Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default 2017 Season In The Books!

With the 2017 Salmon / Trout season now over, I am curious to hear how everyone fared and your thoughts on the fishery this past year...

For myself personally, it was an excellent year by all accounts. The quality and size of this years salmon was the best I have seen in many many years. While there was a decline in catching the "middle aged" salmon (3-4 year old), the 2 year old's being caught were very healthy and fat and loaded with smelt. Hopefully this certainly should be a good sign of things to come. The older salmon being caught certainly were very healthy and still full of life! A family member on my boat was lucky enough to land one 7 year old salmon this year that was in great shape. It's the only 7 year old ever landed on my boat in Winni! I will be very curious to see this years netting results!

As far as the rainbow trout go, all I can say is WOW, they are simply in great shape and plentiful. There were some real beauties caught this year and they are a lot of fun to catch!

Lakers, well there is a LOT of them in the lake! Lets hope this years winter derby cull a few out as I feel it is needed, or maybe reduce the size limit so more can be taken out.

Kudos to NH Fish and Game and their biologist who do a wonderful job at balancing all the species of fish in our great Lake Winnipesaukee!!

See you on the hard water!

Dan
Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
DRH

Default Good Year For Me Too!

After having been trolling for salmon on Winni. for over 30 years without ever catching much, last year Dan (ishoot308) showed me how it's done. As it turned out I didn't have much time to fish last year, but thanks to Dan's suggestions and advice I had more success this year than ever before. And, I caught my first rainbow trout ever. The fish I caught this year were all very healthy with no signs of stress or shortage of food. I'm already looking forward to next year's ice-out!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
After having been trolling for salmon on Winni. for over 30 years without ever catching much, last year Dan (ishoot308) showed me how it's done. As it turned out I didn't have much time to fish last year, but thanks to Dan's suggestions and advice I had more success this year than ever before. And, I caught my first rainbow trout ever. The fish I caught this year were all very healthy with no signs of stress or shortage of food. I'm already looking forward to next year's ice-out!
Well you could always talk to Dan about ice fishing gear rather than wait to ice out. After all you don't have far to walk!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
dt5150

we had a great season on my boat this year as well. very similar findings, very few smaller fish, and lots of older/bigger fish. several 4+ year old salmon. and in good numbers too. we didn't catch too many rainbows though, maybe 3 or 4. no big ones either.

all in all it was a great season, though somewhat short for me. i got a late start this year, mid july. nevertheless, we did our best to make up for the lost time. had a blast as always, and we caught a bunch of beautiful silver fish!
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
mattmass

Default We also did well this year

Quantity was up over the last 5 years although the size was only average with most Salmon caught between 15-18 inches. We did get a few that were closer to 20-21 inches and around 3+Lbs like the one pictures here.
All this talk if you don't provide us with pictures then it's only fish tales!
Attached Images

mattmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
goutes23

Personally I thought the salmon numbers we caught were up but were on the smaller side so here's hoping those little guys turn into big guys. Lakers were plentiful as well but down in size. I can't believe it but we didn't hook up 1 Bow this year and that has never happened so maybe it's us. Overall I hope the small sizes will turn into bigger guys the next few years. I will also say I fished for one week straight the end of July and 3 other times because I do not live on the lake.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
goutes23 is offline   Reply With Quote