Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Tires - Mixing Tread designs ?

I have a couple tires on the front of my SUV that need replacing.
Rather than go to my local favorite 'Town Fair Tire', I called a local junk yard who has the exact size tire I need 245x60x18. 18" tires are hard to find !

He has a matched set of tires with extremely low milage, the catch is the tread design is totally different than my original Michelin Latatude Touring tires.
Matched set are Goodyear CS TripleTread, with a very different tread design.

Question..... Would it be wise to replace with Goodyears' with the tread design diff, and if so would it cause any issues with the car as it's 4WD (2013 Explorer).

Oh... one last question, maybe someone can explain what each of those numbers on the tire indicates, it's always been a mystery to me....
245 x 65 x 18
I know the 18 means that its an 18" tire, but don't know what the other numbers mean ???

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Meredith AK

Default Tire size

I can't answer your mismatched tread question, but tire size numbers mean the following:

245 This number indicates that your tire has a width of 245 millimeters
60. This number means that your tire has an aspect ratio of 60%. In other words, your tire's sidewall height (from the edge of the rim to the tire's tread) is 60% of the width.
18 diameter of wheel rim in inches
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Poor Richard

If the 4WD system is "permanent" as in always engaged, I would avoid mismatched tread design.

If the 4WD system allows for switching to 2WD, I wouldn't worry.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
If the 4WD system is "permanent" as in always engaged, I would avoid mismatched tread design.

If the 4WD system allows for switching to 2WD, I wouldn't worry.
Thanks Poor Richard ! The 4WD is constant and cannot be changed to 2WD.
Will avoid the tread diff. and remember for the future !
Lesson learned !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Rusty

Click on the link below and than click again when it says to click here.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mixing+tire+tread+design+on+car
upthesaukee (06-21-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

As PR said, if it is constant 4WD you should have all the same tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default AWD vs 4WD

Constant 4X4 are usually called AWD. It is electronically controlled. Some AWD can even sense the difference in tread depth!

I had a set of WR 3Gs on my MB with about 40% tread left. One tire suffered a road hazard. I had road hazard warrantee on all tires. The Nokian dealer strongly recommend replacing all 4 tires under the warrantee instead of one, otherwise the AWD mechanism will act up.

I replaced the WR 3Gs with WR 4Gs at no additional cost. Great tires!
LIforrelaxin (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

It all been said here.... but some notes on All wheel drive....

You must really look at the manufactures instructions, especially when under warranty. They will specify the max tread depth offset. From my knowledge, the tightest tread depth offset is with Subaru... When one tire goes you just need to replace them all... It sucks I know.... but you can and will screw up the drive train of an AWD car otherwise... and all AWD will specify that the tires have to be matching for tread pattern etc.....
Old 06-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I understand the reason for same diameter (tread depth effect diameter) on 4 & AW vehicles but what is the issue with tread pattern. Never been able to figure that one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I understand the reason for same diameter (tread depth effect diameter) on 4 & AW vehicles but what is the issue with tread pattern. Never been able to figure that one out.

I think it all has to do with clearances--the same diameter tires keep the differentials/gearing moving equally. Given that tread can affect traction, which affects slippage, which affects clearances/symmetrical movement, there is a need to keep tread pattern the same.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
ApS

Exclamation Slipped Belts from Accident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have a couple tires on the front of my SUV that need replacing. Rather than go to my local favorite 'Town Fair Tire', I called a local junk yard who has the exact size tire I need 245x60x18. 18" tires are hard to find ! He has a matched set of tires with extremely low milage, the catch is the tread design is totally different than my original Michelin Latatude Touring tires. Matched set are Goodyear CS TripleTread, with a very different tread design. Question..... Would it be wise to replace with Goodyears' with the tread design diff, and if so would it cause any issues with the car as it's 4WD (2013 Explorer). Oh... one last question, maybe someone can explain what each of those numbers on the tire indicates, it's always been a mystery to me....245 x 65 x 18 I know the 18 means that its an 18" tire, but don't know what the other numbers mean ???

Thanks !
When dealing with a junk yard or used car tire establishment, ensure that you can return the tires if you uncover something wrong.

New car "take-offs" are there for a reason. (Noise, ride, tracking, etc.)

Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #12
Rusty

The week and year the tire was made is important also.
As you can see in the below image the tire has 5107 on it..51st week 2007.
Attached Images

Newbiesaukee (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Constant 4X4 are usually called AWD. It is electronically controlled. Some AWD can even sense the difference in tread depth!

I had a set of WR 3Gs on my MB with about 40% tread left. One tire suffered a road hazard. I had road hazard warrantee on all tires. The Nokian dealer strongly recommend replacing all 4 tires under the warrantee instead of one, otherwise the AWD mechanism will act up.

I replaced the WR 3Gs with WR 4Gs at no additional cost. Great tires!
This all seems a bit unclear to me. You replaced all tires, warranty was in effect (for one tire?), and no additional cost.

I've been here, before, and am interested in your final cost to replace all four tires (mounting/balancing included?).
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Constant 4X4 are usually called AWD. ...
I had a set of WR 3Gs on my MB with about 40% tread left. One tire suffered a road hazard. I had road hazard warrantee on all tires. The Nokian dealer strongly recommend replacing all 4 tires under the warrantee instead of one, otherwise the AWD mechanism will act up. ...
Very interesting, I hadn't thought about this. The next car I am thinking about is an AWD. In the past I hadn't bothered with road hazard warranties because I considered it unlikely to happen and the cost was that of a single tire, maybe two depending on wear. But if the risk is having to replace all 4 tires, that makes the warranty a better deal.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Warrantee

To make it clear, One tire hit a sharp object in the road. There was visible damage on the tire that appears to be a large gash in the tread. The tire did not lose air, but close inspection shows the aramid fiber was damage.
I showed the dealer the tire, as I knew I had the comprehensive package for all 4 tires. This include road hazard coverage, free replacement first 6 months or 2/32 of tread. after this the warrantee is pro rated.

The tires were worn to about 40% tread left. Because the car was AWD, the dealer suggest that I cannot replace one tire as the new tread will effect the AWD. He decided to replace all 4 tires under the warrantee. (Later I found out that Nokian has a road hazard warrantee included with all new registered tires, on top of the VIP road hazard warrantee. Not sure which was used.)

2 was pro rated at 43% and 2 was pro rated at 29%. This was determine with a tread gauge. The discount was credited toward the purchase of the new tires. I paid for the installation, shop fees and tire disposal. So $137 was credited toward the new tires.

VIP includes with each tire:
Tire rotation
Flat repairs
Tire pressure checks
road hazard coverage
lifetime balancing
changeovers
All free for the life of the tire.

I'm sure to be competitive, all tire dealers have similar deals. I don't shop around for perks, just tire prices. After this experience I will.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
nhcatrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post

Traction. You don't want tires that grip better on one end of the car compared to the other, too easy to loose control in an emergency situation. Same reason why tire dealers encourage you to buy 4 snow tires instead of two. If you just put snow tires on the front of a fwd car you will find it very easy to loose control of the back of the car.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
AC2717

Biggd,
I have had very good success a couple times buying tires with 60% and up tread life left on Ebay and them shipped to my door, most times free. just plug in your size. Two i did had odd sizes and sure enough i found them on there.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Potential handling issues aside, I dont think the drive system cares at all about different tread. What is important though is the actual rolling circumference. One wheel making less rotation than the others is not good for 4wd systems is why it is recommended to replace all if the tires have more than 10% wear or I've seen no more than 3/32 difference.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
Poor Richard

It's more of a general statement to keep all "like" tires on each corner of a 4WD or AWD vehicle. The reality is, many of the AWD systems can handle mismatched tires and some systems aren't bothered even by different sizes of tire front to back.

On the permanent 4WD systems, the limitation typically comes down to the transfer case.

Tread design is likely not a factor at all for the mechanical aspect of a given vehicle drive system however mismatched tread design can result in complaints from the vehicle's electronics if the vehicle senses the ever-so-slight differences in rolling resistance or perhaps differences in tire design as a result of speed rating.

For whatever it's worth, of all the AWD and 4WD vehicles I owned, the only time I've ever replaced all 4 tires due to a tire failure was with the permanent 4WD system in my (then) 2005 4Runner.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote