Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
wishiwasthere

Thumbs up The Woodshed

NECN's tv diner had the Woodshed as one of it's featured restaurants today. They got the Platinum Plate! I still haven't gone since I started another thread inquiring about it last year, and am still longing to go. We just didn't have the chance to go out for dinner, and had the best weather week so far this year (july 12-19) and stayed in/by the water. My SIL and MIL went and said it was great! I thought I would post this positive thread for The Woodshed. Watching the show brought back great memories! Perhaps I will make it up to the Lake again this year The show is airing again tonight at 7pm.
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

The review and the video appear on their homepage. Here's the link...
THE WOODSHED

I've never been! It's a long way from Alton but it sure looks nice.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
NECN's tv diner had the Woodshed as one of it's featured restaurants today. They got the Platinum Plate! I still haven't gone since I started another thread inquiring about it last year, and am still longing to go. We just didn't have the chance to go out for dinner, and had the best weather week so far this year (july 12-19) and stayed in/by the water. My SIL and MIL went and said it was great! I thought I would post this positive thread for The Woodshed. Watching the show brought back great memories! Perhaps I will make it up to the Lake again this year The show is airing again tonight at 7pm.
Good for them- I like the Woodshed!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Pineedles

Default Southern Dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
The review and the video appear on their homepage. Here's the link...
THE WOODSHED

I've never been! It's a long way from Alton but it sure looks nice.
mcdude,
Your excellent dining establishments down in the Alton area are a long way off too, wish I could go to them. For those of us in Center Harbor, it's a 15 minute ride and well worth it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
phoenix

still me favorite restaurant here given all variables food, price, atmosphere . My daughter and son in law are visiting from Phoneix and went last night and raved about it
Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
twoplustwo

You should've stopped by and said hi, Phoenix. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Newfie

Smile

Glad to see some good reviews of the Woodshed. Early this summer there was some negative talk on the forum- but we have been there three times this year and I think some of the kinks we saw last year have disappeared! My husband's family has been going there probably since the original owners and they brought me there 24 years ago when I first visited. Our family now goes 4-5 times every summer. It is a favorite and a place that mid-winter when we are back home we long for- especially the salad with house dressing and the mushrooms!
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
JDeere

I agree that the kinks have been worked out. I have been 3x this year and evertyhing was great.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
KonaChick

I'm starting to think after 3 bad experiences and 3 years later I just might need to go back after reading these glowing reviews!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Bob&Catherine

Thumbs up The Woodshed

We've been going to the Woodshed for years now, its great to see them get some well deserved recognition ! Can't wait to go again !
Bob&Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
hazelnut

Default Phew!

Tragedy avoided???? I hope so. I was so bummed out to hear of negativity with regard to this long standing flagship restaurant. I have not visited this year YET! It's on the calendar as a "thing to do." Boy I wish you could take the boat there ..... Great to see positive news associated with the "shed."

Keep up the good work!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Red face Woodshed never fails

Another positive plug for the Woodshed.....We went last week and had excellent meals/service. It was on a dreary Tuesday evening, and I was amazed at the number of patrons there. A good sign, especially given this challenging economy. I posted on an earlier "Woodshed" thread, but thought I would re-iterate my sentiments here. I hope you are all seeing some sunshine in the Lakes' Region today. It is cloudy in New Haven and looks like we might be in for some (more) storms. Cheers!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
BeaverIslandGuy

Default mixed review

Recently took 6 to woodshed.

The good - Food was excellent. Staff recommendations were thoughtful and on-target.

The need-improvement-category.

Children's menu. petite portions of primerib and filets are nice, but in terms of more basic fare, the only choice was a hotdog. We asked if we could a get basic buttered pasta or something else simple, and were told no.

Service - I would give a 3.5 of 5 due to the following. We had asked for the kids (both under 8) to be brought out early. We even ordered these first as we (adults) did our drink orders. Waitress agreed, but the meals came out MUCH later with our main meals (ie after drinks and salads). How long can it take to do two hotdogs and rice? While I know it is more difficult to split service, no other restaurant anywhere has had an issue with this request when combined with an immediate submission of their order.

Again, before I get slammed, the woodshed was excellent. This was the first time we have tried to take our young kids, but they are very well behaved and we have not had any issues taking them to any restaurant. If you have kids under 10, I would think twice about going there. If others have had better experiences, I hope you post to show this was an exception, not the rule (this would make me happy as well).

Minor issues compared with overall experience, but I know many restaurants read these reviews and if you don't offer constructive criticism, the owners won't know they need to improve.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandGuy View Post
Recently took 6 to woodshed.

The good - Food was excellent. Staff recommendations were thoughtful and on-target.

The need-improvement-category.

Children's menu. petite portions of primerib and filets are nice, but in terms of more basic fare, the only choice was a hotdog. We asked if we could a get basic buttered pasta or something else simple, and were told no.

Service - I would give a 3.5 of 5 due to the following. We had asked for the kids (both under 8) to be brought out early. We even ordered these first as we (adults) did our drink orders. Waitress agreed, but the meals came out MUCH later with our main meals (ie after drinks and salads). How long can it take to do two hotdogs and rice? While I know it is more difficult to split service, no other restaurant anywhere has had an issue with this request when combined with an immediate submission of their order.

Again, before I get slammed, the woodshed was excellent. This was the first time we have tried to take our young kids, but they are very well behaved and we have not had any issues taking them to any restaurant. If you have kids under 10, I would think twice about going there. If others have had better experiences, I hope you post to show this was an exception, not the rule (this would make me happy as well).

Minor issues compared with overall experience, but I know many restaurants read these reviews and if you don't offer constructive criticism, the owners won't know they need to improve.

BIG- Good review. I think you are likely on the money-we usually go without the kids and I think the WS likes it that way.

BTW you should never get slammed for an honest post on this forum!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
twoplustwo

Default sorry BIG

You're right, that isn't a big request and it's a request that's made often - I do double fires on tables with kids all the time. No matter where I go, I find that lots of younger servers who don't have kids don't get it; I tend to say "fire the kids' food now!" and the restaurant-speak hits the inner cortex, if you know what I mean

I'll let Denise know to remind the servers what early means in terms of kids and their food. I hope we can do better by you next time.

VB, I really hope you've never felt your kids aren't welcomed at the Shed. I love serving the kids, they make things fun
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
You're right, that isn't a big request and it's a request that's made often - I do double fires on tables with kids all the time. No matter where I go, I find that lots of younger servers who don't have kids don't get it; I tend to say "fire the kids' food now!" and the restaurant-speak hits the inner cortex, if you know what I mean

I'll let Denise know to remind the servers what early means in terms of kids and their food. I hope we can do better by you next time.

VB, I really hope you've never felt your kids aren't welcomed at the Shed. I love serving the kids, they make things fun
2plus- That is really not the case- us adults all need some alone time, perhaps I should have worded it better!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
Shore Driver

Thumbs up

The Woodshed is a favorite of my wife & I. My only complaint is I'm not a fan of the room on the far side of the bar - I always try to request the upstairs.

Can't wait to go on Labor Day weekend.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
joann721

Thumbs up Dinner at the Woodshed

Dinner for "4" on Saturday night at the Woodshed. We brought Uncle Sal - first generation Italian. He is very particular about his food, that is why we were taking him out, not cooking for him in a kitchen in a camper. Anyway,
he cooks for his family everyday, he is a purist, he grows it, he picks it, he cooks it, he eats it. So we thought long and hard about where to take him because he usually doesnt like restaurants. He ordered the prime rib... medium rare... baked potato with butter on the side.... Salad plain with oil and vinegar and lots and lots of bread. He ate his entire meal without a single complaint or fuss. He loved it his steak was cooked perfectly (thank goodness). Before his dinner came he remarked that he hoped his food was plenty hot..because he likes his food hot !!.. when it came ... PERFECTO.... Thanks to everyone at the Woodshed for not letting us down..

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
phoenix

Four of us went on sunday night. two had salmon( me included) , one had scallops , one had crab legs. All raved about the food. service was good owner did come over asking how our meal was, we had a good bottle of wine( Greg Norman sharaz) atmosphere is one of the best in the lakes This was my second visit this summer and overall I would give it an " A"
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
GrandmaBig6

Default We Loved It!!!

My husband and I went to the Woodshed last Thursday night for our last big night out of our vacation. I had the prime rib, done perfectly, and he had the filet mignon. He said it was perfect, the best he has ever had, cooked just the way he likes it. Of course he finished off dinner with a ice cream puff and me a hot fudge sundae which were also good.

And the waitress was very attentive even though she was dealing with a rather large party at the next table.

My mom and aunt went this past Tuesday night. They were both looking forward to the Boston Scrod and they were not disappointed. They said their food was excellent.

We don't get up to NH except once a year, but next years August vacation we'll make The Woodshed a place to visit twice.

Mary (and Frank)
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #21
Janet

Ditto on The Woodshed. Went there 2 weeks ago and had a great meal. Will go again.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #22
wifi

Ditto on the ditto. Was there last night; always good food, professional acting staff, I think one of the best values in the Lakes Region
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #23
BlackCatIslander

Default Another Ditto

We went last Thursday and, as always, had a wonderful evening. The entrance is spectacular in the summer with all the flowers blooming. We had the lobster stew to start and then the rack of lamb and the scallops. Desert was the Denver Pudding, always a favorite. I will admit that my wife and I are big fans of the Woodshed and love the food and the setting.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
KonaChick

I have posted in the past about my not so great experiences at The Woodshed several years ago. With all the positive reviews I've been reading here lately it makes me think I'm going to have to give it another try!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #25
Lakegeezer

Default Back to greatness

After several expensive meals of questionable quality, years ago, I took the Woodshed off the "goto" list. Last night, they earned their place back on it. We went out with a large group, who had picked the location. Even though the place was packed, the service and food quality was perfect. Maybe it was the double size drinks in a snifter that got me in the right mood, but from appetizers through my main course of steak, all was fine. The place is still pricey. The bill for two of us was just under $100 before the tip, and we didn't save room for desert. The price will keep me from going too often, but no longer the quality.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
The Big Kahuna

Default Give it another try

After reading the positive reviews we will give the place another chance. The last time we went was over a year ago after having two OK meals and one bad experience. Sounds like they are getting their act back together.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #27
Lucky2Bhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
After several expensive meals of questionable quality, years ago, I took the Woodshed off the "goto" list. Last night, they earned their place back on it. We went out with a large group, who had picked the location. Even though the place was packed, the service and food quality was perfect. Maybe it was the double size drinks in a snifter that got me in the right mood, but from appetizers through my main course of steak, all was fine. The place is still pricey. The bill for two of us was just under $100 before the tip, and we didn't save room for desert. The price will keep me from going too often, but no longer the quality.
My experience is that everyplace becomes expensive in a large goup with drinks and appetizers. At the Woodshed a top entre' is about $26 including salad. Add a shared appetizer and $26 bottle of wine and the total is $86 for a very full 3 course meal w/a full bottle of wine. Not too bad!
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
Fishy Cover

Default Woodshed is Wonderful

We had heard that the Woodshed quality and service have slipped under the present ownership, and went there last night with low expectations. I'm happy to tell you that it was especially good, much better than expected. The food was just superb, everything from appetizers to dessert, and the service was excellent-- attentive but not obtrusive. There were 6 of us and we had a wide variety with everyone raving about their meals and the generous drinks. The owner-ess stopped by as we were eating and asked if she could get us anything else, a very nice and welcome touch.

I'll give it 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishy Cover For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (12-14-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #29
camp guy

Default Georges Diner

For all-around good food, no pretentious ambience, straight-up, hard-working servers, and a price to match the quality, you just can't beat George's Diner in Meredith. Oh, by the way, I think neck-ties and dress up ware are prohibited!!

Following a misical performance at Gilford Auditorium my granddaughter asked if we (gramma and grandpa) could go back to Wolfeboro by way of George's Diner. My granddaughter told gramma what a great place it is, so we went, and enjoyed every bite.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. (How long to ice out?!!)
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote