Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
winnisummergal

Question Newick's in Concord

I'm headed to the lake for my annual trip and can't wait!!! Bringing some 1st timers to Winni. A few of them get real cranky if they don't eat every 3-4 hours so I thought we would stop in at Newick's in Concord on the way from the airport to Wolfeboro. I've always gone to the one in Dover so I was looking for input from anyone who has been to Concord. Thanks...7 more weeks til serenity! Whoo Hoo!
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation Going to Wolfeboro?

Newick's is not as good as it use to be. I would head for Johnson's on Rte 11, south of the Alton circle.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Heaven

I have been to the Concord Newicks once and won't bother to go back.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
chipj29

Newicks is OK, I personally have not had any probs at Newicks in Concord (been there 3 or 4 times). But to me, it just has that "chain" feel to it. I would rather go to a local spot such as Johnson's.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We hit Newicks whenever we're in Concord.Never had a bad meal and the lunch specials are reasonable and fresh.Knowing what the stuff costs,I'm amazed at the portions there.........can barely finish one of the lunch seafood specials.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
birchhaven

Default kinda suprised

I am kinda surprised there is not a seafood chain like Newicks or The Weathervane anywhere around the lake. I can see one in the Weirs. Chains like those are usually very consistent and reliable, as long as you are not expecting something like the Oar House.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Zee

Default Yum!

We were weekly visitors to the Newick's in Merrimack until they closed abruptly a few years ago. We always enjoyed the fish. When the new one opened in Concord we tried it and were pleased with the service and food. The feel of the restaurant was different because the building was a Smokey Bones. We still enjoy it and go about once a month. The Newick's in Dover is different in that they have "ballroom" seating and you eat off styrofoam. The food is as good but the homemade potato chips are to die for.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
winnisummergal

I've been coming to Wolfeboro since 1970 and I have stopped at Johnson's for ice cream but never eaten there! I was always on a direct Wolfeboro to Beverly MA route and it never fit in the trip...now I live 3,000 miles away and might finally get there...go figure!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
CrawfordCentury

Didn't even know there was one in Capital City. We hit the one in Newington every now and again.

BTW, if you like Mexican (never knew I did until eating there) check out Hermano's on Storrs Street - parallel to Main St. across from the Market Basket/TJ Max plaza. Awesome salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnisummergal View Post
I've been coming to Wolfeboro since 1970 and I have stopped at Johnson's for ice cream but never eaten there! I was always on a direct Wolfeboro to Beverly MA route and it never fit in the trip...now I live 3,000 miles away and might finally get there...go figure!
I used to travel Rte 4 between Concord and the Seacoast a fair bit. Used to hit the original Johnsons in Northwood - and was delighted to learn of their expansion plans some time ago to the old Dot's Lunch location in New Durham.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
WinnDixie

Default Blast from the past

So that's the Johnson's everyone talks about! I remember it on Rt. 4 in Northwood...always just stopped for ice cream...long time ago! Also, very long ago...I remember Newick's in Newington when it was a small "clam shack" out much closer to the road! My (now) husband and I stopped there often for fried clams when we were in college. Also went later on when it was much bigger...and, one time when there for lunch ,several in our party kept smelling that "hot smell" you get if an iron is left on cloth too long. We didn't mention it to the waitress...the place was swamped, as usual. We should have...it burned to the ground that night! Of course it came back bigger than ever. I have not been to the one in Concord in awhile, but it always seemed good whenever I did go.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
mg2107

Newicks in Dover is the gold standard for fried clams in this area. Johnsons are sub standard ,not fresh ,soggy and greasy to boot each time I have been there which is many.Just my humble opinion as a fried clam fiend of many years and different venues.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Gold Standard

for fried clams is definitely the fried clams shack at the bridge in Kennebunkport harbor. Newicks was great two decades ago and I don't think it is up to par. Last summer I was surprised to be served great fried clams at the Red Blazer in Concord. It was a special so they don't have it on the menu.

Years ago I had great fried clams in Center Harbor at the bottom of the just past the hardware store on the left. Not there anymore.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
for fried clams is definitely the fried clams shack at the bridge in Kennebunkport harbor. Newicks was great two decades ago and I don't think it is up to par. .
My in-laws are in Biddeford so I often sample the Clam Shack clams and I'd agree. They're great!

I've been going to Newicks since I was very young. For us it's been a ritual. On the route to the lake, we're almost there when we can stop for a great (and for young parents, fairly cheap) dinner on the way.

I still love to go there and get the combo clams/sea scollops plate. Yum! I have found the clams can vary depending on the "season"
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
So that's the Johnson's everyone talks about! I remember it on Rt. 4 in Northwood...always just stopped for ice cream...long time ago! Also, very long ago...
Yeah, the one in Northwood is the mother ship. Started out as a dairy. I've seen some of the old memoribillia from when they were in the retail milk biz. So the ice cream stand was a logical outgrowth.

There's another location in North Berwick. The Rt. 11 location's the newest. Such a great location. After Dot's Lunch went down, there was a series of failed restaurants. Bland food. Worse service.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default The almost original Fried Clam joint

This is the website for the "Clambox" .

http://www.ipswichma.com/clambox/

They don't claim to be the inventor of the fried clam on the website. But they have been voted "best" by alot of ratings. I have been to this place once. It's a regular spot for my mother in law.

It is, IMHO, the real "Gold Standard" for fried clams.

Others feel the same:

http://www.capeannweb.com/restaurant...own/000489.php

The portions are very, very, big. I'd advise that you order a single... even for two people. We learned that they change the oil every day at 2 PM so service can be a little slow just around 2 PM.

Tiny little place with limited seating, but the clams were the best I've ever had. By Far!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
Lakepilot

I agree the Gold Standard for fried clams (or shrimp for that matter) has to be the Clambox in Ipswich.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
winnisummergal

Default I agree...Clambox rocks

I have to agree, the clambox is the best I've ever eaten. I try to get there whenever I'm back in the area but I have definately found I can't handle the fried food they way I used to when I lived back East...West coast eating has turned my belly into a wimp! All this talk about lobster and clams is really making me super anxious to get there!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
My in-laws are in Biddeford so I often sample the Clam Shack clams and I'd agree. They're great!

So have you or they tried the pub which is right on the river on Saco Island between the two towns? Or Mulligan's in the old mill building? I am sure you/they have. They are both great. Mulligan's amazes me when I look at the menu and everything is 3.95 or 4.95! Last time I had the best garlic butter steak for 4.95!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
I agree the Gold Standard for fried clams (or shrimp for that matter) has to be the Clambox in Ipswich.
I agree that the Clambox is excellent. Back in the old days, Goodwins in Lynnfield was the best IMO. They have been closed for years though.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #20
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I agree that the Clambox is excellent. Back in the old days, Goodwins in Lynnfield was the best IMO. They have been closed for years though.
I agree, Goodwins was a great restaurant.. I've been there many times. Do you remember Heck Allens in Lynn? That was another good one.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #21
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Smile Hey -- Heck Allens was in Saugus!

Quote:
I agree, Goodwins was a great restaurant.. I've been there many times. Do you remember Heck Allens in Lynn? That was another good one.
I grew up in Saugus, Heck Allens was great. Lynn, is the other side of the Saugus River. It's a Lynn Saugus thing.. We Sachems get a little defensive!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
chipj29

Quote:
Nope, don't remember that one, but I was probably pretty young.
I grew up in the 'hood right behind Goodwins, and was good friends with the family. In fact, I just caught up with one of the Goodwins a couple weeks ago over on Winnisquam.

Anyway, back to the Newicks topic. As I said earlier, I have been there a few times, and although it was decent enough, it seems to "chainy" to me. Not to say I wouldn't go there again though, I would.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #23
jmen24

Default Chain?

I guess I need a clarification on a "chain" resturant, Newicks only has two locations in the state of NH. They closed the Portland and Merrimack locations at the same time a few years ago and at that time it was only three locations. Chain resturants to me are Applebee's, etc. with equal food at all locations with lower than average food quality.

Have not been to the Newicks in Concord, but if the food is like Newington, it would have to be good.

Johnson's by the definitions about would be more of a chain than Newicks. Having eaten at the Northwood location, I find it very hit or miss on the food end, the ice cream is always good.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #24
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Nope, don't remember that one, but I was probably pretty young.
I grew up in the 'hood right behind Goodwins, and was good friends with the family. In fact, I just caught up with one of the Goodwins a couple weeks ago over on Winnisquam.

Anyway, back to the Newicks topic. As I said earlier, I have been there a few times, and although it was decent enough, it seems to "chainy" to me. Not to say I wouldn't go there again though, I would.
First I stand corrected. Heck Allens was in Saugus, right on the Lynn border. My father spent 38 years at GE and I don't know how many times we ate there or passed by.

Chip - Goodwins was again right on the Lynn - Lynnfield border. Which town did you grow up in? I remember a planer going down in Lynn woods behind the bowling alley on route 1. The pilot was OK and walked out to Rt 1.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #25
Belkin

Default Newicks in Newington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post

...Have not been to the Newicks in Concord, but if the food is like Newington, it would have to be good....
If we are being picky about what town places are in, the Newicks in Newington is in Dover. Newington does not start until you cross over the bridge on the Spaulding Turnpike. Newicks is on Dover Point.
Belkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #26
gokart-mozart

Default Newick's in Concord

I've enjoyed Newick's in Dover Point a couple of times - maybe the location makes the food taste better than it is, who knows?

I work in Concord, and I've tried the Concord Newick's twice. I found the food, the service, and the atmosphere to be terrible both times. It's like eating at Applebees. I would never go back there. As always, of course, YMMV.

If you like Applebees, give it a try.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #27
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I guess I need a clarification on a "chain" resturant, Newicks only has two locations in the state of NH. They closed the Portland and Merrimack locations at the same time a few years ago and at that time it was only three locations. Chain resturants to me are Applebee's, etc. with equal food at all locations with lower than average food quality.

Have not been to the Newicks in Concord, but if the food is like Newington, it would have to be good.

Johnson's by the definitions about would be more of a chain than Newicks. Having eaten at the Northwood location, I find it very hit or miss on the food end, the ice cream is always good.
I agree that Newicks is not a chain, but it just has the feel to it. Just my opinion. And gokart agrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
I've enjoyed Newick's in Dover Point a couple of times - maybe the location makes the food taste better than it is, who knows?
I work in Concord, and I've tried the Concord Newick's twice. I found the food, the service, and the atmosphere to be terrible both times. It's like eating at Applebees. I would never go back there. As always, of course, YMMV.

If you like Applebees, give it a try.
Quote:
First I stand corrected. Heck Allens was in Saugus, right on the Lynn border. My father spent 38 years at GE and I don't know how many times we ate there or passed by.

Chip - Goodwins was again right on the Lynn - Lynnfield border. Which town did you grow up in? I remember a planer going down in Lynn woods behind the bowling alley on route 1. The pilot was OK and walked out to Rt 1.
I grew up in Lynnfield. I spent a lot of time as a young'un in Lynn Woods. We use to take walks out in the woods, up by the old quarry which looked down at Circle Bowl. I know exactly where you are talking about, but don't remember a plane going down. We lived there from 1967 to 1977.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #28
jmen24

I guess I will have to try it out, it is very possible that the location of the Dover Point (thanks for the refresh) Newicks adds to the taste of the food. That would be to bad if the Concord location does not live up to the standard.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote