Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default Park Model Crane Install Help

Hi All,
I'm looking for suggestions. In a couple weeks, I'll be having a park model trailer (33 x 11.5) installed by crane. The trailer it is replacing is currently up high on concrete footings. The old trailer is currently up against a porch (being disconnected as I type). The new trailer will have to be put up against the porch.

Question 1: I think the crane will need about 12" of space on both sides of the trailer for the spreader bars. If so, the old trailer will need to be "slid" away from the porch to provide space for the spreader bars. How would that happen? I'll ask to confirm, but would the crane be able to pull it away first? If not, what would I use to temporarily support/slide the old trailer away?

Question 2: Do we think that after the new trailer is put in place that the crane will be able to connect to the tow hitch and move it to where it needs to be?

I should be meeting with crane people to confirm but am interested in your thoughts. Go!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Seaplane Pilot

Come on, FLL. You must have a solution to this gentleman's problem by the creative use of foam noodles! Give this man a hand!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Probably not foam noodles because they would get too compressed under that big weight, and have too much friction.

All things considered, I would get about four 2"x4"x16'pt studs, pressure treating makes them a little more slippery ...... and then return the next day to Lowe's for a full cash refund ..... after having someone else to purchase them with a credit card!!! ..... all perfectly going by store, buyer friendly Lowe's return policy.

Lowe's: ... where you pocket the returns cash.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Patofnaud

I just this summer replaced my old 2002 trailer with a 33x11.5 park model shingle roof unit.

I removed my porch hardtop roof, I jacked my porch up by about 6 inches, then I put roller skates (actually 6k load car dollies from Amazon) and ripped 1/2 plywood down the middle and made runways for the skates.

The day before unit came in, I rolled the parch with all its walls still attached about 2 feet away from the unit and when it gat installed I rolled it back
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
I just this summer replaced my old 2002 trailer with a 33x11.5 park model shingle roof unit.

I removed my porch hardtop roof, I jacked my porch up by about 6 inches, then I put roller skates (actually 6k load car dollies from Amazon) and ripped 1/2 plywood down the middle and made runways for the skates.

The day before unit came in, I rolled the parch with all its walls still attached about 2 feet away from the unit and when it gat installed I rolled it back
Yeah, moving the porch was looked at, but because there's a deck attached to it, an installed patio, and too little space to fit a tow truck, it's not really an option.

I just spoke to another crane company and was told they can get within 1/2", which is the width of the cable. I'm hoping that's the case!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Closure: crane was able to use chokers to remove old trailer and steel beams to install the new one. To come up with room for spreader bar cables on top, we removed a couple feet of the roof since that was going to be replaced anyway.

Cheers!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Reilly

Default Not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Probably not foam noodles because they would get too compressed under that big weight, and have too much friction.

All things considered, I would get about four 2"x4"x16'pt studs, pressure treating makes them a little more slippery ...... and then return the next day to Lowe's for a full cash refund ..... after having someone else to purchase them with a credit card!!! ..... all perfectly going by store, buyer friendly Lowe's return policy.

Lowe's: ... where you pocket the returns cash.
Going out of business because of dishonest people like you who screw up good things for everyone
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote