's it looking like for next week? Potential of more of the same?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation Why Wouldn't They Go Away From The Storm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Broads Side Rattlesnake, just as I finished tying the boat to the dock it hit like a wall of bricks. Instant 60mph wind, spray up an over the breakwater like I've never seen, 4ft whitecaps and trees bending over. 10mins into it a Family in a 17' bowrider (with bow cover on) came by our cottage and thankfully made it to our neighbors dock. How they made it without sinking I have no idea

Nastiest storm I have ever seen out there
I agree Formula260SS, this was the nastiest that I have seen while on the island. There have been others that were more intense for the lightening, but this storm as a whole wins hands down. It came so quick. One minute the lake was almost flat, then the wall of super black clouds came along with spectacular whitecaps, which almost instantly turned into huge ones. Just as I got enough courage to go down to be sure our boat was secured well enough, the bowrider you speak of came by. I wish I had still been on the porch with my camera, what insanity! That family is so lucky to have made it to safety. The boat was hitting, by this time very big rollers. It was coming completely out of the water and tilting in a perfect way for the wind to just pluck it over. I thought for sure they were going to capsize. If they had, what could I have done to help without getting into trouble myself? After the storm passed, something floated by that at first I thought might be a person. Scared the daylights out of me. Then a 15’ top of a tree came floating by and got suck in our rocks. It was a cut tree that someone left too close to the lake. Boo!

Lesson one, when a storm is approaching, go the other way!!! They pass relatively quickly. If it is too late, find a dock or at least be going with the waves, not into them.

Lesson two, assume anything close to the lake can be blown or washed away creating dangerous hazards. Secure them please, especially big items like trees and logs!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #17
CanisLupusArctos

Orion,

Yup, my pic is in the other severe thread.

Pineneedles, I think there is definitely potential for more of the same this year. Late summer is typically the peak of New England's tornado potential. Usually that's when the cold fronts of fall start ramming into the pre-existing hot and humid air of summer.

We have already had two "tornado" storms at the lake this summer: June 22, and this one.

This year, the cold fronts have been rolling across the nation all summer long, while the summer air quickly tries to replace its lost troops only to get attacked again from the north. As long as the cold fronts keep on coming and summer continues to reclaim its lost territory, I see no letup in the regular occurrence of severe storms. There would be a letup if the cold air backed off and allowed the summertime to dwell in peace over us. There will definitely be a letup when autumn finally earns its long-term claim on New England. There will not be peace on the border between the two air masses, especially when the cold side is acting as aggressor.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #18
Pineedles

Default Thanks CLA

Not what I wanted to hear, but I feel as if I just toured Gettysburg so it makes it at least palatable. You should do network news weather. I rank you up with George Carlin's "Hippy Dippy Weatherman", for entertainment.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote