Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Just Wonderin

Unhappy Gilligan's in Moultonborough

I just drove past Gilligan's. Their sign said "Closed Thank You". Does anyone know if they have closed for good or only for the season?
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
dpg

Not positive but I thought they were attempting to sell this summer.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
donnamatrix

Default Maybe closed for season?

I saw the sign last night also... doesn't bode well. I know Grille25 had a tough summer also. Nobody has any more "disposable" income, especially with the stock market tanking
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

The tough market, fuel prices, coupled with a divorce- They fell behind on their payments to the bank. They are done.

Good luck restauranteers!! We need you around, especially the good ones!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
phoenix

would suspect after a slow summer that a number of lakes region restaurants will not survive the winter. Hopefully I am wrong
Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
donnamatrix

Default Gilligan's is closed, also Sandwich General Store

Heard from reliable (restaurant owner) source that Gilligan's is closed. They were very much in debt, including to IRS, evidently. Also, the Sandwich General Store has also closed for good.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
angela4design

Default Divorce

Gilligan's and the Corner Deli have both become casualties of divorce. I can't validate the IRS or the debt situation, I don't know the financial specifics, but I do know that the owners were very upset about losing the reigns on this one. ("She" is, anyway.)

The Corner Deli on Gilford Avenue has also closed, tangled up in this same web. The Corner Deli location near Gunstock REMAINS OPEN, and they do breakfast lunch and dinner; delivery, dine in and take out.

And, no I don't have any stake in the deal. I am just a frequent-enough customer to know the situation. It's a further drive, but I still support this local business.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Pineedles

Default The Center Sandwich General Store?

DM, did I read that right? What a loss! I hadn't been there for years but I remember my Grandfather taking us there after we picked up his mail at the P.O. Great memories.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
donnamatrix

Default Sandwich Store

Yes... that's what I heard, although I haven't been up to Sandwich in ages. My understanding is that the Bad Moose went to auction as a result of a divorce situation as well. Maybe SAMIAM can give us feedback on that!! However, my source of info is reliable and credible, and I have no reason to doubt his statements. It's always tough to be in the restaurant/food industry. In a down economy it can be extremely ugly. I know in our house we are trying to economize and certainly "going out to dinner" is something we've cut down to almost zippo. Next we'll be fighting the cats for the Friskies Buffet meals!!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
PennyPenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Yes... that's what I heard, although I haven't been up to Sandwich in ages. My understanding is that the Bad Moose went to auction as a result of a divorce situation as well. Maybe SAMIAM can give us feedback on that!! However, my source of info is reliable and credible, and I have no reason to doubt his statements. It's always tough to be in the restaurant/food industry. In a down economy it can be extremely ugly. I know in our house we are trying to economize and certainly "going out to dinner" is something we've cut down to almost zippo. Next we'll be fighting the cats for the Friskies Buffet meals!!
The Sandwich Stores last day of business was Sept 17th. They were also the owners of the Black Snout now The North End Restaurant.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
twoplustwo

Default confusion

The former owners of The Black Snout owned The North Sandwich Store, not the Sandwich General Store. The North Sandwich Store is closed. The Meredith News reported that the Sandwich General Store is closing for the winter, and they will continue to try to sell it before opening again in the spring.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
PennyPenny

Default You are way wrong on your info

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
The former owners of The Black Snout owned The North Sandwich Store, not the Sandwich General Store. The North Sandwich Store is closed. The Meredith News reported that the Sandwich General Store is closing for the winter, and they will continue to try to sell it before opening again in the spring.
The Sandwich Store, in the middle of Sandwich, just past the blinking light is closed. They are the former owners of the Black Snout. The North Sandwich Store is open. I live here, I know.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
twoplustwo

Default huh

I always thought Kim owned the N Sandwich Store, not the one in the middle of town. Of course there's multiple owners involved, so I'm obviously way confused, sorry! I work with her, I need to sit down with her and update my stalker notes
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
PennyPenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I always thought Kim owned the N Sandwich Store, not the one in the middle of town. Of course there's multiple owners involved, so I'm obviously way confused, sorry! I work with her, I need to sit down with her and update my stalker notes
TPT, I think we have hijacked this thread. Pretty confusing living in a small town and knowing everybody some way or another! You are right with the name Kim Elliot correct? I am pretty sure she was not involved with the day to day operations as far as working in the General Store. Regardless, it is a loss for this small little town. Yes, there are 2 other owners of the General Store. Their last name is Kerr. The North Sandwich Store did change ownership in the past 6 months or so. Anywho, come on up to Sandwich. Bring your kids or grandchildren for Halloween night. If no kids, come and walk around anyway. The Sandwich Players dress up and spook everyone along the main streets!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
cjs

Default PennyPenny

Hello, I did not realize Sandwich had this event on Halloween evening, what time does this start? Thanks in advance for the information.
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #16
donnamatrix

Default Auction of Gilligan's

There is now a huge AUCTION sign draped across the front of Gilligan's ... auction to take place on Oct 2nd, I believe. That's three restaurants in Moultonborough in the space of about 6 months that gone under the gavel.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
G & G

Where is Gilligan's located?
G & G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #18
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by G & G View Post
Where is Gilligan's located?
It's at the intersection of "Old 109" and 25, across from the Taj Mahal (otherwise known as the public safety complex).
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckdweller View Post
It's at the intersection of "Old 109" and 25, across from the Taj Mahal (otherwise known as the public safety complex).
C'mon neckdweller- our PD/FD station is nothing compared to Meredith's!! Mboro's is the Taj lite!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Cops from Boston,up here on vacation,drive by the Moultonborough PD and say..."Oh man,I wish we had something that nice"
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #21
fatlazyless

As I understand it the Coe House got sold to current owners about 16 months ago for a strong & healthy price. As a beautifull historic & residential style building that is fully commercial with its' terrific commercial location and parking spaces, got to wonder what type of a price it would fetch today? Up, down, same....which way has the market for this type commercial property headed?

It's a shame they do not stay open all year round. While I have never set foot inside the place, it 's a very attractive property located on top of the grassy slope.

Over in Tamworth, on Route 113 there's a commercial 1/3 acre, retail store, 2bed apt, w/ small garage for $159,900 which has a lot of new parts. Anyone looking to go retail and live above their store or something? Wonder what was in that spot in the past?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #22
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Cops from Boston,up here on vacation,drive by the Moultonborough PD and say..."Oh man,I wish we had something that nice"
Sam, remember that is a joint PD/FD facility. Have you seen Boston Police Headquarters? The sculpture outside cost more than the Mboro public safety building.

http://www.stullandlee.com/architecture/civic/bphq.htm

Besides, those Mboro officers work pretty hard paying for it- gotta love the 2 mile long 30 MPH zone!