Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Sundancer320

Default Cottage flooring

Ok experts and camp owners. Looking for advice on pro’s and con’s of flooring types. Seasonal cottage on post and piers and want to find best flooring replacement. It’s between glued down vinyl planking or a floating type of vinyl planking. Anyone have experience with these?
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
feb

Default Floor Creaking?

Not sure how old your place is but if the floor has some give to it and creaks then I'd say avoid anything glued down. My kitchen and bathroom are glued down linoleum. When the temps are warm it isn't an issue. But if I come up to check out the place in the cold temps and walk on it, it sounds like cracking glue and makes me worry I'm ruining the adhesion so I limit my contact with it.

But this is a seasonal place where the inside temp is the outside temp during the winter.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Sundancer320

I am leaning toward something that flex’s with the temp...worry if glued down surface buckles than the whole floor will have to come up vs. a few snap in pieces...
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
DBreskin

I have floating vinyl plank. I’m very happy with it and although I’ve never had a problem, I like the peace of mind knowing I can easily replace a damaged piece by disassembling the floor.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Formula260SS

Wide pine, nail it, sand it and poly it.

More work but well worth it. 10 yrs no issues. It gets banged up a bit in a good way.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Wide pine, nail it, sand it and poly it.

More work but well worth it. 10 yrs no issues. It gets banged up a bit in a good way.

Seasonal camp? Why yes real wood.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #7
Grady223

A high grade glued down vinyl. We have Tarkett Permastone in our island cottage. 15 years old and still looks like new. Indestructible and very realistic.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
SAB1

I have floating vinyl plank and do not recommend it in a seasonal camp. It expands and contracts to much with temperature changes and after a few winters you are likely to get some of the interlocking seams that do not go back together in large spaces.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (09-04-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

What about wide pine blanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
AC2717

can't say enough about the flooring we put in our place last year. It is Tranquility from Lumber Liquidators. 100% vinyl all the way through, can basically put it in the floor of a pool, has a great texture and grain to it, we get compliments from people over and over again, it is thicker than pergo and Armstrong version, well pergo does not have full vinyl, even the builder love it.

here is a link to the main page of the LVP (luxury Vinyl plank)

https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...d=SUBNAV_Vinyl

it is considered a season cottage, and we have had it over a year now - it does pay to put a good close cell foam for underlayment - I did not purchase the one form lumber liquidators, I purchased from a website called best laminate - was a much better product
https://www.bestlaminate.com/floor-m...-underlayment/
Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
SAB1

That is same Flooring (Tranquility/Limber Liquidators) I put I put in the finished upstairs of my garage. I also used the foam underlayment. It was fine for the first 3 winters but last winter I had three planks pull away from the ends of the planks they butted up to. This is in a large room thats about 12'x24'. The smaller two rooms up there are 10X12 and those rooms have had no issue. No idea why it was fine the first few winters and then became a problem. I asked around before I installed it if it would do OK under seasonal use. Some said yes some said no. It was gamble and I knew it going in. Im going to watch it this winter and next.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
That is same Flooring (Tranquility/Limber Liquidators) I put I put in the finished upstairs of my garage. I also used the foam underlayment. It was fine for the first 3 winters but last winter I had three planks pull away from the ends of the planks they butted up to. This is in a large room thats about 12'x24'. The smaller two rooms up there are 10X12 and those rooms have had no issue. No idea why it was fine the first few winters and then became a problem. I asked around before I installed it if it would do OK under seasonal use. Some said yes some said no. It was gamble and I knew it going in. Im going to watch it this winter and next.
Laminate flooring is plastic. Plastic doesn't react well to extreme temp changes. I personally would not use it if it was a seasonal cottage. Wood is much more forgiving during temp changes. JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote