Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Default Shalimar

Has anyone ever eaten at the restaurant at the Shalimar Resort out by Winnisquam? It's been there for ages, but I have never spoken to anyone that's been there.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
nkiar

Default Never eaten there

I've never eaten there but went there with a group for karaoke once on a Saturday night. It was during the winter and therefore a small, local crowd that was having fun. We had a good time but didn't see anyone in the restaurant which is right next to the bar area. Will go back for the karaoke over the summer- it was a good time watching the various folks perform- some are quite talented and some just having fun and giving it their best shot.
nkiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Meredith lady

Default questionable...

It's been a year or so and I was not impressed...kinda rude service and not many choices...but it has been awhile...maybe I'll try them agian
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Old Photo

I came across this photo in the Bike Week magazine. When I first noticed the ad, I didn't realized it was an historic photo of what has now become the Shalimar. The telephone number clued me in.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
GUNNER

Default Old Photo

Boy, does that old photo of the Shalimar bring back fond memories. My wife & I dined there often back in the mid sixties. The view from the dining room window was very nice as you could see the lake across the street from that vantage point.

And the food was great. They served fried dough with your meal & we still talk about how good it was. All the food there was top notch. We were saddened when they closed their doors as it truly was a great spot to dine.

Thanks for sharing the photo & bringing back memories.

Gunner
GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Sha

Years ago, I - and my good friend, Diane - worked at the Shangri-La as cocktail waitresses for two summers (after working at the Old Country Store and eating a ton of penny candy and cheese in previous summers). The owners (or managers) of the Shangri-La were George and Mary K, as we called them, Manny was the bar manager, and Bob W. was, I believe, the general/desk manager.

Fast forward to about 10 years ago. A group of us made overnight reservations at the Shalimar for a winter weekend. When I called to make our reservations, the gentleman at the other end of the phone identified himself at "Robert" (with a French accent). He sounded so much like the Bob I remembered from the Shangri-La (he had a very unusual voice and was a bit of a prankster) I asked if he was the one and the same; he indicated that he was not.

When we arrived at the Shalimar, much to my amazement there they were, still working together after all of these years: Bob W, Mary K, and Manny's nephew(I believe, or maybe his son) managing the bar! Deja Vu! All of the furnishings/pool furniture/mis-matched table settings, were from the Shangri La! A veritable time-warp! We all remembered each other and had a marvelous reunion, and as it turned out my friend Diane was also with us!

Sorry to get off of the restaurant track, but I could not resist sharing this experience with you.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
no-engine

Wasn't their last name Spanos?
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Yes, it's the Spanos family that owns the Shalimar.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Yes, it's the Spanos family that owns the Shalimar.
Was this the same Spanos family that owned Lake Shore park in the 60's?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Argie's Wife

Yes, I believe so but I'll check with hubby's aunt to be sure... (she know everybody!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Thanks for the reminder!

Yes... Spanos it was! They also owned the restaurant that was BMae Denny's immediately following the Shangri-La, and Mary K. (when we had our encounter at the Shalimar) mentioned that all of the furnishings went from the Shangri-La, to BMae's, and then to the Shalimar. The first summer I worked at the Shangri-La, my college roommate and I were actually put in charge of managing the dining room....a lot of hard work, responsibility for two young women!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote