Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default SiriusXM Installation - Lakes Region

Satellite Radio.
Car/truck.
Portable.

Looking for business in Lakes Region that can install antenna and such for an older vehicle.

Anyone have any recommendations for shops that deal with installation of XM satellite radio receivers in older vehicles - in the Lakes Region.

Thanks.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
MGWillia

Can't speak to a "business" but with our older car we used the magnetic mount on the trunk. It was about 2 inches by 2 inches with a thin black wire, which in our case, was easy to install and hide. It may be an option.
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

yes you can buy a XM "car kit" either online or a place like Best Buy. Comes with the power outlet, mag mount antenna, even some mounting brackets for the radio. So easy somebody in Kindergarten could do it.

They run about 50 bucks.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
JPC

Default XM boat radio

I have a car XM that I used in my boat in summer and in my pickup truck. Bought an extra antenna and leave it on the boat. My antenna on the truck is on the roof by the windshield (right front) and I ran the wire under the door weather stripping, across the glove compartment and to the radio. The radio mounts on a bracket (included with the radio) that attaches to the vent louvers on the dash. Select a station on your car radio that is blank (ie. no reception) and set the XM to the same station. Easy Peazzie!
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
TheProfessor

Thanks for all of the great suggestions for Do it Yourself.

But I am seeking a store/shop/facility - that actually does this installation in the Lakes Region or further if none here.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Vanworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Thanks for all of the great suggestions for Do it Yourself.

But I am seeking a store/shop/facility - that actually does this installation in the Lakes Region or further if none here.

Thanks.
Im sure these guys can help you out. They are in Gilford. They have done a lot of work on my boats for me and I recommend them... http://www.vanworkscaraudio.com

Good luck!

Dan
Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Im sure these guys can help you out. They are in Gilford. They have done a lot of work on my boats for me and I recommend them... http://www.vanworkscaraudio.com

Good luck!

Dan

They do excellent work!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Sirius/XM blows. JK, sorta, but as one of the first 100 subscribers to Sirius I've long been disappointed by the cutting out--dreams of repeaters at bridges in America were obviously never realized--rain fade, and what seems to be lower-than-FM quality these days. Certainly something going on in terms of bandwidth and compression.

In any case, just a suggestion to consider Pandora or similar on a smartphone. Good luck!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
JPC

Default Radio Installation

Best Buy Geek Squad

Geek Squad® - Advanced Satellite Radio Installation (Hardware Not Included) for $79.99
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
Best Buy Geek Squad

Geek Squad® - Advanced Satellite Radio Installation (Hardware Not Included) for $79.99
More like the hatchet squad. I wouldn't let those clowns touch anything I own, never mind pay them 80 bucks for 30 minutes worth of work which they would no doubt screw up. If you are going to pay to have this done at least take it some where reputable, not the "jiffy lube" of technology.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (01-27-2015), BroadHopper (04-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
More like the hatchet squad. I wouldn't let those clowns touch anything I own, never mind pay them 80 bucks for 30 minutes worth of work which they would no doubt screw up. If you are going to pay to have this done at least take it some where reputable, not the "jiffy lube" of technology.
Maybe someone should tell Sirius about Best Buy, their website sends you to Best Buy for installation. Put in your ZIP code and see who Sirius recommends: http://www.siriusxm.com/installerlocator
Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
MeredithMan

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Sirius/XM blows. JK, sorta, but as one of the first 100 subscribers to Sirius I've long been disappointed by the cutting out--dreams of repeaters at bridges in America were obviously never realized--rain fade, and what seems to be lower-than-FM quality these days. Certainly something going on in terms of bandwidth and compression.

In any case, just a suggestion to consider Pandora or similar on a smartphone. Good luck!
Interesting commentary. I've had them for a number of years in several cars....presently have it in my car, my wife's car, and our daughter's car....never had an issue with losing signal, and we do a lot of driving all over New England.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-27-2015), upthesaukee (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Some head units have a small buffer to prevent cutting out, but none of my friends or I could make it through Boston, Lowell, or any other decent metro area without dropping signal next to high rises or expansive bridges.

It obviously probably isn't much of an issue in the lakes region, and I think I might--might--have been able to deal with it if the sound just wasn't so terrible. The promise was greater than the delivery.

Quite simply, there's a reason almost nobody pays more than $25/6 months these days.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

WE lose ours in places where there are tree or bankings. Between Alton and Gilford for quite a while we get nothing. Going to Rochester in a certain area, going to Maine from Sanbornville right after you cross the border, any place like that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Some head units have a small buffer to prevent cutting out, but none of my friends or I could make it through Boston, Lowell, or any other decent metro area without dropping signal next to high rises or expansive bridges.

It obviously probably isn't much of an issue in the lakes region, and I think I might--might--have been able to deal with it if the sound just wasn't so terrible. The promise was greater than the delivery.

Quite simply, there's a reason almost nobody pays more than $25/6 months these days.
That's the only time I subscribe always do it on their "come back" specials then I call and cancel, the hell with them. All they do is place the same songs over and over and over again anyway.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #16
tis

And you never know what day or week the talk shows are replayed from…..
Old 01-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #17
granitebox

I wouldn't trade my Satellite Radio for anything. I spend a lot of time in the car and travel between markets - having consistent new/music and talk is the best thing for the car ride.

As for cutting out and such - it happens to me infrequently - certainly not enough to even consider a negative aspect. I do NOT drive in cities so cannot speak to that aspect of it.
granitebox is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-29-2015), TheProfessor (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Maybe someone should tell Sirius about Best Buy, their website sends you to Best Buy for installation. Put in your ZIP code and see who Sirius recommends: http://www.siriusxm.com/installerlocator
My impression of Sirius/XM is that they probably could care less about the quality of the radio installation, so long as they get a subscriber that's all that seems to make them happy.

They are a total pain to work with, I have been a subscriber for several years and every year I call to cancel and every year I get transferred several times before I finally talk to the last person in line that typically will offer the best price. I suppose there are enough people that buy a subscription and don't care it's costing them twice as much to let it just auto renew versus calling them up and saying hey I want a better price. Last year I re-upped for another year at a cost of 59 bucks for their select package. I was happy with that, usually it's more like 100 bucks but I was offered a promotional deal supposedly only available to new subscribers... maybe they took offense to my comment about how new customers are treated better than long time loyal ones such as myself.

It is nice to have it, I spend a lot of time in the car commuting and quite frankly I find the morning shows on broadcast radio to be repulsive and crude to say the least and most of the programming music wise not to my taste. I understand HD radio is pretty good but have never tried it. Streaming via busybox (cell phone) is great if you have enough data to do it and happen to frequent areas that have 3 or 4G coverage. I just have one portable XM radio I use in the car, boat and camp.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #19
rscalzo

Quote:
WE lose ours in places where there are tree or bankings.
Exactly why I dropped them. With leaves on the trees it never worked on smaller back roads. For the $180 they wanted it wasn't worth it and my car had the pro instal from the factory. The $20 for six months wasn't bad and I gave it a try. But after the test period is over they want the normal $20 or so a month per car.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Depends on the vehicle

I have a 2007 Tahoe that has never had great reception on Sirius. It is really poor when there are a lot of trees, clouds. or I am in the shadow of a mountain. But, I also have 2013 Chrysler 300 and the reception is great. I very seldom lose signal and the sound quality is just fine. I really enjoy Sirius.

The difference in reception quality may have something to do with the age of the vehicle, and maybe the technology has improved, but I don't know enough about those things to say so.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #21
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have a 2007 Tahoe that has never had great reception on Sirius. It is really poor when there are a lot of trees, clouds. or I am in the shadow of a mountain. But, I also have 2013 Chrysler 300 and the reception is great. I very seldom lose signal and the sound quality is just fine. I really enjoy Sirius.

The difference in reception quality may have something to do with the age of the vehicle, and maybe the technology has improved, but I don't know enough about those things to say so.
All about the amount of buffer the SAT radio has, the more it has the less sensitive it is to momentary signal loss.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #22
wifi

Quote:
All about the amount of buffer the SAT radio has, the more it has the less sensitive it is to momentary signal loss.
True for streaming on the internet with two way communication, not true for one way reception, unless the "packet" is retransmitted many times on its own, which is a total waste of bandwidth.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #23
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Just as yesteryears, all has to do with the quality of the radio receiver and the quality of the antenna.

My 1990 Chevrolet 1500 (before satellite radio) - just ordinary radio - I had to replace the factory antenna 3 times - as GM somehow placed the factory antenna with a "connection" midway - that would corrode/rust. And radio reception would degrade over time.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #24
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
As for cutting out and such - it happens to me infrequently - certainly not enough to even consider a negative aspect. I do NOT drive in cities so cannot speak to that aspect of it.
There is a difference between factory installed satellite radio receiver and aftermarket added satellite radio. Some of the early aftermarket satellite radio add-on kits came with an antenna that is/was not the strongest.

I have an older aftermarket add-on in my other vehicle. A unit that I can take from car and take inside home and play. I had that older unit professionally installed in Phoenix, AZ for $30.00. Been using for many years. Operates perfectly driving cross country. Up here in hill and mountain country - yes, the signal does come and go on occasion.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #25
tis

We never had an after market radio.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #26
brk-lnt

Quote:
Buffer is only part of it. Satellite radio is one-way, the radio can't request lost parts. They use a forward error correction scheme, along with basically dual-broadcast of all streams on two frequencies with a 4 second delay. This gives you about 10-12 seconds of overall buffer ability. If your radio loses a signal for more than 10 seconds, or is only able to lock onto one of the streams, you risk the dropouts.

Overall a better antenna and receiver, and better antenna placement is the best solution to poor signals.

We have Sirius/XM in all our vehicles and on the boat. I've been a subscriber since about 2004, and have tried all combinations of portable units, OEM installs, aftermarket HU's and so on. The boat gets the best coverage, since it is generally out in the open water and have the standard Sirius/XM marine antenna, but even there we've gotten random dropouts for no explainable reason.

I agree that Sirius hasn't lived up to its initial hype, but I find FM radio grating these days. Censored content, tons of commercials, and absolutely asinine DJs on every major station. These days we listen to Pandora or similar streams in the vehicles, but Sirius still gets played regularly enough that I can't give up our subscriptions yet.

A couple of the vehicles also have HD Radio. In the end, HD Radio is really just FM radio, but more channels. Same basic music. Same censorship, same commercials.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #27
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post

I agree that Sirius hasn't lived up to its initial hype, but I find FM radio grating these days. Censored content, tons of commercials, and absolutely asinine DJs on every major station.
All is a matter of taste and probably a generational thing.
I don't do music. Just the news/talk stations. And there are enough for all from Fox News to MSNBC to BBC.

The business model of both Sirius and XM was good in the beginning. But my guess was that not enough car manufacturers geared up early on to place satellite radio in cars.
Ford was later then GM to offer this in most vehicles.
My opinion was that these two manufacturers should have used same technology for both so that any customer could choose one or the other.

But not enough revenue streaming in the beginning hurt both.
The FCC then allowed a merger - a monopoly.

Finances being what they are - advertisements have to enter.

I did like the iHeart stations as iHeart owned a stake in SiriusXM - but they sold out and some interesting stations/personalities were dropped.

There is nothing more entertaining listening to Alex Jones - telling the audience that the world is collapsing - and that all should buy silver - and then an advertisement from a company that sells silver. But Alex is gone when iHeart sold out. Oh . . . Alex is still out there - just not on SiriusXM.
So tempting to stock up on silver when it was $35.00 an ounce. Ah . . . but I missed that opportunity.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #28
Paugus bay girl

People actually still use XM/Sirius? I thought they went out of business, especially now in the age of smartphones, where you can just use Pandora or Spotify,for a fraction of the price of you get the premium version, or like I do, use an iPod, where I only have to hear the songs I like. I used to have XM and it to me was a waste of money, all the songs they played were on my iPod! LOL anyways, go to Vanworks if you think you must have XM
Paugus bay girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #29
tis

We also rarely listen to music, Professor. We have it for the talk.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #30
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We never had an after market radio.
Well, good for you. Maybe I used the term incorrectly.

I don't have an aftermarket radio either. I have a factory installed radio.
Factory installed radio.

But in 1999, none of the manufacturers offered satellite radio in any factory radio.
So therefore, the satellite radio is "portable". And there are kits that can be used to use this portable satellite radio in the car and in the home.

I am seeking the name of a garage/store/facility that will professionally install my radio/antenna. And I don't wish to do this myself.

My car radio is factory radio. My Sirius/XM radio is a factory portable radio.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #31
PaugusBayFireFighter

I've been real happy with Sirius since they started online streaming. I'm now able to listen to XM/Sirius on my motorcycle, boat, at the gym, etc. by streaming on my iPhone. For eight dollars a month it's worth every penny. Amazon Prime now offers similar radio stations that I can stream anywhere.
I enjoy falling asleep to the old time radio shows. The Shadow, Escape, Dragnet, etc. They also play the commercials and ads (war time effort to sell bonds or rationing tips) that were played back in the days. Cigarette commercials, which sponsored much of the old radio shows, are hilarious.
"More doctors, from every branch of medicine, smoke Camels than any other cigarette.”
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #32
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

After one year of free Sirius with a new car I wasn't impressed and decided to drop the service. then the marketing began.....mailings and quite a few phone calls. they finally offered it to me at half price. that kinda ticked me off - especially if I had re-upped for full price. the woman on the phone said to me "Isn't there even one station that you like?"....when I said no she actually started yelling at me!!

I love the river....wxrv / 92.5....and you get fine reception from south of Boston to Alton. http://theriverboston.com/ (actually located in Haverhill/Andover). When I lose reception my ipod works just fine.

When cruising around NH they also broadcast from 102.5 (Concord, NH) and 105.7 (NH Lakes and Mountains) ...check them out!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #33
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Bluetooth

Slacker, Pandora et al apps are available for smartphones. Pair the smartphone to the radio and wah laa! Free wireless radio. Far better reception than Sirius and no special installation! The sound quality is superb over my Infinity system!

Don't have Bluetooth? Radio Shack has an adaptor to 'bluetooth' your old radio. 60% off at the nearest store closing!

Last edited by BroadHopper; 04-27-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #34
TheProfessor

Quote:

Good luck!

Dan
Vanworks in Gilford did not work out. I tried. They do not have and can't get the parts for a 2003 Ford to put satellite radio in vehicle.

Last edited by TheProfessor; 09-19-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Spelling (again)
Old 09-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #35
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Vanworks in Gilford did not work out. I tried. They do not have and can't get the parts for a 2003 Ford to put satellite radio in vehicle.
Is it parts you could find on EBay?? Some of the older satellite tuners are no longer available and the only place to find them is on eBay. I just went through this myself...

If you could find the parts, I'm sure they would install....

Dan
Old 10-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #36
TheProfessor

Quote:
Dan
Well, I did got to VanWorks. They are not really informed about satellite radio.

I ended up purchasing a new XM receiver with Car Kit from Best Buy for $40.00. Just plugged it into aux and it worked.