Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Best Martini

Over the years I have found that Martini drinkers are are wonderful, varied and fussy bunch. At least I am. There is an amazing variety of drinks that are called Martinis, for example in Ireland when you order a Martini you get a glass of Vermouth. My Daughter-in-Law, otherwise a wonderful woman, likes a Martini made with Blue Curacao, Vodka and Triple Sec.

My favorite Martini (I like traditional gin Martinis) was at the Los Angeles Marriot Airport where the bartender would shake the gin with ice, pour it into a frozen martini glass and then hand me a perfume atomizer filled with Vermouth so I could spray to make it as dry or as wet as I wished.

Locally I find that Canoe and Lakehouse are about a B, Woodshed a B+. The only A+ are my friends Dick at Ambrose Cove or Steve on Cow Island who really understand what a Martini is all about. Most restaurants are C- or lower in my opinion. But this is a matter of personal taste, isn't it.

I'd love to hear from Forum readers about what their tastes in Martinis are and which places in the Lakes Region have the best. Perhaps a contest would be in order.

Last edited by Fishy Cover; 08-28-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
wildo

Dry with atomizer like the Ritz Bar in Boston is the best. Canoe is the best local try but specify dry.

The worst is the Coe House-the ditzy bartender can barely mix a beer.

I will also recommend Abe and Louis in Boston for a jumbo version that went well before the Stones last week.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Frank

I am a dedicated Tanqueray-10 gin martini drinker. I like mine very cold and almost bone-dry. I fill a shaker with cubed ice, put in half a shot of dry vermouth, shake it, and then pour the vermouth out. I then add a generous portion of Tanqueray-10 and shake it hard, causing small slivers of ice to break off into the gin. Pour it into a nice, chilled martini glass, add a couple of large olives, and there it is! Sometimes, I also add a dash of Pernod - try that sometime.

- Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Dave R

Made with Tanqueray 10 and dripping wet (20%-25% dry vermouth) served with two vermouth spiked cocktail onions rather than an olive (really, a "Gibson") suits me perfectly thankyouverymuch. I hate olives. We serve Martinis and Gibsons in these cool glasses with no stems that sit inside little ice filled cube shaped glass containers so the drink is always ice cold and never changes in taste.

Little rant:

Never understood why dry Martinis are so popular. Can't understand how anyone could screw up making a dry Martini either, I mean it's just ice chilled and mildly watered down gin with an olive if it's dry. What can go wrong? One could take a bottle of gin, add a bit of water, toss it in the freezer and dump it in a glass with an olive in it to get the same effect.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
Fishy Cover

Default Martini recipes

The responders have already demonstrated the point that martini drinkers are particular about how their martinis are made, and that there are many ways to make them.

As an avid and frequent boater I am concerned about scurvy, a disease common among long distance voyagers caused by the absence of Vitamin C. The juniper berries used to flavor gin have a high Vitamin C content that can be supplemented by a twist of lemon. That's why I drink martinis for my health, to fight scurvy.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Pepper

Thumbs up Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover
... That's why I drink martinis for my health, to fight scurvy.

I laughed out loud at your last line, and surely will chuckle occassionally for the next few weeks, every time I think of it. Thanks for the best laugh of the day. Good humor is without question one of the best things in life.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper

I laughed out loud at your last line, and surely will chuckle occassionally for the next few weeks, every time I think of it. Thanks for the best laugh of the day. Good humor is without question one of the best things in life.
Fight scurvy and malaria with a gin and tonic. The quinine that gives tonic its unique bitter flavor is used to treat and prevent malaria and of course the lime juice augments the vitamin C in the juniper berries as well. I have not had any signs of malaria or scurvy since I started drinking gin and tonics so I know it works.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote