Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Sundancer320

Default Spray Foam

Anyone have experience using the spray foam insulation under the cottage in the crawl space? We have about a 3’ crawl under our place built on post and pier and it has standard insulation batting that is falling out and looks like the rodents enjoy it. It’s coming out this week and think the spray foam is better suited.
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
chaseisland

Default urethane spray foam

Years ago I worked in the field of urethane foam chemistry. Be prepared to cover the foam with something like wood for the critters will gnaw at the foam ending in comprising its quality.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
djwade4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland View Post
Years ago I worked in the field of urethane foam chemistry. Be prepared to cover the foam with something like wood for the critters will gnaw at the foam ending in comprising its quality.
Critters love it. They do make a repellent one that is supposed to stop critters. But after awhile it breaks down and comes through the sheet rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
djwade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer320 View Post
Anyone have experience using the spray foam insulation under the cottage in the crawl space? We have about a 3’ crawl under our place built on post and pier and it has standard insulation batting that is falling out and looks like the rodents enjoy it. It’s coming out this week and think the spray foam is better suited.
I had the floor of a 12 x 22 room on piers sprayed with 3" of foam along with the basement walls of my house about 3 years ago. It was the best money I ever spent. No issues with critters, and I have many. If you're worried about critters you could get some metal screen/fence material and staple it to the floor joists after.
I'm going to do my garage next, walls and ceiling. I have the same issue, fiberglass insulation getting damp and falling down. Critters getting into it and making a mess.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
whkhawks

Use closed cell spray foam. The animals can't get through it. A little more money but a much better product for crawlspaces. The product is also a great vapor barrier. Good Luck!!
whkhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Lil' Barndoor Guy

I recently put an addition on my island house and the Town of Alton insisted that I insulate the entire add-on including the floor joists
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Sam603

Any recommendations for spray foam contractors in the Wolfeboro area?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Sam603 is offline   Reply With Quote