Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
mogulmamna

Default Washing machine for seasonal cottage

We are looking to buy a washer for our sumner cottage. As we need to drain all water from the house each year when we close it up, I’m wondering if there are certain makes/models of washers that make this process easier. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
mogulmamna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Lakeboater

As long as you antifreeze it with RV antifreeze you should be okay. A top loader is generally easier as water doesn't sit in the bottom of the machine like some HE front loaders.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
mogulmamna (08-16-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
Bear Islander

I agree you should use a top loader.

Remove the hot and cold hoses and drain them. Put about a half gallon of RV antifreeze in the tub and set the control to drain it out. This will protect the pump and the trap in the plumbing.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-01-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

What Bear Islander said. I would look for an older type model with knobs, it is easier as you can turn It to the beginning of a pump cycle and stop It as soon as pink comes out the hose.

For my dishwasher i had to find the spec sheet a technician would use and figure out how to get into "TEST" mode by pushing a sequence of buttons. Then I can active the pump and the drain. When I see pink in the hose, I'm done.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I agree you should use a top loader.

Remove the hot and cold hoses and drain them. Put about a half gallon of RV antifreeze in the tub and set the control to drain it out. This will protect the pump and the trap in the plumbing.
I agree with the method used by Bear Islander. I set the cycle control on my machine to final spin to drain out the RV fluid. I have been doing this for over 10 years and never had a freezing problem with my machine.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
garysanfran

Default I was a do-it-yourselfer...

for years. Now I pay a plumber $175 to do it all. After he has drained all the pipes, dishwasher, washer machine, he blows compressed air through everything.

In the past, when I did it, there would frequently (too frequently) be a few drops of water left over in some strategic place that, when it froze, broke something that would be discovered when opening in the spring. On opening day you'd discover you had no running water, no toilet, no dishwasher, etc. A repair expense that should be a factor in this decision.

One year, unrelated to water problems, the anti-freeze (not enough) in my heater pipes froze. In the spring, firing up the furnace was a disaster. Walls had to be opened to repair the seven breaks in the pipes. My furnace guy took responsibility and did the repairs for free, but repairing the walls was on me. That I could do myself.

Then, the reverse in the spring, the plumber turns everything back on BEFORE I arrive...Sweet!

"A good man always knows his limitations", Harry Callahan (aka Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973).
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Barney Bear

Default Old Geezer's Delite

For years, we opened and closed our place on East Bear Island by ourselves. Removing and installing shutters. Starting up and shutting down our water system. Winterizing washing machine, and putting in RV antifreeze where needed, etc. Happily, we now hire our contractor to open and close for us. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote