Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
winterh

Default adding a second floor to a ranch

I have been considering ways to get some more space. Small lot with great location but limited in what I can do due to setbacks and maxed out impervious surface. I am considering going up and adding a second floor of 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Maybe 1000 sq ft to a 1600 sq ft footprint. I believe the foundation will support this without to much added work. Does anyone have experience with this? Any rough estimates as to what it would cost assuming nice simple cabin like finishes.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Make sure to check septic capacity of the lot early in the process--if you are deemed to be adding bedrooms, you will need additional septic, and septic capacity is based in part on specific characteristics of the land
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
winterh

Good advice but will not be adding bedrooms as I will be losing bedrooms on first floor as I expand kitchen and will lose another for the stairs to second floor. Is a 4 BR with proper septic now and will be after
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-13-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
summah1

~ 100k I got a quote for $155k to put a 2nd floor with a bathroom and finished nicely on a 30 x 30 cottage. Lots of variables in this number obviously. But it is an estimate.
summah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summah1 View Post
~ 100k I got a quote for $155k to put a 2nd floor with a bathroom and finished nicely on a 30 x 30 cottage. Lots of variables in this number obviously. But it is an estimate.
If you're on the water then I think you're place will increase in value substantially after the addition. If you're not on the water then you could be under water on the value, depending on what you have into it already, JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

You need to have somebody familiar with structural engineering to come have a look at what you got to ensure you can do what you're considering. Usually adding a second floor can be done however it's not as easy as just taking the roof off and up you go. The existing foundation, exterior wall construction and interior wall placement all play a part in what you're doing as is the support of and construction of the new roof.

How much modification that needs to be done to the existing structure may vary therefore difficult to estimate the cost. You also have to be ready to consider that it may be necessary to install structural walls in the first floor to support a second floor and that may interfere with your vision a little bit.

This type of building modification needs to be designed and executed by somebody who is competent in this kind of work, it is not trivial nor is it a job for your average guy. I've seen several houses ruined by contractors that have no clue what they are doing so shop wisely for the right person. In fact if I were to consider this I'd have a word with the local building inspector to get a recommendation. They know who is good is and who isn't.

Good luck!!!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
Poor Richard

Are the prints already drawn?

Mainland structure or island?

Town approved already or has the permitting process not begun?

Sounds like more than just adding a 2nd level considering the kitchen expansion you mention.

Is the intent to have the 2nd floor, plumbing and electrical done and you will finish or are you looking to have this completed top to bottom, sheetrock, finish work, trim, etc.

My thoughts are that an estimate is nearly impossible as the materials alone are a considerable factor...what type of siding, how many windows, which style windows, the fixtures, bathroom and on and on....

For example, I am in the midst of writing an estimate for a garage build that involves demo of existing structure and slab, install new slab, build 2 car garage with mudroom connecting to the house.

Based on a question similar to yours, the customer expressed frustration as he has gotten numbers ranging from 80k to 220k.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
Woody38

In 1996 we built a 2 story 3 car Carriage House unattached 35x28. Fully insulated and 1/2 inch sheetrock, insulated designer doors and rough plumbing and electric for the 2nd floor. Removed 7 trees and parking pad.
This cost somewhere around $80,000 as best I can recall.

-----------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
mogulmamna (08-01-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
In 1996 we built a 2 story 3 car Carriage House unattached 35x28. Fully insulated and 1/2 inch sheetrock, insulated designer doors and rough plumbing and electric for the 2nd floor. Removed 7 trees and parking pad.
This cost somewhere around $80,000 as best I can recall.

-----------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
You can probably double that today. Lumber products have taken a big jump since we get much of it from Canada and everyone is busy right now.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Plus add in the recent tariff on Canadian Lumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #11
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Sadly, Canadian loggers come into the U.S., haul back to Canada to mill wood. They sell it back to us, as a Canadian product, at inflated rates/plus tariffs?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #12
Biggd

It won't be long before we are begging Canada for clean water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #13
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Sadly, Canadian loggers come into the U.S., haul back to Canada to mill wood. They sell it back to us, as a Canadian product, at inflated rates/plus tariffs?

Really, I’ve never heard that before.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Really, I’ve never heard that before.

Have you ever heard of Irving, it's a Canadian company? They have gas stations throughout Maine and NH , own millions of acres in northern Maine , and import millions of board feet into the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Group_of_Companies

https://www.canadianbusiness.com/lif...inside-irving/
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
You make it sound as if we've been victimized by the evil northerners. But keep in mind there are two sides to every sale. If what you say is true, the Canadian loggers first bought the wood from US owners, then were able to mill it at a price below US mills. Apparently, the Canadian mills are more efficient and are providing us with lower priced milling services.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
ApS

Wink I Ain't Building Nothin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I have been considering ways to get some more space. Small lot with great location but limited in what I can do due to setbacks and maxed out impervious surface. I am considering going up and adding a second floor of 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Maybe 1000 sq ft to a 1600 sq ft footprint. I believe the foundation will support this without too much added work. Does anyone have experience with this? Any rough estimates as to what it would cost assuming nice simple cabin like finishes.
A neighbor here had a second floor added to a 1950s cottage—framed it in with 2x6s—while the first floor remained 2x4.

It was built atop a concrete block "foundation" that had a distinct lean towards the lake. The lean was "corrected" with a concrete slurry on the outside.

The house looks nice—they lost* (and gained) one bedroom—and there's been no complaints offered.
(*Lost to a stairway).

Another neighbor added a 2nd-floor bedroom which took almost a year to complete. Workers groused, "It would have been faster and cheaper to start over from scratch".

Completed, the owner agreed with that assessment.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Have you ever heard of Irving, it's a Canadian company? They have gas stations throughout Maine and NH , own millions of acres in northern Maine , and import millions of board feet into the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Group_of_Companies

https://www.canadianbusiness.com/lif...inside-irving/

You do know that the Irving saw mill in Dixfield, ME produces almost 90,000,000 board feet of white pine boards a year, don’t you?