Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
wickedtravelah

Default update on Shaw's property in Tilton

I heard that Michael's Arts & Crafts was looking to open at the old Shaw's building... I haven't been that way in some time; can anyone comment as to what may be opening in the future?
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
minni on winni

I don't know what's going into that space but I hope it's a Christmas tree shop or an Ocean State Job Lots !
minni on winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hannaford's old store...

We were told by someone who works at the old Hannaford's in Gilford, where Walmart is, that the old Hannaford store is being subdivided and part of it will be a Michaels. Haven't seen any signs there, tho.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Alton Bay

That would be great!
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Default that's what my wife and sister in law say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
That would be great!
they are both knitters, and my wife does counted crossstitch as well.

Think DMC floss...not that I pay attention...now was that # 642 or 624 or 426 or...
Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
wickedtravelah

I found this on a development website... They advertise that the vacant property is between a Staples and a Michaels:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18477...ad-Tilton-NH/#

The Following User Says Thank You to wickedtravelah For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
minni on winni

There is a restaurant Green Ginger that is not in the photo. Staples at one end .Green ginger at the other.The plan must be for more than one store in the space. Maybe a Michaels and a Christmas tree shop.
minni on winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Andrea.wiltfong

Default oh I vote Michaels!

I so wish and hope that it is a Michaels LOL, with my cakes, it is such a pain to find some of the items I need, and I would love to take a few more classes just to keep up with the latest stuff that wilton offers (although I don't use there food items LOL I make my own) but the classes are pretty cheap at michaels and much closer to us!

Although a christmas tree shop would be great, my husband would probably divorce me LOL I love me my christmas tree shops! Its better to have at a distance for sure LOL.
Andrea.wiltfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I wonder if there will be a lot more space available in that shopping center.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...7jM/story.html
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
phoenix

many retailers are getting hit with internet competition . Radio Shack closing many stores as are a lot of other chains . That Staples I think is only office store anywhere near lakes region so maybe it will survive but I am sure if the numbers don't support it will close also
Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Duke's

There's construction going on in the old Hannaford's in Gilford. Doesn't seem like Michaels would open in Tilton and Gilford.
Duke's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
wickedtravelah

The Tilton site is advertising a Michaels...

http://www.easternretail.com/pdf/til...shawsplaza.pdf
Old 03-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
bruinsfan

Just curious if anyone has heard what is going to occupy this old Shaw's property in Tilton.. The property was recently sold to a new owner.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGUY4LIFE View Post
They have now totally removed the former Shaws storefront.Completely gutting that space out.Its a wide open space now with nothing in front.Cant figure out what they are up to.There is nothing online about any permit or town meeting with Tilton on this.Obviously they are trying to do this secretively.But why would you do all that demolition just to tailor the spot for a potential tenant that hasn't come forward yet? If there is a possible new arrival,could it be an Aldis? A Whole Foods? A Trader Joes? Price Rite? A Target? By the looks of it,nobody will know until they are ready to announce it.
Sure seems like your really infatuated with this....why don't you just approach one of the construction workers there and ask?.... might put your mind at ease.

Dan
Old 05-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
NHGUY4LIFE

On the weekends, construction companies usually aren't around. And as far as being "infatuated". Frankly I wish the place would be vacant for another 4 years. Shows how bad the landowners are that they hadn't been able to attract anyone to a spot that is a 100% sure fire winning location.
NHGUY4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGUY4LIFE View Post
On the weekends,construction companies usually aren't around.And as far as being "infatuated".Frankly I wish the place would be vacant for another 4 years.Shows how bad the landowners are that they hadn't been able to attract anyone to a spot that is a 100% sure fire winning location.
There are no guarantees that any business will succeed in any location. The business, the employees, and the needs of the community will determine that. Eight out of ten new businesses fail within the first two years.

That spot is a very difficult location for a grocery store to compete. With BJ's, Market Basket, and WalMart all selling groceries in the immediate area it would seem ill advised for someone to open a fourth store selling groceries at that location.

The current renovation of the former Shaws location indicates that someone is investing a substantial amount of money to make alterations that will suit their needs. At some point it will be revealed what is going in there but it does not seem that the new tenant owes anyone an advance announcement of their plans.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #17
wobbelbill

When I asked at a neighboring business last week, I was told it was Hobby Lobby that was going in there. Can't vouch that this be true, but that's what I was told.
wobbelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #18
upthesaukee

From the May 17, 2017 Laconia Daily Sun:
TILTON — A protective fence now blocks the entrance of the former Shaw's Supermarket, and the warning signal of a backing forklift periodically sounds as work begins on the future site of a Hobby Lobby arts and crafts store.
The national retail chain already has stores in Manchester, Nashua, Rochester and Seabrook, and it is advertising for a co-manager in Tilton who isn't afraid of a "roll-up-your-sleeves" management approach.
Bob Miller, communications coordinator for Hobby Lobby, said the company is looking forward to opening in Tilton. No date has been set, but the 55,000-square-foot store expects to bring 35-50 new jobs to the community.
"We are always looking for new locations to better serve our customers," Miller said. "The success of our stores in New Hampshire led us to look at Tilton. We think this is a great location and we are eager to get the doors open and become a part of the community."
Hobby Lobby currently has more than 750 stores across the nation, adding 56 new stores last year (including eight relocated stores), and plans call for opening in 60 locations this year, which would mean jobs for 1,700 to 2,500 new employees, according to Miller.
Each store, Miller said, offers more than 70,000 crafting and home decor products, including floral, fabric, needle art, custom framing, baskets, home accents, wearable art, wedding supplies, arts and crafts, jewelry-making, scrapbooking and paper crafting supplies.
Store hours will be Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Hobby Lobby stores are closed on Sunday.
Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., an Oklahoma City-based corporation, began in 1970 as Greco, a miniature picture frame company, in David Green's garage. When Green moved his business to a 300-square-foot retail space in 1972, he renamed it Hobby Lobby and now it advertises as the nation's largest privately owned arts and crafts retailer.
For the ninth consecutive year, Hobby Lobby has raised the minimum wage for its employees, paying $15.70 per hour to full-time employees as of April 15. Part-time employees earn $10.45 per hour.
"Our company would not be successful without the great work employees do each day in our stores," Green said in a press release announcing this year's increase. "We know that if we reward our employees for their hard work we will be rewarded in turn with their loyalty and dedication to their job and our customers."
Green credits the success of the company to his parents, who emphasized faith, a strong family, and generous living. "Green shares principles that have guided him in growing a business from scratch, weathering a Supreme Court case, raising a loving family, and leaving them a lasting legacy," the release states.
The U.S. Supreme Court case arose from Hobby Lobby's challenge of the provision in the Affordable Care Act that required employers to provide contraception, and the company ultimately prevailed on religious grounds. The case recognized closely held corporations as persons, which brought Hobby Lobby and similar operations protection under the free exercise clause of the First Amendment.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app