Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Well water pressure ?

I just moved into new home that has well water which uses a pump to deliver the water to the house. The house is only 14 yrs old.

I've noticed that the water pressure is no where that I had on city water in old house.

Is there anything I can do to increase the water pressure?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Size of water lines

What size water lines do you have? 3/8 inch? 1/2 inch?

Our house was a trailer and the water lines are 3/8 inch. Water pressure is quite low. Short of tearing out walks and snaking pex around, we put up with it.

When we go away and take a shower at a motel or a house on city water, we think we died and went to heaven.

Also what size pump?

Take a five gallon water can and see how long it takes to fill it. Number of minutes to fill the 5 gallon can divided by 5 gives the gallon per minute flow rate. (Gpm)

Good luck

Dave
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
ITD

Get the system inspected, sounds like the tank diaphragm may be busted which will burn out your pump.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #4
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I just moved into new home that has well water which uses a pump to deliver the water to the house. The house is only 14 yrs old.

I've noticed that the water pressure is no where that I had on city water in old house.

Is there anything I can do to increase the water pressure?

Thanks !
That's not surprising and normal. Most have either a 50/30 or 60/40 pressure switch. There should be a pressure gauge on the t on the expansion tank. Have someone turn on the water and see where the pressure drops to and rises to. You can also take off the cover to the pressure switch and there usually is a label signifying the pressure range. If more pressure is required a booster pump can be installed to help. If the expansion tank has low pressure or has failed it will short cycle the pump which eventually destroys the pump. Also the larger the expansion tank the better for drawn down which reduces the number of times a pump cycles on and off increasing its life. Here's a video that will explain it to you . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUxXSQ740nw
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-15-2018)