Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
krm

Default Akwa / Meredith Bay Website

Look what I found

www.MeredithBayNH.com

www.MeredithBayRealty.com

www.akwasoleil.com
krm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Paugus Bay Resident

Interesting first post eh

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 05-29-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Island-Ho

Default "Life on the Lake will never be the same."

Well, their promo certainly got one thing correct. "Life on the Lake will never be the same." I wonder how many realize the irony of that statement as the greedy developers continue to overdevelop the area?
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Default ...old name Akwa Soliel...new name Meredith Bay

It's understandable why the new partner in the Akwa Soliel development would want a better name. Akwa Soliel is difficult to spell for an internet search, and in his words, sounds like it's a toilet bowl cleaner. Maybe they thought about calling it Laconia Bay, or Weirs Bay, or Meredith Bay. Seems a stretch to name it Meredith Bay and be located in the Weirs section of Laconia, but how important is the name? It's just a name, Meredith Bay developement, and located on the old Shangri-La hillside resort above the Weirs.

Would a prospective vacation home buyer from the Boston area be more receptive to the name Akwa Soliel, Laconia Bay, Weirs Bay or Meredith Bay? How about Shangri-La-La-Land......I like that one best....Shangri-La-La-Land....sort of revisits the old Shangri-La with a modern twist(?)!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-29-2007 at 08:59 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
... Seems a stretch to name it Meredith Bay and be located in the Weirs section of Laconia, ...
Meredith Bay sounds "nicer" than Weirs Maybe they could call it "Lighthouse Point" ... it does have a lighthouse.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Akwa Soliel is difficult to spell for an internet search, and in his words, sounds like it's a toilet bowl cleaner. (?)!
Oh FLL you kill me! How about tidy bowl estates?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
Interesting first post eh
Funny, I thought the same thing. Even more strange when you consider that it seems they've restarted the building activities up there and the mysterious "krm" has not responded. Wheres the forum police when you really need them?

As to the name, I fully support "Meredith Bay" so long as they move the ugly thing to Meredith. Otherwise hows about "Brickyard Mountain Eyesore"?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
krm

Default 2nd reply

I have been at work,

Last edited by krm; 06-12-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
krm

Default eye candy

"Otherwise hows about "Brickyard Mountain Eyesore"? " Weirs Guy

I forgot how the rest of Weirs was such eye candy, Lets be realistic.... any one trying to help make the area nicer is OK with me.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
ApS

Question What's in a name, anyway?

There are no loons at "Loon Mountain".

There is no port at "Port Wedeln". (And no wedeln skiing).

There are no "harbors" at "Wyanoke Harbors", and 70% of the homes at "Grand View" will have no view.

"Carroll County Landscapers" new office has no trees, and you can't see the lake from "Lakeview Drive" or the Lakeview Inn!

The old Akwa Vista site (renamed from Äkwä Vistä) has been replaced by "Meredith Bay NH"; otherwise, I'd have linked to the earlier site that instructs us that "Akwa" (not aqua) was an old Native-American word for "water". Hoo Boy!

Last edited by ApS; 06-24-2007 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Loon added
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Default Did I miss something?

Who here was beating YOU up?The way I read it,the negative comments were directed towards the developement,not you.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
... How about tidy bowl estates?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
offmycloud

That lighthouse is butt-ugly and does not belong on the lake. It totally annoys me when developers attempt a "Cape Cod" look up here. We are nothing like the Cape.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
krm

I do find the name change odd, and wonder how city officials feel about it.

But as a matter of fact, the project is not claiming to be in the Town Meredith, it is claiming to be on Meredith Bay and in fact after looking on a map, it is in fact on Meredith Bay the body of water.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I agree that the lighthouse is an eyesore but I believe they are just trying to dress up a water tower. It's my understanding that water is hard to find all along that stretch of rt 3.Most of the motels and business' in that area have to store water.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #16
offmycloud

That is interesting! Well then, they did a nice job of covering up what could have been a bigger eyesore. Thank you for pointing this out to me - it does not bug me as much now.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm
I do find the name change odd, and wonder how city officials feel about it.

But as a matter of fact, the project is not claiming to be in the Town Meredith, it is claiming to be on Meredith Bay and in fact after looking on a map, it is in fact on Meredith Bay the body of water.

OK krm, I'll give you the yacht club on Meredith Bay, but not rest of the development. As to the eyesore bit, when (OK, IF) they finish the entrance way and yacht club sections I'll cut them some slack. A half paved road with a nice gatehouse on it and a "coming soon" sign are not a wonderful addition to the area.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I look forward to chatting with you in other threads.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
RI Swamp Yankee

I think the "water tower" was part of a larger deal with the town that involved a land swap. FLL posted some info on that here quite some time back.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #19
snowbird

Default Views to Mount Washington from "Meredith Bay"-----

-----"extend 20 miles". Which is about half correct. I wonder if the rest of their claims are as accurate?
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
Paugus Bay Resident

Update from the Citizen

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0101
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #21
flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
I agree that the lighthouse is an eyesore but I believe they are just trying to dress up a water tower.
I didn't like it at first, but it sure beats your standard ugly tower!

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Default Here's my two cents.

Typically, a housing deveoper like Akwa Soliel pays to build the inferstructure like the roads, walkways, and this rebuilt water tower, and then just gives them for free to the municipality. Spending over 700k just on the lighthouse design watertower for a better appearance than a traditional circular concrete storage tank, is a BIG price tag.

The lighthouse-water tank sits on the highest spot in Laconia. The water gets pumped from Paugus Bay, at the Water Dept facility, which is just upstream from the Irwin Marine boat business and gasoline station. Probably, the water gets treated with chlorine and fluoride at the Water Dept facility, methinks. Storing it at the highest spot in town is a method to create water pressure as opposed to using a pump and pressurized tank.

So, how's the Laconia water? Is it a good working system with regards to pressure, taste, smell, color, and price?

Heard it's best to mix with bourbon before brushing teeth?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-14-2007 at 03:46 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #23
AC2717

Default Laconia water

Quote:
So, how's the Laconia water? Is it a good working system with regards to pressure, taste, smell, color, and price?
methinks the price is a little high, but have not paid many water bills as we just purchased in September so we shall see when the bill comes for after the summer, as far as taste it is ok, color is good, and no smell that I can find in it. Pressure is excellent where we are!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #24
GWC...

Quote:
Typically, a housing deveoper like Akwa Soliel pays to build the inferstructure like the roads, walkways, and this rebuilt water tower, and then just gives them for free to the municipality. Spending over 700k just on the lighthouse design watertower for a better appearance than a traditional circular concrete storage tank, is a BIG price tag.
Guess you did not read the article link a few posts prior to yours...

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconia Citizen
The city agreed to give Stonefence Acquisitions, which is controlled by the Mailloux family, several parcels of land on Centenary Drive, where the company wants to build a marina, in exchange for easements around the water tower, whose operation will eventually be assumed by the Laconia Water Department.

Stonefence, as is customary with other developments in the city, designed and built the water system at its own expense but also worked out a formula with the municipality where it would receive "payback" money for off-site extension.

The amount was to be $181,800, Water Department Superintendent Mike Matthewman told the planning board, but now stands at $520,000.

Meanwhile, the planning board has approved several projects whose development was conditioned upon the water extension, among them the Beaver Pond subdivision on Roller Coaster Road.

Earlier this year, Southworth became a partner with the Maillouxes in Akwa Vista but Matthewman said the easement negotiations are continuing to take place with the latter's lawyer.

Attorney Regina Nadeau, who represents the Beaver Pond developer, suggested that the planning board should table the Akwa Vista re-subdivision if the easement issue is not resolved soon.

She said her client has "no intention to stand in the way of the developer" but was anxious to begin his own project.

Peter Alpert, who is executive vice-president of Southworth Development, pointed out that "a lot of these issues" predate his company's involvement with Akwa Vista, adding that progress has been made and "we think we'll reach a solution."

Planning board member Gerry Mailloux said the water department was wasting ratepayer money by having to dump water monthly — about 500,000 gallons, valued at between $2,000 and $3,000, according to Matthewman — because the water in the Akwa Vista tank was getting "stale" since only a handful of homes have been built there.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #25
wMw

Default Laconia Water...

Having moved here from North of the Notches where I had great water pumped fresh from 350 feet below the ground I found Laconia's water to be heavily chlorinated in taste and odor. Maybe I am just too sensitive to chlorine, but I couldn't drink it and was spending much of my grocery $$$ on bottled water. I finally smartened up and spent $30 on a PUR water filter/dispenser that I fill and keep in the refrigerator. Now, not only can I drink the water, it taste's pretty good, too.

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #26
krm

Default False Info

Quote:

The lighthouse-water tank sits on the highest spot in Laconia. The water gets pumped from Paugus Bay, at the Water Dept facility, which is just upstream from the Irwin Marine boat business and gasoline station. Probably, the water gets treated with chlorine and fluoride at the Water Dept facility, methinks. Storing it at the highest spot in town is a method to create water pressure as opposed to using a pump and pressurized tank.

Heard it's best to mix with bourbon before brushing teeth?
Your first statement is false, In a gated community the city will never take over the roads ext. and actually the city can only require a developer to pay their fair share and in this case Roger M. wanted the tank... the developer did not want it from what i have heard they could have just built pumps, so for the city to use the tank, the 30% of the capacity they wanted, they have to pay 30% of the cost that pertains to the tank, as I understand it per the Zoning Regs.

Last edited by krm; 06-12-2008 at 01:05 PM.